New Star Wars MMO "Star Wars: The Old Republic"

SupaDavis

This was just announced recently, not sure how recently

LucasArts, BioWare Confirm MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic

Posted by Patrick Klepek on 10/21/08 at 5:30 pm.

Just a few moments ago, LucasArts president Darrell Rodriguez confirmed their rumored collaboration with BioWare for a Star Wars PC MMO.

Its called Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Theres been some rumors recently in the past few months, joked BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka. We thought about Howard the Duck MMO, but maybe thats a little too crazy, a little too far out there.

Muzyka described The Old Republic as a story-based MMO, and theyve wanted to make a game like this for over a decade now. He describes The Old Republic as the fan-requested Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6 and beyond.

The game is now playable, though we wont be playing the game at LucasArts event today. Right now, theyre focusing on tweaking gameplay at LucasArts, BioWare and Electronic Arts and said well be seeing more of the gameplay soon.

The graphics look stylized. But while not realistic, theyre not as extreme as say, the animated Clone Wars movie.

BioWares emphasis is on story. They described story as the fourth pillar that has yet to be explored in online games. The Old Republic will tell a powerful story set thousands of years before the Star Wars movies. Its the same setting as the popular Knights of the Old Republic games.

But they did show a trailer to set the stage for the game. The video was completely story-centric, but gave away few details and showed no in-game footage from The Old Republic. The emphasis of the trailer was on the fight between good vs. evil. Who will you choose? the teaser asked.

A rep for the game said the developers are only talking about a PC release today, declining to address whether there will be console versions.

Well be interviewing LucasArts and BioWare today about The Old Republic. Stay tuned for more details.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/ ... -republic/

I, for one, can't wait. And I'll hopefully have my new PC in time for this <333

Hmm ive never been a fan of bioware rpg's, they get waaay too complex and convoluted and they usually under deliver in that they promise and hype something way too much.The chat system in mass effect was fantastic but it wasnt something that "will change the way all rpg's are played from now on" and that combat was absolutely flawless, Squad Ai would just leave at times and some classes like the sentinel were at times unplayable.

But an MMO is an ongoing project and is constantly being developed so i think game issues will be fixed pretty quick

tifsdac6mc.gif

I'm not a fan of Star Wars, but Star Wars fans should be glad BioWare is creating this. They usually deliver what they promise and almost all the time matches up to the hype. Mass Effect is pretty much the best western RPG on the consoles (Bethesda's games are up there but they're better off played on the PC imo)

I cannot wait, my dad will probably love this, lol!

A star wars MMO...Yea wow, never thought that would happen, the Star Wars thing NEVER dies out.

Will be interesting though.

Well, the last Star Wars MMO died a horrific death, so we'll see.

I cannot wait, my dad will probably love this, lol!

A star wars MMO...Yea wow, never thought that would happen, the Star Wars thing NEVER dies out.

Will be interesting though.

Well, the last Star Wars MMO died a horrific death, so we'll see.

It actually hasn't died.

Yeah, Galaxies was horrible after they re-did it...

Mr_Putter, the art at the moment is only to give us something to look at, with an MMO, releasing screenshots this early in the dev is like saying babies can understand Einstein's theory of relativity.

And DON'T prove me wrong.

It may not be final yet, but over on IGN they have a review saying the entire game will be stylized rather than realistic. Part of it is to make new content easier to make, but part is because that's just the way they are going with it. Kind of a shame - following the art style of Clone Wars instead of the good movies.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

It may not be final yet, but over on IGN they have a review saying the entire game will be stylized rather than realistic. Part of it is to make new content easier to make, but part is because that's just the way they are going with it. Kind of a shame - following the art style of Clone Wars instead of the good movies.

No...because a stylised game has more graphical longevity than a game thats got realistic tendencies.Its what has made wow still look current and there after that timeless look.In 10 years time when this game is still around and it looks like [wagon] and other games still look acceptable, then you have a problem.

tifsdac6mc.gif

Well, I wouldn't want to play an MMO for 10 years anyway...

Plus, realistic graphics have gotten pretty good. And they'll be even better, and the hardware able to run them will be more widely used by the time this comes out. It shouldn't be out before 2010 or 11.

Also - those screens look terrible, and certainly much worse than WoW.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I wonder which one's gonna come first, this one or Blizzard's new MMO

I'd give blizz's "Next gen MMO" 4 years.You will hear stuff about it earlier but the only information they have divulged is that its in the earky stages and that its a new ip, not wow 2.They also said that there goals are differant and that they aren't expecting to eclipse wow in subscribers but maybe go to an ad based model where you play for free but a company pays for there ad to be put in front of you while teh game loads, or the korean model where you buy items and gold.

Its teh future of iterative content like MMO's and the only exception to the rule is wow and its imitators.

tifsdac6mc.gif

It actually hasn't died.
In the unless-the-head-is-separated-from-the-body-only-a-properly-trained-professional-may-call-time-of-death sense of the phrase. Or possibly we-need-a-court-order-to-shut-of-the-respirator-and-probe-feeding-to-end-the-vegative-state.

I don't know though... I'm still boycotting SOE over SWG, and LucasArts ain't that far behind on my personal [cabbage]list due to a strong suspicion that they meddled too much in the development. In favour is the fact that an Old Republic setting means they've got more a creative license to adapt to playability, always a plus. The focus on "story" sounds a bit funky, AFAIK SWG did contain an ongoing plotline with new quests and whatnot at regular intervalls, I know Asheron's Call certainly did. WoW is still playing around with advancing the Warcraft lore - they're know making their own money by publishing some of it in comics and books. I don't really see how you could possibly focus more on "story" than previous games without [bleep]ing the MMO qualities of the gameplay; WoW is pretty much treading the line already.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

It actually hasn't died.
In the unless-the-head-is-separated-from-the-body-only-a-properly-trained-professional-may-call-time-of-death sense of the phrase. Or possibly we-need-a-court-order-to-shut-of-the-respirator-and-probe-feeding-to-end-the-vegative-state.

Well, in all honesty it's kind of hard to go any worse than SWG was pre NCE. I mean, people can have fond memories all they want but it was still a buggy pile of [cabbage], that they then turned into a buggy pile of [cabbage] that was also a WoW clone.

I don't know though... I'm still boycotting SOE over SWG, and LucasArts ain't that far behind on my personal [cabbage] due to a strong suspicion that they meddled too much in the development. In favour is the fact that an Old Republic setting means they've got more a creative license to adapt to playability, always a plus. The focus on "story" sounds a bit funky, AFAIK SWG did contain an ongoing plotline with new quests and whatnot at regular intervalls, I know Asheron's Call certainly did. WoW is still playing around with advancing the Warcraft lore - they're know making their own money by publishing some of it in comics and books. I don't really see how you could possibly focus more on "story" than previous games without [bleep] the MMO qualities of the gameplay; WoW is pretty much treading the line already.

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again -- LucasArts was pretty damn responsable for NCE. Granted SOE did have some involvment, but that was years and years ago, and a complete different development team than the one for Everquest and Everquest II (and more recently, Vanguard -- which proved they could actually turn around a bad game).

I am curious how massively this KOToR:O would be though. I mean, I hope it wouldn't be like a star wars version of guild wars. If they keep the instancing low (which I've heard they aren't going to) I'd be happy but, meh, I don't know. Haven't been that happy with bioware in the past few years, what with Mass Effect and the Sonic RPG both being just average games.

The story dude responsible said that the games story based and that will be its focus ( :wall: ) and teh story will centre around your character in the world.So ok hows that gonna work for a few hundred thousand people, maybe even a million???

That part sounds a bit too ambitious, theres a reason why "you are a part of a wider story, not the story"

tifsdac6mc.gif

The story dude responsible said that the games story based and that will be its focus ( :wall: ) and teh story will centre around your character in the world.So ok hows that gonna work for a few hundred thousand people, maybe even a million???

That part sounds a bit too ambitious, theres a reason why "you are a part of a wider story, not the story"

Most likely trickery. They will just have dialogue that says "You are the Chosen One!" or something, but they'll say that to everybody.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Probably the same way they do it for LOTRO. I haven't played LOTRO, but I've heard you basically play through the story. Actually, I have a feeling this will turn out a lot like LOTRO.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Once again LucasArts suffers from delusions of grandure:

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/24/wil ... thinks-so/

I think star wars is one of the few IP's that can compete with warcaft but the brand has been severly tarnished over the years and MMO's touting a competition which never even happens lowers peoples expectation. I think hes getting a little too carried away.

tifsdac6mc.gif

• 7 months later...