The G/E babies people

Atom Smash40

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have nothing intelligent (supporting or not), don't post.

What an oxymoron. Sorry, had to get that out of my system, but that's the way I feel about it.

The rubdown with the GE is simple. I like it because I don't have to spend so much time looking for ingredients scattered all about the place. Now, don't get me wrong, I was much like you about 3 years ago; back when I had oodles of free time. Nowadays, if I want to play, I'd like to get things lined up as quickly as possible before I go in and use an hour and a half of time to play.

There are some things I enjoy about this game. Burning 30 minutes to find something when it only takes five isn't one of them. Not anymore. I'm almost certain that when you've got a limited schedule, but want to enjoy games, you'll grow to appreciate the GE more and more.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Here's my few cents.

First of all, it saves time on pretty much "secondary things". For certain players time is worth more than almost anything else. Same goes for the efford. In many quests there are certain item requirements that are relatively cheap (=useless) but gathering them takes time. Due the cheapness and useless nature, those items were being dropped before GE. Now with GE certain items can be reused by others and thus GE stands imo a collective way to split certain items. This means that after using the item, people can just dump it back to GE and help other people who also want to save time, efford and nerves.

If we look this as a part of bigger section, then I gotta agree even less. Skilling has become a lot easier due GE as you can buy items faster and dump final productions easier. I personally didn't find it really attractive to waste tens of hours buying seeds at forums or banks when I was heading to 99 farm. Yes, it was more challening but also more irritating. With GE the current farmers don't have that problem anymore and imo that's a great thing: it has shortened the training time of certain skills a lot.

If this makes us spoiled little grand exchange babies, then that shall be the case. RS has become so much easier by the years that helping us that way with GE is imo nothing. If melee training can be 4-5 times faster than it was in RSC, we got stuff as make X, autocast attacking spells, run and many others, having a way to decrease the things listed on the first chapter is in my eyes nothing.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

I liked the GE at the time, but now I look back on my RS days, I can actually see how much it ruined the game.

The thing that gets me about RuneScape is the way most people it seems are on a mission to get from A to B in the quickest way possible. So much so, I think they actually lose sight of what the game was originally intended for - fun.

You see people talk about their RS "careers". Now obviously, they don't mean it literally, but it speaks volumes about how people take the game so seriously it almost becomes a profession to them. Moreover, the number of people doing this is in its hundreds, if not, thousands. With other games, you'd only see about a few dozen who would call their playing time a "career".

If you guys who are defending the GE say that there is something wrong with wanting to actually work for your own items, then yes, there's something deeply wrong with me. But then, who among us is totally normal?

I remember going for 99 Cooking before the GE was released in August 07. Having to stand in world 2, negotiate prices and actually *shock* talk to people and sell things directly to them. Yes, it was fun. It was an experience, a sort of adventure in itself. Nowadays, I'd put my cooked lobbies on the GE, and they'd stay there... doing sweet FA.

I leave you with a question of my own. What's more fun:

A) Selling your lobsters by competing against about ten other sellers in a crowd of hundreds in Falador, World 2, or;

B) Putting your lobbies on some faceless mechanism, and sit there, staring at them while they don't move?

The journey is more than the destination.

The thing that gets me about RuneScape is the way most people it seems are on a mission to get from A to B in the quickest way possible. So much so, I think they actually lose sight of what the game was originally intended for - fun.

Exactly. I personally don't see any fun in running around for 5-10 minutes just to get an item I need in one single thing in a quest. Infact I even less enjoy standing in crowded areas shouting stuff like "Buying X" and same time reading forums for few hours every day. The saved time and efford in certain "mandatory must" tasks can actually be used to please yourself.

You see people talk about their RS "careers". Now obviously, they don't mean it literally, but it speaks volumes about how people take the game so seriously it almost becomes a profession to them. Moreover, the number of people doing this is in its hundreds, if not, thousands. With other games, you'd only see about a few dozen who would call their playing time a "career".

I've personally used that word for years now. It really isn't CV material, but it gives the right information: some time has really been spent on this game. I also don't get it how saved time and efford would relate to the words we choose to use when we talk about this game in general.

If you guys who are defending the GE say that there is something wrong with wanting to actually work for your own items, then yes, there's something deeply wrong with me. But then, who among us is totally normal?

I personally see GE as a way to skip parts in skilling that are a must to do in order to start working on the skill. I personally did not enjoy trading with people or hunting for deals. Does it make me a worse skiller or a player if I wanted to use my time on the thing itself and avoid stuff I did not enjoy?

I remember going for 99 Cooking before the GE was released in August 07. Having to stand in world 2, negotiate prices and actually *shock* talk to people and sell things directly to them. Yes, it was fun. It was an experience, a sort of adventure in itself. Nowadays, I'd put my cooked lobbies on the GE, and they'd stay there... doing sweet FA.

If we look at the skills I "bought" to 99 before ge, we have farming, prayer, fletching, cooking, theoretically smithing (stopped at 98 to wait GE), basically magic and I had dealt a lot in other skills too.

I personally do not agree with the talking to people at w2 part. In my eyes that was just as faceless as GE but with the fact that I was being annoyed with stupid questions, scam attempts and autowriters. People in there were just to trade and that's it. I personally rather made friends at places like IRC or training spots.

I also don't completely agree with your bottom line. I personally saw trading as a part that was just a "mandatory must" on that journey, not actually part of it. If we compare it to work life, I could compare it to writing CV: not always so fun but something you just have to do if you just have to do in order to work on a thing you like.

signaturehoh.jpg

Exactly. I personally don't see any fun in running around for 5-10 minutes just to get an item I need in one single thing in a quest. Infact I even less enjoy standing in crowded areas shouting stuff like "Buying X" and same time reading forums for few hours every day. The saved time and efford in certain "mandatory must" tasks can actually be used to please yourself.

I think you've missed my point.

Let's take your 99 Herblore. Nowadays, I buy the herbs and the secondaries from the GE. Nice and quick. Am I having fun yet? No.

I start training herblore. Am I having fun yet? No.

I get a level. Am I having fun grinding up the levels? No.

I get 99 Herblore. Sweet. I get a warm, glowy feeling for about 5 seconds, after which it evaporates into a feeling of regret you didn't use the time spent on something where you would have actually been enjoying yourself and relaxing. Have I had fun at all in this quest? No.

That's the way I look at it anyway. No point doing something for pride and pride alone. You have to actually enjoy it. If taking longer to do something means you'll enjoy it, I'll choose that option over the GE.

I personally see GE as a way to skip parts in skilling that are a must to do in order to start working on the skill. I personally did not enjoy trading with people or hunting for deals. Does it make me a worse skiller or a player if I wanted to use my time on the thing itself and avoid stuff I did not enjoy?

No, not at all. Although I would question why you are playing a MMORPG if you don't enjoy trading with other people.

We clearly have different likes and dislikes in RuneScape. Perfectly normal, we're humans after all. Let's leave it at that. I was giving a personal reflection on how I believe the GE weakened the already atrociously weak community RS has, to the point where you may as well live as a hermit while playing the game. Hell, you can even win a game of CW without anyone else these days.

You could say the same thing about teleporting, "Oh well it's just being lazy, why don't you walk from Ardougne to Burgh De Rott?".

Personally I hated every last second of having to run across the map collecting useless rubbish for a quest, especially considering there is nearly always someone else on the exact same world who has the item and will glady sell it to you.

I don't find a ounce of fun making Sacred Oil for pyres, so why can't I just pay a large premium for getting them without making them myself? Same goes for the seller, why should I throw away a couple of Sacred Oils that are lying in my bank when there is someone who is willing to pay me 2k for them? I could spend 10 boring minutes making them myself for 100gp, or I could pay 1k and use that 10 mins to do something I enjoy, like Trouble Brewing, or finish quicker so I can turn the PC off earlier and do something else.

blazesigbq9.jpg

That's the way I look at it anyway. No point doing something for pride and pride alone. You have to actually enjoy it. If taking longer to do something means you'll enjoy it, I'll choose that option over the GE.

I could quote your whole answer to that part but anyways. I think you were the one who missed the point.

The point was that the GE hasn't taken away any fun sections from my point of view and I assume not from many other players either. If we use the herblore as an example, lets think it this way: do/did you enjoy the dealing part or was the main interest in training the skill itself? If you enjoy more about trading itself, why on earth would you deal with herbs and pots when you could infact do trades with less loss and thus have the possibility to do even more trades?

Did the trading part make it any better? On my journey to my buyable 99s it was more like a pain than a fun part of the journey like you put it. When your only interaction with the other players is to do a deal and that's it, it isn't much more faceless than the GE. The world 2 example is a great way to measure it: you trade with a person who autotypes or writes with his fingers in flames, put up the coins or the items, make sure he doesn't try to scam you and then accept. In my eyes skipping that part doesn't make the skill any more boring, antisocial (weird choice of word for RS) or less enjoyable. Infact it makes it safer, faster and gives you more time to concentrate on things you actually do like.

No, not at all. Although I would question why you are playing a MMORPG if you don't enjoy trading with other people.

I prefer talking to people and doing things with them isntead of just trying to fill mine and their needs or wills. If we compare it to real life, think it this way: when you go to a supermarket, do you go there to socialize with the person working behind the counter or to just to get you the things you want or need? Does the person stand behind the counter because he/she/it wants to talk to you? Most likely not, in most cases the motivation is to earn money. Does that mean we both would be both would be antisocial? Not necessary, that just isn't a place for social contacts in most cases.

Every time I lurk at the forums and spam at the game, it's away from the time I could concentrate on things to do with people, like for example this overrated thing called talking. You mentioned cooking as one example. At least I personally enjoyed talking in irc and at the rogue place more than typing "buying raw lobsters x gp per", "selling cooked lobsters x gp per" or looking forums for good trades.

signaturehoh.jpg

I think you've missed my point.

Let's take your 99 Herblore. Nowadays, I buy the herbs and the secondaries from the GE. Nice and quick. Am I having fun yet? No.

I get 99 Herblore. Sweet. I get a warm, glowy feeling for about 5 seconds, after which it evaporates into a feeling of regret you didn't use the time spent on something where you would have actually been enjoying yourself and relaxing. Have I had fun at all in this quest? No.

I enjoyed buying the herbs, calculating the costs and grinding the levels. I didn't like getting the level.

2j3qh46.jpg

If we compare it to real life, think it this way: when you go to a supermarket, do you go there to socialize with the person working behind the counter or to just to get you the things you want or need? Does the person stand behind the counter because he/she/it wants to talk to you? Most likely not, in most cases the motivation is to earn money. Does that mean we both would be both would be antisocial? Not necessary, that just isn't a place for social contacts in most cases.

Why are you even attempting to find a comparison between real life and RS? The two have always been plainly different - that's the point in a game. Next you'll be telling me it's more preferable to get a train rather than walk to where I wanna go, and somehow try and compare that to teleporting.

The comparison, if anything, is that I go to the supermarket rather than order it through the Internet and have it delivered to my door without ever stepping outside my house.

At least I personally enjoyed talking in irc and at the rogue place more than typing "buying raw lobsters x gp per", "selling cooked lobsters x gp per" or looking forums for good trades.

Now you're just putting words into my mouth. Of course I talked to people in the Rogue's Den and I loved it there. I also liked trading. I don't see anything wrong with that, unless you're a person who likes looking down on others for what they like or what they don't like.

You like what you like, I like what I like. I don't see what business it is of yours telling me that what I like to do in a game is ridiculous or wrong.

You like what you like, I like what I like. I don't see what business it is of yours telling me that what I like to do in a game is ridiculous or wrong.

Did you ever consider that for some people getting large amounts of exp in a short space of time is fun? You don't govern eveyones thoughts so how can you conclude that power trains a skill isn't having fun? You tell Hohto it isn't his business to say what you do is wrong or ridiculous, but in your first post you said:

I liked the GE at the time, but now I look back on my RS days, I can actually see how much it ruined the game.

I might be intepreting what you have written wrongly, but right now you seem like a hypocrite to me.

The G/E definitely killed the game for me... I used to make my own weapons, get my own food, etc, and that was definitely more fun. Plus spending ages in a bank selling something had some charm.

It's too easy to get stuff now IMO, so I just go camping every now and then and get my own food, etc.

MR. OCTOPUS BEARD DISAGREES!

30259it.jpgNo, THAT's what she said.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read below.

Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy? Read above.

[hide=OMG DRAGON KITESHIELD IN-GAME!!!!]rickrollad5.png

Never gonna give you up...[/hide]

I cant use a chair, evidence that Lucien's men are sitting on them.

The G/E definitely killed the game for me... I used to make my own weapons, get my own food, etc, and that was definitely more fun. Plus spending ages in a bank selling something had some charm.

This, a million times over.

Ex_Ploit.png

[Why are you even attempting to find a comparison between real life and RS? The two have always been plainly different - that's the point in a game.

Why should the act itself not be compared to something which is probably easier for many to handle? There is not that big difference between real life and rs trade: two people trade a thing for another, in most cases money for a wanted thing. The rs trading system can be a bit more liberal than the real one, but it doesn't change the basic principals between the two people.

Next you'll be telling me it's more preferable to get a train rather than walk to where I wanna go, and somehow try and compare that to teleporting.

Infact that's not a bad comparison either: you go from place A to place B and because you want to save time or efford, you choose to take a thing that does those for a small cost.

Now you're just putting words into my mouth. Of course I talked to people in the Rogue's Den and I loved it there. I also liked trading. I don't see anything wrong with that, unless you're a person who likes looking down on others for what they like or what they don't like.

Excuse me? I said "I personally" which means I (me, myself, Hohto, etc) wanted to skip one part I didn't like in order to do the thing you are saying you also like. Earlier you were stating how GE has turned the game into a grinding and at the cost of fun. When I stated that it has infact made the game funner to me as it has removed one annoying part, I was suddenly putting words into your mouth. If I compare that chapter to your first post on this topic, I'm getting the idea that there's only one way to enjoy this game and it's your way with all the dealing, trading and other things we were forced to go though before ge.

You were already telling me that this game isn't fun anymore:

In the other words, you're saying that seeing yourself finishing goals you've set to yourself (like this 99 herblore for example), gaining ranks or competing with other players is not fun in general. If you are trying to set us standards how to play and how to enjoy, why do you end it to "let me play like I want to" line when we're replying that the current is infact funner to us?

signaturehoh.jpg

i agree. im going for 99 mining because its something i like doing. call me crazy, but i actually enjoy mining granite for countless hours when i can be killing irons/steels for a visage. im not gunna choose an easier 99 to get. i feel more accomplished if i do what i want, even if its harder, and finish it.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Did you ever consider that for some people getting large amounts of exp in a short space of time is fun? You don't govern eveyones thoughts so how can you conclude that power trains a skill isn't having fun? You tell Hohto it isn't his business to say what you do is wrong or ridiculous, but in your first post you said:

I might be intepreting what you have written wrongly, but right now you seem like a hypocrite to me.

Perhaps I meant that to be more of a personal sentiment than a lecture to everyone else. It's not my business to tell people how to have fun.

Personally, the thought of doing nothing but the same few steps repeated over and over again, with large exp or otherwise, there is nothing I would rather less do. That's just my personality, I get distracted by new things very easily. Hence, for me, making something a quest to do something in the fastest way possible (which is usually repetitive grinding in RuneScape) is not something I particularly desire to do.

That's why I liked trading. If I did 99 Cooking nowadays, I'd buy the Raw Lobster, cook them, and sell them. Then I'd do the same over again. When I did 99 Cooking a year ago, I had to:

• [*:2s282bus]Look after my finances. There was no "I'm outta dough - I'll go to Bandos and make some more" for me.

[*:2s282bus]Fish for monkfish every so often for money, thus breaking the monotany.

[*:2s282bus]Trade off the cooked lobsters for the highest price possible, buying for the cheapest possible.

I suppose in some ways it was testing a larger range of skills, and forcing me to use at least a tiny amount of creativity to open up new opportunities. Nowadays, it is simply a case of training at Aviansies for a while until you have enough money, and mass buying on the GE, which tests such a narrow range of personal skills it makes you (as in me, not you personally) fall asleep.

GE makes it easier to obtain things that you normally can't, or obtain things that you're just too lazy to get ... :P With it's release, Jagex made it easier to "buy" skills, especially fletching and cooking. Nonetheless I like the update. I wouldn't have gotten 99 fletch w/o it lol

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

The convenience you spoke of is exactly why I fell in love with the G.E. from the very first time JAGeX mentioned it.

Unlike RWT updates, the GE has not replaced the classical methods of obtaining items. It has simply made those methods obsolete. However, if you need the item ASAP and cannot wait for the exchange to go through, you can always do things the old way.

The GE is like Online Shopping --> you can still go to the store and buy soap, towels, milk, potatoes, Taylor Swift CDs, and bookcases OR you can just click Kmart.com and have it all shipped to your house.

Welcome to the Digital Age :)

The GE is like Online Shopping --> you can still go to the store and buy soap, towels, milk, potatoes, Taylor Swift CDs, and bookcases OR you can just click Kmart.com and have it all shipped to your house.

Welcome to the Digital Age :)

So true :P

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

It's too easy to get stuff now IMO, so I just go camping every now and then and get my own food, etc.

You don't have to use the GE....

2j3qh46.jpg