Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

If you powertrain combat you don't get slayer levels =/ It may not be super fast XP or Cash but when you factor in that you're getting extra XP in another skill it becomes overall more efficient.

I guess if you're a pure or have no desire to max out then you can power level, but you're missing out.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look like this argument is going to get anywhere, but I'm just gonna post my own opinion here.

Exp: I won't try to argue that slayer is going to beat zombie monkeys in exp for the fact the combat boost results from black mask and salve amulet evens to be the same, the only difference being the time to run to task spot results in zombie monkeys obviously winning in melee exp rate.

Charms: I'm not exactly sure why people have this mentality that only crims should be used for summoning. No doubt it's the most abundant charm is terms of exp/h, but greens and blues aren't that bad either, same with gold (which has low gp/exp rates).

Efficiency: To find an approximate profit/hr for slayer is going to be incredibly hard, in addition to those money worthy drops like whips, d boots and the variety of tasks, you can reap in a lot of small money from coin drops, herbs, alching small drops, all those not so significant money can still accumulate to a high value of profit.

Same thing with the exp/hr. You can get a few combat exp in not just melee, range and summoning exp here and there with slayer (cannon, melee, charm drops in summoning) and it always varies, then you have to count the cashflow in and out from all that, which adds up to be a very complicated process, hence makes your figures hardly ever convincing to the arguing party on the other side. I doubt even the number 1 slayer can give you a nice figure on the average exp/hr for combat/range/summoning exp seperately per hour.

[hide=]I am a Fan of slayer, I'm not going to judge whether it rocks or blows, but I set my reasons for training it clear from the start and stuck to it:

-I was aiming for 2376 total eventually.

-I needed money to train money-draining skills (construction/prayer/crafting etc).

-I feel that summoning training through rocks lobs is too expensive and troublesome for my playing habits as well as considering 2nd point.

-I needed a way to train range for max combat (for reasons see point below).

-I hate repetitive monster killing (which rules out camping as my preference for combat training)

-I hate semi-afking playing RS (no point playing a game if you play it to afk?)

-I was sick of being a burden to my high slayer friends in getting kc for sara gwd.

-I wanted a way to train combat that conviniently lets me do herb runs for farming without too much trouble.

-Slayer is one of the 24 99s for 2376.

All those reasons point me to training slayer, though I wasn't too concerned about profit, I underestimated it based from numbers because I left out the small drops over the months which then accumulated to large pool of gp in addition to my slayer drops.

I won't deny it took such a long time, but I fulfilled all my goals/reasons in point form above on the day I got 99 slayer and summ at the same time, also providing me the most fun I've had in my rs career before I retired.[/hide]

If you read the hide tab, the point I was trying to get across is that many people can train skills for many different reasons, including even personal preferences. There is no exact "best" way to train a skill, and there is so many ways to train. I chose slayer for my reasons, you chose zombie monkeys for your reasons, both sides don't really have a right to point out "Hey, you doing it the wrong way".. "my way is better than yours because of xxx!".

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

I guess, but zombie monkies are far faster XP - your using a Salve ammy, with higher bonuses then a mask, and your constantly in combat with high HP\low defense monsters, with a summon helping you. So in reality, unless you value slayer XP very, very highly (despite it being worthless except for total levels\respected cape at the end), zombie monkies ARE better, plain and simple. If slayer is funner, do it. Then its better for you. But don't go saying it's the best way to train combat.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I guess, but zombie monkies are far faster XP - your using a Salve ammy, with higher bonuses then a mask, and your constantly in combat with high HP\low defense monsters, with a summon helping you. So in reality, unless you value slayer XP very, very highly (despite it being worthless except for total levels\respected cape at the end), zombie monkies ARE better, plain and simple. If slayer is funner, do it. Then its better for you. But don't go saying it's the best way to train combat.

*Insert stupid numbers*

Do you play this game because you enjoy it, or to level up as fast as you can?

If you value fast levels above enjoying a game, then do your zombie monkeys. All you do in this thread is repeating why YOU don't want to train slayer. That's fine, don't train it then. Just stop trying to convince people that slayer is bad. There really is no more discussion value in this thread. Some people like it, some don't. Live with it.

So in reality, unless you value slayer XP very, very highly (despite it being worthless except for total levels\respected cape at the end), zombie monkies ARE better, plain and simple.

Slayer is just as worthless as any other skill in this game. It's a game, people can do whatever they want. Have you calculated how much time it will take getting slayer to 99 after doing zombie monkeys to get 99 melee stats?

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

Some of us don't enjoy slaughtering defenseless level 50 monsters endlessly. So we'd rather level up fast, then use those high combat skills for something challenging and fun, like PVP or boss hunting. If you like to kill random monsters, be my guest - but don't go calling it the 'best way' when it is far, far slower just because YOU think it is fun.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

*Insert stupid numbers*

Do you play this game because you enjoy it, or to level up as fast as you can?

That's a very slim argument when we're here talking efficiency. Slayer isn't the best exp, nor the best money. And you're argument against that is "Omg exp isn't the only thing in the world!". That's off-subject. And, not everyone enjoys slayer.

People keep saying "Slayer is great, you get drops, exp and you get slayer lvls!". You will get exp and drop from just about any monster, nothing special in that. And slayer lvls aren't useful anymore with the low price of whips/dbows/dboots.

2480+ total

I prefer Slayer over other forms of combat as it has a good amount of charms and I don't get bored of it while when I camp a certain monster I'm usually bored after the first hour or two.

Other than that it's down to personal preference, your opinion is it sucks. Mine is that it's a great skill.

Play the game for enjoyment, not quick exp. If you enjoy dead monkeys then fine, but if you sit at monkeys all day due to their speed while you don't enjoy it then you're not really playing a game are you :|

Slayer is fun to train - you get drops, exp, kill tons of different monsters, get tons of charms, and you train without concentrating on that level so it makes it go by a lot faster.

Zombie monkies is switching to another screen to read forums - it's not fun. you don't get drops (which is fun), you don't get charms (which is a bonus), and you're focusing on training a single skill, which makes it slower.

We all play the game for fun. Slayer is fun, afk zombie monkies isn't.

Get over yourself, because 133 combat which 76 slayer is just disgusting. Also, you gave up on the skill before getting to the meat of it.

And, seriously, if you just don't like it, then just don't do it. Why did you have to go on that huge rampage when it's not like you're being forced to do it?

redbullsigortiz.jpg

Hmm, some here that like slayer seems to be under the impression that it is necessary to max out in Runescape. Erm, no. Honestly, slayer isn't the only way to train combat.

If anyone's opinion is that you HAVE to have a high slayer in relation to combat, than I say their opinion is blatantly narrow-minded, and it destroys any and all crediblity they have in my mind.

Compfreak, you are slightly over-reacting about this, if it is just a SUGGESTION that they train combat via slayer, let it be. If they say slayer is the best way to train combat, then have a cow.

Fun is relative. Slayer isn't fun for everyone.

Slayer is fun to train - you get drops, exp, kill tons of different monsters, get tons of charms, and you train without concentrating on that level so it makes it go by a lot faster.

Zombie monkies is switching to another screen to read forums - it's not fun. you don't get drops (which is fun), you don't get charms (which is a bonus), and you're focusing on training a single skill, which makes it slower.

We all play the game for fun. Slayer is fun, afk zombie monkies isn't.

Get over yourself, because 133 combat which 76 slayer is just disgusting. Also, you gave up on the skill before getting to the meat of it.

And, seriously, if you just don't like it, then just don't do it. Why did you have to go on that huge rampage when it's not like you're being forced to do it?

Simple answer - I got tired of being told that slayer was the 'best' way to train combat, and decided to get into an argument about it :P

I don't particularly enjoy killing weak, low level monsters, but I love PVP and boss fighting. So I decided to get high melee stats fast, and do the things I enjoy instead of killing several hundred thousand level 50 monsters.

DeviledEgg24.png

Slayer's a great way to train. You never really get bored, and you basically get free total levels. I know this is going to read as an insult, but to see someone with your stats. Almost all 99 melees with 76 slayer, it really disgusts me.

1: Slayer is not boring? I have gotten bored alot of times....

Also, aggressive monsters let's you watch a movie,read forums, read news or do whatever you wish to do. How is it boring to watch a good movie???

2: To say that someone with 99 melees should have higher slayer disgusts me. Why? Slayer is a cash earning skill, i will repeat it: Slayer were made to earn cash. Though i bet it has great uses for people with ADHD?

So here's the fact:

- Unless you wanna earn cash slayer is good

- You get also a black cape

- Slayer is bad experience

So, i a player who earn most cash at GWD do not need slayer unless i want extra cash.

Free total levels?

How is going from task to task a good thing? Instead you could camp and get constantly and frequently experience from any monster.

Beware of Long Post.

XPwise, slayer is a nightmare. At near maxed stats, you are lucky to get 50K xp\hour. I used to train slayer, but I started to get fed up with it after the new release. I'm on my 49th task, and I should get 50th just so I can buy runes and make a bit of money, but I can't stomach it any more. My tasks went something like: Iron dragons, for the 1000th time, (skip, 41 points left), 60 steel dragons (skip, 11 points left), Mithril Dragons (Can't skip, 11 points left). I spent way too much time trying to kill mith dragons before realizing that it really wasn't worth it.

XP per hour with slayer: 50k

XP per hour with Zombie Monkies: 110k

Throughout the thread you mention the experience rates for Zombie Monkies and Slayer. While I don't know anything on the Monkies, i'll stick to the rate you say - 110k melee xp/h. However, a vital flaw in what you have posted is how low the melee xp/h is with via Slayer. Many of the tasks received from Duradel (while not faster than Zombie Monkies) do give alot more melee xp/h than you say. One specific task I want to mention is Dust Devils. With the Slayer Helmet, on their low defence, the rate of experience is incredibly high. It is quite possible to get over 100k melee xp/h at the Dust Devils in the Chaos tunnels, even without a familiar (so much for 50k if your lucky ::' ). It may even be possible to get a higher rate with a Steel Titan. They drop a reasonable amount of charms at a ratio of sum:slay xp is 0.75:1 or so. They also have ok drops (Earth Battlestaff - 9.3k alch, Red d'hide Vambs, Rune Daggers, etc).

On almost every task from duradel, it is possible to get 20k+ slayer xp/h, which is 80k melee xp/h. Admitably I only gave one task as an example, it would be worth the time to explain each one. While in some cases a cannon is used, in those instances the slayer xp/h is usually over 30k anyway. So by saying that Slayer is bad is only based on the pitiful rate you have given, when it in fact averages out much higher (though still less than Zombie Monkies).

Yeah. But slayer earns money, you say? Zombies cost too much, you say?

Slayer is LUCKY to earn 50k per hour before level 80 (I can't vouch for after 83, but from what I hear it really doesn't pick up a whole lot). A few tasks make a little money, but most tasks I consider myself lucky to break even. Subtract prayer pots\armor repair\Summoning pouches\scrolls\super set costs, and your left with a pittance.Zombie monkies, with my invo and outfit, costs 5 prayer pots per hour, + 1.5 pure sets.

XP per hour with slayer: 50k, Profit per hour: 50k

XP per hour with monkies: 110k, Profit per hour: (-40k)

1 hour at Zombie Monkies = 110k xp

2 hours at slayer = (If your lucky) 110k xp

You turn out 100k (profit from slayer) + 40k (loss from monkies) = 140k ahead with slayer. Hopefully most of us can make more then that in 1 hour.

Again, you seem to purposely drop the rates lower than they are to make your point more valid. While on some tasks, the profit may not be high, you will never lose money. Excluding drops completely simply completing a task from Duradel over time gains an average of 24 points per task (due to the 75 point bonus and 225 point). This is the equivalent of 0.69 Slayer dart sets (250 casts), which works out to about 61k made per slayer task without drops. This immediately shows that your rate is far below what it should be (you may argue that your rate is for per hour and that mine is per task, nearly every single task can be done within an hour, some in as little as 6 minutes). Factoring in costs of supplies and received from drops is hard to calculate with extensive testing.

Ah, but slayer is easier, right? No, zombie monkies is standing there clicking a prayer pot every couple of minutes, and running a few squares away and back so that the monkies are aggressive again. You can literally read a book and turn your attention to RS for a few seconds every couple of minutes. Slayer means constantly running around and attacking monsters, or piety switching if you want to train prayer.

Danger: Slayer is fairly dangerous; I've lost several dozen million to it, quite a bit from metal dragons. Not paying attention and letting your prayer run out can result in nasty things happening to you.

Zombie monkies, on the other hand, and incredibly safe. Your prayer drains very slowly, and in the off chance that it runs out, the monkies hit very slowly. If you do manage to die, you lose proslyte and not much else. Not that it matters; your grave is less then a minute away from any bank with Ape Atoll tele.

What you say here is almost entirely irrelevant. You say dieing at Monkies is nothing to worry about as the loss is minimal and the grave is takes about a minute to get back to. This is you being biased towards one method as it easily possible to get back to any grave if you die during slayer within the alloted time. So as for safer? The point isn't really relevant. Simply pay attention and you can never die in either place.

You also mention that Monkies is simply standing in the one spot and the xp comes in, and for slayer you need to run around and piety switching. This can't really be debated as it comes down to how each person likes to train. Personally I never liked the idea of simply moving to one spot, and simply waiting. To me it is boring and the faster experience isn't worth the loss of fun. But again, this point can't be debated.

Slayer is 'fun' - I can't really argue against this one; everyone's idea of fun varies. I do zombie monkies during times I can't pay much attention or don't really feel like playing; when I 'play' runescape, I do whatever I find fun, usually PVP games like CW\Fight Pits, or else get some real training done with chinchompas and whatnot. If, for you, the funnest thing in the game is killing various monsters, you could just as well train at monkies during downtime, and kill random monsters not on task when 'playing'. You'd still end up ahead of just slayer, although if you want to train the best would be to kill monkies steadily. Like I said, opinions of 'fun' vary.

This point ties into what I just said above, cannot be debated as it comes down to each person seperately.

The last argument I hear is that if some new item comes out with a high slayer requirement, you can make a lot of money. Which is sort of true, but not a viable argument. Whips were one exception; no one had the slayer level when they came out, and the first people to 85 slayer made a massive amount of money. Dark bows did OK, but few people really had a good strategy for killing dark beasts, the bows were rare, and they dropped like a rock. Put the letters two, eight, and seven in the first three digits of your reply to prove you actually read what I typed. Dragon boots had the same problem, and dropped very quickly, but they remained a decent money maker until recently. However, those perks for the first day or two that items come out will never come close to making up for the fact that you were earning 50k an hour for all those hundreds of hours of training - you could have made more money then you would ever spend by doing something other then slayer for the time.

Not sure what to say here. While if a new Slayer monster comes out with a new sought after item, of course you'll make money. However, alot of people already have high Slayer so there will be alot of the new items being dropped soon enough making the price eventually drop, same as every other item in game. Even still, during that time you will make alot of money. When Dragon boots came out my friend sold them for millions each, even now they are only worth around 280k, but still a nice bonus.

Slayer is downright horrible for training range. I can earn 65k XP an hour right now at level 50 spiders while clicking on my range potion once every 7 minutes, at a minuscule cost. When I have time and feel like doing something, I can get 220k XP\hour at Ape Atoll for 450k an hour with grey chinchompas. With slayer, I can get 30k XP\hour, getting lucky to break even when using decent ammo so my XP rates are acceptable. Meaning that I get 7.3x the XP at chinchompas, for a cost of 450k an hour more. So, I would be spending an extra 6.3 hours to save 450k - 71k an hour. I can find a few ways of making more then 71k an hour, thank you very much. At level 50 spiders, I'm losing 20k an hour to get 65k XP, vs 30k XP for free with slayer. I can make more then 9k per hour, so I like spiders better. Besides that, I can do spiders while paying virtually no attention whatsoever.

Depending on the task you range on, the money earned varies considerably. One of the best compromises in this case is with Nechryael tasks to kill them with chinchompa's, gaining up to 300k Range xp/h while also gaining Slayer experience. Although of course, the task won't last an hour, doing this for every task of Nechryaels will add up. As for being downright horrible for training range, i'll address that in my final paragraph.

Training magic using combat, in any way, unless your bursting rock lobsters, is a bad idea. No need to argue that point.

I agree here ::' . Except for maybe for the people who choose to mage Iron/Steel Dragons, that is a viable option.

In short, slayer is bad for any form of training. The only possible way slayer would be a good thing would be if you really enjoy the skill, and are willing to sacrifice huge amounts of XP and GP just so you have variety in training.

I'm welcome to any opinions against this, and I'm sure there will be plenty. But don't post any arguments of the following kind, which I have already covered:

• 'Slayer is better XP then you say, because I get X xp with Y task' No. Slayer is 50k melee XP at the most, and 30k range XP if you are lucky. With banking time and the time spent getting tasks, the XP rates go down dramatically. And for every 'good' tasks, there is several bad ones.

'Slayer is easier\less clicking\requires less attention and is less dangerous then X method of training' No. I already covered that. Zombie monkies for melee and giant spiders for range, the two methods I use in comparison, require a couple of clicks per minute at the most, and both have virtually no risk. Slayer, on the other hand, requires constant attention for most tasks, and some tasks carry a significant risk.

'Slayer is funner' Fair enough, if you find it fun then that's that. However, read my section on 'slayer is fun'.

This is the worst thing about the post. It defies any sort of logic that might come into play. What you ave done is said "Slayer is bad for these reasons. I'm welcome to opinions against this. But don't argue against anything I have covered". You say Slayer is bad for those reasons, we are trying to show how you have miscalculated, have gotten something wrong, or have missed something. You can't tell someone not to argue against something simply because you believe the most amount of experience per hour is a certain amount and that is being lucky. It is easily possible to on every single task on Duradels list (except for Mithril Dragons, and maybe Steel), to get over 50k melee experience per hour. I do not know how you train, but I average over 20k Slayer xp/h. You mention banking times slow you down considerably, while they may slow you down, it is anything but dramatic. Finishing a task, getting a new task, swapping gear and heading to the next place can almost always be done in under 3 minutes.

I'm not sure where the significant risk in doing Slayer is. The most dangerous place During Slayer I can think of is Scabarites, and yet they are the equivalent of up to 60k Slayer xp/h. Risk vs Reward I guess ::' . Even then however, the danger is minimal as long as you pay attention.

In short, saying 'slayer is the best way to train combat' is a horribly wrong statement. A correct version would be 'slayer is a slow and unprofitable way to train combat, but if you enjoy the skill it is worth training. Just know that you will be losing out on a large amount of XP and GP.' I have nothing against slayer, but I get tired of people saying that it is the best way to train combat...

Now for the last section. It comes down to how you define "best". From what you have been arguing it is about efficiency. That is more efficient to train elsewhere for faster xp and lose money, and use the spare time to make up the money and exceed that of the other method. It cannot be compared without extensive testing, as you need to know the exact profit per hour gained by doing Slayer. It would have to be calculated over an extremely large amount of experience, the same method used consistently for every monster, and work out an average profit. All I can say is that your rates are far below what is capable.

Finally, I would say that it is more efficient to do slayer compared to Monkies for the time being. By attaining 99 Slayer, you will get 99 in Attack, Strength, Defence, Hitpoints, Range, and also gain into the high 90s in Summoning. So technically by working on the one skill, you have attained the max level in six different skills and almost a seventh. So by saying that training Range during Slayer is bad, it isn't. Using a Cannon, and maybe even Ranging a few tasks, you will still get 99 also. Also one vital flaw throughout the entire post, you are forgetting that you receive Slayer experience while getting the high melee experience rates:

Monkies - 110k Melee xp/h

Slayer - 20k+ Slayer xp per hour 80k+ Melee xp/h = 100k xp/h

Technically training at the same rate, although Slayer is faster as that is the lower average. However, some of the experience is spread over another skill.

ydrasil.png

To the above post. Tl;dr... or, I read half, skimmed half. He is saying that he is averaging out the xp rates, which is the true xp/money rate.

What I was trying to say was that his averages are too low. Unless you only get 12.5k slayer xp per hour meleeing, the experience rates are far higher than what compfreak847 gave. As for the money, that is extremely hard to calculate and even so I believe the rate provided was too low.

ydrasil.png

It depends on what you like. I completely agree that it is not the fastes xp out there; your point about zombie monkeys being much better xp is completely valid.

However, Because of the slayer mask bonus, training slayer is DECENT melee xp.

I also do not agree with the 50k per hour. I have managed up to 70k with a task such as dusties, and my melee stats are not all that good.

I personally like the total level gain as well. It can also be very good profit, getting to a high level can make you tons of cash :)

And for people like me who dont want to pointlessly grind away levels at monkeys, it makes perfect sense.

Basically training slayer for my combat levels helps keep the game fun for me :)

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I don't think parking at zombie monkeys, opening up another screen and watching family guy is worth anything.

noooo you found my secret to training agility (true actually, i practiced the exact locations to click)

on topic: i do agree that slayer isn't the BEST combat exp, but one argument you missed out for it is the charms (if zombie monkeys do drop nice charms then i apologise, but they way you phrased your argument of no attention implies not). also, i personally find it fun, and i think dark beasts are quite nice to semi-afk (just checking every minute or two for bows, prayer and charms) - plus 83 slayer can have a benificial effect when you are getting killcount for gwd, especially sara. also, while this has been mentioned, training your slayer up does earn some respect. as another point, i have a maxed melee friend who after maxing decided to train slayer (to 99), thus leaving him with 73m attack exp (also he is bad at making money, to my knowledge he camped abyssal demons because of the fact that it makes money and trains combat, as he is bad at boss monsters). Finally, i can average 20-25k slayer exp per hour at slight profit, i fail to see how that is BAD exp.

edit: i dislike the concept of having to add 287 or such like, but there it is anyway, i just forgot about it

Chapp3rs.png

I don't think parking at zombie monkeys, opening up another screen and watching family guy is worth anything.

Any skill in runescape can be afk'd. Remember how I got 99 runecrafting and how I did 95-99 rc through the abyss? Well I managed to watch all 7 seasons of The Sopranos, the first (and only season at the time) of Heroes AND the first season of Prison Break. Also, I watched tons of Family Guy while getting 85 mining. Caught up with Bleach & Naruto while getting 99 range via chinchies. Watched season 3 of 24 while doing barrows. Done tons of my homework while fishing for sharks. I watched 2 seasons of Ikkitousen while alching yew longs. Finally, I watched many hours of many different anime whilst I worked on slayer. That's right, slayer is afk-able as well and if you ask me, it's pretty damn easy to afk.

Honestly I don't think it's a bad thing for a skill to be afk-able. It shows you can multitask (just like girls ::' ) and in many cases it can be pretty impressive if you're doing a skill like rcing.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Any skill in runescape can be afk'd. Remember how I got 99 runecrafting and how I did 95-99 rc through the abyss? Well I managed to watch all 7 seasons of The Sopranos, the first (and only season at the time) of Heroes AND the first season of Prison Break. Also, I watched tons of Family Guy while getting 85 mining. Caught up with Bleach & Naruto while getting 99 range via chinchies. Watched season 3 of 24 while doing barrows. Done tons of my homework while fishing for sharks. I watched 2 seasons of Ikkitousen while alching yew longs. Finally, I watched many hours of many different anime whilst I worked on slayer. That's right, slayer is afk-able as well and if you ask me, it's pretty damn easy to afk.

Honestly I don't think it's a bad thing for a skill to be afk-able. It shows you can multitask (just like girls ::' ) and in many cases it can be pretty impressive if you're doing a skill like rcing.

Or... Get an autoer...

I think slayer is fun with the black mask I enjoy hitting 30s it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside (not really)...

Luck be a Lady

To the above post. Tl;dr... or, I read half, skimmed half. He is saying that he is averaging out the xp rates, which is the true xp/money rate.

Very true. I won't bother quoting his whole post, but much like he said about me, his numbers were very, very far off. First of all, I doubt 100k XP per hour at Dust Devils is possible with your stats. With piety, salve ammy (e), the best equip and invo, 95 attack\98 strength, I don't get 100k melee XP. My Geyser Titan gets me 12-14k XP, totaling about 110k, but I'm getting less then 100k melee XP myself. And that's under continuous attacking, no delays for clicking attack, no delays for picking up drops or alching, +20% boost from salve ammy (e), super setted every 5 minutes, and praying piety. And my averages WERE correct for slayer. I'm quite confident on that; it's not a point I'm willing to argue. I've observed it myself; it's been commonly accepted as an average; and Zarfot (who's numbers I respect) agrees. Picking out one particularly good task as the 'average slayer XP' is a terrible idea, and completely invalidates your argument.

DeviledEgg24.png

I think an important factor some people on both sides of the debate miss is fun.

If you find playing RuneScape fun, and training a particular way to match your goals as fun, then what others say shouldn't weigh much on your mind. Why would anyone train other skills when they can train combat stats and go to GWD? Or if they want a more consistant method, just focus on getting 91 RC? It's because the goals of each and every player differs between them.

If someone asked me a good way to train combat, I would reply Slayer. This is because Slayer is my definition of decent combat training. If they wanted more melee exp than slayer usually gives, I can try to suggest another area, if they want. I'm content with losing some potential exp from monkey camping and money off boss fighting in place of exp in both melee and slayer. As I see skill total as just fun, I want slayer levels to help that total. I get a good amount of charms through slayer. While I actively acknowledge that I can try my luck as GWD and spend that money on bursting lobsters, I'm not interested in doing that. I like it when I can use one skill to help level another.

People can make level 3 skillers and just work on non-combat skills. Are they potentially making less money than they could on their main? Maybe. Does it ultimately matter more that they are using the best training method over what they want to do (within rules)? I don't think so.

If you want to train melee *only*, then monkeys could work better for you.

If you want more variety in monsters and drops, then try Slayer.

If you want to train range, GWD for money and spend it on chins, cannon daggs, or just train it during slayer. It's up to the player.

dullvw0.jpg

I think an important factor some people on both sides of the debate miss is fun.

If you find playing RuneScape fun, and training a particular way to match your goals as fun, then what others say shouldn't weigh much on your mind. Why would anyone train other skills when they can train combat stats and go to GWD? Or if they want a more consistant method, just focus on getting 91 RC? It's because the goals of each and every player differs between them.

If someone asked me a good way to train combat, I would reply Slayer. This is because Slayer is my definition of decent combat training. If they wanted more melee exp than slayer usually gives, I can try to suggest another area, if they want. I'm content with losing some potential exp from monkey camping and money off boss fighting in place of exp in both melee and slayer. As I see skill total as just fun, I want slayer levels to help that total. I get a good amount of charms through slayer. While I actively acknowledge that I can try my luck as GWD and spend that money on bursting lobsters, I'm not interested in doing that. I like it when I can use one skill to help level another.

People can make level 3 skillers and just work on non-combat skills. Are they potentially making less money than they could on their main? Maybe. Does it ultimately matter more that they are using the best training method over what they want to do (within rules)? I don't think so.

If you want to train melee *only*, then monkeys could work better for you.

If you want more variety in monsters and drops, then try Slayer.

If you want to train range, GWD for money and spend it on chins, cannon daggs, or just train it during slayer. It's up to the player.

Thank you for repeating a significant portion of my posts in a condensed form. I already covered this; if you find it fun, then it is the best way for YOU. But not necessarily for everyone else; in fact, by most people definition, the 'best' way to train combat is the fastest. I personally think that fighting in PVP is the 'best' way to train combat, but you won't find many people agreeing with me.

DeviledEgg24.png

Very true. I won't bother quoting his whole post, but much like he said about me, his numbers were very, very far off. First of all, I doubt 100k XP per hour at Dust Devils is possible with your stats. With piety, salve ammy (e), the best equip and invo, 95 attack\98 strength, I don't get 100k melee XP. My Geyser Titan gets me 12-14k XP, totaling about 110k, but I'm getting less then 100k melee XP myself. And that's under continuous attacking, no delays for clicking attack, no delays for picking up drops or alching, +20% boost from salve ammy (e), super setted every 5 minutes, and praying piety. And my averages WERE correct for slayer. I'm quite confident on that; it's not a point I'm willing to argue. I've observed it myself; it's been commonly accepted as an average; and Zarfot (who's numbers I respect) agrees. Picking out one particularly good task as the 'average slayer XP' is a terrible idea, and completely invalidates your argument.

You obviously misread my post then. My numbers are from personal experience, and they are not far off at all. I admit my stats are not 99 99 99, but they are close at 94 94 94. I use superhuman strength prayer on every slayer task except a few, and on those few I use piety. If you're use a salve ammy (e) for them, that is your first problem. Super setting every 5 minutes is too excessive also, and while it would increase experience per hour, it isn't quite worth it at that rate. Simply saying your averages are correct, doesn't make it so either. What is even more hypocritical is you saying that you respect and agree for Zarfot's numbers. His numbers are higher than yours also at 70k+ melee xp/h on average. Again you misread my post: "Picking out one particularly good task as the 'average slayer XP' is a terrible idea, and completely invalidates your argument." I never said that was the average experience. I never expect to get 100k melee xp/h on every Slayer task, it would be foolish to think so, or for you to say I do. As for the last tiny bit, that is so stupid. Seeing as you misinterpretted what I said (purposely or accidentally, doesn't matter), and because you misunderstood, everything else I said is immediately wrong? Not everything I posted about was specifically the melee xp/h rate. Could you actually read all of my post first before you disregard the rest because you misunderstood?

ydrasil.png

You obviously misread my post then. My numbers are from personal experience, and they are not far off at all. I admit my stats are not 99 99 99, but they are close at 94 94 94. I use superhuman strength prayer on every slayer task except a few, and on those few I use piety. If you're use a salve ammy (e) for them, that is your first problem. Super setting every 5 minutes is too excessive also, and while it would increase experience per hour, it isn't quite worth it at that rate. Simply saying your averages are correct, doesn't make it so either. What is even more hypocritical is you saying that you respect and agree for Zarfot's numbers. His numbers are higher than yours also at 70k+ melee xp/h on average. Again you misread my post: "Picking out one particularly good task as the 'average slayer XP' is a terrible idea, and completely invalidates your argument." I never said that was the average experience. I never expect to get 100k melee xp/h on every Slayer task, it would be foolish to think so, or for you to say I do. As for the last tiny bit, that is so stupid. Seeing as you misinterpretted what I said (purposely or accidentally, doesn't matter), and because you misunderstood, everything else I said is immediately wrong? Not everything I posted about was specifically the melee xp/h rate. Could you actually read all of my post first before you disregard the rest because you misunderstood?

I'm not going to argue the validity of my XP and profit values; I am quite confident they are correct. Your entire argument against mine was completely based on those two values; if they are what I claim, I am correct; if they are what you claim, you are correct. You will notice that, according to Zarfot, the average player will earn 12.5k slayer XP per hour, equivocating to 50k melee XP. Sure, if you are maxed combat and know what you are doing, you may be able to get slightly higher then that, but not much over a long period of time. I'm not sure what you meant about the salve ammy (e); perhaps you could suggest a better amulet to use at Zombies? I was also using the super setting every 5 minutes etc. to emphasize that I was doing everything possible to maximize my melee experience, which leads me to greatly question your claim of 'over 100k XP per hour at dust devils', when I could not get that much with better equipment, prayers, stats, pots, and direct combat over a period of several hours.

DeviledEgg24.png

I'm not going to argue the validity of my XP and profit values; I am quite confident they are correct. Your entire argument against mine was completely based on those two values; if they are what I claim, I am correct; if they are what you claim, you are correct. You will notice that, according to Zarfot, the average player will earn 12.5k slayer XP per hour, equivocating to 50k melee XP. Sure, if you are maxed combat and know what you are doing, you may be able to get slightly higher then that, but not much over a long period of time. I'm not sure what you meant about the salve ammy (e); perhaps you could suggest a better amulet to use at Zombies? I was also using the super setting every 5 minutes etc. to emphasize that I was doing everything possible to maximize my melee experience, which leads me to greatly question your claim of 'over 100k XP per hour at dust devils', when I could not get that much with better equipment, prayers, stats, pots, and direct combat over a period of several hours.

I apologise about where you mentioned the salve ammy (e). In the context of where you said it, I had thought you were referring to Dust Devils still. Yet you say this was of the Zombie Monkies.... then you admit to have based your results on wrong rates. You said with all those bonuses, you don't get 100k melee xp/h at Monkies, yet all of your calculations and assumptions where based upon a 120k xp/h rate.

I read through the entire guide again yesterday to make sure of what I was saying, I read through it again today. Nowhere did I see him say that the average play will only get 12.5k Slayer xp/h. I do however see that he says using these strategies you can average over 20k Slayer xp/h, I also came across this:

70kslayerzarfot.png

I am not maxed combat, but I do know what I am doing and I get more than "slightly" higher than 12.5k Slayer xp/h on average. That is based over a variety of tasks also, from Black Dragons, Skeletal Wyverns (among the slowest) up to Scabarites (2nd fastest task in game). The reason why you can get this much experience at Dust Devils is due to their low defence and reasonably high hitpoints. This is especially apparent when you use the Slayer Helmet. Zarfot even claims that with a Geyser Titan he was able to get a bit over 30k Slayer Xp per hour. Without he said he was able to get up to 28.3k xp/h from solely meleeing.

100kdustdevilzarfot.png

Now while tasks do not have enough assigned to last an hour, that is still the experience rate during the task. It is even possible to get say 134+ Dust Devils twice in a row. These 2 tasks combine last about an hour and will get you 28.3k Slayer xp/h equalling 113.2k melee xp/h. So yes, it is possible. Personally, I believe the "best" way to train is not necessarily the fastest way, but most efficient.

ydrasil.png

People keep saying "Slayer is great, you get drops, exp and you get slayer lvls!". You will get exp and drop from just about any monster, nothing special in that. And slayer lvls aren't useful anymore with the low price of whips/dbows/dboots.

Sure prices are fairly low, but still I accumulated a decent amount of such drops worth about 30m+ total when I did 83-99 Slayer plus around few m worth of coins and alchs.

Any skill in runescape can be afk'd. Remember how I got 99 runecrafting and how I did 95-99 rc through the abyss? Well I managed to watch ... Done ... while fishing for sharks. I watched 2 seasons of Ikkitousen while alching yew longs. Finally, I watched ... whilst I worked on slayer. That's right, slayer is afk-able as well and if you ask me, it's pretty damn easy to afk.

Not meant to criticise or anything, but I don't find the point of playing a game if you just want to.. well afk it.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.