Player Moderators: Are They Really Worthy?

@Dan3HitU

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=Warning]

Where did any Mod say that they hated people asking them questions? Specifically said that, not just what you assumed from two lines of text discussing the subject.

I honestly don't see any self-admitted player mods crying about their job's difficulties, merely explaining it from a different view that most players don't even bother to contemplate.

The person asking a question has every right to expect an answer. I don't think anyone's disputing that. And, considering, that most of what a Player/Forum mod tells you comes straight off of the rules or Jagex themselves, it can be viewed as dependable. Otherwise, they could jeopardize their position for misleading people.

You make it seem like such a difficult job to sit at a chair while playing a game and clicking the report button.

Right, because doing those extra chores REALLY add to the depth of gameplay. C'mon now. Sure, it's not hard, but it's not exactly the most thrilling task in the whole world. It's tedious, regardless if you enjoy it or not.

Chore? Seriously? If it's not thrilling don't do it. #-o

[/hide]

I think the point has been totally missed - the whole idea of "put yourself in their shoes" is that you imagine what it's like having to answer the same questions over and over, being hated by players just because some power hungry jerk muted someone's friend and all the extra attention you have to pay if you speak in a place like Varrock.

Here's some more perspective: As a pmod, I don't like being treated as a "God" - the attention isn't always pleasant, but I don't hate answering questions, it keeps me mentally alert and spreads information - who knows maybe that person will answer for me next time? I also try to avoid a mute, making enemies is not the objective of a pmod - nor players alike.

Drop the prejudice and go talk to a pmod - you might be surprised!

This is all I have to say, I hope you can use some of the information.

dilo_1_2.png

It's what I do

6968.png

Let's not go use this thread as a means to point fingers at who you think is not a good player moderator. For all you know in the clan chats there are player moderators lurking who don't want to say anything at all. -.-

Anyway:

I've been a player moderator since July 2004. I still send in reports like I used to before I was a player moderator: high quality and when necessary, which actually isn't often (probably because I hang out in quiet areas in the game anyway). I usually try to remind players of the rules kindly and even make friends sometimes, and in return the players either learn something or they'll respond rudely, in which depending on the situation can lead to either a spot on my ignore list or a report; rarely does it lead to mutes. If anything, majority of my reports/mutes as far as I can recall come from ad-bot spammers and people spewing extremely foul language non-stop despite all pleas (I won't bother with listing the macro bots too since practically everyone did that lol). o_O'

To some, it may seem stupid that I do this, but I feel that it helps build a better relationship between Jagex and the players, rather than burden Jagex with minor infractions that really can be settled with a good talk (like someone spamming a little for example) and leave the players going "OMG WTH YOU ." Yes the small things do build up to larger things, but that's where everyone, not just player moderators and Jagex staff, come in. We all have to help each other remember the rules. Heck, even some player moderators need a quick refresher course on the rules, which do update with the changing community in the game. Ultimately Jagex will decide on the fate of the players, regardless of whether a player moderator reported it or not. Please also remember that when the little notices you get about your mutes/bans, the word "moderator" in there doesn't necessarily mean a player moderator; it can also refer to Jagex moderators.

And please keep in mind that one bad player moderator doesn't make the whole several thousand of them bad. It's not fair for those who actually want to try to help the community. :thumbdown:

They abuse it. Last saturday I was at the party room, and I saw a moderator, and I called him a noob for no reason. Most people just shrug that off and get on with life (Except for a select few). 5 minutes later I'm muted for 2 days when Jagex clearly states in the rules that you cannot get in trouble for calling someone a noob. But it was all good, as I was un-muted within 30 minutes.

Nice to see you can stereotype ALL mods from the actions of one single player. But I suppose if one mod gave you a full guthix armour you wouldn't be so quick to say They are all nice.

There is a sign of power abuse: people calling you a noob and got reported by you--jagex never notice; people calling a P-Mod noob and jagex is on the case.

Well jagex wouldn't really be on the case, you would only be muted (because of the p-mod) until the j-mod looks at the p-mods report and takes off the mute.

I'd be willing to bet that most mods that get bad reputations stem from the fact that whiny kids complain about getting blackmarks "unjustly."

I agree whole heartedly there.

Most times when p-mods go on a muting spree or w/e are the ones who were hacked, but don't worry there locked out of the account and then at least they loose there mod ship.

The kind deeds of 1000 can easily be undone by the foul act of one (aka if alot of mods help people then one person goes on a muting spree who whole p-mod community is hurt by it, the actions of one.)

howlin1eeveesig.png

The only player mod I've really had a chance to get to know would probably make a good president. It's a small sample size, but it can't be a coincidence. In fact, half of his playtime has probably been clocked up standing in the Lumbridge/Varrock courtyards muting bots; he's just that dedicated.

Some do, some don't. I've personally met some who do. However, I think, judging by the community, that most deserve it. But you also have to remember, player moderators are always players first.

Wow. All I have to say about that level 9 mod, is WOW. This game is slowly trudging downhall. They need to pull their Depends up and get their priorities in line.

Most likely a skiller. Jagex does not pick people that have been playing for only a few days. They have obviously demonstrated good character, and a clean record; they deserve it, regardless of their combat level.

You make it seem like such a difficult job to sit at a chair while playing a game and clicking the report button.

Right, because doing those extra chores REALLY add to the depth of gameplay. C'mon now. Sure, it's not hard, but it's not exactly the most thrilling task in the whole world. It's tedious, regardless if you enjoy it or not.

Agreed. You actually have to set a good example, even the time where you just want to make a snappy come back at the person that just called you [so and so], or that person that just crashed you at Bandos. You just suck it up, they're reacting to the crown, not you. And then there are those who decide to follow you, thinking your rich, or some other nonsense, attracting more crowds.

I wouldn't say it's hard, but it certainly is more time consuming.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Wow. All I have to say about that level 9 mod, is WOW. This game is slowly trudging downhall. They need to pull their Depends up and get their priorities in line.

How exactly do you know that this person was not worthy of pmodship? Being able to solo the Kalphite Queen does not make someone a kind and respectful player who sends high quality reports.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The system has completely changed so THEY HAVE TO OF EARNED IT.

My friend took around a month after she had the proposal of becoming a player mod to actually accessing the crown next to her name.

She went through tests and god knows what untill she actually recieved the crown.

She really did deserve that crown and tbh i can't actually think when i have had a bad experience with a p mod.

s652yx.jpg

I find this topic pointless and pathetic. Instead of criticizing player-mods, (in which I have first hand experience with), actually put yourself in their shoes. First of all, being a player mod is totally voluntary and you can reject and give up the crown at any time, not even an explanation needed. Secondly, players mods are *players* first, hence the name: player moderator. We do not have to take direct action from an order such as yourself, for you on the other hand, should think twice before posting a pathetic topic like this, and yes, many other topics are exactly the same as this one. Who are you to judge how moderators are picked, you are not Jagex nor you are part of the p-mod community, you wouldn't give a flying rat's [wagon] about it. We want to play the game like all of you, we're not baby sitters or Jagex's children. We get put through a whole load of [cabbage], that is not an excuse, for it comes with the title. It is not based on our knowledge about Runescape itself, but the community, the rules, and the actual fun of this game, which you sir, have taken away my fun from today because of this pathetic topic. Why not post this on rsof, and see the response by many forum and/or Jagex mods? You just post on here, like your lame leetscape client and pathetic stolen images for stat images.

Have a nice day,

~Poet

Supports the post above too :)

ltangel.png

Man basiliko, its weird how much knowledge you have.... Did you ever watch him pk back in the day? Because he wasn't that great at catching.

I'm pretty sure I am...

Yes player moderators are worthy and Jagex does carefully select them.

They really don't at all, a guy leaked the entire process of how they do it years ago (he was a co-admin of one of the biggest cheat sites) and the process is still the same apparently.

Would you like to share it with us?

Lots of accusations and you still cant present anything...

Reinet, the Player Moderator was "Arch" (cheat name, won't give in-game name).

Until the day when I see a pmod behaving like a moron, I'll stick to saying that most of Jagex's mods are fairly picked. :)

That's one of my points, they aren't "picked" by Jagex, or at least, they weren't.

Yes player moderators are worthy and Jagex does carefully select them.

They really don't at all, a guy leaked the entire process of how they do it years ago (he was a co-admin of one of the biggest cheat sites) and the process is still the same apparently.

Well if a P-mod does something wrong now then Jagex can trace him IRL so I don't really think there are a lot of noob p-mods any more.

I have seen noob P-mods in the past, a cb lvl 19 with no stats in highscores that didn't know what a "main" was when I asked him. I also got to say that the latest 6 months I've seen like 3 P-mods, while before that (when they didn't need to tell their IRL adress and stuff) I saw like 3 a day.

In the past we also got some players getting P-modstatus and posted about it, but in the last 6 months I haven't met any new person at all who got it. I think even Jagex isn't recruiting that many of them any more, but ok.

I also notice that loads of players claim that they have seen P-mods doïng stupit actions, but barely ever do they have evidence, isn't this a bit strange? I mean...

I have broken 185 world records in my live, good hé isn't it?

No, I don't have any evidence of it, but just believe me ;).

I also think that Jagex need to make more sorts of P-mods:

- Helping ones who just help you ingame (black crown)

- Peoples who know everything about the rules (grey crown)

- Peoples who can mute (no crown otherwise everybody is just brave around them and as soon as they leave they start breaking rules again)

- Forum (green, also ingame)

[spiel about some shady cheat site goes here]

That's one of my points, they aren't "picked" by Jagex, or at least, they weren't.

To be trite but true, no pic no proof, 3 Hit U.

The system has completely changed so THEY HAVE TO OF EARNED IT.

My friend took around a month after she had the proposal of becoming a player mod to actually accessing the crown next to her name.

She went through tests and god knows what untill she actually recieved the crown.

If you've read the posts in your own thread, you would've seen someone mention that the selection process has changed. :-w

And to be honest, most of those 'cheat sites' are shady when it comes to games like Runescape--because, let's face it, anyone with half a brain knows there's no cheats for Runescape. I'd believe a member of Tip.It's community before I believe this mysterious "Arch" you mention, who apparently doesn't divulge his in-game name.

hzvjpwS.gif

Well I notice your initial question is whether player moderators are worthy of the crown... From what I know player moderators actual abilities include their reports being higher priority as they have already proven that they send good reports and the ability to temporarily mute someone if they are especially disruptive in game.

The fact that they have a crown is truly irrelevant, in fact I would bet that 90% of the people who "want to be player moderators" really only want the crown that comes with it. It gets them special attention. If no crown came with the job I am sure they would no longer have the desire to be a moderator. I suppose for some of them they feel it will be a power trip.

Just because someone is inexperienced in Runescape, that does not affect their ability to know, abide by, and enforce the rules of the game. Similarly, just because someone knows everything about Runescape does not mean they provide good reports or even abide by all the rules all the time.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Yo, first thing when I come back to Tip.it I see this? Geez... Minus well start posting.

Well, my opinion on worthy/unworthy Pmods is... affected by many factors to say.

-I know plenty of Player mods

-I know some black market relating to this... unfairly I guess.

-The level 9 you saw was most likely Zzzamorak? Pure skiller, check'im out on Hiscores.

-I've honestly never seen abuse of powers by Pmods.

Sooo...begin the wall of text, and I'm just going to make it pink to whoever reads it so they can cry out in pain...got it?

Part 1) Player modship is a status, not of worship or extreme power, but it is a symbol that they are doing their part to contribute to the game. How they achieved such status is through what Scapers would call "Community Service" or as I would call it, "Report every single violator you can see". In this wall-o-text I will address not only the previous points made by players, but also my own views.

To the one who said that they don't have the right to mute people for just calling them a "noob". The ToS of Jagex does state this yes, but you forget, we are humans. If someone came up to you in life and called you a and claimed it was freedom of speech, what would you do? If they started cussing at you repeatedly, you would either

A) Run to some authority figure (Whether a cop or a parent) and tell on them...

B) Start cussing back

C) Ignore him.

D) Punch him

Most people would choose the last 2 choices, that is exactly what this person did. Name calling has always been a degrading part of Runescape in my opinion. So if you decide to do that to someone? Law of Physics, Equal and Opposite reactions, keep it in mind.

Part 2) People Actually Work for the crown y'now? Whether its through cash or sweat and tears, they still worked for it in some way in the other. Here I will address a small story that my brother told me the other day when I was gushing over a friends Crown:

There is a certain person in RS that if you pay him [X] Dollars via paypal, they will get your chosen account player mod-ship. They would create a ton of noob accounts and have your account report every last and single one of them, then recieve brownie points from their friends in the mod ranks and BOOM! You're a mod. This obviously sickened me of how the system was so corrupt, but as many Pmods that had posted in this forum have said, there aren't that many "Bad" Pmods. So I'm not sure if this story was correct or my bro was just trying to mess with my head.

Part 3) In regarding to 3_Hit_U or however you spell his name. He may have had a bad history, then again, WHO HASN'T? The past doesn't matter anymore, it's all the present and the future. As long as they aren't blasting apart society in the present, it's fine.

Part 4) To the person who talked about a player mod being rude to him. Have you ever considered that they were in the middle of trying to help out 10 other people? And couldn't take on the assist of an eleventh? The process for a PMod to mute someone temporarily has to go through analyzing the situation and ultimately, making the choice. If you were being too whiny (As other people have said in the past) then yes, it is OBVIOUS they will snap at you. Just because they are PMods doesn't mean they have to be the perfect epitome of a pure hearted helper.

Part 5) I'm done for now, fingers hurt. If the color blinds you, then don't read. If you want to read my part, read it all.

Off topic: I really need to update my sig -.-

2jb8hf6.jpg

Why worry about something like this when your so freaking awesome at runescape? you invented pures! No one ever thought of it, you were the very first, and you sure flaunt it in a big headed fashion.

On topic, your wrong.

Azn Purity was the very first "pure" according to my memory.

Why worry about something like this when your so freaking awesome at runescape? you invented pures! No one ever thought of it, you were the very first, and you sure flaunt it in a big headed fashion.

On topic, your wrong.

You really have no idea about me at all lol, I never bang on about being "first" or anything, that's just peoples opinion of me before they even know me.

I'm not "so freaking awesome at runescape", I'm no different from you or Zezima, we're all equal in the world of runescape, so I'd love to know how you think I flaunt it.

It's a major fallacy that most player moderators are bad. In fact, the majority of them are the exact opposite! What you guys have to understand is that only a very small amount go around to abuse their powers truly. Don't forget, some of them could get their accounts accessed by someone other than them, and the idiot who decided to control them end up causing major harm. To be honest, I think that player moderators do deserve their crowns and a lot of the people (not all) tend to not like them because they have had bad experiences with them because of confusion and jealousy.

j0xPu5R.png

Tbh I'd say around 7% of mod's don't deserve or abuse powers. I've only come across 1 abusive mod since i've started playing awhile ago. No idea where you got your statistics but they don't seem to be true. The mod's get picked on a lot of different factors such as playing time (e.g. how active they are), good reporting vs. bad reporting and their behavior in game.

patr1ckotg1.png