Jagex Attempting to Stop Monopolies?

Dragons_Might

Doesn't affect me since I'm an investor, I invest in various items, I don't manipulate the prices of armour and weapons.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cry me a river...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's only the big expensive items which there aren't that many of in the game that have these small limits introduced. (basically the items that were easy to monopolise if you happen to be uber rich or part of an uber rich consortium)

So you don't need to worry about most things having been changed - like smithed weapons and armours.

oh really? didn't know that...the first post wasn't clear i guess...the guy just said all equipment and armour -.-

well then i guess if it only applies to rares and TT it doesn't affect me that much...i only price merch stuff like food, runes, potions etc :thumbsup: basically items which are present in such large amounts that to raise the prices of such items you will need to involve the whole RS economy (i.e. can't be manipulated by small groups of nubcakes)

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

Good to see Jagex is doing something about it, it's not like anyone but manipulators would have any need for 100 sets of Bandos armour, 100 godswords or 100 sets of full Gilded anyway. Not even merchants would buy a large amount of them, because without the price manipulation they slightly decrease in cash on a daily basis.

blazesigbq9.jpg

Welcome to the cycle of authoritarianism.

Organisation puts down limits, people find way around limits;

Organisation puts down tighter limits, people find way around limits;

Organisation puts down tighter limits, people find way around limits...

Good to see Jagex is doing something about it, it's not like anyone but manipulators would have any need for 100 sets of Bandos armour, 100 godswords or 100 sets of full Gilded anyway. Not even merchants would buy a large amount of them, because without the price manipulation they slightly decrease in cash on a daily basis.

But we're not just talking about items that cost millions! What about full rune sets? This is every armour, weapon and rare in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

But we're not just talking about items that cost millions! What about full rune sets? This is every armour, weapon and rare in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken.

It is not every weapon and armour in the game. Things which can be mass produced through skilling like rune sets aren't affected.

As far as I can tell it's everything in the game that could be classified as a rare. (including barrows items and treasure trail items at the cheaper end of this definition)

If people have learnt anything from the current real world financial crisis it's that what economies certainly do need it tight regulation. I can't really see why people are complaining about this change - unlike some of the other initiatives such as teh GE and the limit on free stuff you can give out, this update doesn't affect normal players at all. The only peple to lose out here are the merchants, and they have too much money anyway ;)

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

People here seem to be happy about the new restrictions.

How do this restrictions improve your game?

I could be wrong, but merchants are one of the factors that keep the prices relatively stable. Yes, manipulators cause fluctuations, but around a certain level. When the price of an item gets relatively low, they attempt to buy it out and as a result the price of that item goes back up.

Without such natural regulation I expect prices of the limited items to go down only.

Will you be happy then?

When your TT or barrows or GWD or Visage (after thousands of metal dragons) or slayer or any other valuable item that you managed to receive as a drop sells for half/third/fourth the price that it is now?

And I also have no idea why Jagex believes restrictions are the solution of all problems.

This even went as a hidden update - no announcement, no reasoning.

The items you mention are all of a certain type: more are coming into the game (through monster drops etc) and very few are going out of the game (such as the occasional unlucky guy who gets killed while skulled). These items will always drop in price in the long term, that's a basic fact of supply/demand, and merchanters do not affect this. The only exception is where Jagex update a piece of equipment. This is clear even in the examples you give - barrows armour, for instance, is significantly cheaper than it was when it came out, despite it being frequently merchanted.

It's still too liberal. Whatever happened to buying armor because you planned on using it, instead of screwing over some guy who wants to buy it so he can go fight monsters by buying up all the stock and making him pay extortion prices. The people who do that are no better than people who engage in ticket scalping to scam children at a freaking Hannah Montana concert.

Oh well Jagex has always failed at it's own economy, or much rather understanding it.

*hands tissue*

If you are in the USA you should move right now.

Fools_Taco.png

:lol: no offense against omali but while some people are quoting him, i shall quote Winston Churchill instead who once said, "if you destroy a free market, you get a black market" as well as Milton Friedman who said" The black market was a way of getting around government controls.

You can't create a black market that effects the prices on the G.E, so no offense to Milton Friedman and Winston Churchill, but they'd be utter noobs at Runescape economics.

not only will such restrictions create a black market eventually,

No it won't. You can still buy or sell as many of them off the record as you want, you just won't be affecting the prices on the G.E

how about smithers who are trading the produce of their skilling to others? as well as those who wish to high alch certain profitable armour parts? these players will find themselves at a loss on how to sell the armour they have smithed or buy the armour they want to high alch no?

I just checked, and was able to buy 11 steel platebodies at once, so either the "10 armor per 4 hours" thing is a load of garbage or it only applies to the higher weapons/armor. So to answer your question: No, they won't find themselves at a loss.

please wake up and stop limiting this discussion to godswords alone...it is not as though godswords are the ONLY weapon and "armour" in runescape...

Please, wake up and realize that this is only affecting the stuff NOBODY needs to be buying multiples of in a day, let alone 4 hours. Stop throwing yourself in a Captain Hero to save the defenseless Runescapers from a threat that doesn't exist.

I am in the USA, and for your information, I'm still an undecided voter

4723_image.jpg

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This should have been done a long time ago.

You're right.

Dharoks, emo's ultimate weapon if you know what i'm sayin. :lol:
Very nice 10/10

For a second when I was looking at your drop-list picture. Ilooked at the dragon longsword and said "They have a dragon longsword now??" ohh I'm tired :wall:

..., then I noticed a gravestone where our tank was supposed to be and my health was a 1 digit number again.

no offense against omali but while some people are quoting him, i shall quote Winston Churchill instead who once said, "if you destroy a free market, you get a black market" as well as Milton Friedman who said" The black market was a way of getting around government controls.

You can't create a black market that effects the prices on the G.E, so no offense to Milton Friedman and Winston Churchill, but they'd be utter noobs at Runescape economics

Churchill was a noob when it came to rl economics too. As Chancellor of the Exchequer he was responsible for a return to the gold standard which proved disasterous for the British economy in the 1920s.

For the "moaning" about this: You can still buy AS MANY AS YOU LIKE from others players outside the GE. You just can't have an impact on the internal working of the GE in that case (hmm, no market manipulation).

This looks to be one step to removing pricing limits on the GE.

Consider, I can SELL as much as I want. However, it must be sold to dozens or hundreds of people and not to one person. That's been the one problem when there was no limit on how much can be bought, manipulation by organized, rich groups, and this helps control that. Then again maybe I'm overthinking it.

I wonder now if this means we can soon see a lifting of the 5% limit and removal of the floors and ceilings. If you remove the price floors, soon "junk items" stop being junk since they'll approach their real player value.

So now, what are all the limits for buying at the GE?

PS: Only a moron would compare real world economics as a one to one to Runescape economics.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

You'd think Jagex was smart enough to realize it's own mistakes. Oh well Jagex has always failed at it's own economy, or much rather understanding it.

I agree, and your pure's coming along quite nicely. Well done.

OT: While i do agree that RS needs a free economy, maybe the limits were for a 'Greater Good'.. Nothing can replace pre-GE.. good ol' days. :)

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

You'd think Jagex was smart enough to realize it's own mistakes. Oh well Jagex has always failed at it's own economy, or much rather understanding it.

I agree, and your pure's coming along quite nicely. Well done.

OT: While i do agree that RS needs a free economy, maybe the limits were for a 'Greater Good'.. Nothing can replace pre-GE.. good ol' days. :)

Oh yeah, world hopping only to have your time wasted by a scammer attempting to change steel bars into iron bars, or claim those 1000 unid herbs were all ranarrs. Not having a clue what the current price of an item was without wasting time on RSOF trade and item forums.

Sorry, pre-GE were not good ol' days for me. Yeah, I made lots of cash (herb merchanting mainly) but that was the nature of the system.

In my opinion, it's the great potential of the GE that has still been kept in check by Jagex (due to fear of manipulators) that is causing all this heartache. Once (ok, if) the 5% window and price floors go away, these "limits" on buying will be considered by the average player as irrelevant. Only the "merchanters" will be affected. Let's face it, NO BODY outside of merchanting needs the numbers even the current GE limits have set up.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Doesnt really affect me but im in support of it, Price manipulation is only postive for those profiting, it just messes everyone else up,

:thumbup:

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

It's about damn time. Omali summed it up best: Why can't we just buy things with the intent to use them, instead of the intent to "merchant" them?

QFT

Quote is full of win.

Free Market won't happen folks.

I don't mind really, if I ever got to the point where I'd be able to buy/sell that much of such expensive stuff I'd just be happy I the money to buy it/stuff to sell.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

:lol: no offense against omali but while some people are quoting him, i shall quote Winston Churchill instead who once said, "if you destroy a free market, you get a black market" as well as Milton Friedman who said" The black market was a way of getting around government controls.

You can't create a black market that effects the prices on the G.E, so no offense to Milton Friedman and Winston Churchill, but they'd be utter noobs at Runescape economics.

not only will such restrictions create a black market eventually,

No it won't. You can still buy or sell as many of them off the record as you want, you just won't be affecting the prices on the G.E

how about smithers who are trading the produce of their skilling to others? as well as those who wish to high alch certain profitable armour parts? these players will find themselves at a loss on how to sell the armour they have smithed or buy the armour they want to high alch no?

I just checked, and was able to buy 11 steel platebodies at once, so either the "10 armor per 4 hours" thing is a load of garbage or it only applies to the higher weapons/armor. So to answer your question: No, they won't find themselves at a loss.

please wake up and stop limiting this discussion to godswords alone...it is not as though godswords are the ONLY weapon and "armour" in runescape...

Please, wake up and realize that this is only affecting the stuff NOBODY needs to be buying multiples of in a day, let alone 4 hours. Stop throwing yourself in a Captain Hero to save the defenseless Runescapers from a threat that doesn't exist.

I am in the USA, and for your information, I'm still an undecided voter

4723_image.jpg

Uhm if the pvp worlds are being release I know a few friends will go pvping: WITH barrow armor. Don't tell me that a 2 kills take (on average 50% of the time you fight someone you die) more than an hour? So how are pvpers supposed to "keep up" their armor pile?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Yes I noticed it, I was only able to buy 2 zamorak plates :ohnoes:.

And I've got 1100+ rune (h2) shields in my inventory :lol: .

Guess I'm gonna total quit now,

Even GE Merchanting is boring now I guess.

although; the amount of runes and raw materials are still unchanged?

and buying 6 rares a 12 hour period is still doable,

guess red masks are now to aim our focuses on, for a reasonable profit,

well guess they want Runescape to be equal :roll: .

I don't like these 'hidden' updates though,

why don't they just post in in the in other news category #-o .

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.