"No God" adverts to run on bendy buses in London

Dracion1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

Bendy-buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.

The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.

Is this good or bad? Personally I support this since I've always been an atheist and it's my opinion that religion only gets in the way, but I'm guessing some people would take offence to that. Anyway, discuss.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I couldn't care less, I have my opinion on religion but I wont force it upon other people, I just wish people in this world would operate on the same basis to save us a lot of deaths and sadness. If this isn't allowed though then I don't think religious posters claiming "God" is our lord, if we don't believe we will suffer for eternity etc etc should be allowed on public transport as it's essentially the same thing. That would just be biased then.

You failed to post the entire quote, which is "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life!"

It's a happy message saying you should try to enjoy your life more. If I was feeling down, seeing that on a bus would probably cheer me up a bit.

2009rb9.jpg

You failed to post the entire quote, which is "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life!"

It's a happy message saying you should try to enjoy your life more. If I was feeling down, seeing that on a bus would probably cheer me up a bit.

Same goes for me. But a lot of religious people will probably get offended. Not that I care by the way. Me likey.

The adverts weren't just put there to promote atheism, but also, as the news article pointed out, to get people to think about things. In his book 'The God Delusion', Dawkins talks extensively about changing perspective. For example, the changed perspective of nineteenth-century geology gave people a new view of the history of their world, not just the theory of evolution but also the dawn of civilization. It makes people think, and that's always a good thing. To be honest I find the statement calling atheism "a danger to the public at large" far harsher than the text on the bus.

If religious groups are allowed to advertise their beliefs, I see no reason why Atheists can't do the same.

It's called fairness, and I like it.

Yep. Although, if you tell an atheist that they still believe in something, they usually go off on a rail.

The adverts weren't just put there to promote atheism, but also, as the news article pointed out, to get people to think about things. In his book 'The God Delusion', Dawkins talks extensively about changing perspective. For example, the changed perspective of nineteenth-century geology gave people a new view of the history of their world, not just the theory of evolution but also the dawn of civilization. It makes people think, and that's always a good thing. To be honest I find the statement calling atheism "a danger to the public at large" far harsher than the text on the bus.

If Dawkins is supporting it, it's just to be an [wagon] thing.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

If religious groups are allowed to advertise their beliefs, I see no reason why Atheists can't do the same.

Becoming the very thing you seemingly hate? Priceless.

What?

Where did I say I hate religion?

A pompous student calling an honorary professor of the University of Oxford, member of the royal literary society, author of a science book selling 1.5 million copies translated to over 30 languages an idiot? Priceless.

There is a difference between forcing something on someone, and just putting out a message. This is the later.

Edit: I realised what the message was really about, but I was just taking care of people saying ' forcing your view point is wrong'.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

What?

Where did I say I hate religion?

I didn't say you hated religion?

A pompous student calling an honorary professor of the University of Oxford, member of the royal literary society, author of a science book selling 1.5 million copies translated to over 30 languages an idiot? Priceless.

RD is an idiot not because I say he is, but because he knows little to nothing about religion yet acts as if he does. No. Seriously. He's a hell of a scientist, but an abysmal theologian. And it's funny because, being at Oxford, he's literally a stone's throw away from some of the manuscripts upon which the NT is based yet he denies the authenticity/reliability of (Among other things, of course).

Late edit: And I'm not a student anymore. Haven't been for a while now :P

"...the very thing you seemingly hate"

What do I hate then? The bus?

Last I checked, I could have sworn one of the rallying cries of the, for lack of better words, non-religious were that the religious should keep their views to themselves. Doing something because another group does something even though you hate it when they do that something doesn't bode well for your group.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat. I still don't care.

Last I checked, I could have sworn one of the rallying cries of the, for lack of better words, non-religious were that the religious should keep their views to themselves. Doing something because another group does something even though you hate it when they do that something doesn't bode well for your group.

You are aware Humanists are religious themselves, aren't you? They just don't believe in a God...

You are aware Humanists are religious themselves, aren't you? They just don't believe in a God...

Ooo... Semantics. Well, normally I'd play this game, but if you looked at my post I specifically said 'for lack of better words'. Now, if you have better words, then substitute them for 'non-religious' :P

It's called fairness, and I like it.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I have a double opinion about this:

1. I think we should be allowed to post this im 100% atheïst. And we may advertise this.

2. This is wrong, because they: "Probably no God". People once chose to think this and we say they're wrong. We should not go against their believes or not show it so much. This will give problems over whole of the world with people going on the streets against it. Just let them believe in their god and don't mess with it.

^^ hope you understand it i reread it but toooooo bored to retype it:P

How does 20 minutes turn into 2.5 hours? Was your math perhaps magical math?

klaus.jpg

certainly, I have no legal or personal problem with doing this, it is there right. I do at some level feel it is wrong just because that doesnt sound like an actual inspirational message and is probably satire against religious ads.

Im agnostic personally, dont really see how this add accomplishes anything other then making some religious people mad and making some other people go hmm when they see it.]

I guess what im feeling is just some discomfort causes by growing up with religion and not being used to this kind of thing

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.