Anti drug programs - Complete waste of money?

Kill_Thomas9

About the prisons creating jobs... The money spent on prisons, along with the money the government would would receive from marijuana taxes would dwarf the jobs created by prison staff/clothing manufacturers/food supplies etc.

And deloriagod, the thing you said about large companies and small corner stores was basically what I was saying about people boycotting the big companies.

Edit:

Here is evidence of how the government lied to people in order for them to vote on state laws banning marijuana

Killerdrug.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, that advert is hilarious.

But ignoring both sides of the debate, the only reason I personally wouldn't want to try/use marijuana is because of the changes I have seen in my mates.

I have mates who started socially smoking pot. No harm there, I never really had a problem with it. But gradually it became a fortnightly habit, then a weekly habit. Now they smoke whenever they can. Instead of coming out with my other mates and I on Friday and Saturday nights, they sit in their car and get stoned. One of them is (for lack of a better word) addicted to it enough to smoke every night, by himself.

Now, over the past month or two they have started to get into the 'harder' drugs. Doing lines of coke, just to get that extra high. Enjoying cocktails of alcohol, pot, coke, speed and ecstasy just to get really "F-ked up".

That is why I don't wanna use weed, or any other drug for that matter. Because I know I have an addictive personality, and I would probably become addicted to it like my mates.

That being said, I know that this isn't the case for the majority of marijuana users, and I kind of feel like a hypocrite since I drink alcohol.

EDIT: I just realized I'm hardly on topic. Um, I think a "drug awareness" program would be more sufficient then an anti drug one. Labeling something as "bad" without further explanation only encourages further 'research'.

untitled-1.png

Lol, that advert is hilarious.

But ignoring both sides of the debate, the only reason I personally wouldn't want to try/use marijuana is because of the changes I have seen in my mates.

I have mates who started socially smoking pot. No harm there, I never really had a problem with it. But gradually it became a fortnightly habit, then a weekly habit. Now they smoke whenever they can. Instead of coming out with my other mates and I on Friday and Saturday nights, they sit in their car and get stoned. One of them is (for lack of a better word) addicted to it enough to smoke every night, by himself.

Now, over the past month or two they have started to get into the 'harder' drugs. Doing lines of coke, just to get that extra high. Enjoying cocktails of alcohol, pot, coke, speed and ecstasy just to get really "F-ked up".

That is why I don't wanna use weed, or any other drug for that matter. Because I know I have an addictive personality, and I would probably become addicted to it like my mates.

That being said, I know that this isn't the case for the majority of marijuana users, and I kind of feel like a hypocrite since I drink alcohol.

EDIT: I just realized I'm hardly on topic. Um, I think a "drug awareness" program would be more sufficient then an anti drug one. Labeling something as "bad" without further explanation only encourages further 'research'.

Man, I seriously feel bad for your friends.

I guess this shows what happens when you're not conscious of what you're doing. I know at least 20 people who have been smoking weed for 4+ years and haven't moved to anything harder. But like I said, my town is a lot different.

And I do believe you can be "addicted" to being high. But it is the same type of addiction you get from playing video games (take WoW as an example). People go from playing an hour every other day, to an hour a day, to 2 hours a day, and next thing you know it's all the person does or thinks about. Then when you get bored of the first game, you move on to the next. (Only in this case, the next game isn't any more addicting than the first.) And you can play games in the same "responsible" fashion, where you play an hour max per day, or 2 hours every other day. And be sure to be social in real life (and TeamSpeak doesn't count as social!).

They are complete lies tbh, they only do that to scare you so that you won't take it.

Having said that i'm not going to smoke anything when i grow up, because i don't wanna waste money like my dad. (he is an excellent role model besides that)

Just to be clear, I don't think it's appropriate to smoke weed all the time. Times you need to study for school, or during the week, or before work are definitely bad times to smoke. They interfere with your education/work. It has been proven that your ability to learn is temporarily reduced for sometimes up to a day after smoking.

But you may also want to take into account the positive effects of marijuana smoking. Aside from feeling good, smoking weed can help you relax after a stressful week at work, so you can be more rested for the coming week. It can also help with physical pain. For example: nausea. I can guarantee you that if you've been throwing up all day, and feel absolutely awful, and you smoke weed, (assuming you aren't allergic to it) you will feel a million times better. If you've been sick for a few days, and haven't been able to eat, you will suddenly get your appetite back. You will most likely stop throwing up. And you'll be able to sleep for a while. This is one of the reasons they have legalized marijuana for medical use in some states. I'm posting this because so far, it seems like nearly all (but one) of my posts has been pro-pot, and I don't want it to seem like I'm only looking at one side of the argument. The most important thing is to know what enough is enough.

probably a little off of current discussion since i dont feel like reading a few pages

anti drug programs should be in schools, but they should be a calm and rational explanation of the negative effects of drugs, not just saying dont do drugs they are addicting and can kill you. I mean the more reasonable sounding you are the more people are going to consider your message, and more kids listening is a good thing.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

You know what I can't stand? When people say "you're gunna get addicted to weed!", and in response, the smoker says "No I'm not. I can stop any time." So then the first person says "then why don't you!".

Well... I can think of plenty things you like to do, that I could say you're addicted to. And if you say you're not I'll say "then why don't you!". Your favorite television series for example. If you're not addicted to it, then why don't you stop watching it? Well have you considered the fact that people might continue doing something for a reason other than being "addicted"? Personal enjoyment? You must be addicted to sleeping on good beds. How come? Because you refuse to sleep on the floor. What other reason could there be for not wanting to sleep on the floor?

The program is stupid because it was made by senators half of which have probably never used the stuff and the half who don't really think its all that bad. They were sitting in a room and someone said "something needs to be done to stop these drugs". So to make their constituents happy they do what the government always does: they throw money at the situation. That does nothing to solve anything.

On a related note are the groups that say "Lets stand up to cancer!!" We can stop lung cancer by running in a marathon for it and donating money! News Flash: Cancer cells don't give a crap if you're wearing a yellow bracelet. And they don't care if $30 billion dollars were just raised. You want to stop cancer? Get a degree and get in a freakan laboratory with organic chemists and biophysicists. These labs have hundreds of billions of dollars of federal funding, you can just raise money and say you are helping the cure.

Likewise, you won't get kids to stop using pot by just throwing money and ads at them. Though that one Truth ad with unicorns and the song (magical amount) was amusing. Make more of those, they are fun to watch.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Honestly, I think it is their best shot at completing the objective, stopping the students from getting into drugs. If they showed that drugs can be used for good purposes aswell as have bad effects, more students will listen to the positive side, and start doing these drugs, than listen to the negative side that drugs are absolutely terrible for you, and never do them. There has to be a balance somewhere. Good anti drug ads would be ads that focus on why it is good not to do drugs, instead of why it is bad to do drugs.

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

Honestly, I think it is their best shot at completing the objective, stopping the students from getting into drugs. If they showed that drugs can be used for good purposes aswell as have bad effects, more students will listen to the positive side, and start doing these drugs, than listen to the negative side that drugs are absolutely terrible for you, and never do them. There has to be a balance somewhere. Good anti drug ads would be ads that focus on why it is good not to do drugs, instead of why it is bad to do drugs.

A study showed current anti-drug/alcohol/tobacco ads actually increase the chance of kids doing drugs, etc. Also, why it is good not to do drugs would just be a positive spin on why it's bad to do drugs. Example: ~Bad~ "Drugs make you dumb" ~Good~ "If you don't do drugs, you're smart". Not much of a difference in my opinion.

I'll be short and sweet.

Are they currently a complete waste of money, and quite possibly more damaging? Yes, I whole heartedly would agree.

Is any anti-drug program a complete waste of money? Absolutely not. Educate people, don't treat it like taboo, and that it doesn't exist unless you're a criminal, and tell people the truth.

Until the truth is widespread, people are aware of the benefits, and set backs vs. false propaganda, I do not support legalization. That said, I don't suppose I'd support legalization in my lifetime (in America).

You can't go from almost a century of scare tactics and lies to saying "We [bleep]ed up, so now it's legal." Slow process, change the culture, and move on.

Until then, work for progression in a more progressive way rather than stampeding about complaining it isn't fair that it's illegal. You're not helping your cause.

You can't go from almost a century of scare tactics and lies to saying "We [bleep] up, so now it's legal." Slow process, change the culture, and move on.

How about back in 30's or 40's when marijuana had been around and sold as a medicines for a long time, and suddenly it was a terrible drug that causes death, insanity, etc? Same thing, right? Why not just reverse it, educate people about the positives and negatives of it, and see how society deals with it. Personally, I'd love to just sit back and watch how our culture would change if marijuana was legalized.

You can't go from almost a century of scare tactics and lies to saying "We [bleep] up, so now it's legal." Slow process, change the culture, and move on.

How about back in 30's or 40's when marijuana had been around and sold as a medicines for a long time, and suddenly it was a terrible drug that causes death, insanity, etc? Same thing, right? Why not just reverse it, educate people about the positives and negatives of it, and see how society deals with it. Personally, I'd love to just sit back and watch how our culture would change if marijuana was legalized.

Well, at least the prisons would be emptier.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

I will never smoke anything, or drink alcohol, apart from wine, if it's at a formal event somewhere (when I'm 18)

This is not only becuase I am christian, but see no point in them. From what I have gathered they give you some plesure, but still have long-term side effects, the ones that only show up years and years later. I have seen some of the negatives of these long term effects, and I will not tolerate them, nor would I want anyone to experience them. Infact, the only reason I would drink wine is because it is something that you would only have 1 glass of in a night at the most. Also even Jesus drank wine in the bible. Think of me as you want, you're only judging based what you see of me on the net.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I will never smoke anything, or drink alcohol, apart from wine, if it's at a formal event somewhere (when I'm 18)

This is not only becuase I am christian, but see no point in them. From what I have gathered they give you some plesure, but still have long-term side effects, the ones that only show up years and years later. I have seen some of the negatives of these long term effects, and I will not tolerate them, nor would I want anyone to experience them. Infact, the only reason I would drink wine is because it is something that you would only have 1 glass of in a night at the most. Also even Jesus drank wine in the bible. Think of me as you want, you're only judging based what you see of me on the net.

You have a perfectly reasonable standpoint. But I'm afraid you are one of the few the government has succeeded in corrupting. The only (and I mean only) long term side effects are a slight increase in your chance of developing cancer, along with respiratory illnesses, both of which can be reduced if the marijuana is smoked with a bong or a vaporizer. And, I might add, if marijuana were legalized, you would see much more development in ways to smoke it which are less harmful to your health. Currently not many people use vaporizers because they're so expensive, and not as many people use bongs because it takes more weed for the same effect.

I used to have the same mindset as you did. To me, drinking alcohol is far worse than smoking pot. I started smoking this summer and since I've started (July) I've only smoked 4 times. I don't go out and act like I'm stoned and do stupid stuff. Most of the time I sit around and listen to some of my favorite music. When you're high, you pick up every little detail that is in the song. The only times there are long term affects on either smoking or drinking, is when people do it out of moderation. If you do it responsibly, there is no harm that can come of it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

You have a perfectly reasonable standpoint. But I'm afraid you are one of the few the government has succeeded in corrupting. The only (and I mean only) long term side effects are a slight increase in your chance of developing cancer, along with respiratory illnesses, both of which can be reduced if the marijuana is smoked with a bong or a vaporizer. And, I might add, if marijuana were legalized, you would see much more development in ways to smoke it which are less harmful to your health. Currently not many people use vaporizers because they're so expensive, and not as many people use bongs because it takes more weed for the same effect.

You know, the same argument could be used for the heavy stuff like cocaine and heroin as well. I'm sure if you legalized the sale of those someday the scientists would figure out a way for us to take a trip to acidtripland to visit the five legged unicorns without harm.

OT : Anti-drug programs are pHAil. They're repeated so often no one cares anymore because everyone is so used to them.

Air_Dragon15.png

The only (and I mean only) long term side effects are a slight increase in your chance of developing cancer, along with respiratory illnesses, both of which can be reduced if the marijuana is smoked with a bong or a vaporizer.

Although there appears to be no link to lung cancer[1], marijuana has been linked with increased risks of heart attack and stroke, changes in the structure of the brain[2], head and neck cancer[3], early gum disease[4], as well as a variety of cognitive and psychological issues (not to mention the short term risks). Although I feel that many of these apparent risks require more investigation before we can say for sure, it would be misleading to give the impression that lung damage is the only long-term risk in smoking cannabis.

Also, it's worth noting that waterpipes have not shown to be very effective at reducing harmful tars:

Contrary to popular impression, waterpipes don't necessarily protect smokers from harmful tars in marijuana smoke, according to a new study sponsored by MAPS and California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). The reason is that waterpipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect. The study does not rule out the possibility that waterpipes could have other benefits, such as filtering out gases, but it suggests that other methods, such as the use of high potency marijuana, vaporizers, or oral ingestion are needed to avoid harmful toxins in marijuana smoke.

Source: http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06359mj1.html

the scientists would figure out a way for us to take a trip to acidtripland to visit the five legged unicorns without harm.

They already have. It's called acid (LSD-25) and numerous studies have shown it to be a physically 'safe' chemical to consume. The psychological risks at higher doses can be minimized through responsible use and proper set and setting. Other psychoactives, such as DMT, psilocybin (mushrooms) and mescaline (cactii), have also shown to be low in physical harm when consumed by healthy adults.

They already have. It's called acid (LSD-25) and numerous studies have shown it to be a physically 'safe' chemical to consume. The psychological risks at higher doses can be minimized through responsible use and proper set and setting. Other psychoactives, such as DMT, psilocybin (mushrooms) and mescaline (cactii), have also shown to be low in physical harm when consumed by healthy adults.

Yeah, I heard the only bad thing about acid papers is the rat poisoning they put on them in order to keep the liquid from evaporating off the papers.

If you are dumb enough to actually get hooked on the stuff, you deserve the bad things it does to you, until you realize you made a mistake. in that case, I do feel sorry for you adn you really should talk to a professional person thingy with a job involving drugs and stuff like that....

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

I wouldn't. It would go for the worse, just like lowering the drinking age to 18 is a horrible idea.

Pineapple Express anyone? ILLEGAL!!!!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

If you are dumb enough to actually get hooked on the stuff, you deserve the bad things it does to you, until you realize you made a mistake. in that case, I do feel sorry for you adn you really should talk to a professional person thingy with a job involving drugs and stuff like that....

People of all intellectual ability have fallen into addiction. It isn't a matter of smart or stupid. Drug addiction is a sickness, a health issue, that requires attention.

Yeah, I heard the only bad thing about acid papers is the rat poisoning they put on them in order to keep the liquid from evaporating off the papers.

No. Definitely a myth. Usually alcohol or water is used as the solvent in the blotter paper. The solvent is then evaporated, leaving the LSD behind. It's desirable that the liquid solvent evaporates.

The more likely issue is that the dealer will use a RC (Research Chemical) as a substitute to LSD-25. Most RCs have not been thoroughly tested and often their LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of population) is not well known.

Back to the topic at hand...

Sudden legalization would be a bad idea. :lol: