Twenty-One (RuneScape related)

Princess Viola

I haven't read it yet, but there is one thing I noticed in the first sentence that I know will make the story quite unrealistic for me. Runescape is based in the Medieval times, when there were really no "Legal ages", and people often wed as early as the age of 13. 21 back then was like 40 is today.

Legal ages and marriages are cultural aspects of society. As a medieval game, RuneScape has roughly the same technology as they had in the Middle Ages on Earth. As a fantasy game, RuneScape can (and does) have a different culture than they had Middle Ages on Earth.

Besides, just because a story is RuneScape-based doesn't mean it has to be set in the same time period as the game, though from what I can tell this story is set roughly in the Middle Ages.

Well the marriage ages are quite irrelevant anyway, the fact that the story is based on Runescape and it's time period is enough for anyone to assume that by age 21, most people would be in their middle ages and possibly have multiple children that are old enough to speak. Back then the average life expectancy throughout the world was 35-40 at most, and anyone as old as 50 or 60 must have been rich enough to afford doctors and a healthy life.

A legal age for anything, as someone rightly said, is ludicrous in a world based on the Middle Ages. Such things did not exist even in the eighteenth century, much less the eleventh. Furthermore, a 21-year-old in those times was considered well into their life, about halfway in fact. The average life expectany, IIRC, was about 40. A boy generally came of age, for lack of a better term, in his mid-teens, though there was no set age. Setting a legal age at the halfway mark of a person's life is ludicrous.

Just because the specific towns and cities in RS do not actually exist does not in any way make this story NOT set in the Middle Ages, or an equivalent time period in the world of RS. The technology and the social hierarchy are enough to set RS firmly in a time equivalent to our Middle Ages. And while that does not mean social evolution has to take place in the same way that it did in our history, certain things have to happen in order. Legal ages, a product stemming from egalitarianism and its subsequent and extensive idealisms, is about seven hundred years out of place.

p2gq.jpg