Tip.It Times Presents: The Other Combat Triangle

Turtlefemm

i'm quite sure i belong to all 3 categories to be honest...which should not be surprising since we should try out every aspect of runescape in order to fully appreciate and maximise the game play...

i've gone on many dk, gwd and barrow trips and made around 50m from barrow the 2 weeks it came out

i've also mined lots of rune ores (probably around 2k), there was once i mined 5k coal ore at one go, cut yews, make potions, cook and firemake as well...

and i also merchant frequently...made 6m from the recent [bleep]e in food prices due to PvP announcement and will probably engage more often in this area when i become a member since there will be many more items available to merchant ;)

so overall i'll say that many people may not necessarily fit into one group...although my combat level is much higher than my other stats i've stopped training combat and will be concentrating on pushing up fishing/fming/woodcut in the f2p world until i get membership during the hols...

but i also like to add that merchants can be very irritating at times as they bring about great instability in the markets (look at the up and down curves of food prices in recent weeks) and this applies not only to Runescape but to the real world as well such as during the Asian financial crisis and even the recent sub-prime mortgage crisis in America where many investors shorted the shares of investment banks bringing merrill lynch and lehman brothers to their knees...

which is why i join them...if you can't beat them, join them <3:

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad article ::' Anyway I fit into all of these except merchers...I think of merchanting as um...can't think of a better word so bad will do ::' I think I'm more a skiller than anything else but I think I fall somewhere between the two types of skillers mentioned.I always try to break even and if that isn't possible lose as little as possible but if I can get a profit without too much trouble I will do that ::' 5k1ll3r 4 lyf3 :lol:

I resemble that remark!

Achieved quest cape for first time on: 4-2-09 WOOHOO!

Beat Nomad on 6-24-10 WOOHOO!.

331bfcd139.png

Good read, but YOU LEFT OUT QUESTERS! That was the only flaw I found... I'm quite sure you told about questers, skillers, stakers/pkers and merchanters in the intro, but didn't find any clue about questers after on.

I would consider myself as skiller/quester, never merchanted and never pked for profit/staked...

^^

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009

Pfft. You still got this guy writing articles?

Cmon tipit we need some real talent.... :wall:

OT: I suppose Pker/skiller. Pk for fun, skill for cash/levels.

That was a good article, no need to be rude. :roll:

He knows that... He was joking as its a clanmate of mine :)

Also to the poster above me; questers-only dont make money!!

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Personally, the skiller group should be divided into two category's. First, there are the material skillers, and the crafting skillers. The material skillers gather the raw materials such as ores, fish, bowstrings etc. They do not make the final product, and usually don't get much exp, but they make money off their hard work. Then, there are the crafting skillers. They take the raw materials, and turn those into marketable goods, such as armor, food, and so on. They gain the most exp, and, if done right, a good amount of money too.

This roughly equates to our real economy, where cheap laborers do the physical labor, while skilled craftsmen take those materials, and make them into goods. These two separate kinds of skillers are different enough that I thought it should be pointed out...

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

Also to the poster above me; questers-only dont make money!!

ok...just so you know questers can in actual fact make money...just not in huge amounts.

With that out of the way...i guess i would be a warrior/skiller i used to be merchant but trade limit and ge killed that for me. it was actually a challenge back then and u could make better money...wayyyyyyy more rewarding.

TSAsm.gif

jacob_2230.png

While the article is well-written, the responses in this topic pretty much sum up my view: Most of us fit in more than one category.

Making generalisations is ok for making a point or for entertaining purposes, but the vast majority of us play more than just one part of the game. The variety is what keeps me in RS; the combination of skilling, monster hunting, trading and various kinds of interactions between players and NPCs. I don't know many who are devoted to just a limited fraction of the gameplay, and I don't judge those who are. (Except people resorting to breaking rules, but that's a whole different story. ;) )

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Great read. I would probably classify myself as a combat person. I hate skilling pretty much. >.>

As for merchanting, I can do it, but I can't unless I have the money.

Why the combat type? I find it fun. PvP, you never know what'd happen next. Boss Monsters, one messup and your whole trip might turn around. Just the fact that anything can happen by the slightest mistake makes it pretty fun. I really dunno why... I've soloed the Zammy Boss and livedd.

I realise the vast majority belong in more then 1 group... But MOST people tend to stick with 1 group far more often then the other 2...

Just ask yourself; I need [a steady flow of] money, what do I do..? The first thing coming to mind is usually what puts you into a category...

I answer this question by hitting the Blast Furnace; making me a skiller...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I realise the vast majority belong in more then 1 group... But MOST people tend to stick with 1 group far more often then the other 2...

Just ask yourself; I need [a steady flow of] money, what do I do..? The first thing coming to mind is usually what puts you into a category...

I answer this question by hitting the Blast Furnace; making me a skiller...

This is true, I'm sooo into the combat aspect of this game, I have to whip myself to raise my skills, my total level is pathetic so I'm going to have to raise it, I bought 99 firemaking yesterday for giggles and [cabbage]s... Now I just have to light 94 thousand maple logs -.-.

I don't really belong to any of these groups.

I don't really set out to make money, I just gradually accumulate it and then eventually do something with it.

I was an old school DIYer until GE.

If I wanted a whip, I got 85 slayer and got one.

If I wanted magic logs, then I got the wc level to do that.

Your definition of DIY is just plain wrong.

I never did it with the purpose of generating money from skills.

I did it myself so I didn't have to deal with gp and merchants and all that garbage that was pre-GE.

I just relied on my skills and it was fun.

Now I just goto the GE with stuff, turn it into cash and then back into something else all in one stop.

I don't feel the burden of trading.

However, price inflation cause by coinshare and GE pirating continually undermine alot of my efforts in the game.

I think that game has been severaly imbalanced by monster hunting with coinshare after hyper-inflation of those items with the initial hoarding up by runescape's non-players (aka merchants).

I had quit on one occasion this year because of this frustration.

The dropping of godwar items has been promising, and I hope that all will fall below 10mil so that skilling once again has some value other than pretty capes.

I am disappointed once again that these new shields are being given out again with Jagex pre-infalted price tags which are being hoarded up even higher.

I wish they would return to the days of having quests produce items like dragon longswords and scimitars.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I don't think anyone realizes how risky it is to merchant something. Nowadays, you have a greater potential for loss than for gain, unless you go in on something with a bunch of your buddies with a combined buying power of a couple hundred mill or 1b+. Some people say it's a lot easier now, I agree in a sense, it becomes a lot easier to buy up and sell vast quantities of an item, but you are however limited on your profits. A good merchant back in the day did everything him or herself as in finding suppliers and buyers and as a result reaped vast profits. Now it's not even merchanting anymore, it's just price manipulation by attempting to force an item up or down in price. I honestly blame GWD for flooding the game with so much easy money that inflation is through the roof and everyone and their mother has enough money to "try," notice I said "try," to merchant, when in reality they don't really know jacksquat about merchanting and just end up losing money and messing up prices. Not to mention GE penalties and limits. A limit on buying a certain quantity of an item along with a 4 hour penalty until you can buy more. I heard the penalties have gotten even stiffer up to 10 of a weapon or armor every hour. Jagex killed pking and dueling, they pretty much killed TRUE merchanting with the GE, and now they're trying to put the nail in the coffin on ALL merchanting. I'm all for killing monsters for items and skilling, but I dont see why we have to play the game jagex's way....

Before the GE, merchants had a very important use: getting products from small amounts from various skillers, combine into large amounts, then selling to those that wanted large amounts. This was essential to the flow of Runescape as a MMORPG. I will always consider this to have been an honorable method of merchanting.

Those that bought rares to flip them, well, WTF did they actually add to the game? Nothing. Just drove up prices.

The honorable side of merchanting is gone. The GE removed that need and I'm glad for it. Merchanters now are nothing but flippers. They add ZERO value to the game with the exception of high priced items, and items that cannot be corrected with the GE. Even that specific need will disappear in the coming months. Once Jagex lifts the 5% window (assumption on my part seeing the higher restrictions on the GE), and removes price floors (to get rid of junk trading loopholes) then Merchanters will not make any money.

As for skillers, pkers, combat kings, mini-gamers, role players, questers: We each play the game for our own reasons. Jagex's updates the last year seems to cater to all the above.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I'm not in any of the above catagories. I'm an old-school RSer. I've watched as trends changed and always stuck to the same play, because I know where Jagex is coming from, and I think I know where they're headed.

Jagex is trying to make gameplay fair for everyone. There was a time when the only people who made money were those who already had a high combat level. They attacked anyone dumb enough to be caught using a skill, and took their items. So Jagex made PKing an option (instead of mandatory), and eventually made the Wilderness. Then there was the invasion of the bots. Auto-miners were banned by the thousands, and people's mains just kept getting richer. So Jagex made random events. (Thank Guthix they stopped using sleeping bags!) People have always run scams. It used to be so easy you could just switch items at the last second before someone accepted your trade. That's why you have to double-check your trades now. The creation of the GE was so that players wouldn't get scammed by not knowing the current market price. Now you can read it on the GE itself.

Jagex will continue changing the gameplay in an effort to make sure that even the youngest players can get rich, instead of just the older players that understand economics. Because that is what Jagex does. It's a cheap game (as monthly fees go), and it's made cheap so young ones can play. The only question is: how long do you want to play? If you want to keep playing for a long time, you do everything the game has to offer. You don't go in with the intent to win, or score higher than everyone else, because if you do, you take it personally when Jagex levels the playing field. If you're intent in the game is to experience it all equally, have fun, and make friends, you don't mind when the rules are changed. That's how I've always played, and that's why I'm still here after all these years. I don't have high levels, or lots of gold, or all my quests done. But every time I play, I sign off happier and more relaxed than I was when I signed on. Every time.

Sir__Robert.png

hey i really liked the article kudos =D> i think i would have to primarily place myself in the skiller category but also in the combat category. i would like to get many of my skillz to lvl99 but at the same time i want to be filthy rich :D i also use the money i make for weps and armour for fighting and slaying.

I'm mostly a merchant and DIY skiller :P. I LOVE GOLD! But having high levels is also good, and I'm skilling quite a lot too. So perhaps I'm a mix between a skiller and a merchanter? I simply try to get the best out of the two worlds :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak