Is there a point? Is there a reason to live or die?

No_99_Melee

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meaning of life is to faunicate and produce offspring, or in some way ensure the survival of the species. Either that, or it changes for every individual. Basically, do what you want, when you want.

Fornicate

I'm seriously going to follow you around and correct your grammar. Mixed up letters are alright, but the wrong word is just unacceptable.

Poor Cyco :P

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

As Assassin said it sure beats being dead, doesn't it?

Only a zombie would know the answer to that rhetorical question...

:shock:

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Actually, I think our purpose is to ask these kinds of questions and discover the answers. We seem to be built in a way that absorbs information via our senses, communicates this information with others and connects new ideas with stuff we were told about or found on our own. We mess around with the data, form bundles around different concepts, link them up, throw away any information we know as false, and form massive webs of data. Face it, we're really complex data collecting machines!

Only problem I can see is the question 'Why do we need to find out all this information?'

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think a better question would be why does it need a point? Can't you just live to live? As Assassin said it sure beats being dead, doesn't it?

Not if you're emo. -.-

Reminds of me Ecclesiastes, what you said. "Life can be so bad that dying would be better." But then read the rest of the book, "enjoy life while you can."

That's probably the simple answer. The reason to live is to enjoy it. :?

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Woh :shock: some good responses here. But the one thing I have noticed what most/everyone was saying (not directly though)

Without religion were all here for no real reason (what the person said about ant's comes to mind) .

Anyway back to my point

Pretty much why do you exist?

Well I think I exist to try experience as many emotions as I can (but even atm that is very hard), but I know I won't be able to do one trillion of a trillionth of emotions I want to experience (even though I am only 17 atm)

howlin1eeveesig.png

The meaning of life is to faunicate and produce offspring, or in some way ensure the survival of the species. Either that, or it changes for every individual. Basically, do what you want, when you want.

Fornicate

I'm seriously going to follow you around and correct your grammar. Mixed up letters are alright, but the wrong word is just unacceptable.

Poor Cyco :P

I think i'll play the Chainsaw threat card, please. :twisted: And that's hardly a major spelling mistake.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

Whether or not there is a point, living seems a hell of a lot more fun than being dead to me.

It does, for a person lucky enough to be born in a western country to a caring family.

Say you were born in Cambodia/India, even worse if you were a woman.. Would you really want to life all your life in physical labour, no chance to effect what your life will be, raising 4 kids whose only purpose in life will just be doing more physical labour at $0.50 an hour, with absolutely no way to escape the life which will just consist of violence, poverty, crime?

Or maybe if you just were born into such a situation, you wouldn't even know what's a "good" life or what's a bad one, because yours is all you've ever known.

Just remember while saying that... There's millions of people who have never had a proper meal, seen a TV, had a home, a job, read words, even heard of things like the internet, or even had a friggin' toothbrush or clean clothes. After knowing/living life in a western country, I don't know if I could live as a street beggar amongst dirty streets and squalor in a poor country..

I don't despise those people in extreme poverty/poor countries, I genuinely feel sorry and would want to help them. There's no way to help all of them though..

Fornicate

That's not the wrong word, it's the Boston way to say it. Or New York.

In short, No. In long, Noooooooooooooooooooo there isn't

A quote from Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation, which is a quote taken from "The Vicar of Dibley." :P

Quite so. It's fun when people "get it."

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Woh :shock: some good responses here. But the one thing I have noticed what most/everyone was saying (not directly though)

Without religion were all here for no real reason (what the person said about ant's comes to mind) .

No objective reason, you're right. People can make up their subjective reasons for hanging around and seeing life as worthwhile. I think it's more empowering and meaningful than it just being the will of god because he said so. When it's personal, it's true to who you are.

The point of living is death. The point of dying is living.

What do you mean by the second one?

At first, nothing.

In retrospect, it could be the thing that wills us to live?

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

To play Runescape.

Really, I know the 'meaning' of life, in my opinion. But it's religous, but from a primal \ atheistic form of life - to procreate and survive.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

What's wrong with ants? Anything that can lift that [bleep]ing much is awesome.

[/point]

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

What's wrong with ants? Anything that can lift that [bleep]ing much is awesome.

[/point]

True.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

This question has been asked forever. It's THE question. And we will probably never know because noone has a lifespan of millions of years.

not unless you cryogenically freeze Walt Disney. -.-

depends on, not just relegion, but your beliefs also. i live to enjoy what i can, protect whom i want and (in a weeks time) to get totally smashed for the first time. but i do have goals i wanna set such as travel to Europe, run my own restraunt bar and quite possibly....err nevermind the last one. its a PG13 board. ::'

btw BlueLancer, is Canada realy that poorly economic famiy wise?

Popoto.~<3

The point of living is death. The point of dying is living.

What do you mean by the second one?

They say that when one is going to die they feel so alive in those seconds.

But thats my guess :s

I guess the Whole point is to live, if you don't like it then... quit. If never died then we would all suffer, but if we never lived there would be no suffering. If all of use break down our mentality into a single beign there would be no loneliness or pain, but then there would be no happiness or joy.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

No objective reason, you're right. People can make up their subjective reasons for hanging around and seeing life as worthwhile. I think it's more empowering and meaningful than it just being the will of god because he said so. When it's personal, it's true to who you are.

There is actually a single objective reason for all living organisms to exist, which is reproduction (or continued survival, same thing). Not that it serves any deeper 'purpose' (other than just repeat the cycle infinitely), but that's pretty objective since you don't get to choose. Animals don't get to choose either. They just do it because their nature dictates it to them.

Also in humans, anything else besides survival is just extra. Every person has his/her subjective view on what their purpose of life is (a divine being controlling them, raising kids, helping poor people, becoming famous/rich, nursing sick people/animals, punishing wrongdoes, assassinating a politician.. You choose)

There is actually a single objective reason for all living organisms to exist, which is reproduction (or continued survival, same thing). Not that it serves any deeper 'purpose' (other than just repeat the cycle infinitely), but that's pretty objective since you don't get to choose. Animals don't get to choose either. They just do it because their nature dictates it to them.

Also in humans, anything else besides survival is just extra. Every person has his/her subjective view on what their purpose of life is (a divine being controlling them, raising kids, helping poor people, becoming famous/rich, nursing sick people/animals, punishing wrongdoes, assassinating a politician.. You choose)

So you're saying that the purpose of our existence is to maintain our existence. That's too circular. Reproduction has a purpose to keep us existing, but we do not exist to reproduce.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

So you're saying that the purpose of our existence is to maintain our existence. That's too circular. Reproduction has a purpose to keep us existing, but we do not exist to reproduce.

Didn't say I agree with that at all, but that's an objective reason for our existence. Happiness, making art, playing games, helping poor people, is just subjective extra. Whether I or you like the idea, the only thing that constantly matters is staying alive.

To make an analogy... You have a computer, it doesn't matter which part of it people think is the most interesting/useful, such as graphics card, processor, hard-drive.. None of those things matters unless it has a working power source & cord.

Likewise, none of your life goals, memories, material possessions, actually matter if you can't be alive to enjoy them. So your ultimate reason of existence is staying alive. (There are exceptions though, like suicidal persons)

Hierarchy of life

9ftc12.png

There's tons of man-made purposes for life, but only one objective/neutral one..

Bluelancer, doesn't it seem more likely that surviving is merely a necessary condition for whatever the meaning of life is, and not an (objective) meaning of life itself?

Instead of saying that the ultimate reason of existence is existing (and being alive), I'd rather say it's just a logical implication.

This signature is intentionally left blank.