Ranging in PVP using the wilderness ditch

extremefish

Do you guys not realize the ditch was put in to stop people from luring?

It doesnt serve that purpose anymore so why even keep it there?

:thumbup: I agree. Just get rid of the ditch! It doesn't really matter anymore because the whole world is PvP. Although the ditch was also to stop newbs from going into wildy accidentally and getting owned by revs. Maybe just get rid of it for PvP worlds?

erasig.jpg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you saying "range is supposed to go over obstacles" =D> good job, you understand simple concepts.

However dont be too proud of yourself, as you fail to see the larger picture, in that the ditch was never meant to be used like this, and it IS an abuse of features.

The ditch was made in a time when you could only attack people who were on one side of the ditch, and even then they had to be a few steps past the ditch to even be attackable. Now however, the whole world is pvp, meaning the ditch is just an abuseable hinderance: why? because everyone on a pvp world KNOWS THE RISK THEY ARE TAKING.

The wilderness ditch is there to prevent people from accidentally entering a dangerous zone. The fact that its there is ironic, oxymoronic, and just plain redundant, when you are required to acknowledge the dangers of pvp upon entering a pvp world.

For now, yes its good strategy to abuse the ditch if you can. Its a cheap, easy way to get kills.

As for the topic starters complaint: You're right its not fair, however if you dont like range.... well... thats your problem bud, you have a solution available to you, but you actively ignore it on the grounds that "you dislike ranged". Adapt, Die, or leave. complaining wont do you any good, unless Jagex is listening (doubtful).

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

It's an obstacle being used in the environment. They're no different from the various rocks and half walls you'll find across RS.

Now, if you made the argument that the ditch has no place in PvP worlds due to the fact that it serves no purpose, yeah. I'd have to agree. Since it's original implementation was to prevent being moonwalk'ed into the wilderness and being barrage/spec koed is impossible in PvP worlds, it's useless.

But you're upset because you claim that "not everyone can range" and it's not fair.

this may be a cause to other people that dont have the freakin range level or cant range for some reason

This would be the user's fault for not employing more flexible pking tactics.

I think if you changed your rant up and shored it up with some viable facts, then you'd be on the right page and the righteous people of Tip.It wouldn't be 'up-in-arms' against you :P

However dont be too proud of yourself, as you fail to see the larger picture, in that the ditch was never meant to be used like this, and it IS an abuse of features.

Originally, it wasn't. Now the game has changed significantly. PvP worlds are not the Wilderness of the past. It is now no different than any other obstacle in Runescape.

hzvjpwS.gif

fishy this is like the kids at edge during peak time on w23. they farcast you if you step out of the bank, then when you whip out range to own their backsides they tele and come back to insult you for doing it... but i agree w fishy, why bring all 3 cb styles just cause some kid wants to use the ditch...seems a bit stupid considering when the ditch appeared those first 2-3 squares weren't wildy in the first place...

edit: muggi i believe that in a way but i preach what i practise :P i never farcast, i just blitz from next to them then melee, official whimp please ;)

Just run away?

The way he is doing things, isn't that much different than ranging across a review with only one agility crossing. There are plenty of places like that in RS.

If you are sick of the ditch, fight somewhere else?

-in other news. I hate the tele-tubbies.

Templar Guardians

When are trying to lend something, the word to use is borrow. Not barrows, which is a mini-game.

because the wildy is a hot zone and the widly has revs on none pvp worlds and alot of the wildy is multi.

All of which happen to be things that can be sued to shock horror LURE

OMG! I want ditches around Varrock and Falador too !!! (Only to PvP worlds)

A_Kekek.png

thank you thats want im trying to say. why have jagex put the ditch there if it isnt actually doing what its suppose to do ?

Extremefish.png

My blog

Maxed CMB, 99 summoning/construction

Melee has Godswords, and assortments of weapons. Ranging has obstacles. Now they have the wildy ditch. It's not abuse, it's you not being ready for every situation.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Melee has Godswords, and assortments of weapons. Ranging has obstacles. Now they have the wildy ditch. It's not abuse, it's you not being ready for every situation.

I'm not saying that ranging over obstacles is bad, but this is no ordinary obstacle. Ordinarily its a wall, or a fence, or something like that. Something that can be ran around. They work well on monsters but it should be extremely difficult to keep an obstacle between you and another player, who's AI is a bit more advanced ;)

It is, essentially, a fence that you can teleport across. When a player hops over to fight the ranger, the ranger hops back over. He uses no run energy, needs no special tactics, he just clicks and he's instantly out of reach again. Its not fair. And to all those who say "range back", he shouldn't HAVE to bring range or magic just to fight someone back if he doesn't want to, and to those who say "fight somewhere else", same deal. If he wants to fight in Edgeville, he sure as hell should get the opportunity to fight there without some feature abusing rangers or mages.

I'm not saying that ranging over obstacles is bad, but this is no ordinary obstacle. Ordinarily its a wall, or a fence, or something like that. Something that can be ran around. They work well on monsters but it should be extremely difficult to keep an obstacle between you and another player, who's AI is a bit more advanced ;)

It is, essentially, a fence that you can teleport across. When a player hops over to fight the ranger, the ranger hops back over. He uses no run energy, needs no special tactics, he just clicks and he's instantly out of reach again. Its not fair. And to all those who say "range back", he shouldn't HAVE to bring range or magic just to fight someone back if he doesn't want to, and to those who say "fight somewhere else", same deal. If he wants to fight in Edgeville, he sure as hell should get the opportunity to fight there without some feature abusing rangers or mages.

Here's an idea: Don't pk near the wilderness ditch. If nobody is stupid enough to fall for that trick AND continue trying to catch the person as opposed to having half a brain and walking two feet out of their range, they won't do it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Thank you physco u understand what im saying!!! :thumbsup:

its annoying cause the ditch wasnt suppose to be used for that purpose and now it has no use and people are exploiting

its uses which i think is unfair so jagex should get rid of the ditches in PVP worlds. Its helping just the rangers no1 else. IT SHOULD BE REMOVED

Here's an idea: Don't pk near the wilderness ditch. If nobody is stupid enough to fall for that trick AND continue trying to catch the person as opposed to having half a brain and walking two feet out of their range, they won't do it.

Yes but rangers go past the ditch and then when they attack u they run to the ditch simple as....

this has happened to me 99% of the time against rangers

Extremefish.png

My blog

because the wildy is a hot zone and the widly has revs on none pvp worlds and alot of the wildy is multi.

All of which happen to be things that can be sued to shock horror LURE

People used to lure because when you were killed...they got your stuff(Usually expensive things because the lure involved the luree bringing something they were selling into the wild)...

For revs to be a possibility, you would have to be lured to a pretty high level for there to be any danger...which is unlikely...

Honestly, your argument really holds no baring due to the fact that luring just isn't practical for anyone anymore....not to mention there are worst lures that could be done now that arn't stopped by a gigantic ditch...

But in any case, I still don't think the ditch should need be removed due to the fact its just a part of runescape...If you don't want to range, don't fight by the ditch. I'm going to compare this to poker.

You have good stats, better stats then the other player...lets say your whole cards are AK suited...pretty good hand. The other player has good stats, but not as good as yours...Pocket 6's..Even if you hit both your ace and your king, you should fold if he hits his 6...

In other words, even if you think you should own him, if he is using the ditch for an advantage, you either need to get the same advantage, or fold(run and fight someone else)...

w4M8t.png

Even though you are maxed combat and could easily deal with the player, this is actually a pretty significant issue. Somebody could Ice Barrage you, and mage/range safely from a distance. Once you are unfrozen and try to cross, they cross themselves and ice barrage you again, leaving you trapped on the opposite side once more. Lots of time for dragon bolt specials = k0

They really need to fix this. Maybe no ditch in PvP worlds? Or maybe no ditches in any worlds, and just have the Auto-Warning appear?

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Even though you are maxed combat and could easily deal with the player, this is actually a pretty significant issue. Somebody could Ice Barrage you, and mage/range safely from a distance. Once you are unfrozen and try to cross, they cross themselves and ice barrage you again, leaving you trapped on the opposite side once more. Lots of time for dragon bolt specials = k0

They really need to fix this. Maybe no ditch in PvP worlds? Or maybe no ditches in any worlds, and just have the Auto-Warning appear?

Nah, I think it's a fair tactic. People could range and mage around fences/bridges/islands or even at the air obelisk in the Wildy. :D Even at Puro-Puro if anyone bothers to PK there you could barrage then go through the bushes and barrage again.

There's scenery similar to the ditch everywhere so they can't really remove it all.

imagangster.png

thank u warrior u understand what im saying i totally agree

Extremefish.png

My blog

Nah, I think it's a fair tactic. People could range and mage around fences/bridges/islands or even at the air obelisk in the Wildy. Even at Puro-Puro if anyone bothers to PK there you could barrage then go through the bushes and barrage again.

There's scenery similar to the ditch everywhere so they can't really remove it all.

yes but u dont get it....

the ditch was supposed to stop luring and watever and now it is helping pkers. THE DITCH HAS NO USE ANYMORE

Extremefish.png

My blog

Yes the trick is easy to deal with, by running away, but that doesn't mean it should be left in the game. Its an exploit and should be removed!

As stated many times, you can... um... you can... RANGE THEM BACK?!

If we remove the wilderness ditch from pvp worlds, we also need to remove every single potential safe spot. It's not fair that your opponent can use the terrain to outsmart you!

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If we remove the wilderness ditch from pvp worlds, we also need to remove every single potential safe spot. It's not fair that your opponent can use the terrain to outsmart you!

u obviously dont get what im saying....

if the ditch was built to stop luring then let it be there but there is no luring so why is it there?!?!?!

now people r using it and its getting annoying!

Extremefish.png

My blog

u obviously dont get what im saying....

if the ditch was built to stop luring then let it be there but there is no luring so why is it there?!?!?!

now people r using it and its getting annoying!

I get what you're saying, but it's not a valid reason to remove the ditch. The fact that it provides a challenge like that is wonderful.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.