28-Aug-2008 Postbag from the Hedge

Hippodo

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/view.ws?guid=postbag_33

[hide=]

Welcome to a particularly scholarly edition of the Postbag from the Hedge with me, your host Postie Pete. This month, the KBD and King Roald get a letter each, so it's a royally approved Postbag. We also have the Poll Orks on counting and Mr Mordaut explaining planar theory - make sure you bring a sickbag!

Until next time, enjoy!

PP.

Dear Poll Trolls(or whatever you are called),

Do you ever get paid? if so what are you paid? and how do you count the votes when people vote? Are there rules to being a Poll Troll?

Has there been any trolls who cheat and change the ballats?

Please respond to my friendly inquireies asap

Meep Master2

Dear Meep Master2,

We might look like trolls, but that is not what we is. Trolls is stupid, we is orks and much more cleverer than thems trolls. You can spot the difference between us and trolls, cos we look more handsome and braver.

Us Poll Orks do not get paid for what we do, cos it is a privurlege to work hard for demmocrassy. Only the most special and intelagent orks are chosen to serve the mighty polls, and we is proud of our job. It aint easy countin all them votes as each person makes their dessizions; we have to be fast and ackyoorate to make sure we doesnt miss any. The countin can be tuff, but we work togevver to add it all up. Each one of us has a speshal job to do, from puttin the votes into piles, to doin the countin, to rightin the numbers on the bord.

There is many rules for bein a good poll ork, and the main one is bein onnest. We had one ork what tried to change the votes to what he wanted to win, but we spotted him and he was sentenssed to a lifetime of cleanin our poll ork yewniforms.

I hope that my anssers have learned you something about what we does. Happy voting!

Yours onnestly,

Poll Ork 91837

Dear King Black Dragon,

My friends and I have been puzzling over a problem-a dragon related problem. the problem that we thought of, was: Are you of any relation to Elvarg? A brother? A long lost cousin? An uncle? Or..even the father? If so- or if you have no idea who that is- please reply!

Your friend ( even though im burnt by dragon fire.)

Sir Hobson1

Metal wearer,

Your attentions are misplaced. Threats gather quietly, like steam on glass, yet your head is filled with the threads between things. This is the way of the flesh-formed: to attempt to find order when confronted by chaos, even when chaos is fanged and baying.

I have learnt to talk in your terms. Think of dragons as rivers, flowing from a single mountain. The source, material and purpose are kin. Yet, each river carves a path to the purpose in a singular manner, caring not for the others unless their paths cross. While one river may be larger or faster than another, no river can claim to be a relation of another. This abstraction is dragon.

Now lift your head from this paper and uncover your compass. At each point sits a danger. You would be wise to take their heads.

KBD

Dear King Roald,

Ok, let me get straight to the point. Your city has horrified me beyond belief. From the poverty-striken areas of the south, to the undead roaming the town's sewers, to the starving dogs walking the streets, your city will soon fall into rubble.

Now, I don't know what your advisor is telling you, but it is wrong. You are building up the Northern part of your city for the rich, but you forget about the Southern part of the city! Part of it is already collapsing into it's own filth, and thieves and cutthroats stalk the alleyways, waiting for an unwary traveller to come by (In fact, you have two gangs of thieves feuding right now! Do something about that!)

Guards every day are stolen from, or killed right in your streets! And, just today, when I was visiting a good friend named Aubury, a mugger attacked someone! I quickly intervened, and to my surprise, the mugger dropped six water runestones! Now, six water runes in itself it harmless, but what if they were combined with earth and body runes? It could use magic to weaken his victim, and then kill them!

So, what do you say to all this? Are you just ignoring all of this crime and poverty going on? Or are you doing something to stop this? It just makes me sad to see one of those stray dogs to whine because they have little food (Oh, and, by the way, those strays are bothered everyday by uncaring adventurers!)!

It breaks my heart!

Please, if you are not already doing something about this, please do so in the near future to save your city from the corruption which has taken the southern part of your city!

Your (frustated) traveler,

Eragon0366

Dear Eragon0366,

As you know, the King of Varrock is a busy man. Much of the day-to-day dealings with commoners must be screened, so he does not dilute his attentions with the petty interests of his citizens and can, instead, focus upon the greater dangers to his glorious Kingdom. As such, it falls to me, Aeonisig Raispher, to reply to your impertinent letter.

Varrock is a magnificent city, and well we know the division of classes that has built up over the centuries. The "poverty-stricken areas of the south" that you speak of are not a woe to our great people, but a part of the culture. You see, if it were not for the distribution of wealth, how could you appreciate the splendour of the Palace, or the beauty of Father Lawrence's Saradomin-blessed church?

As to your concern that a mere mugger might one day harness the power of the runes: well, that is as likely as a Zamorakian establishing an unspeakable altar within our fair city!

The feuding of the gangs that you speak of is actually beneficial to our people. Not only does it keep the criminals from performing truly outrageous crimes (as they are too busy trying to kill each other off), it also keeps them in a ready state to defend our streets should the unthinkable occur. Now, is this state of affairs not a sign of Saradomin's wisdom?

With the blessing of Saradomin,

Aeonisig Raispher

Advisor to King Roald

Dear Master Chef,

I, being a member of your guild, have recently noticed something about you. You wear the honourable skillcape of Cooking, but I have never seen you cook so much as a shrimp! Why do you simply stand there, idol, while lesser cooks sweat over ranges? We all aim to be like you, to be able to purchase a skillcape, but you never seem to do any COOKING! That doesn't make sence. Please tell me!

-Fradanom,

Level 43 cook.

Dear Fradanom,

Since I've attained the rank of Master Chef, I no longer need to cook things myself but simply assign one of my grunts to cook it for me. I'm more of an...arbiter - oh, I like the sound of that - ruling my kitchen with a wooden spoon. I no longer have time for the mere trivialities such as actually cooking.

My time these days is absorbed by holding cooking competitions where I invite 'elite' chefs from around RuneScape to come to my spartan kitchen and cook for me. I then taste their food and critique them. If they manage to make something which I find reaches the laudable standard of 'barely edible by me', I'll hire them as a commis chef and train them in my arcane arts.

I still like to dabble in private, just to keep my hand in. If I ever went back to cooking you'd find my smallest hors d'oeuvres a guilty spark of pleasure, my relevés will transport you - in the taste sense rather than the culinaromancy one - to the relaxation of dipping your toes in the balmy seas off Karamja. My main courses will be the apex of the meal and will leave you satisfied for days, no longer needing normal food. Finally, my puddings are the perfect denouement, providing you with cathartic release from the grip of rapturous abandon created by my food.

Tastiest regards,

Lloyd

Dear Mr. Mordaut,

It is common knowledge among the wizards of today that teleportation spells are impressive timesavers, allowing their users to cross unfathomable distances in moments. However, it has been my observation that such teleports are always to known locations. Many a time has gone by where I have wished to be able to teleport anywhere I please - or, if not anywhere, then at least to any location I could see.

Being wise as you are, I hoped you could answer the following questions for me:

1: How were teleportation destinations created in the first place? They seem to be near important places, but who put them there, and how?

2: Why, in generations and generations of wizards, have none managed to invent a spell that teleported the caster to any place within line of sight?

3: ...especially since we can already summon objects into our hands with such ease? Could we not simply reverse the effect?

I've been such a good pupil of yours. Will you please think to satisfy my thirst for knowledge?

Sincerely yours,

Forgotenland

Dear Forgotenland,

Teleportation itself is a strange offshoot of planar theory, which involves using the power stored in rune stones to essentially bore a hole, known as a teleportation matrix, through the abyss and then loop back into our own realm at another point. This means that distance becomes meaningless within the matrix itself and you can move instantly to another place.

Well, thats the theory. When the early wizards discovered this, the 'government' immediately stepped in on their research and created the Abyssal Services Department to control all future teleportation. They now control exactly what point your teleportation matrix can address, by teleblocking all others - so only a set list of them can ever be successfully formed.

Strangely, creating a localised teleport requires a matrix of vastly higher complexity than one for a long distance. Long distances are like hitting a target with an arrow at ten paces, quite easy really; teleporting locally on the other hand is like trying to not to hit yourself with your own arrow while hitting a target youre standing on. All rather dangerous, if you ask me.

It has been suggested that certain groups in RuneScape may have operatives inside the Department, for their own ends. This would account for any unauthorised destinations which you may have seen used in your adventuring.

I hope this lesson has been informative; it might even make a good end-of-term test!

Mr Mordaut

Evil Dave's Conspiracy Theories - Issue 2

Greetings, conspiracy fans, as I am back and I have another FACEWETTING SALVO OF FACTS for you all!

It seems that my last selection was appreciated, not only by you, but by a number of EVIL-DOERS in RuneScape, who sent me theories in the post. These have been vetted by me in my SKILLCAPE OF FACTS.

Conspiracy Theory 1 From the Magic instructor on Tutorial Island

Good day, Evil Dave - long time, no see.

Three years ago, I employed a scruffy young man to look after my three dairy cows [OF TOTAL DOMINATION - E.D.]: Dolly, Emmylou and Linda. The young man would teach adventurers about milking cows and churning, and I would give him a small wage. I used to call him servant or little servant.

Well, one night I heard a ruckus and the dastardly young man had herded my trio of cows onto a raft of plain logs and teaching manuals, making a course for the mainland. I tried to Wind Strike him, but it did no damage.

Now, here comes my theory! The new tutorial has a White Knight named Sir Vant, which is so very similar to servant'! In it, Sir Vant fights a dragon with three heads, which, in the right light, could be an elaborately disguised triad of cattle! I say this man is a heinous fraud and his so-called three-headed dragon is nothing more than three glued-together bovines [OF MASS DESTRUCTION - E.D.].

By the way, if your fans ever need someone to teach them how to cook, fight or run, tell them to come see me.

Conspiracy Theory 2 From Robin Hood

Archers, being the most fabulous of all the adventurers in RuneScape (and dont you know it, you conniving melee fighters and so-called wizards), have long been plagued by a mysterious [EVIL] plot to deprive us of arrows. You may note, sweet rangers, that every now and then one of your arrows or bolts goes missing instead of falling delicately to the ground like a perfectly white feather of Goodness and Grace.

It is my belief that there is a plot afoot, hatched by those dastardly cowards, rapscallions, knaves, wastrels, cads, bounders, criminals and murderous thugs who call themselves melee fighters and mages. These rogues are in league with the imps and implings to steal our elegant ammunition so that they can build a Tower of Arrows in the shape of a monstrously huge chinchompa in a cave deep beneath Falador (which is, as you know, the home of the decidedly unpleasant and fish-scented White Knights none of whom use any ranged weapons, you may note).

When they have completed their hideous construction, this epic rodent will be trundled out and placed in a prominent location to mock us, dear and beautiful archers. Yes: they will mock us and laugh, and then very probably drink tea. The cads!

Conspiracy Theory 3 From Father Lawrence

Peace be with you, my children, the peace of calm and untroubled sleep. While I am obviously not evil, I am suffering beneath the tyrannical yoke of evil's oppression. Yea, it is true: the dark evilness of Zamoraks followers stains my humble church each and every day.

You may well have observed the dutiful parishioners who journey each and every day to listen to the good word of Saradomin in my church. These devout and virtuous folk are the very essence of Saradomins love, but Zamorak has placed a cursed upon us, and sends agents each day to slip a sleeping potion into the sacred wine that forms the core of my sermons.

Each and every day, I find myself preaching to the slumbering instead of the alert. This cannot be allowed to continue, for Saradomins will must be spread, and my parishioners can hardly be expected to spread the word if they sleep through my sermons. Please, uncover the fiends at fault here and bring the Light of Saradomin to shatter their dark ways!

/----/

What can I say, CONSPIRACY WARRIORS? These are quite clearly FIVE-STAR CONSPIRACIES that will force us all to sleep with a NIGHT-LIGHT OF UNFULFILLED DREAMS turned on. I hope they have had that effect on you too.

I hope we can talk again soon, dear fans. Sleep tight.

EVIL DAVE

[/hide]

Nice reading and funny jokes, but what interests me is the following sentence:

Now lift your head from this paper and uncover your compass. At each point sits a danger. You would be wise to take their heads.

After the announcement of the Mega Quest, and Jagex advising us to look everywhere for hints, I'm looking at this strange quote from a 'hidden hint' angle. What does it say? What knowledge does it contain?!? The KDB is saying that in the North, East, West and South sits danger.... And what about that 'taking their heads'? Are there four legendary dragons on the edges of the map we have to slay and decapitate?

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

Hmm, I guess you could add a post about the postbag from the hedge.

But couldn't you just post a link to the letters instead of posting them?

Well I saw that somebody always created a topic here straight after the new POTH came out, so I wanted the credit this time... :oops:

sighistorian.jpg

Haha, Evil Dave's conspiracy theories are always fun to read! :lol:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Perhaps the compass reference is saying that the quest will deal with evil on from all the sides of the map

such as

North: Penguins

South: Monkeys

East: Vampires

West: Elves

Wow, that I didn't think of that :shock: A brilliant idea! This would mean that we (at least) get a sequal to those Quest lines, namely Cold War, Monkey Madness, Myreque and Mourners, and maybe the Mega Quest will revolve around some (or all) of them!

sighistorian.jpg

Mega awesome reading from that could be:

Combination of Mahjarrat, Monkey Madness 2, Mep3, and next Myreque quest combined!!!!!!!!!

(but then I remembered it's Jagex)

CANE

Just to be different.

Think about it. A freaking Dragon Cane with a Dragonstone gem.

The spec will simply your character equiping a glove and beachslapping the enemy, who will break down and do the Cry emote for 10 seconds straight.

Maybe im just dreaming, but...isnt this the first time we hear the name of King Roald´s advisor? And what about the name, "Aeonisig Raispher", for some reason i feel its an anagram :?

signaturews1.png

Proud owner of a Questcape

Maybe im just dreaming, but...isnt this the first time we hear the name of King Roald´s advisor? And what about the name, "Aeonisig Raispher", for some reason i feel its an anagram :?

He is an NPC that can be found in varrock castle, he is very pro-saradomin. I think he appears somewhere in the myreque story line.

Caldius.png

Postbags are always cool to read.. but one (stupidly) stood out to me.

[hide=how you know you have an addiction]masterchefbq2.png

It's mainly the first 2 reply paragraphs that stood out to me.

When I scrolled by it kinda fast it looked like "Dear Master Chief" to me.. So hell I decided to read it. I doubt it was meant like this but all I saw was stuff related to halo after this.

- "assign one of my grunts" - Common enemy in halo.

- "More of an... Arbiter" - The Arbiter lawl 8-)

- "invite "elite" chefs"- Idk I forget where elite ties into part of the game but in a few places iirc... (enemy maybe? idk havnt played it in a while)

- "My Spartan kitchen" - Rofl :lol:

Ya I think I've played too much halo to look at the reply that way.. :wall: :wall:[/hide]

lmao #-o

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

[hide=2nd theory]Conspiracy Theory 2 From Robin Hood

Archers, being the most fabulous of all the adventurers in RuneScape (and dont you know it, you conniving melee fighters and so-called wizards), have long been plagued by a mysterious [EVIL] plot to deprive us of arrows. You may note, sweet rangers, that every now and then one of your arrows or bolts goes missing instead of falling delicately to the ground like a perfectly white feather of Goodness and Grace.

It is my belief that there is a plot afoot, hatched by those dastardly cowards, rapscallions, knaves, wastrels, cads, bounders, criminals and murderous thugs who call themselves melee fighters and mages. These rogues are in league with the imps and implings to steal our elegant ammunition so that they can build a Tower of Arrows in the shape of a monstrously huge chinchompa in a cave deep beneath Falador (which is, as you know, the home of the decidedly unpleasant and fish-scented White Knights none of whom use any ranged weapons, you may note).

When they have completed their hideous construction, this epic rodent will be trundled out and placed in a prominent location to mock us, dear and beautiful archers. Yes: they will mock us and laugh, and then very probably drink tea. The cads![/hide]

You know, I totally agree. Rangers are the most fabulous warriors in all of Gleinor! ::'

And, I am now convinced that the warriors and mages are plotting against us...Let's see how your chinchompa tower holds against real chinchompas! *stocks up on chinchompas to blow the tower apart and regain all lost broad bolts to redistrubute to the ranger world*

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

When I scrolled by it kinda fast it looked like "Dear Master Chief" to me.. So hell I decided to read it. I doubt it was meant like this but all I saw was stuff related to halo after this.

- "invite "elite" chefs"- Idk I forget where elite ties into part of the game but in a few places iirc... (enemy maybe? idk havnt played it in a while)

Ya I think I've played too much halo to look at the reply that way.. :wall: :wall:[/hide]

lmao #-o

I noticed that too. Also, "Guilty Spark" is some kind of reference to Halo, but I forget exactly what it is. (I don't actually own any Halo games, or even an Xbox)

There are probably more references that I'm missing, as well.

blackmageid8.png

He is an NPC that can be found in varrock castle, he is very pro-saradomin. I think he appears somewhere in the myreque story line.

Ya i know him, but im just saying that this is the first time we hear his real name (correct me if im wrong) and for some reason i find that name kinda fishy, come on...Aeonisig???

signaturews1.png

Proud owner of a Questcape

Perhaps the compass reference is saying that the quest will deal with evil on from all the sides of the map

such as

Good idea, I'd say the North would be the trolls though.

And possible South being Ogres, but Monkeys are more likely :P

Doomy edit: I like sheep

such as

Good idea, I'd say the North would be the trolls though.

And possible South being Ogres, but Monkeys are more likely :P

This would be a convergence of story lines.

North has GOT to be mahjaratt, nothing else in the north is a huge threat

South has got to be the monkeys which = gnome story line, which lines in red axe

East has got to be the myreque

West has got to be the elves

As for thth name i ran thru a few anagram solvers and they came up with nothing, so it may jsut be a stupid name

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Ya i know him, but im just saying that this is the first time we hear his real name (correct me if im wrong) and for some reason i find that name kinda fishy, come on...Aeonisig???

A name with history, I'm sure.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

lmao #-o

LOL I think it was intentional because there are too many references in my opinion.

erasig.jpg

If that quote is a hint of the 150th quest im pretty sure its going to be something like this for the quest:

North: We can't really be sure, but im guessing penguins.

South: Either the scarabites series or the monkeys

West: Elves/mourners/death guard and the Tyras guard. <3:

East: The vamprye and the darken.

It dosen't make sense though. Gnomes and dwarfs should be playing a part in this and the hidden city, pretty sure they are intertwined if this was to happen.

If there is a quest where is goes to all 4 sides of RuneScape. I'm happy.

If that quote is a hint of the 150th quest im pretty sure its going to be something like this for the quest:

North: We can't really be sure, but im guessing penguins.

South: Either the scarabites series or the monkeys

West: Elves/mourners/death guard and the Tyras guard. <3:

East: The vamprye and the darken.

It dosen't make sense though. Gnomes and dwarfs should be playing a part in this and the hidden city, pretty sure they are intertwined if this was to happen.

If there is a quest where is goes to all 4 sides of RuneScape. I'm happy.

Monkey Madness = off spurt of gnome series that has yet to be concluded

Dwarf quest = shows gnomes from the "stone city" allying with the dwarves

Meaning monkeys from the south = gnome and dwarf series links

Aslo as said before penguins from the north is weak that story line has yet to be developed from the north will be the mahjaraat. Aka all the zaros followers we have unwittingly helped or hindered or freed and have all headed north. Such as Lucien, Hazeel, Azzanda, Enkhara. Also note the hazeel mark recently got updated...perhaps because it will have a new use soon

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Nice reading and funny jokes, but what interests me is the following sentence:

The three headed dragon under lumbridge was the first thing i thought of. :P

Evil dave's conspiracy theories are always funny. :lol:

A name with history, I'm sure.

I don't like it either, but Jagex has to make up more and more unusual names, as the plain ones like Bob and Pete are long taken. :roll: But the npc in the game was always named 'Aeonisig Raispher', it's not like we've just found out his name.

The danger from the north is more probable to be the Mahjarrat than the Penguins, now that other people mention them. And the 'take their heads' bit may be telling that we need to take out the leaders of the four evils... :ohnoes:

(btw, I already found a mistake in Jagex's npc naming: the guy above the GE, watching the beacon, is called Waldo. But Waldo was the son of the legendary Hero Wally, who lived several hundred years ago, if I'm not mistaken.)

sighistorian.jpg