So what does a Scientologist believe?

Will H

I wish I could reply seriously, and accept their beliefs as I'd accept Judaism or Hinduism. But I can't. It's just so funny.

Please don't bash Scientology. Although I'm sure many of you don't agree with its doctrines, it is still a religion followed by many people. You wouldn't bash Christianity or Islam, so don't do it here either.

*Snicker*

I was thinking the same thing.

Haha, same here.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't bash Scientology. Although I'm sure many of you don't agree with its doctrines, it is still a religion followed by many people. You wouldn't bash Christianity or Islam, so don't do it here either.

RAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEEE

Islam and Christianity don't split up families and then charge money for it. If they did I would bash them on tip.it, and everywhere else. Don't even think about comparing Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Bhuddism or any others to freaking $cientology. They don't charge for it and they don't silence their members.

And I call all religions out on their junk. Scientology especially because they don't even try to teach morality and good.

Anything should be freely criticized in a constructive matter, even religions (that includes christianity, islam, hinduism, buddhism etc) to find an objective truth. Fortunately finally by WW2 and nazi Germany, the world finally learned that... If a belief system is way out of place and starts hurting people, it has to be questioned and/or fought.

I don't really oppose scientology, but it has despicable operating patterns which include coercion, sabotage of people unwilling to ascend to "higher" levels of scientology (in the forms of massive, even up to $100k's payments), I wouldn't even classify it as a religion so much as a philosophical cult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(cult)

The group's end coincided with the appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997. Applewhite convinced 38 followers to commit suicide, which he claimed would allow their souls to board a spaceship that they believed was hiding behind the comet.

Further, Heaven's Gate believed that the planet Earth was about to be recycled (wiped clean, refurbished and rejuvenated), and that the only chance to survive was to leave it immediately.[2] While the group was formally against suicide, they defined "suicide" in their own context to mean "to turn against the Next Level when it is being offered",

Just another example some of you maybe even heard of years earlier... Ok, freedom of religion by nature allows people to believe in anything (anything at all, no matter how ridiculous) but when the leader persuades & brainwashes innocent human beings into taking their lives to ascend on a non-existent spaceship hiding behind a comet, that's when the ridiculous excuse of a belief system has gone too far and someone should shut it down before people die.

Scientology is something I tend to stay away from. I've seen too much propaganda against it for me to believe it has done anything wrong. At the same time, that propaganda had an effect on me. I swear it nearly drove me over the edge of rage. Two parts of my mind, each completely adamant on their belief, contradicting each other.

Scientology is "just a quirky Hollywood religion". Then again, Christianity was probably considered just a cult when it was starting to spread.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Scientology is "just a quirky Hollywood religion". Then again, Christianity was probably considered just a cult when it was starting to spread.

The original quote was actually "not just a quirky Hollywood religion" reflecting the topic content.. Anyways that's beside the point..

Christianity was treated as a cult, and did get persecuted.. But the beliefs were basic enough to help people get through their hardships and everyday common lives. People don't really devote themselves to religion in big masses unless it makes sense.

Blame me for being biased, but the core basis of the Xenu god, thetans, etc.. Don't make any sense at all.. For further reading/understanding of what they believe in, consult http://www.encyclocentral.com/19901-Xen ... Bombs.html

Xenu, according to Scientology founder (and science fiction writer) L. Ron Hubbard, was the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions[1] of his people to Earth in DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs.

Xenu ruled over Galactic Confederacy almost 75 million years ago. He had many stars and planets including Earth under his control. The planets were over populated. It is described that the people of those planets wore clothes similarly like we dress today. They too went around in cars and trains. When Xenu was ousted from power he thought of a way of eliminating the extra population. He then with the help of psychiatrists, he called billions of his people and paralyzed them after injecting alcohol and glycol. He then put all of them in a spacecraft and transported them to Teegeeack (the name given to Earth during Xenus time).

Really, I don't know if I should feel sorry for Hubbard's followers, or burst into hysterical laughter. I occassionally opt for the second sometimes while reading about SL. You have to be desperate to believe in the core scientology beliefs & pay money to advance to 'next levels' (or Thetans, as they say)

Then again that stuff isn't so surprising if you consider Hubbard himself was a sci-fi author. It just seems he takes his followers for complete morons.

Limpbizket is right. A discussion board is the last place to get unbiased views on such a controversial subject. I'll try to stay neutral for now (even though my gut is screaming at me to yell expletives at Tom Cruise and L. Ron Hubbard).

Frankly, I don't think many people actually believe the whole Lord Xenu thing, scientology seems more into lawsuits and mandatory donations (an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) than to spreading the good news. Now if anyone actually believes the whole Lord Xenu thing, fine. I won't bash your faith if you don't bash mine (actually, I really want to bash your faith. But I'll restrain myself for now :) ).

Wikipedia seems to be the only thing remotely close to a neutral perspective on scientology at this point. The internet is either for scientology (as in scientology's websites) or against it (as a majority of the internet and the blogs that scientology is trying to hush). I'm fairly certain there are no known scientologists on tif (if there are, don't be afraid to come out. It'd be interesting to hear another view for once), so good luck getting accurate, neutral beliefs out of anything but wiki.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

They believe that they are born evil and most pureify themselves all of their goods and to donate money to the Church.

They also believe that their bodies are cages of aliens and that they must get them freed

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I can't honestly tell you exactly what Scientologists believe, because they would sue and harass me for copyright infringement.

Which in itself should tell you something about their beliefs. They won't sue for copyright infringement of something they don't own.

To adress the topic, the official line that Scientologists give you is easily accessible on their website. I can't remember exactly their official beliefs, but they were basically a mix of philosophical notions, ethics, and beliefs about the nature of humans and spirituality. Totally forgettable stuff, in my opinion.

http://www.scientology.org/

Don't hate on Scientology for their theological beliefs.

If they want to believe in aliens and space emperors, whatever, that's their right. I believe in a man walking on water, to some people's ears they sound equally crazy.

It is the Church, and their actions, that need to be stopped. Forced abortions, fair gaming people, destorying families, conning people, killing Lisa McPhearson, attempting to ruin Paulette Cooper's career.

THAT is why Scientology is a cult, not because of their theological beliefs.

Ya... Guys plz stop with the religious bashing (And no more copying from Dramatica).

Of course I still refuse to see the church as anything good, but I have not heard much news lately, so I am sure they have quieted down or something.

OT: Basically think about aliens and souls.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Now if anyone actually believes the whole Lord Xenu thing, fine. I won't bash your faith if you don't bash mine (actually, I really want to bash your faith. But I'll restrain myself for now :) ).

For a belief to be valid, it has to make at least some sense. Look at the facts objectively:

•  
    [*:18monrdm]Hubbard is a scifi author.

[*:18monrdm]"Xenu" brought billions of people to Earth, but our planet apparently had too many people, so he dispersed the excess ones on volcanoes by a spaceship and then destroyed them with hydrogen bombs, making those people's souls into 'thetans'.

[*:18monrdm]"Xenu" called some psychiatrists, who paralyzed all the leftover people in the world after injecting them with glycol and alcohol.

Sure, anyone can believe whatever they want, but that theory has no factual basis, zero historical accuracy & it never happened anywhere else except Hubbard's little world inside his head. Not just that, but his organization charges people money to believe in his ridiculous theories.

Why any sane person would believe in scientology's core premises is beyond my comprehension. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism don't even remotely compare to scientology in the scale of ridiculous assumptions or claimed miraculous events.

I wouldn't say it's bashing to look at an organization for what it is. Rightfully so, Germany and some other countries refuse to acknowledge scientology as a religion. [1]

Germany's top security officials said Friday they consider the goals of the Church of Scientology to be in conflict with the principles of the nation's constitution and will seek to ban the organization.

"From a number of sources, some of them not available to the public, it has been determined that (the organization) seeks to limit or rescind basic and human rights, such as the right to develop one's personality and the right to be treated equally,"

Feel free to believe anything, but you cross a line when it starts affecting other people negatively.

Ya... Guys plz stop with the religious bashing

*Psst* Make it a rule, please! :D *Psst*

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Surely what should be against the rules already is. For example if I was to call you a stupid Christian or something, a mod should be able to take action against that. However, I don't think it should be against the rules for me to say that I think Christianity is stupid.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Why bother debating at all if we're not allowed to give negative opinions? Strikes me as a very stupid rule.

All I know about Scientology is that the French are about <-> this close to banning it completely. It's recognised as an "absolute sect" there, not a religion.

We shouldn't make rules against calling things stupid, no matter what those things are. This is supposed to be somewhere where we can talk about anything PG-13 and give our opinions on them. Inevitably people will hold opinions which offend others.

If people want a place where religion is held up on a holy pedestal where it's not criticised or called stupid in some way, then they should go to a religiously minded forum.

We shouldn't make rules against calling things stupid, no matter what those things are. This is supposed to be somewhere where we can talk about anything PG-13 and give our opinions on them. Inevitably people will hold opinions which offend others.

If people want a place where religion is held up on a holy pedestal where it's not criticised or called stupid in some way, then they should go to a religiously minded forum.

I don't think it's when something is simply called stupid. This sub-forum has been known to get into some pretty long religious "debates", if you can even call it so (debating religion is an oxymoron). There are quite a few people with varying belief who just straight bash someone else's faith. Now it's nice to be able to talk about more mature opinions, but not in such a stupid manner. That's why I like posting here, because of the people who don't do that.

I don't think it's when something is simply called stupid. This sub-forum has been known to get into some pretty long religious "debates", if you can even call it so (debating religion is an oxymoron). There are quite a few people with varying belief who just straight bash someone else's faith. Now it's nice to be able to talk about more mature opinions, but not in such a stupid manner. That's why I like posting here, because of the people who don't do that.

Please (and no I do not mean to be a jerk), tell me how debating religion is an oxymoron?

And I know that many people have gotten mad at me for debating Christianity on the sole fact that I say "god does not exist". I think a lot of Christians (at least the ones I have spoken with including my family) put up the wall when I say that one little phrase. Debating religion goes on a two way street. Perhaps I get offended when you say, that because I don't believe in god or recognize that jesus is my savior, I'm going to hell and that I "need to be saved". In all honesty, that does offend me, but I'll put it aside to have a debate about it. I think that some of the believers need to settle down a bit and realize that some people don't believe in it and we're not going to walk on glass for those that do.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Now if anyone actually believes the whole Lord Xenu thing, fine. I won't bash your faith if you don't bash mine (actually, I really want to bash your faith. But I'll restrain myself for now :) ).

For a belief to be valid, it has to make at least some sense. Look at the facts objectively:

•  
    [*:jiojb6sl]Hubbard is a scifi author.

[*:jiojb6sl]"Xenu" brought billions of people to Earth, but our planet apparently had too many people, so he dispersed the excess ones on volcanoes by a spaceship and then destroyed them with hydrogen bombs, making those people's souls into 'thetans'.

[*:jiojb6sl]"Xenu" called some psychiatrists, who paralyzed all the leftover people in the world after injecting them with glycol and alcohol.

Sure, anyone can believe whatever they want, but that theory has no factual basis, zero historical accuracy & it never happened anywhere else except Hubbard's little world inside his head. Not just that, but his organization charges people money to believe in his ridiculous theories.

Why any sane person would believe in scientology's core premises is beyond my comprehension. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism don't even remotely compare to scientology in the scale of ridiculous assumptions or claimed miraculous events.

I wouldn't say it's bashing to look at an organization for what it is. Rightfully so, Germany and some other countries refuse to acknowledge scientology as a religion. [1]

Germany's top security officials said Friday they consider the goals of the Church of Scientology to be in conflict with the principles of the nation's constitution and will seek to ban the organization.

"From a number of sources, some of them not available to the public, it has been determined that (the organization) seeks to limit or rescind basic and human rights, such as the right to develop one's personality and the right to be treated equally,"

Feel free to believe anything, but you cross a line when it starts affecting other people negatively.

What strikes me is that it seems impossible for a belief (I think the term belief is better here than religion) to function like that when it is so implausible. You could be forced that you declare your belief of it, but how could anyone convince themselves that it's actually true?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Scientology doesn't want me because I have no money. -.-

[hide=]

Please (and no I do not mean to be a jerk), tell me how debating religion is an oxymoron?[/hide]

And I know that many people have gotten mad at me for debating Christianity on the sole fact that I say "god does not exist". I think a lot of Christians (at least the ones I have spoken with including my family) put up the wall when I say that one little phrase. Debating religion goes on a two way street. Perhaps I get offended when you say, that because I don't believe in god or recognize that jesus is my savior, I'm going to hell and that I "need to be saved". In all honesty, that does offend me, but I'll put it aside to have a debate about it. I think that some of the believers need to settle down a bit and realize that some people don't believe in it and we're not going to walk on glass for those that do.

join the club, range... I think a number of us are going to hell here... some of us are even there already. :twisted:

join the club, range... I think a number of us are going to hell here... some of us are even there already. :twisted:

Haha, yeah. Look at the amazing entertainment we'll have: George Carlin, Bill Hicks, and almost every musician in the history of rock 'n' roll. Man, screw heaven!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

So do you think something should be banned if you don't like it? Are we going to ban the people in MM&T who say "rap is stupid", too? It just so happens that some people, for whatever reason, think those things. Hell, I might cringe everytime I see a completely incoherent post from someone saying "God sucks, lol" or "rap is stupid", etc. I'm sorry, but I'm really not the kind of person who wants to dictate censorship of opinions because I personally don't like them, especially not when there are a million forums out there and people can choose the crowd they're with.