Hunter - The Beginners Guide

SomeWelshGuy

logo2.png

Introduction

While looking for a hunting guide to use when I was around level 10 hunter, all I found were many guides saying the same thing, telling you what to do to get the best experience. To me, nothing is fun if you only have one route you can take, choice is good. So in this guide, it shows all of the ways to get to the landmark level of 63 hunting.

This guide is an upgrade of The Beginners Guide to 63 Hunter, which was also created by myself. It is also similar to another guide I posted. I decided to limit it back down to 63 hunter, as that is what proved best.

Experience per hour is also coming soon. I need to find the time to get accurate results, but hopefully they will be available soon.

This guide is also exclusive to tip.it and Draynor. It has not been posted anywhere else.

How to use this guide

I have tried to make this guide follow the clearest layout possible. Each level range has its own collapsible box, and within these boxes show all the possible ways of getting to the next level range. You can then follow the different boxes as you progress. Still with me? Well, it is easier to understand when actually see it.

As this is a pretty long guide, using CTRL + F to help find a specific level range or section is a great idea. It is picture intense which may be a problem for dial-up users, but I am sure most of you would prefer to have pictures to help explain.

[hide=Introduction to the hunter skill]Back to basics

There are no level requirements for this section.

So, you want to begin hunting, eh? Well, you are reading the right guide! Hunting is a great skill. Its profitable, easy to level, and most importantly, fun. Now, before we begin hunting, we require a few items. Dont worry, it wont cost you more than 1k, but these items are essential for beginner and expert hunter alike.

Unfortunately, you cant buy hunting gear in any old shop, but on the positive side, there are two hunting shops for you to choose from:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Yanille - This is your best option. Yanille has its own bank, and is quite close to major teleport locations, such as Castle Wars, fairy rings and the Watchtower teleport. We will be covering this shop in greater detail below.

[*:3cobzbwk]Nardah There is also a hunter shop in Nardah, although it is quite tricky to get to, and for lower levels may be dangerous due to it being in the desert. I do not recommend you visit this shop, it is not any different to Yanille, but it is in a very awkward place. Because of this, this shop will not be covered in the guide.

Getting there

Ok, hopefully you have chosen to use the Yanille shop. There are a few ways to get to Yanille, the most popular options will be shown below on the map:

map1.png

Walking (Not shown) - Walking is probably the most fool-proof way of getting there. Wherever you are, just click on the World Map icon within the game window, and navigate your way there. Yanille is near the bottom left corner of the map.

Castle Wars (Shown as black route) - One of the most effective ways of getting there. No skills or quests required, simply buy a ring of duelling from the Grand Exchange, rub it and choose the Castle Wars option. You can then follow the route shown on the map to Yanille.

Watchtower Teleport (Shown as yellow route) - The fastest way of getting there, simply cast the Watchtower Teleport. Level 58 magic is required, as well as completion of the Watchtower quest.

Fairy Ring CIQ (Shown as blue route) - Also a quick route, although it requires a Dramen Staff, and Fairy Tale Part II to be semi-completed.

House teleport (Shown as red route) - Very quick if you have 50 construction and a house inside Yanille.

Lets shop

Youve made it, well done! Now, go inside the shop if you are not already inside, and trade with that person called Aleck. You will then get the following screen:

hunterstore1th7.png

Now, you can buy whatever you like here. Different hunter equipment for different things, some you may never use, and some you may use often. It depends on the path you take. You can always come back for more or less, but if you would like to get kitted out for every situation, I recommend you buy the following:

• [*:3cobzbwk]1 Butterfly Net

[*:3cobzbwk]5 Butterfly Jars

[*:3cobzbwk]5 Bird Snares

[*:3cobzbwk]6 Box Traps

You might not use some of the equipement, but this makes sure you do not need to come back again. It doesnt cost much either, which is always a plus. Now that you have the supplies, we can focus on some other tips.

What to wear

As you are only a beginner hunter, many of the great hunter clothes will not be available to you. Near the end of the guide, you should be able to wear a great hunter outfit such as this:

outfit.png

But for now, anything light will do. I recommend either random event clothes, something light such as robes or d hide, or simply nothing at all:

wear1.png

Levels and Quests

The great thing about hunter is that no levels or quests are required. I could list all of the quests that give you access to new areas, experience boosts etc, but that would be pointless. The only one quest I highly recommend you doing is:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Eagles Peak -This gives a lot of hunter experience, is fun, and also gives you access to ferrets.

Apart from that, you are good to go! Keep following the guide, and enjoy your hunting!

Skill perks unlocked at this level range:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Hunting equipment

[*:3cobzbwk]Knowledge on how to begin hunting!

[/hide]

[hide=Levels 0 - 9]Your first hunt

Before reading this section, it is recommended that you read the previous section.

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Bird Snare

Well done, you have made it past my hunting tutorial! Now that you are prepared, it is time to actually hunt! We will begin hunting in an area called the Jungle hunting area. It is a bit out of the way, but it is still easy enough to access.

Getting there

map2.png

From Castle Wars/Yanille (Shown as green route) - One of the simplest ways of getting there, simply go to Yanille and follow the path down. Lower level players may need to take care of the ogres on the way down, so some food may be needed.

Gnome Glider (Shown as orange route) - Very close to the hunting area, although it does require The Grand Tree and One Small Favour quests to be completed.

Fairy Ring [AKS] (Shown as blue route) - Like the gnome glider, very close to the hunting area. Also, like all fairy rings, require Fairy Tale Part II to be semi-completed.

Oo'glog (Shown as pink route) - This route has been mentioned as Oo'glog has a charter ship port, which makes it accessible from many major destinations.

Crimson Swift

You will be catching a bird called the Crimson Swift. Catching birds is easy, simply stand in the area where you can see the birds flying about, and click Lay on your bird snare. Your bird snare will be setup like so:

1.png

After a while, a bird will land on your snare. One of two things could happen. The bird could either realise it is a trap and fly away. The trap will be sprung but nothing will get caught. If this happens, simply dismantle your trap and try again. The bird could also get caught in the trap. If so, it will look like this:

2.png

Simply check the trap, and you will have caught your first bird. Well done! Simply either discard or keep the items from the trap, some are useful and some are not.

Continue this until you have reached level 9 hunting.

• [*:3cobzbwk]The ability to wear camo clothes

[/hide]

[hide=Levels 9 - 20]Practice makes perfect

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Bird Snare

[*:3cobzbwk]Optional: Butterfly Net

[*:3cobzbwk]Optional: Butterfly Jars

Great work, now that you have some experience in hunting, we can now move to a brand new hunting area. It is even more remote than the Jungle Hunting area, but offers a lot of new things for you to hunt.

Getting there

route3zh9.png

Fairy Ring [AKQ ](Shown as blue route) - This is the simplest way of getting here. Like all other fairy tings, required semi completion of Fairy Tale Part II.

Piscatoris Fishing Colony (Shown as yellow route) - A handy little place, which requires Swan Song to be completed. While it is not necessarily a route, it has a bank which is useful in a remote place such as this one.

Walking (Shown as green route) - This is where you will come from if you choose to walk. Remember to walk around Eagles Peak, as you cannot walk over it.

Copper Longtails

You will be catching Copper Longtails, using the same technique as discussed in the previous chapter.

4.png

Optional: Butterflies

When you reach level 15 hunting you can catch butterflies a little bit south of the copper longtails. Continue to set up your bird snares like before, but instead of standing there like a lemon, start catching the butterflies with your net. Simply release them from the jars after catching.

5.png

Continue this until you have reached level 20 hunting.

• [*:3cobzbwk]The ability to set up two traps at a time (Level 20)

[/hide]

[hide=Levels 20 - 29]Youre getting there

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Bird Snares

We will be travelling back to the Jungle Hunting area for this section. If you need a refresher on how to hunt, or how to get to the Jungle area, take a look at the first and second sections again for more detailed descriptions.

Getting there

map3.png

From Castle Wars/Yanille (Shown as green route) - One of the simplest ways of getting there, simply go to Yanille and follow the path down. Lower level players may need to take care of the ogres on the way down, so some food may be needed.

Gnome Glider (Shown as orange route) - Very close to the hunting area, although it does require The Grand Tree and One Small Favour quests to be completed.

Fairy Ring [AKS] (Shown as blue route) - Like the gnome glider, very close to the hunting area. Also, like all fairy rings, require Fairy Tale Part II to be semi-completed.

Oo'glog (Shown as pink route) - This route has been mentioned as Oo'glog has a charter ship port, which makes it accessible from many major destinations.

Tropical Wagtails

Here you will be catching the tropical wagtail, using the same technique as before. Be excited, because this will be the last type of bird you will catch! Hooray!

3.png

Continue this until you have reached level 29 hunting.

• [*:3cobzbwk]Access to the base level (more details in the next section).

[*:3cobzbwk]The ability to wear Larupia Hunting clothes (level 28, not covered in this guide, please see the RuneScape KB on info on how to get it)

[/hide]

[hide=Levels 29 - 43]Choice of the hunt

Congratulations! You have reached what I call the base hunter level. From now on, you dont have to do everything I say, you get a choice in what method you use to train.

Option A: Ferrets

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Box Traps

Quests Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Eagles Peak

Your first option is ferrets. They are very fun, and are relatively easy to get to. The spot is shown below:

ferretmapcp9.jpg

Simply lay the traps in a straight line, and watch the ferrets wander into your traps. Release them when your inventory gets full. Remember, at level 40 you can lay 3 traps at a time.

6.png

Continue here until level 43 hunting.

Option B: Swamp Lizards

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Small Nets and Ropes

Quests Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Priest in Peril

Swamp lizards are enjoyable, and some people find them more interesting than ferrets. They are situated near Canifis, which requires the Priest in Peril quest to be completed.

How to get there

swamplizardmapea4.jpg

From Canifis Bank (Shown as blue route) - This is the simplest way of getting there, simply walk from canifis bank. It is also a relatively safe route.

From the Ectofuntus [safe] (Shown as orange route) - Use the Ectophial to get to the ectofuntus and walk. It is a long walk, but avoids the haunted woods and the dangers within.

From the Ectofuntus [Haunted Woods] (Shown as yellow route) - Like above, use the Ectophial to get to the ectofuntus, except this route goes through the haunted woods. It is quicker, although you will encounter vampires and leaches on the way.

Swamp Lizards

To catch a swamp lizard, you need a net trap. To create one, simply select the Set trap option on a young tree whist having a small fishing net and a rope in your inventory. There may be a few Ghasts around the area, which can turn food rotten and hurt you, but they do not tend to go to the hunting site often.

7.png

Continue here until level 43 hunting.

• [*:3cobzbwk]The ability to wear spotted capes (Level 40)

[*:3cobzbwk]The ability to set up 3 traps at once (Level 40)

[/hide]

[hide=Levels 43- 59]Now were talking

Well done, youre doing great. You may notice training is not quite as quick as previous levels, but fear not, youll get through it.

Option A: Falconry

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]500gp

Everyone loves the falconry. Why do you have to do all the work, when you can get some super trained bird to do it for you? The falconry is located in the Woodland Hunting area, near where you were catching the copper longtails. In case you have forgotten, here is a map.

How to get there

map4.png

Walking (Shown as green route) - Simplest way again, just grab a world map and walk from your current position.

Fairy Ring [AKQ] (Shown as blue route) - The quickest way of getting there. Youre at a respectable hunting level now; do I still need to tell you that semi completion of Fairy Tale Part II is required? Ok, fine. I will keep telling you.

Piscatoris Fishing Colony (Shown as orange route) - A handy little place, which requires Swan Song to be completed. While it is not necessarily a route, it has a bank which is useful in a remote place such as this one to store the furs, which can be used for spotted and spottier capes.

The Falconry

When you get there, simply hop over the stile and pay Mathias 500gp. He will then give you a bird. Wield it, and then attempt to catch the spotted kebbits. Your bird will then fly towards one, and hopefully catch one, giving you the experience. Otherwise, it will fail, and you will have to try again.

8.png

Continue here until level 59 hunting.

Option B: Orange Salamanders

You need to have trained in the Falconry until level 47 to use this method.

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Small Nets & Ropes

[*:3cobzbwk]Waterskins

[*:3cobzbwk]Desert Robes

One thing about these Orange Salamanders, as you may have noticed, are in the desert. Woah! Dont panic, its not that bad. They are a complete change from the falconry, and are completely optional. They provide roughly the same experience.

How to get there

map5.png

Walking [shantay Pass] (Shown as orange route) - You can easily walk there from the Shantay Pass. It is a pretty long walk though, and quite dangerous for lower levels.

Fairy Ring [DLQ] (Shown as blue route) - The quickest and best way of getting there. There is a bank and fountain right in Zanaris for you to refill your waterskins, and it is very close to the hunting site. There are a few desert lizards on the way, so lower levels may want to watch out.

Ruins of Uzer [Magic Carpet] (Shown as green route) - A handy little spot, go though the Shantay Pass and pay 200gp (100gp with the ring of charos, 50gp with the ring and offered to help Ali in Al-Karid) to the magic carpet operator. Then just sit (or stand) back, and enjoy the ride. It is a short walk to the hunter site after that.

Orange Salamanders

When you get there, simply lay the traps like you did with Swamp Lizards. With a small fishing net and a rope in your inventory, click Set-Trap on the young trees. Waterskins may seem a pain to bring, but the experience is worth it.

9.png

Continue here until level 59 hunting.

Option C: Chinchompas

You need to have trained in the Falconry or on Orange Salamanders until level 53 to use this method.

Items Required:

I didnt include this in previous guides, because it doesnt have the best experience compared to red salamanders. But I cant tell you not to train on them, because I did myself. I got bored of red salamanders, so chinchompas were a great option. They arent the best experience, but are very fun.

How to get there

route3zh9.png

Fairy Ring [AKQ ](Shown as blue route) - This is the simplest way of getting here. Like all other fairy tings, required semi completion of Fairy Tale Part II.

Piscatoris Fishing Colony (Shown as yellow route) - A handy little place, which requires Swan Song to be completed. While it is not necessarily a route, it has a bank which is useful in a remote place such as this one.

Walking (Shown as green route) - This is where you will come from if you choose to walk. Remember to walk around Eagles Peak, as you cannot walk over it.

Grey Chinchompas

When you get there, try laying your traps in a triangle/star formation for the best results. Whats great is that like their red counterparts, they stack, so now bank runs or dropping is needed.

chin.png

Continue here until level 59 hunting.[/hide]

[hide=Levels 59- 63]Youre on a roll

Brilliant, you are on your last step towards the landmark of 63 hunting! There are a few more options ahead of you, so choose wisely.

Red Salamanders

Items Required:

• [*:3cobzbwk]Small Nets & Ropes

Doesnt everyone love red salamanders? Not really, no. Some love them, and some hate them. You will stay here for a little while. They are not that bad, dont worry.

How to get there

redsalamandersmapfg5.jpg

(Wow, this map is going to take a long time to label)

Walking [Castle Wars] (Shown as green route) - Either from Castle Wars, Yanille or wherever, walking is the fool-proof way of getting there.

Fairy Ring [CIQ] (Shown as blue route) - Not the best way of getting there, but it is faster than walking. Requires Fairy Tale Part II to be semi-completed.

Walking [Ardougne] (Shown as red route) - This is a pretty good way of getting there is you can teleport to Ardougne.

Spirit Tree (Shown as orange route) - The easiest way of getting there, just use a spirit tree (the one in the Grand Exchange, for example), and choose the Ardougne option. It is just a short walk from there.

Red Salamanders

You know the drill, click Set-Trap on a young tree whilst having a small fishing net and a rope in your inventory. It can get a bit fiddly sometimes, but it is relatively fool-proof.

10.png

Continue here until level 63 hunting.

• [*:3cobzbwk]The ability to set up 4 traps at once (Level 60)

[/hide]

[hide=Red Chinchompas]Master of the hunt

Congratulations! You have reached level 63 hunting, one of the main landmarks of the skill, as you can catch the brilliant red chinchompa. Not only is it a great range weapon, it is worth 700gp+, and is always in demand.

Now, the main focus of this guide is to get you to this level, and so great job! Of course, training on some of the other methods in the guide will give you faster experience than red chinchompas at the moment. Other guides go into great deal about the ways to train beyond 63 hunting, but that is not within the scope of this guide. This section is just simply to get you started on catching red chinchompas, and making money.

You can find these fickle creatures in many spots, and one I will show below:

Red Chinchompas

Items Required:

How to get there

redchinmap.png

Walking (Not shown) - Either from Castle Wars, Yanille or wherever, walking is the fool-proof way of getting there.

Fairy Ring [AKS] (Shown as blue route) - On of the fastest ways to get there. Requires Fairy Tale Part II to be semi-completed.

Gnome Glider (Shown as green route) - A quick and easy way to get there. Requires The Grand Tree and One Small Favour quests to be completed.

Spirit Graahk Teleport (Not shown) - The fastest and easiest way to get there, if you have the required summoning level.

Red Chinchompas

Yes, you are finally here. 63 hunting. Red chinchompas. So, what are you waiting for? Simply lay your box traps in a formation similar to as shown below:

red_chins.png

(Red Haze over the traps)

If there are two or more people there, simply change worlds. German worlds are usually empty if you cant find an empty normal world. If you find that the catch rate is slow, try going back to red salamanders for a few levels and try again.

Skill perks to look out for beyond 63 hunting:

• [*:3cobzbwk]The ability to wear spottier capes (Level 66)

[*:3cobzbwk]The ability to set up 5 traps at once (Level 80)

[*:3cobzbwk]A Hunter Skillcape! (Level 99)

[/hide]

The End

You have reached the end of my guide. Hopefully you will have found some of the information within useful for training hunter. If you would be kind enough to leave a few encouraging comments, it would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading, and good luck with your hunting!

Please do not re-post, quote or claim this guide as your own without permission from myself. I worked hard on this guide, and I dont want people to claim it as their own.

Changelog

•  
    [*:3cobzbwk]07/10/08 - 19:15 - Guide posted

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Wow, great guide, i'm currently trying for 99, started at 46, and been using it for those quick levels. Just a couple things i would like to see, how many chins/xp per hour at various levels, like by the 10's would be very nice and helpful. Other than that seems good.

triplewich-sighd.jpg

Sig made by Dragon100177/Hatebringer.

Triplewich's Blog

Solo Drops: Saradomin Hilt: 1xBando Hilt:1x Bando Tasset:2x Bando Plate:1x Godsword Shards:3x Saradomin Sword:5x

Team Drops(CS): 1x Saradomin Hilt: 2x Saradomin Sword

Team Drops(LS): 1x Saradomin Hilt

Metal Dragon Maging/Ranging/Meleeing Guide by Triplewich

11,026th to 99 mage!!!51,536 to 99 Str!!!30,960 to 99 Range!!!47,435 to 99 HP!!!2,048 to 99 COnstruction!!!72,957 to 99 Att!!!

Sorry for not replying, been busy lately.

Wow, great guide, i'm currently trying for 99, started at 46, and been using it for those quick levels. Just a couple things i would like to see, how many chins/xp per hour at various levels, like by the 10's would be very nice and helpful. Other than that seems good.

Yea, I'm working on xp per hour figures at the moment. Hopefully I should get them sorted soon.

Definetely go more in-depth in Red chinchompas, it is the meat after the guide, after all.

I'll try to include more about red chinchompas, I'm trying to focus more on getting to 63 hunter, but I see your point. Thanks.

Thank you :D

Have leveled 6 times in 20 minutes after reading this :)

No problem, that's what it's here for. Thanks for the comment :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much of a necro-post this is, but... I just wanted to post here to say that catching ruby harvests is WELL worth it. The provide fast exp, and they also earn a lot of money(600 gp each - the jar cost). Does anyone know why they're worth so much mroe than all of the rest? Also, I think this is a good guide, and more people should use it.

Goldflame.png

Click here to learn the best profit from MTK.

I'm not sure how much of a necro-post this is, but... I just wanted to post here to say that catching ruby harvests is WELL worth it. The provide fast exp, and they also earn a lot of money(600 gp each - the jar cost). Does anyone know why they're worth so much mroe than all of the rest? Also, I think this is a good guide, and more people should use it.

Because they are a summoning secondary to Forge Regents.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually post around the forums, but i'll say a few things. First of all, great guide. I am just in the process of getting all my noob stats (40-) to 60 and Hunter was on of them. Your guide was very clear and to the point. The only thing I suggest is exp/hour but other then that, awesome.

=D> =D> =D>

25qpy4j.png

Signature made by me ^^

Proud owner of a Fire Cape!

Very nice guide, I'm gunna use this to help get my nooby hunter up \'

Bogwaga.gif

bogwaga.png

Notable Drops:

5 X Dragon Axe.......1 X D Skirt...............1 X Bandos Platebody

3 X Zerker Ring.......1 X Bandos Hilt

4 X Warrior Ring......1 X Bandos Tassets

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah this guide is definately worth giving credit about. I finally just begun hunting and I've been following this guide to a T. I would strongly suggest it to anyone who is attempting the beginning stages of hunting. Great job man even if you don't check it anymore. 9/10

rattled.png

• 1 month later...

Looks good; I skimmed it until I got to the red chinchompa part, since I have significantly less interest in the previous levels. When telling how to get to the hunting grounds, you put the spirit graahk teleport as an option; it's the spirit larupia, the graahk teleports you just outside of Shilo Village.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

This is an amazing guide; so thank you :thumbsup:

Hunter is one of my favorite skills just due to the sheer unpredictible nature of it, but i had no idea what to do other than catch polar kebbits......... anyhoo thanks to you i went from 24 hunter to 47 today in a few hours and made me a nice lil profit too which gave me 400K to use for slayer equipment when i bought me an ammy of fury :thumbsup: so thanks!!!!!!

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Wow, I completely forgot I made this, seems like such a long time ago :shock:

Thank you for the great comments, I didn't realize people were still using this guide. I may revamp soon as I can see that it has gained some interest recently.

I would also like to add something.

Maybe you could include some things to do while hunting. You could possibly bring things to alch or, my personal favorite, bring a hatchet and tinderbox and chop trees and burn. There are many different types of trees near several of the hunting locations. There are eucalyptus trees near tropical tropical wagtails, yews near ferrets, etc. Its always good to get some extra xp and since you're not doing anything while waiting, you might as well do something productive.

EDIT: Only during the lower levels when it takes a while to catch anything.

Thank you so much! Thanks to this guide I *am about* to get 63 hunter in like 4 days. I was so confused about hunter at first, but now I am able to help others in game. So thank you once again.

king_bawoul.png

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good guide for a newbie hunter who doesn't know where to start. Wish I had a guide like this when I started out. ::'

Just a little error. A Spirit Graahk teleports you west of the nature altar. I believe you were thinking of Larupia.

Explain.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great guide here, it is good to see the basics acutually outlined. Almost all the other guide out there expect you to allready know everything and think the only achievement is 99. While they forget there are 98 other levels before that.

Anyway very helpful for a lower lvl hunter like myself looking to get the basic methods and some better understanding on how to train the skill.

pocket_0aces.png