Bolts: Broad-Tipped, Addy, Runite

bikbik

I was bored so I decided to help out those who always question, "which bolts is better?"

Some says Addy is better than others and some says Broad is better then others.

Well I decided to do some experiments with these bolts.

I am 99 range and I equipped only a rune cross bow and a skill cape. No other bonus, prayers, or pots and my range attack style was on accurate.

bolt1.jpg

The experiment was to shoot out 100 of the same bolts and see: what is their max hit and their constant damages.

For Broad-Tipped Bolts:

bolt2.jpg

The max hit was 28, and I can hit constant 15's-20's. After 100 shots I ended up with 81 bolts.

For Addy:

bolt3.jpg

The max hit was 28 same with Broad-Tipped. The only thing different was the hits, I could hit a lots of under 10's then a nice 20 or so. After 100 shots I ended up with 77 bolts.

For Runite:

bolt4.jpg

The max hit was 31. I could a lots of high 20's and a few lows. After 100 Shots I ended up with 76 Bolts.

bolt5.jpg

--

Prices for these bolts as of Monday, Augs 17th 2008.

Broad-Tipped Bolts:

Minimum price: 60 Market price: 63 Maximum price: 66

Addy Bolts:

Minimum price: 183 Market price: 192 Maximum price: 201

Runite Bolts:

Minimum price: 773 Market price: 813 Maximum price: 853

--

My Conclusion is that Broad-Tipped Bolts are the best for training, because in my little experiment only 19 bolts were broken compared to the addy's bolts of 23. Plus the cost.

1k BT Bolts = 66k. 1k Addy Bolts = 201k. Which would you pick?

Other than Addy vs BT. Runite bolt hits hard but costly.

---

So the discussion is that "which is better FOR you"

For me it was BT bolts and if you want to try out this little experiment for yourself; go ahead :mrgreen: .

I've been wanting to try out broad tipped myself but it's kind of useless to train range when you have 99.

That being said, I think this expieriment isn't very accurate unless you noted each hit and got an average. Even then, 100 shots isn't a really good number. I'd say atleast 1000 of each?

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I've heard alot about broad bolts being nice for the price recently, seems that it was true :thumbup:

Which bolts are better for me? Runite, I dont mind about the prices.

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

Is there any special requirements or something of the like that would prevent one from using broad-tipped bolts?

I wasn't aware they were this good, and for that cheap too. Seems like its an all around win-win over at least using addy bolts.

KingJD36.png

So it would seem that addy bolt are just not that good altogether... It doesn't make sense that broad tips are so much cheaper, as they should be in such high demand. I guess the supply for addy is just that low...

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

I've been wanting to try out broad tipped myself but it's kind of useless to train range when you have 99.

That being said, I think this expieriment isn't very accurate unless you noted each hit and got an average. Even then, 100 shots isn't a really good number. I'd say atleast 1000 of each?

1k bolts seems a lot, but remember this is just an little test.

But yeah my experiment isn't that accurate :(

I reckon that you should use BT if you've got the time but a bit low on money, but Runite if you've got the cash.

I think a more reliable test is in order. Try it out with 1000 each. Also tell us experience per hour, not hits.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The max hits are useful, but the "subjective" opinions are not. Do tests with at least 1k, use rapid like most people do, and record each hit instead of saying "I usually hit XX or higher". At the very least, record the hits-to-misses ratios for different monsters with a larger sample. Interesting data, though.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Is there any special requirements or something of the like that would prevent one from using broad-tipped bolts?

I wasn't aware they were this good, and for that cheap too. Seems like its an all around win-win over at least using addy bolts.

smoking kills is needed I believe?

other than that: they're really cheap to make.. 300 slayer points and then only 48 gp + feathers... Making the price won't rise too much!

I've been using broad bolts since the day it came out: I don't see any different "hit behaviour" (ie less 0's, more or less arrows broken) during my tasks. However what I DO see is that it hits a bit more than mithril at least, and it's almost tied with addy bolts (though I believe adamant hit slightly harder still). I think they're somewhere inbetween mithril and adamant.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

What about gem-tipped/enchanted bolts?

they're generally too expensive for the "all day usage": I only use them at certain occasions.. (like diamonds/ruby at bosses, and emerald when doing aviansees prayer-style..). It's very hard to compare in these things since damage dealt depend even more on "randoms". (and besides I don't like training in these special locations).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Good test, I like how you weren't so caught up on the numbers. Rather you simply tested it and said what you thought was better, perception is better than data in some cases. Broad bolts own, as do arrows. And I seem to hit higher with broad than addy.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

Good test, I like how you weren't so caught up on the numbers. Rather you simply tested it and said what you thought was better, perception is better than data in some cases. Broad bolts own, as do arrows. And I seem to hit higher with broad than addy.

Perception is NOT better in this case. Facts are what we're after, and they're what should be given. The number which disappeared after so many shots was useful, but the most useful thing would be exp/hour. That would concretely tell us which bolt is the best.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Perception is NOT better in this case. Facts are what we're after, and they're what should be given. The number which disappeared after so many shots was useful, but the most useful thing would be exp/hour. That would concretely tell us which bolt is the best.

Indeed.

And i think a better test would be broad/mithril/addy since mithril used to be the old staple training bolt and is similarly priced. I already know that broad blows them out of the water but it would be interesting to see by how much. Addys are still useful for diamond/ruby bolts for boss hunting but mithril really don't have a use now. It looks like yet another nerf to the smithing skill as mith bolts were a viable training option. Similar to how infinite stock of bronze knives killed the iron knife smithing market, t trails killed rune smithing etc.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

When training you want to get the most experience per hour. It doesn't matter which training option seems faster, if there is a faster method (for a similar price) then it makes more sense to use the faster method.

redbullsigortiz.jpg

The percentage of bolts that break is the same for all ammo.

As you fire your arrows, some will miss, lodging into the ground next to the monster. After the battle, you can retrieve the arrows and use them again. Please note there is an 80% chance of keeping any projectile and that anything you fire will only remain for a couple of minutes, so be prepared to lose a few if you are training for a long time!

See, 80%.

I was going to say that the arrow breakage was random, but I thought that broad bolts being almost as good as addy was common knowledge. I guess I was incorrect. Also, the price of broads will never get too high because it only costs around 60 ea to make them.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.

I was going to say that the arrow breakage was random, but I thought that broad bolts being almost as good as addy was common knowledge. I guess I was incorrect. Also, the price of broads will never get too high because it only costs around 60 ea to make them.

56 gp, actually. And that's if you had to buy your feathers in a shop for 6 gp--they're only 4 in the GE. ::'

You can fletch a LOT of bolts in a very short time, and you can do it while doing other things too (such as playing the fishing trawler), so not only are broad-tipped bolts great for ranging, they're very profitable to fletch.

The ammount of bolts you waste is always around 80%,

just a little matter of being a bit (un)lucky

I guess I would vote for broad bolts to be the best :P

I used to use sapphire bolts myself for training ranged (only 100gp ea)

For fighting Bork and such I use Diamond bolts (e) they are kinda great!

Nice to do an experiment on experiments :lol: .

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.