Clans & Swearing

The Observer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol @ Deathmath:

"If only life was as easy as TSA" might be our new slogan :P although I can see a few cheap shots taken at it :D

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

My clan even has a rule against the "N word" lol.

123aidan.png

Current Goal: Quest Cape

sub-Goal: Geting the skills

.gif<<< click to make them grow! dont click to make them die :(

To see all my dragons go here>>>http://dragcave.net/user/fire737

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

My clan even has a rule against the "N word" lol.

you mean [bleep]? =]

I think i know wot you meen. no noob lol :?

123aidan.png

Current Goal: Quest Cape

sub-Goal: Geting the skills

.gif<<< click to make them grow! dont click to make them die :(

To see all my dragons go here>>>http://dragcave.net/user/fire737

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

It also depends on what cultures definition of swearing you go by.

For instance, here in america the word "bloody" isn't swearing, but in other cultures it is.

I know in OLD Britania it used to be, though I'm not sure if it is today.

Never argue with a dragon, for you are crunchy, and tast good with catsup.

agamoto.png

Usually at my clan, it is mostly on a normal level, with a few swears used to simply emphasize a point, but there can be times when it gets a little crazy, and sometimes have to jump in and keep it together.

Mostly we allow swearing just because we don't find it very offensive, unless it is directed at a person or racial terms are brought up, and then it is the time to stop it until the abuse ends, but if your just talking, and your upset, or happy or some other high emotion, it can be hard to express what you mean if you can't say certain words.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Usually at my clan, it is mostly on a normal level, with a few swears used to simply emphasize a point, but there can be times when it gets a little crazy, and sometimes have to jump in and keep it together.

Mostly we allow swearing just because we don't find it very offensive, unless it is directed at a person or racial terms are brought up, and then it is the time to stop it until the abuse ends, but if your just talking, and your upset, or happy or some other high emotion, it can be hard to express what you mean if you can't say certain words.

Yeah, it sometimes makes rants laughable if you can't use swears. :P Then again, it's not all the time as most of the rants can be done without swearing.

j0xPu5R.png

When i clicked on this link i didnt expect these kinds of answers :ohnoes:

well in my clan (Lethal Blades) a swear word is basically a normal word... now we're not allowed to flame or use racial slurs but other than that nobody cares about the language. just step in our IRC or TS for one minute and you'll get an idea

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

The Moriquendi 'sorta' allows swearing. Most of the truly offensive swearing is filtered out both in our IRC and forums. So you could say quite a string of colorful words and you'd either see " sick of this " or "bullpoop quacking sick of this poop"

:D

hzvjpwS.gif

Hm i've jumpy a bit with clans due to them closing, merging, whatever lol.

In lk i know we can swear, kota always call me the c word <3:

lol :wall:

Haha, I love kota <3:

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Swearing is seen as one of the ways to define who you are as a person. Not only that, but in a clan chat channel, it always gives a representation of how people perceive your clan. If people are dropping f-bombs everywhere in a conversation and various other curse words, then people are likely to think your clan may be to immature or out of control and even lacks respect whether it is true or not. :-#

We had issues with a couple people who were dropping F-bombs every other word along with other words in a heated argument around the time a few people came in during a recruiting campaign and they left shortly after and vowed to tell others that our clan was out of control because of the conduct demostrated by the people on our channel.

The difficult part to overcome was that the two people who were swearing weren't even in the clan at the time of the offense. #-o

This changed our philsophy about language on our channel. We permanently banned the F-bomb and discourage other swearing though it still happens. We have IRC conduct rules that we try to adhere to with some leniency. We do tell people, both members of clan and non, that so long as they are on our channel they will hold themselves to the ideals our clan holds. For our chat channel, that is mainly respect for others and their feelings and beliefs. No flaming is permitted, but swearing is allowed so long as it does not get out of control. If it seems like it is, you get a warning to calm down, then kicked if you fail to comply. :shame:

In most of the clans I have been in, it's been tolerated as long as it isn't racist/slurs/extremely rampant, which I think is reasonable. In one of my certain past clans, though, the entire concept of "pretend" racism eventually got out of hand and caused a conflict between those who have decency/common sense and those who don't. The important thing is to define a clear line in order to make sure situations like that are less likely to occur in the first place.

In our clan, "offensive language" is explicitly defined as "language that offends the listener." As long as no one objects, our members are free to speak their minds.

In the case that one member does cross the line, the chat moderators handle it. Usually with a serious warning, and in a few cases expulsion from the channel. We've only ever had one member report a fellow member for breaking rule 1, and the player that filed the report did not use the appropriate mod support to solve his issue before filing, and he was severely reprimanded.

I suppose you could say we police ourselves.

joshkb8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Corruption allows you to swear, in fact our leaders regularly do. We're all adults, none of corr members are going to be offended by it. I'd never join a clan that tried to curb my language lol. That's one of the main reasons imo why fansite clans are better than ones on the official forums - no censors!

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

In The IRC channel or CC you can swear, but ofcourse keep it limited. Racism comments etc are ofcourse not allowed, but as Enzock says we're all adults and if you die because of some silly reason you have to vent your frustration a little.

signature4s.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Man the reply button is hard to find on these forums.

Anyways, Gladz has a censor for racial slurs on our boards and a few scripts in our irc that catch people off-guard, but apart from that you're free to speak your mind.

Mandatory yearly post.

-The Gladiatorz-