Is there a point? Is there a reason to live or die?

No_99_Melee

People put so much mystical value on life and death, when in reality, death is no big deal at all.

In my opinion, there is no "reason" of sorts to life, other than to populate this planet to such an extent that killing people off will be the only way to stop the human race from going extinct.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42. (sorry, had to :thumbsup: )

But really, the point of life, to me, is to benefit the world as much as you can, even if you aren't remembered for it. Sort of like charity work. Though, most people just think meh, what's the point, one person, especially me, can't do anything. Well, if the entire 6 billion(?) people on Earth decided they could make a difference, hell, even half, then we COULD make a difference. We're all just too lazy. That being said, I realize there are some who are trying, and I commend them for that. I'll stop there, I hate preaching, and most of you have heard this all before.

Maybe I should just stick with 42 as the meaning of life...

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

From a depressing point of view: The reason we want to live so much is selfishness. Our main desire is joy, and happiness for ourselves. (I had the rest of an argument, calling us all selfish for not helping kids in Africa, but it was bound to fail)

As for the after you die thing, You're dead. It won't matter to you, you won't exist :lol: . Just enjoy our freak occurrence.

Yayyyyyy...

In short, No. In long, Noooooooooooooooooooo there isn't, and there's no point dwelling on it. Most people want to seek out happiness while they're alive. I'm not so sure about myself, though. Not that I'm seeking something else, but I've been increasingly entertaining the thought that it might be the opposite. Looking at how I am beyond the internet, XBL, etc. it seems like it.

I guess I'm getting off-topic, but I suppose in sort of a roundabout way (maybe) I'm trying to say that while many seek out happiness as the point of their existance, others see it a different way, so there's no definitive answer. Unless, of course, we're the lab creation of some advanced aliens, then we're for entertainment purposes.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

My answer to this question "why bother finding out, live your life as you wish and find out what happens in the end". People have spent their whole lives before trying to find the answer to that question and found nothing, only to have wasted their whole life.

I will live my life as I wish, I will believe in what I want and do what I want as long as the law allows me. In the end I will find out if I've made the right decision or not, I wont spend my life worrying about what is the right choice and what isn't.

From a depressing point of view: The reason we want to live so much is selfishness. Our main desire is joy, and happiness for ourselves. (I had the rest of an argument, calling us all selfish for not helping kids in Africa, but it was bound to fail)

But helping others is somewhat flawed in a way. If we all never had joy, only living to help others and if those others didn't get our joy but gave it to others, repeat repeat repeat, eventually you're going to reach the first person who started it. And if he doesn't accept happiness, then what now?

The point is being greedy IS not bad, to a certain extent. Without greed we wouldn't do anything. Without greed, we'll be UNDER animals for god's sake. Being honourable is a whole other thing.

But utlimately the point of life is like a MMO. You log on, play, do whatever you want within the rules and taboos, etc etc, and suddenly die with no extra lives. You just play for the most fun while you have. No one should ever seriously think about it, for the answer is that there isn't an answer.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The meaning of life is to wonder what the meaning of life is even though you'll never get an answer.

No but seriously, if you make life have meaning then who's going to stop you?

It's all a game and Earth is an arena. We were put on Earth along with many other species and now we're being watched by more intelligent gods/aliens to see which species can adapt and survive the longest.

In other words, we die, we lose

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

if we're gonna die, we might as well live it up now \'

Haha, like you are right now?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It's all a game and Earth is an arena. We were put on Earth along with many other species and now we're being watched by more intelligent gods/aliens to see which species can adapt and survive the longest.

In other words, we die, we lose

Killing spree?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Procreation.

Get off the computer and start [bleep]ing, damnit.

:lol:

Honestly, live your life! If you do something along the way that people will remember for years and years (hopefully something that's good) then you're doing fine.

However, this is NOT the way my life is going currently. -_-

Only about 1 out of every 10 human being gets remembered for the next 20-30 years. So I'd say its pretty much pointless for the rest of us to do something meaningful.

I'd advise everyone to make sure they live a happy life before they die.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Good old Nihilism.

It's very easy to ask "what's the point of everything?", and many people do. However it's not really worth the effort to try and figure it out, because there isn't a simple answer.

I have to agree, the only way to find out is to wait till we die and see if the afterlife is true.

At Rebdragon: :lol:

I believe in an afterlife, I won't force my beliefs on anyone, but human's natural curiosity dictates that we have to be made for a reason, even if such a reason doesn't exist. Our curiosity inspires these "reasons" not anything else.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Well first we shouldn't discount the possibility of an afterlife. But it sounds like you already have, so let's talk about the point if there is none. Look at it this way. Whether or not you think there's a grand point to living, you'd do anything to live another day. And that's what's important. Consciousness is the greatest gift imaginable. The ability to perceive, to feel, to enjoy. Think about the happiest moments of your life. That's the point of life if you ask me.

When you get to the end of the rope, to be able to look back fondly and be glad you made the most of your time here. To know you effected other people, somehow contributed to culture. Not only enjoyed your life but touched the lives of others. Who cares that relative to the amount of time that has passed or will pass this feels insignificant? That's all relative. We've been given the gift of almost a century of life, so enjoy it and don't worry about a larger purpose. You're in it right now. Have some fun.

Who cares if you're remembered.

You'll be too dead too care about it.

The point of life is probaly to look back at end end and think you've had a good life.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

As corny as it sounds, life is what you make it. We've all got things that mean something to us in our lives. Family, friends, great memories and fun times, achievements, etc. These are the things I and many others strive for. These are the reason I have to keep on living (well, and my biological predisposition to, of course).

So despite the fact we may never find what "the" point is (if there is one) we can all have our own points - our own justifications - to keep on living.

Bleh, wondering about the meaning of life is wasting your life. Why am I here? What is my purpose? These may seem questions that make you look smart or philosophical or deep, but they don't. A better question would be: what am I doing with this life that's been given to me?

I agree with the corny message of warrior. Life's what you make of it. We all have our own reasons why we get up every morning, and I daresay they're all valid.

why do thousands of ants work every day digging holes for them to live in and collecting food for their queen to eat? their nest will eventually be drowned out with water, or some kid burning them with magnifying glasses, or a elephant standing on it, or something completely different.

in the long run their existence is isn't achieving anything more than some turned over soil, but they do it because thats what they do and have always done. somehow doing what they do makes them feel good, or makes some chemical produce in their brain as a reward for doing those good things for their queen.

we are the same. their is no real point to our existence that will last very long on the large scale (even if we do cause global warming or something whos going to care when where miliseconds before the next big bang?)

we evolved purely by coincidence. there could have been close to infinity other possible outcomes of our universe, and we just happened to be the one that did come out.

the meaning of life for everyone everywhere is to do whatever makes them happy.

that could be anything. if a terrorist decided it makes them feel good to nuke a nation and kill millions of innocent people, that's what they will most likely do, unless they are stopped by other people who feel good when they stop millions of people dieing.

in other words our point to life is what we and our upbringing make it, it is not one set thing, and it different for everyone.

The meaning of life is to faunicate and produce offspring, or in some way ensure the survival of the species. Either that, or it changes for every individual. Basically, do what you want, when you want.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

The meaning of life is to faunicate and produce offspring, or in some way ensure the survival of the species. Either that, or it changes for every individual. Basically, do what you want, when you want.

Fornicate

I'm seriously going to follow you around and correct your grammar. Mixed up letters are alright, but the wrong word is just unacceptable.