Runners

Georgelemmons

I won't be able to run a 400m time any better than that - I'd need a faster 100m time, and for some reason I can't get any quicker.

I get trained by someone who competes in the games, and haven't improved my 100m time in 2 years. No amount of training, supplements and diet monitoring did anything and I was so pissed off because neither of us ever figured out why.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can get muscle and ligament injuries just by using your legs too much, I do believe. But a lot of people hurt their feet and ankles and toes from running, just because of the weight and force that's in place. Sprinters especially.

What kind of injury do you have?

I'm probably have to go see a doctor about it. I ran the race okay, and my leg didn't hurt. About 10 minutes after the race I went to do my cooldown run, and found all I could do was limp. :cry:

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Well, you can get muscle and ligament injuries just by using your legs too much, I do believe. But a lot of people hurt their feet and ankles and toes from running, just because of the weight and force that's in place. Sprinters especially.

What kind of injury do you have?

I'm probably have to go see a doctor about it. I ran the race okay, and my leg didn't hurt. About 10 minutes after the race I went to do my cooldown run, and found all I could do was limp. :cry:

That's happened to me heaps of times, and I was fine after a few days. It's because you don't warm down and stretch soon enough after your race.

I ran the 4 miles of Groningen today. Did it in around half an hour. Not bad, since it was extremely crowded at the start and at the finish aswell. I've heard about 20k people participated.. perhaps some (Dutch) TIF'ers aswell?

• 4 weeks later...

If you run, do you just do it for fun, or are you on a team?

-I run for my high school on a team.

What distances do you run, and what are your best times?

-I run 5ks (which are actualy closer to 3.1 miles then 3.2 I'm pretty sure), and my best time was 17.41. \'

Any training tips?

-Drink alot so that you won't get dehydrated, and start slow... Don't try a half marathon 2 weeks into training :wall:

The statistics on sanity is that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends-if they're okay, then it's you.

soccermon9.png

[hide=]

Go to the toilet. If you feel a sharp pain, your stomach acids probably didn't dissolve it.

Would that mean I'm all cut up inside?

I dunno, go see a doctor. =/

Wtf, why waste $20 to go visit a doctor for something that MIGHT have happened, when I can just ask random people online? ^^

[/hide]

I run both track and XC, I'm a freshman in college right now so I'm looking forward to competing in track at the college level \' . I don't think I'll be running XC, I don't really like distance :uhh:

These were my best times in high school:

100m - ~11.7 (during practice, never actually raced)

200m - ~24 (during practice, never actually raced)

400m - 52.5 (51.0 during 4x400)

800m - 2:04 (2:02 during 4x800)

1600m/mile - 4:45 (during XC season)

3000m - 11:00 (lol :thumbdown: )

5000m - 18:20 (lol :thumbdown: )

Triple Jump <3: - 41'6" (2nd best in school history, around 25th at the regional meet lol)

Long Jump - 19'0"

Relays:

4x400 - 3:25 (school record, 6th place at the regional meet, missed nationals by a few secs :( )

4x800 - 8:25 (top 20 at regionals, don't remember the actual place)

I wasn't fast enough for our 4x1 team :cry:

Now that I'm in college I'm aiming for a few school records, notably the triple jump record (high 46') and the 400m record (49.5). I'm also trying to see if we can get good relay teams together for a shot at the 4x4 and 4x8 records. For training we usually do (weekly) 1 day of plyometrics, 1 day of hill workouts, and various intervals/ladders/repeats for the rest of the time. The workouts are pretty intense but they're really helpful.

19205215.png

So I saw a doctor, and it turns out that I strained my quad, which then healed tight, and made me stain my calf. #-o

So I've go a few weeks without running, stretching about 30 minutes a day.

That's unfortunate. Can you use an elyptical at all? Similar to running but with less strain on the legs...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

No, I don't think so. Ellipticals usually only help for people with knee injuries, or stres fractures, because they're lower impact than runniing or treadmills. Just going through the motion of running is something I'm not supposed to do. I can do a little biking to keep my cardio up, but that's it. -.-

1ekn0o.jpg

Big runner here. I usually run 10+ miles per day and I take sundays off.

I suppose I do pretty well but I'm not good enough for my college team.

Pr's:

10k- 34:30

5000m- 16:41

3200m- 10:32

1600m- 4:38

800m- 2:02

Apart from that I've raced a marathon in 3:30. I love it!! <3:<3:<3:

(and it is not bad for the knees which is what many people think for some reason)

Sublexation.gif 203934109074superballpwnage.gif

Big runner here. I usually run 10+ miles per day and I take sundays off.

I suppose I do pretty well but I'm not good enough for my college team.

Pr's:

10k- 34:30

5000m- 16:41

3200m- 10:32

1600m- 4:38

800m- 2:02

Apart from that I've raced a marathon in 3:30. I love it!! <3:<3:<3:

(and it is not bad for the knees which is what many people think for some reason)

Niiice times :shock:

1ekn0o.jpg

i used to run 3 miles everyday because i used to be an amateur boxer then i stopped

and started to smoke again

Now (2 years later) i want to stop smoking and get back into it :)

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

i used to run 3 miles everyday because i used to be an amateur boxer then i stopped

and started to smoke again

Now (2 years later) i want to stop smoking and get back into it :)

Please do. You'll regret it for the rest of your life if you keep smoking :?

1ekn0o.jpg

I ran all four years of high school, and as a team we came away with 4th, 2nd, and two state titles. Individually the best I ever placed in state was 8th, though I blame that on soccer, since I also played soccer all four years, and they scheduled 2 play-off games a day before state each year, which I certainly felt the next day. We were in the lowest division though (B), which means we were only competing against small schools (>500 in the high school might be the cutoff, but I really have no idea), so we weren't exactly facing super stiff competition (we won last year 31 to 73, which was the largest margin of victory in state history), but with our times I believe we would have been competitive with many of the larger schools. Like you I never ran the mile, but in meets I seem to remember passing the mile mark anywhere from 5:30-6:00. For the 5k, I ran 17:47 in state my last two years, though my PR was closer to 17:00 I believe, since the state course was tough and a little bit long. Next year I'm starting college and will most likely walk on, assuming my knee stops giving me trouble as it has all summer.

So yeah, I guess I got kinda carried away in this post...w/e I do enjoy running, nothing better for collecting your thoughts imo, certainly one of my favorite things to spend my time doing.

You ran 5:30-6:00 1st miles and had a 17 flat PR? Uhhh...i guess that makes sense if you stay consistent but no one ever does really.

I love running and everything about it. Yesterday my team got 4th at state. Quite pleased about that.

My school's team got 9th out of 16 I think. The programs only been going on for about three years, but we have some very capable runners that are climbing up the charts. :thumbup:

I guess it kind of makes me nostalgic; I wonder what would have happened it I stuck with cross-country instead of football.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Our team didn't do as well as expected at state, but oh well. We still have most of our varsity runners and a few runners who will be improving by next year.

Hopefully I can start running on Wednesday. Will train cross country style for 2 months then track for the next two (or as best as I can on a treadmill :/). Hopefully I do better at track than cross country.

Shaniqua.png

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know any ways to get good at XC or other long runs?

Right now, I run at 10 MPH on a treadmill for .5-1.0 miles, then I jog at 7 MPH for .25 miles, then I walk at 2.0 MPH for about 20 seconds, then I rinse & repeat.

Distance is key for long runs. What you're doing is too fast and too short. Try 5ish mph, or whatever is hard but not uncomfortable for at LEAST 3 miles, but more if you can.

I run anywhere from 3 to 8 miles on a daily basis. Usually, I average around 5.

1ekn0o.jpg

If you want to do distance, do not do any sprinting work during conditioning. You'll get all sorts of messed up. Sprinters have to flail as fast and hard as they can for a short time; distance work is all about controlling yourself and fighting yourself. Try pacing (or jogging, I usually do my pace) to a relatively distant store or something and back.

By the way: In track, cross-country runners are usually INSANE. The cross-country guys on our team can out-sprint me and out-distance me (although I'm a mid-distance runner, and pretty average at that). Just letting you know.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Anyone know any ways to get good at XC or other long runs?

Right now, I run at 10 MPH on a treadmill for .5-1.0 miles, then I jog at 7 MPH for .25 miles, then I walk at 2.0 MPH for about 20 seconds, then I rinse & repeat.

Distance is key for long runs. What you're doing is too fast and too short. Try 5ish mph, or whatever is hard but not uncomfortable for at LEAST 3 miles, but more if you can.

I run anywhere from 3 to 8 miles on a daily basis. Usually, I average around 5.

Also use incline, it imitates (somewhat) air resistance and such.

Break

BlueSig3.jpg

I ran CC on a whim for my school, but I haven't run since the season's conclusion and am out of shape. I'm trying to decide if I want to just try a 3 mile run to see if I could make it without walking. My personal best, while not too impressive, was a 23:22 for a 5k.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png