Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times Presents: The Other Combat Triangle

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

FlameHawk18
[ Display Name History ]

FlameHawk18

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 709 posts
Great read. I would probably classify myself as a combat person. I hate skilling pretty much. >.>

As for merchanting, I can do it, but I can't unless I have the money.

Why the combat type? I find it fun. PvP, you never know what'd happen next. Boss Monsters, one messup and your whole trip might turn around. Just the fact that anything can happen by the slightest mistake makes it pretty fun. I really dunno why... I've soloed the Zammy Boss and livedd.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
I realise the vast majority belong in more then 1 group... But MOST people tend to stick with 1 group far more often then the other 2...

Just ask yourself; I need [a steady flow of] money, what do I do..? The first thing coming to mind is usually what puts you into a category...

I answer this question by hitting the Blast Furnace; making me a skiller...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

3rkid
[ Display Name History ]

3rkid

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,742 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:3rkid
  • RSN '07:3rkid

I realise the vast majority belong in more then 1 group... But MOST people tend to stick with 1 group far more often then the other 2...

Just ask yourself; I need [a steady flow of] money, what do I do..? The first thing coming to mind is usually what puts you into a category...

I answer this question by hitting the Blast Furnace; making me a skiller...

This is true, I'm sooo into the combat aspect of this game, I have to whip myself to raise my skills, my total level is pathetic so I'm going to have to raise it, I bought 99 firemaking yesterday for giggles and [cabbage]s... Now I just have to light 94 thousand maple logs -.-.

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
I don't really belong to any of these groups.

I don't really set out to make money, I just gradually accumulate it and then eventually do something with it.

I was an old school DIYer until GE.

If I wanted a whip, I got 85 slayer and got one.

If I wanted magic logs, then I got the wc level to do that.

Your definition of DIY is just plain wrong.

I never did it with the purpose of generating money from skills.

I did it myself so I didn't have to deal with gp and merchants and all that garbage that was pre-GE.

I just relied on my skills and it was fun.

Now I just goto the GE with stuff, turn it into cash and then back into something else all in one stop.

I don't feel the burden of trading.

However, price inflation cause by coinshare and GE pirating continually undermine alot of my efforts in the game.

I think that game has been severaly imbalanced by monster hunting with coinshare after hyper-inflation of those items with the initial hoarding up by runescape's non-players (aka merchants).

I had quit on one occasion this year because of this frustration.

The dropping of godwar items has been promising, and I hope that all will fall below 10mil so that skilling once again has some value other than pretty capes.

I am disappointed once again that these new shields are being given out again with Jagex pre-infalted price tags which are being hoarded up even higher.

I wish they would return to the days of having quests produce items like dragon longswords and scimitars.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Toly369
[ Display Name History ]

Toly369

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
I don't think anyone realizes how risky it is to merchant something. Nowadays, you have a greater potential for loss than for gain, unless you go in on something with a bunch of your buddies with a combined buying power of a couple hundred mill or 1b+. Some people say it's a lot easier now, I agree in a sense, it becomes a lot easier to buy up and sell vast quantities of an item, but you are however limited on your profits. A good merchant back in the day did everything him or herself as in finding suppliers and buyers and as a result reaped vast profits. Now it's not even merchanting anymore, it's just price manipulation by attempting to force an item up or down in price. I honestly blame GWD for flooding the game with so much easy money that inflation is through the roof and everyone and their mother has enough money to "try," notice I said "try," to merchant, when in reality they don't really know jacksquat about merchanting and just end up losing money and messing up prices. Not to mention GE penalties and limits. A limit on buying a certain quantity of an item along with a 4 hour penalty until you can buy more. I heard the penalties have gotten even stiffer up to 10 of a weapon or armor every hour. Jagex killed pking and dueling, they pretty much killed TRUE merchanting with the GE, and now they're trying to put the nail in the coffin on ALL merchanting. I'm all for killing monsters for items and skilling, but I dont see why we have to play the game jagex's way....

NukeMarine
[ Display Name History ]

NukeMarine

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • RSN:Nukemarine
Before the GE, merchants had a very important use: getting products from small amounts from various skillers, combine into large amounts, then selling to those that wanted large amounts. This was essential to the flow of Runescape as a MMORPG. I will always consider this to have been an honorable method of merchanting.

Those that bought rares to flip them, well, WTF did they actually add to the game? Nothing. Just drove up prices.

The honorable side of merchanting is gone. The GE removed that need and I'm glad for it. Merchanters now are nothing but flippers. They add ZERO value to the game with the exception of high priced items, and items that cannot be corrected with the GE. Even that specific need will disappear in the coming months. Once Jagex lifts the 5% window (assumption on my part seeing the higher restrictions on the GE), and removes price floors (to get rid of junk trading loopholes) then Merchanters will not make any money.

As for skillers, pkers, combat kings, mini-gamers, role players, questers: We each play the game for our own reasons. Jagex's updates the last year seems to cater to all the above.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Sir_Robert
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Robert

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • RSN:Sir__Robert
I'm not in any of the above catagories. I'm an old-school RSer. I've watched as trends changed and always stuck to the same play, because I know where Jagex is coming from, and I think I know where they're headed.

Jagex is trying to make gameplay fair for everyone. There was a time when the only people who made money were those who already had a high combat level. They attacked anyone dumb enough to be caught using a skill, and took their items. So Jagex made PKing an option (instead of mandatory), and eventually made the Wilderness. Then there was the invasion of the bots. Auto-miners were banned by the thousands, and people's mains just kept getting richer. So Jagex made random events. (Thank Guthix they stopped using sleeping bags!) People have always run scams. It used to be so easy you could just switch items at the last second before someone accepted your trade. That's why you have to double-check your trades now. The creation of the GE was so that players wouldn't get scammed by not knowing the current market price. Now you can read it on the GE itself.

Jagex will continue changing the gameplay in an effort to make sure that even the youngest players can get rich, instead of just the older players that understand economics. Because that is what Jagex does. It's a cheap game (as monthly fees go), and it's made cheap so young ones can play. The only question is: how long do you want to play? If you want to keep playing for a long time, you do everything the game has to offer. You don't go in with the intent to win, or score higher than everyone else, because if you do, you take it personally when Jagex levels the playing field. If you're intent in the game is to experience it all equally, have fun, and make friends, you don't mind when the rules are changed. That's how I've always played, and that's why I'm still here after all these years. I don't have high levels, or lots of gold, or all my quests done. But every time I play, I sign off happier and more relaxed than I was when I signed on. Every time.

imsobored99
[ Display Name History ]

imsobored99

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
hey i really liked the article kudos =D> i think i would have to primarily place myself in the skiller category but also in the combat category. i would like to get many of my skillz to lvl99 but at the same time i want to be filthy rich :D i also use the money i make for weps and armour for fighting and slaying.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers
I'm mostly a merchant and DIY skiller :P. I LOVE GOLD! But having high levels is also good, and I'm skilling quite a lot too. So perhaps I'm a mix between a skiller and a merchanter? I simply try to get the best out of the two worlds :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users