Why do people hate skillcapes

Reztral

I've been seeing some posts recently about how skillcapes ruined Runescape. Please explain to me how skillcapes ruined Runescape. Some people talk about players buying materials and grinding to get a skill to 99 and I do not see how this ruined Runescape.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some people find that a Skillcape that can be bought (Cook, Fletch etc.) is just to nubby, but what they don't consider is how the person got the money and how much time they took to invest it in it.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

Skillcapes made a great number of people want the get to 99 in certain stats that they never even wanted to touch before. A 99 skill before skillcapes was usually accompanied by a mature, respectable person, that enjoyed the skill s/he was training. After the release of skillcapes a large number of people started getting 99 skills. Which led to the common vision of the 99-skiller to be tarnished and mutilated.

People would grind and grind for hours to get these cool capes and would then become irritable that they were not getting the skill up fast enough or it cost too much; which degenerated the community as a whole. People started criticizing people for not having 99 skills at certain levels or not having as many capes as them. Skillcapes became the thing which people compared others to and some people did not like leveling skills all day. These people were unfairly generalized as noobs and lazy, while anyone with a 99 cape was generalized as a no life.

As I see it, the point of Runescape is to have fun. If getting 99 skill capes is fun for you, so be it. But would you even consider training those skills if there were no capes? This is another reason. Skillcapes created a huge deficit in some raw materials and a huge surplus of others. The economy went ballistic as many of the materials weren't being produced fast enough to meet demands. I can assure you, lobster or sharks would not be near as much as they are now if there were no skillcapes.

Skillcapes are a nice reward for maxing the level of a certain skill. I think it's stupid to achieve this just to get the cape. For me it's a challenge to get more levels as I'm a skiller. I even do more exp just for the fun of it (FM) because I like the skill. And as I'm a F2P the capes don't affect me anyways.

[404] Signature not found.

I don't see how skillcapes "ruined" runescape.

You could buy off the skills before and show them off, but everyone would have to look you up on hiscores to check. These capes actually have a small +1 benefit and some bonuses, and look cool! Regardless of whether its a buy off cape, whoever says it is "nub" just doesn't understand that it still takes time to do. Another reason could be their jealousy ;)

Emotes are fun as well, there is no negative to skill capes that I can think of.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Without skillcapes skills would actually be trained for use rather than capes, as they were intended to be, as well as many of the skills actually making money instead of just losing it.

Luckily for me, Agility, which is my eventual 99, is useful for everything and has an awesome skillcape, which is a bonus, just as it was meant to be.

2dgucz6.png

Thanks to skillcapes, experience itself is now worth money, even for the most useless skills. Before skillcapes, people would (usually) only train skills because those skills were usefull, or started being usefull at a certain level. Cooking for example, these days all cooked fish are worth less then their uncooked variants, skillcapes are to blame here, because if cooking would make no money without skillcapes, people would jsut ignore skill, causing the demand for cooked fish to raise, and those prices would rise. However, with skill capes, people dont care much about the skill being usefull, they just want a cape.

True there are other reasons for people to raise skills (without expecting profit), but in most cases the player would stop before hitting level 80, and thats not even 25% of the xp of 99. And there are more people training it aswell.

I would rather see them gone and replaced by some other cape(s). But im afraid the skillcapes here to stay.

I would probably have 99 fishing even if skill capes never were released.

I love my skill capes though, and nobody can make me change my mind. :mrgreen:

Skillcapes made a great number of people want the get to 99 in certain stats that they never even wanted to touch before. A 99 skill before skillcapes was usually accompanied by a mature, respectable person, that enjoyed the skill s/he was training. After the release of skillcapes a large number of people started getting 99 skills. Which led to the common vision of the 99-skiller to be tarnished and mutilated.

People would grind and grind for hours to get these cool capes and would then become irritable that they were not getting the skill up fast enough or it cost too much; which degenerated the community as a whole. People started criticizing people for not having 99 skills at certain levels or not having as many capes as them. Skillcapes became the thing which people compared others to and some people did not like leveling skills all day. These people were unfairly generalized as noobs and lazy, while anyone with a 99 cape was generalized as a no life.

As I see it, the point of Runescape is to have fun. If getting 99 skill capes is fun for you, so be it. But would you even consider training those skills if there were no capes? This is another reason. Skillcapes created a huge deficit in some raw materials and a huge surplus of others. The economy went ballistic as many of the materials weren't being produced fast enough to meet demands. I can assure you, lobster or sharks would not be near as much as they are now if there were no skillcapes.

^ That. Everyone and their mother has a skillcape now, just so that they... can have a skillcape. Firemaking, possibly the most pointless skill in the game, has, since skill capes, soared upwards in the number of people with 99s, simply because it's cheap and fast.

EDIT: Having said that, those people with a dedication to the skill before had no way to show it off, and really, if you want to encourage people to get a high stat, skill capes are ingenious.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

At the time, it was an ingenious move by jagex. If you wanted to buy a cape you needed members, and the fastest way to get capes was having members to train. I'm sure they made a lot more money by creating skill capes, because it [bleep]ed peoples interest to train skills they would never touch as someone already said, therefore they had to pay for the members long after they ultimately became bored with the game.

Scrd_Silence.png

Some people do, some don't.

I really like them, the look is brilliant and i love to make outfits with them.

Sometimes i go for 99's to get my runescape boost back up. The cape is a nice way to show i did it :)

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

They're just jealous.

And...

Without skillcapes skills would actually be trained for use rather than capes, as they were intended to be, as well as many of the skills actually making money instead of just losing it.

Basically sums up why people dislike skill capes. Imo there not the reason the economy is messed up skilling wise, their just a part of a bigger picture,

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

It ruined any possibility of making profit off most skills. You used to be able to make profit off of herblore, fletching, cooking, smithing, etc, if you had a high level enough and used the right methods. Now, people want the skillcapes and are ready to spend money to get exp, so now several skills are now completely useless monetary-wise. It didn't ruin Runescape, but it had some unforseen consequences. The skillcapes should have never been introduced. Now people want 99s for the wrong reason: bragging rights, and not because they actually enjoy the skill.

2480+ total

It ruined any possibility of making profit off most skills. You used to be able to make profit off of herblore, fletching, cooking, smithing, etc, if you had a high level enough and used the right methods. Now, people want the skillcapes and are ready to spend money to get exp, so now several skills are now completely useless monetary-wise. It didn't ruin Runescape, but it had some unforseen consequences. The skillcapes should have never been introduced. Now people want 99s for the wrong reason: bragging rights, and not because they actually enjoy the skill.

The only skills affected with skillcapes in my opinion were cooking and fletching, due to them making profit at that time and being quite fast. Herblore was never exploited for a cape due to the problem of collecting 3 ingredients and if they had to buy, world 2 was expensive.

What really spoiled Herblore was the introduction of Grand Exchange. Being able to buy all raw materials at a blink was all that was needed. Same goes for smithing as previously, you had to mine the ores yourself (a little boring) or buy at quite high prices.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

I don't hate skillcapes, in fact it shows how much someone has worked on a skill. The only thing that frustrates me is when people yell out "do emote!" as if the world revolves around them. That, and the "but i've never seen it before" famous quote :wall: sometimes I don't mind it but when it gets repetitive I usually go mental and then silent :x

2vuhgcn.png

The only skills affected with skillcapes in my opinion were cooking and fletching, due to them making profit at that time and being quite fast. Herblore was never exploited for a cape due to the problem of collecting 3 ingredients and if they had to buy, world 2 was expensive.

What really spoiled Herblore was the introduction of Grand Exchange. Being able to buy all raw materials at a blink was all that was needed. Same goes for smithing as previously, you had to mine the ores yourself (a little boring) or buy at quite high prices.

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

Not only was it the prices of potion ingredients from the GE but the prices of the potions themselves absolutely plummeted because people had so many stockpiled up in their banks that they sold them all at minimum price causing a crash in herblore goods.

Take agility potions for example. They were 2k each before the GE, now they are around 200 each. Restore potions are now worth less than and empty vial ffs. I don't remember how much super sets used to be on World 2 but I'm pretty sure super attacks and super defenses were worth way more than 500gp each...

I have also heard somewhere that antifire potions used to be 5k ea? Yeah, great...now they're 1k each because of the GE and I don't get to make squat for farming 100 lantadyme seeds and collecting ~800 blue dragon scales...

Snow_Miner.png

Slayer Drops

Dragon Chainbody (dust devil), Dragon Platelegs x2, Dragon Plateskirt x3, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x5, Dragon Spear x3, Shield Left Half x4

Staff of Light x2, Abyssal Whip x16, Dark Bow x17, Granite Maul x17, Focus Sight, Hexcrest x2, Black Mask x4, Leaf-bladed Sword, Mystic x31, Obsidian x13, Brine Sabre x2, Spirit Shield, Dragonstone x5

\'
Saifzman.png

Because they tunred skills from a way to make money into a way to get a cape. Before skillcpaes very few skills lost you money, it was a matter of choosing a skill you liked and made good money on. Once they were introduced it stripped the profit from most skills, making them more of a burden to train than money making.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^