2008-2009 Tip.it National Hockey League Thread!

Hawks

I don't really know much about hockey, I just kind of like the flow of the game. It's kind of similar to basketball.

...loads up his rifle.

What? When the goalie gets a save and passes it top a dude and they just go, that is like a fast break in basketball. And what happened to gun control?

*takes out his shotgun*

hiccup.png

What? When the goalie gets a save and passes it top a dude and they just go, that is like a fast break in basketball. And what happened to gun control?

Something said like that would bring me completely against gun control. But to stop being a giant jerk to you, in all fairness, I realize you haven't been "in" to hockey for that long so I'll cut you a break ;) As I stated earlier in the thread I've been playing for 15 years and watching since I was in the womb. I can see where you might get the idea that it is similar to basketball, but let me tell you, it is definitely NOT. The speed of hockey is ridiculously faster compared to that of basketball. I think the only comparison I can fairly make between the two is that they're both played in the winter. Just keep watching games and snag a rule book if you can (hell, I'll send you my old USA Hockey rule book from back when I used to be a ref) and check out some of the basic rules (offsides, icing, 2-line pass, etc.) because it will allow you to understand the game a lot better. Glad to see more people are getting into hockey.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Something said like that would bring me completely against gun control. But to stop being a giant jerk to you, in all fairness, I realize you haven't been "in" to hockey for that long so I'll cut you a break ;) As I stated earlier in the thread I've been playing for 15 years and watching since I was in the womb. I can see where you might get the idea that it is similar to basketball, but let me tell you, it is definitely NOT. The speed of hockey is ridiculously faster compared to that of basketball. I think the only comparison I can fairly make between the two is that they're both played in the winter. Just keep watching games and snag a rule book if you can (hell, I'll send you my old USA Hockey rule book from back when I used to be a ref) and check out some of the basic rules (offsides, icing, 2-line pass, etc.) because it will allow you to understand the game a lot better. Glad to see more people are getting into hockey.

I didn't really mean the speed just the flow. I've only been to one game but it seemed like constant fast break basketball. Like how they just go hella fast and shoot it and it can be the other way right after that. Other than fastbreak it's not that similar. I've always played fastbreak though so that was what I noticed.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

Predictions for Friday Oct 10th

NY Islanders 1 New Jersey 3

Chicago 4 NY Rangers 3

Florida 3 Carolina 0

Montreal 5 Buffalo 3

Washington 4 Atlanta 1

Nashville 1 St Louis 3

Columbus 2 Dallas 4

tax-miley-cyrus_186x200.jpg

RSN: Zammyftw ^^The girl that ruined music.

GO LEAFS GO!

3-2 OVER DETROIT YEAH!

Good to see them get a win to start the season. At least that's one positive that I can point out...

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I didn't really mean the speed just the flow. I've only been to one game but it seemed like constant fast break basketball. Like how they just go hella fast and shoot it and it can be the other way right after that. Other than fastbreak it's not that similar. I've always played fastbreak though so that was what I noticed.

That's why hockey is such a great sport. The speed of it is just amazing, and of course being able to check people is one of my favorite activities.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Montreal WRECKED Toronto, 6-1 Montreal. No contest at all, they were all over them. :D

Cherry also did one of his little "don't play that way kids" after it :roll:

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Montreal WRECKED Toronto, 6-1 Montreal. No contest at all, they were all over them. :D

Cherry also did one of his little "don't play that way kids" after it :roll:

Montreal did to the Leafs what Spielberg and Lucas did to Indiana Jones.

But seriously, that game was amazing. Classic matchup, Saturday night on ThanksGiving weekend, Montreal vs Toronto. And, inevitably, Habs beat them easily.

It looks like the only hope for the Leafs is the first round draft next year :lol:

:thumbup:

hiccup.png

RIP Alexei

Few things I've managed to pick up from Russian sources. Note: I don't speak russian so I'm quoting what I've heard.

* There's supposed to be an ambulance ready all the time during the matches. On this match it had left the hall a bit earlier.

* There was rumours that he had crashed with Jagr. This might be true but according to his (Tsherepanov's) and their coatch nothing unordinary happened on the ice.

* At least earlier today the "best guess" was that he had this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischaemic_heart_disease

* http://rutube.ru/tracks/1103186.html?v= ... 0d32f61b46

There's a video of the bench. You can't see him fainting or anything else violent, so I assume it's not too bad. He is brought to the locker room and gets ovations, I'm not sure was he breathing at that point.

* According to Russian doctors his heart was 2-3 times (2 sources, 2 different numbers) larger than an average heart and his spleen was "gigantic". There's speculation how was he allowed to play in the first place.

edit:

Last year he won the rookie of the year award and he scored more points than Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Malkin on their first seasons. This year he had kept approximately point per game speed.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

RIP Alexei

Few things I've managed to pick up from Russian sources. Note: I don't speak russian so I'm quoting what I've heard.

* There's supposed to be an ambulance ready all the time during the matches. On this match it had left the hall a bit earlier.

* There was rumours that he had crashed with Jagr. This might be true but according to his (Tsherepanov's) and their coatch nothing unordinary happened on the ice.

* At least earlier today the "best guess" was that he had this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischaemic_heart_disease

* http://rutube.ru/tracks/1103186.html?v= ... 0d32f61b46

There's a video of the bench. You can't see him fainting or anything else violent, so I assume it's not too bad. He is brought to the locker room and gets ovations, I'm not sure was he breathing at that point.

* According to Russian doctors his heart was 2-3 times (2 sources, 2 different numbers) larger than an average heart and his spleen was "gigantic". There's speculation how was he allowed to play in the first place.

edit:

Last year he won the rookie of the year award and he scored more points than Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Malkin on their first seasons. This year he had kept approximately point per game speed.

Yeah I read it took 15-20 minutes for the ambulance to return.

I saw the video, it's pretty disgusting they had to lift him up and out of the bench, no stretcher.

In the NHL combines his heart conditions were supposedly normal so who knows about this "heart size" thing. It may be true though.

Yeah he broke numerous records, even one of my favourite players Pavel Bure.

He would of been a great talent. If he was playing in North America he would of had a better chance to survive guaranteed.

tax-miley-cyrus_186x200.jpg

RSN: Zammyftw ^^The girl that ruined music.

• 3 months later...

Public Wants NHL To Knock Out Fighting

A survey of more than 1,000 people across the country conducted during the NHL all-star weekend in Montreal found 54 per cent want fighting tossed from the league. That's up slightly from 2007.

I went to a boxing match and a hockey game didn't break out.

It's quite a ridiculous proposition; Fighting relieves the tension between players/teams and lessens the amount of cheap shots/injuries, etc.

How many people have been seriously injured by fighting as opposed to an unexpected boarding?

Anyway, I'm one of your local Shark's fans apparently. <3:

I got to see them play against Vancouver on 1/20, it was quite an uneventful game

until the last ~30 seconds, in which the Sharks tied it up and won in OT.

Curse you, suspense! :lol:

FINALLY! an ice hockey thread <3: I will defiantly be checking this often.

Since I live in Detroit....I guess i'm supposed to like the Red Wings....but tbh, I think they're overrated ;)

I've been an Ottawa Senators fan ever since I was little (yes, I know that they suck this year ::' )

GO SENS!

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)