Jagex Attempting to Stop Monopolies?

Dragons_Might

does this update limit the amount of other items that players can buy such as food/pots/runes etc?

i can't say i like it...jagex should really stop imposing so many restrictions on the economy... :lol: no offense against omali but while some people are quoting him, i shall quote Winston Churchill instead who once said, "if you destroy a free market, you get a black market" as well as Milton Friedman who said" The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people." and i've yet to see anyone who can prove that a black market is better than a free market.

not only will such restrictions create a black market eventually, it also slows down trade and as proven by the theory of comparative advantage by David Ricardo, free trade on the basis of comparative advantage benefits everyone and results in an overall improvement in the society's standard of living. For example if someone is great at fighting and loves doing that but hates herblore and fishing, he should trade the produce of his fighting (drops from monsters, players etc) for potions and food from players who enjoy fishing and have a high fishing/herblore level (i.e. those who have a comparative advantage in fishing/herblore)

yes some people are saying that who needs to trade more than 10 godswords in a couple of hours but that is being rather one-sided and extreme...it is ridiculous how such blind people only think about armour and equipment as GODSWORDS and nothing else...how about smithers who are trading the produce of their skilling to others? as well as those who wish to high alch certain profitable armour parts? these players will find themselves at a loss on how to sell the armour they have smithed or buy the armour they want to high alch no?

please wake up and stop limiting this discussion to godswords alone...it is not as though godswords are the ONLY weapon and "armour" in runescape...

First of all, use a normal fond. Secondly, you are totally not getting the point. Even when the restrictions were at 100, those problems existed (limit on battle staves, green dhide bodies, etc...). Btw, a smither can still sell all his addy plates without a limit, there's only one on buying. Anyway, this doesnt really have anything to do with what the author wants to talk about. He wants to talk about the NEW restrictions, and the fact that they are blocking out merchanters.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't really make much sense to me, honestly. They're releasing PK Worlds, demand in certain items are obviously going to rise due to the increased number of deaths... So... why potentially cripple players?

Face it... there will be noobs out there who die numerous times and will buy up medicore items. So you're telling me that this individual will only be able to buy ten of each item every four hours with worlds where you can potentially die everywhere? I'm not liking the idea too much. And I hope I'm misinterpreting the facts, because if it's the way I think it will be... that's just mentally challenged. More then likely wont effect me, but it's still stupid.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

So it seems Jagex really is against these mass merchants.

Good. Took them long enough.

I've said since the day the GE came out that I didn't really care for how it was implemented, and I still think the main problem is the too-strict trade limits. But if they aren't going to deal with that, they need to keep plugging the holes that pop up as a result, and price manipulation is one of them.

Of course, the merchants will just move on to something else. That's the problem with applying bandaids to a leaky dam instead of ripping it down and building one that works properly.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

So it seems Jagex really is against these mass merchants.

Good. Took them long enough.

I've said since the day the GE came out that I didn't really care for how it was implemented, and I still think the main problem is the too-strict trade limits. But if they aren't going to deal with that, they need to keep plugging the holes that pop up as a result, and price manipulation is one of them.

Of course, the merchants will just move on to something else. That's the problem with applying bandaids to a leaky dam instead of ripping it down and building one that works properly.

It really hasn't done a whole lot. If it's a band aid they applied, it's shaped like a donut.

I highly doubt the majority of mass merchants had the amount of money to purchase 600 Godswords in one day anyways. In fact, even now I doubt that they can purchase the 60 they're allowed to purchase every day. That's a good 1.2B, and not many people have that kind of value in cash.

The power of mass merchants is in the fact that there are so many of them. This won't slow them in the least.

Well, I've pretty much given up on complaining about how Jagex runs the economy. They've always been some combination of clueless or uncaring about this issue, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

A better idea than what Jagex done would be to instead make a similar number of purchases instead not be counted in the calculation of that item's base price. That way, people can still buy in bulk without screwing over the average player. Or at least without it happening unintentionally. ::'

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Well, I've pretty much given up on complaining about how Jagex runs the economy. They've always been some combination of clueless or uncaring about this issue, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

+1. I have no idea what Jagex was trying to achieve with this update... or what they've been trying to achieve with ANY economy - related update since the Grand Exchange. :wall:

It's about damn time. Omali summed it up best: Why can't we just buy things with the intent to use them, instead of the intent to "merchant" them?

Maybe as a way of making money #-o ? Not all people enjoy "skilling" for their money, and they find methods that suit them.

Generally when i throw up i would rather not have it in my mouth :-X

It's about damn time. Omali summed it up best: Why can't we just buy things with the intent to use them, instead of the intent to "merchant" them?

Why are YOU suddenly the person who gets to decide how all players should play this game?

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again and again. If the market was allowed to operate as a free market, then many, if not ALL problems that we have been encountering in the past year, will disappear. Junk trading would no longer exist. Price manipulation will be limited. Merchants (who have every right to play this game as a skiller or PKer does) will have their own opportunities.

About the limits and the free market, is there anybody who follows the news about the real live free market who still believes that we humans are homo economicus? free markets gives free soapbells and after a while a free meltdown. Restrictions are not necessary bad for our health.

StGerolf.png

[bleep] [bleep] [bleep] [cabbage] [bleep] [bleep] [rooster] [bleep] [bleep] [cabbage] what the hell am I supposed to do with these 4k obby shields?!?!?!!?!?!?

LMFAO.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

They care alright, what do you think is the reason they even bother to add restrictions? It's not because they don't give a damn.

Obviously they don't care too much about the individuals, it's all for The Greater Good - and only They will decide what this Good is.

So they care, but not in the same way you do.

harold_king.png

Playing RS since Nov. 2002 (but with various breaks)

Why do we need 10 God swords an hour again?

Weapons include more then just god swords.

I mean they did limit all the alchables that happen to be weapons or armor like air battlestaves, yew longbows, addy plates.

But IMO thats a good thing cause mass alching for a level isn't an achievement.

Whatisup618.png

whatisup618.png

Proud Owner Of A Quest Cape As Of 4/29/08

The thing is Jagex does understand the economy, and they wan't to change it. They obviosly do not see much value in what the merchants do so they obviously have no qualms about making it a pain in the butt. What could you possibly need 10 godswords for, other than just selling them. People can still get what they need without any problems.

The thing is Jagex does understand the economy, and they wan't to change it. They obviosly do not see much value in what the merchants do so they obviously have no qualms about making it a pain in the butt. What could you possibly need 10 godswords for, other than just selling them. People can still get what they need without any problems.

Godswords fall in price, you BH with and lose them on a regular basis, as do your friends. You want to take advantage of the low price and buy some extras. Hence, you buy 20 in the next 8 hours, some for yourself, some that you'll trade to your friend after he gets on after school (which would be too late for him to buy them himself since the GE has already been bought clean by other people).

Also, it's about more than God Swords.

A new clan is preparing to go to war, but half the members already have multiple GE offers up for other items of their own. A leader with 6 empty GE slots purchases extra rune sets to share with everyone who doesn't want to abort their current offers to buy a few rune scimitars and armor pieces.

You decide to train magic by alching water battle staffs.

You want to train crafting by making battle staffs, and start purchasing the staffs from the GE.

There are many, many reasons to want to buy more than 10 of any armor or weapon. Also, like I said, limiting Godswords does nothing. I highly doubt these mass merchants have enough money INDIVIDUALLY to buy 600 Godswords a day. Even the 60 to which they are limited now is pushing it, that's assuming they have 1200M or 1.2B each to spend on Godswords.

About the limits and the free market, is there anybody who follows the news about the real live free market who still believes that we humans are homo economicus? free markets gives free soapbells and after a while a free meltdown. Restrictions are not necessary bad for our health.

That is what happens in mildly free economy. In completely free economy it would be even more rampart - some restrictions are needed.

I agree with Queltar and many others that floors and ceilings are a bad idea and should be removed as they create 'junk items' who are 'worth' more than their actual usefulness. A price change limit is not such a bad thing though. In real world when shares of a company raise suddenly by a high percent all sorts of agencies start being very nosey and that is good. It deters (not removes... you cant remove anything that ppl want to do from the world) manipulation.

Someone mentiones good old times before GE. Ahem, good old rip-off-the-new-player times? When older players habitually sold things on inflated prices to unsuspecting? Not cool is all i can say.

And at last I dont like merchants and 'investors' on RS because unlike in the real world they do not provide any beneficial services. Merchant in our world is basically a person who moves goods from places they are produces to places they are needed and exacts a fee for that. If as Rs merchant bought som, say, lobbies and carried them over to a training spot and sold for profit - fine. Sitting on your back end in GE and 'merchanting' - well... what exacly that archives apart from him potentially getting richer.

Sames goes for investors, ppl who essectially lend money to companies to help them grow... In rl that is. RS well not really.

Since on RS both merchants and investors do not provide any useful service they are all imho speculants - manipulators. Maybe i'm wrong to think that it is only ever good to profit when you actually produce something or provide an usefull and needed service. But them maybe i'm not.

Dragon drops:

Medium helmet: 1 Shield left half : 1

we can sell in mass amounts though still right?

Yes, but because people can buy less at a time, it might take longer depending on what you're selling.

@Brongar: Yes, but they don't do any wrong either really. Well, investors that is.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

That is what happens in mildly free economy. In completely free economy it would be even more rampart - some restrictions are needed.

I agree with Queltar and many others that floors and ceilings are a bad idea and should be removed as they create 'junk items' who are 'worth' more than their actual usefulness. A price change limit is not such a bad thing though. In real world when shares of a company raise suddenly by a high percent all sorts of agencies start being very nosey and that is good. It deters (not removes... you cant remove anything that ppl want to do from the world) manipulation.

Someone mentiones good old times before GE. Ahem, good old rip-off-the-new-player times? When older players habitually sold things on inflated prices to unsuspecting? Not cool is all i can say.

And at last I dont like merchants and 'investors' on RS because unlike in the real world they do not provide any beneficial services. Merchant in our world is basically a person who moves goods from places they are produces to places they are needed and exacts a fee for that. If as Rs merchant bought som, say, lobbies and carried them over to a training spot and sold for profit - fine. Sitting on your back end in GE and 'merchanting' - well... what exacly that archives apart from him potentially getting richer.

Sames goes for investors, ppl who essectially lend money to companies to help them grow... In rl that is. RS well not really.

Since on RS both merchants and investors do not provide any useful service they are all imho speculants - manipulators. Maybe i'm wrong to think that it is only ever good to profit when you actually produce something or provide an usefull and needed service. But them maybe i'm not.

There is an intrinsic counter for price manipulation in the free market. Caps on prices, price changes, and on the amount you can purchase are completely unnecessary... or would be, if Jagex were to fix the damn Grand Failure.

There is an intrinsic counter for price manipulation in the free market. Caps on prices, price changes, and on the amount you can purchase are completely unnecessary... or would be, if Jagex were to fix the damn Grand Failure.

How do you propose to fix it?

Remove all the restrictions? What would be it diffirent from old system... apart from being faster? Part of this counter manipulation mechanism you talk about is supervision from various govermental and semi-govermental agencies. No market is truly free.

I agree that current system is bad and needs changing. What I disagree with is bringing old, inefficent system back. As i pointed out in the post i'd like to GE to be supervised rather than controlled.

Dragon drops:

Medium helmet: 1 Shield left half : 1

Why are YOU suddenly the person who gets to decide how all players should play this game?

It's not him deciding it. Obviously if Jagex puts out an intentional update that hurts a certain group (certain groups of merchanters have been hurt directly and intentionally in the past) then they do not support that method of playing.

Don't shoot the messenger, be mad at Jagex because they don't like the way mass merchenters are playing, and are taking steps to put it to a halt.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

For all the complanining I've seen about the ge...

Scamming - intentional or not - is gone.

I would much rather dump money into the ge and do something then try to get on world 2 to buy something.

There are no need for middle men - middle men buying say big bones in small quantities, selling in high quantities, or buying something on w2 and selling it on another world...I really admire people who did this, and it really helped out, but IMO an economy is better when these people are not needed...

I'm not the defender of all things Jagex, I just like to make people see the other side of things. Something like the ge could NOT work without SOME form of price restriction (allthough 5% is kinda low...)

And MOST importantly, for all the complaining I've seen, I don't recall seeing anyone coming up with a solution to the problems of the ge...That didn't break the things the ge fixed. With free trade, free gift giving is possible, (and if somehow implemented in the GE would REALLY f- things up) and would allow easy RWT back. It's still done now, but not nearly as easy as before...

I want someone to prove me wrong.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.