Night-time Could Be Arriving...

Leoo

I must admit, I was a bit confused at first as to what you were all on about...

Clarification came when I realized you were all talking about playing in High Detail (HD) mode! No difference whatsoever is seen in Standard Detail (SD) mode! I always play in SD, and had to switch over into HD to see what the effect looks like.

Which leads to the question... how exactly could Jagex go about implimenting a day/night system as everyone is describing, that would function in both SD and HD modes?

If they made certain monsters appear more frequently at night, such as Muggers, and others appear less-frequently during the day, such as Vampires, it would be awefully confusing if you were playing in Standard Detail mode! Day would look no different than night, and you would be confused as to why you kept getting attacked my the sudden overload of Muggers. The same applies to making monsters more tough/higher levels at night time. You would be wondering why the same exact skeletons you were fighting several hours ago have gotten tougher all of the sudden...

I think it's a really cool effect, once I saw it! I do believe that the change in question was just to add to the holiday atmosphere, but it would be interesting to see a day/night side of the game added! My oldest RS friend and I used to have wild discussions, clear back in RS2, about how they should add a nighttime to the game, and you should be able to turn into a werewolf if you were bitten by one...

Here's hoping for a cool change, and that Jagex could manage to figure it all out!

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did that last year with the Grim Reaper's house. When you got closer to his house's portal everything would become much darker. That didn't mean we were getting day/night time back then and it doesn't mean we're getting it now. This only means that we have another member of the Speculation Nation on our hands.

Honestly, why do you take every meaningless update (even temporary ones) and twist them into something else? How would we even benefit from day/night time? If you've been playing so long that day turned into night then I think someone needs hobby...

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

I must admit, I was a bit confused at first as to what you were all on about...

Clarification came when I realized you were all talking about playing in High Detail (HD) mode! No difference whatsoever is seen in Standard Detail (SD) mode! I always play in SD, and had to switch over into HD to see what the effect looks like.

Which leads to the question... how exactly could Jagex go about implimenting a day/night system as everyone is describing, that would function in both SD and HD modes?

If they made certain monsters appear more frequently at night, such as Muggers, and others appear less-frequently during the day, such as Vampires, it would be awefully confusing if you were playing in Standard Detail mode! Day would look no different than night, and you would be confused as to why you kept getting attacked my the sudden overload of Muggers. The same applies to making monsters more tough/higher levels at night time. You would be wondering why the same exact skeletons you were fighting several hours ago have gotten tougher all of the sudden...

I think it's a really cool effect, once I saw it! I do believe that the change in question was just to add to the holiday atmosphere, but it would be interesting to see a day/night side of the game added! My oldest RS friend and I used to have wild discussions, clear back in RS2, about how they should add a nighttime to the game, and you should be able to turn into a werewolf if you were bitten by one...

Here's hoping for a cool change, and that Jagex could manage to figure it all out!

I'm sure something could be done to give an indication of the time, to give you warning when something is going to happen at night. You could even buy/sell/make/wear watches, which would make a little window with the time in Runescape appear in the corner of the interface, with varying degrees of accuracy. Sweetness! :D

I think the event is proof that a day/night system is possible, and maybe even a date system as well? It would be useful for event co-ordination, you would just say the date and time in Runescape Standard Time, and everybody would know when it would happen regardless of timezone.

I know I'm wildly speculating, but it is easily possible.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Well ofcourse they can *make* night time, but making a day/night cycle is something totally different. It will also require a lot more coding and more difficulty implementing it into the game. Sure, Draynor is dark now, which fits the Halloween setting, but I doubt this relates to a possible day/night cycle coming up.

I guess it could be a possibility. It is most likely just a static area effect that they put in place for this specific event. I'm not sure if Java is able to create dynamic daylight changes.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I guess it could be a possibility. It is most likely just a static area effect that they put in place for this specific event. I'm not sure if Java is able to create dynamic daylight changes.

I don't see why they can't, after all, it is JaGEx (the hint's in the name) we're talking about. They could just set up a program which causes the fog colour and density in each area to follow a set repeating path according to the time. Sure, they'd have to do that for every area, but it's far from impossible. Just be glad that they don't have to deal with a sky... yet! :)

~ W ~

sigzi.png

What is next after Day/Night? Weather effect? Rain? Snow? Hail?

Yes. I am going to make a whole new topic about how snow will be added onto RuneScape once the Christmas banner is realeased. -.-

3. The glowing circle you claim to be the sun could also just be a glowing energy ball from her wand - so I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly.

No, I didn't actually. :lol:

Honestly, why do you take every meaningless update (even temporary ones) and twist them into something else? How would we even benefit from day/night time? If you've been playing so long that day turned into night then I think someone needs hobby...

This is the first actually, go tell those who start 2000 topics on the Dragon Platebody. If I was just going on about how night-time can be added, I would understand. But I done more than, explaining my thoughts on the banner, header. There would be many benefits if you actually thought before running your mind constantly and stop assuming no one has no life just because they made a prediction. Sometimes I play in the morning, and sometimes I play at night when I get inside. Rawr.. :wall:

Other than that, thank you all for have contributed postively.

He is my made-up FAQ. Even though some may be slightly unrealistic.

F: People have different time-zones, how can you possibly get the day/night-time to suit everyone's timezone?

A: The location of the computer you log in will be tracked. We will set your time-zone to suit the location you are in, the same way will create the worlds are created to suit people and allow them to found a world (such as UK, US) that isn't lagging.

F: Will there be features that only apply at night-time?

A: Yes. A few examples are:

- Monsters will only be avaliable to hunt the night

- Some monsters may become stronger and increases the chance of better loot

- New items such as torches will come in use during the night, especially in towns that are much more darker

- Using the Fishing skill, you will be able to catch fish that swim only during the dark and using the Hunter skill, you may also see a few creatures roaring across the dark lands

Etc

F: I don't want to be in night-time, it's difficult to see! Is it complusary for everyone?

A: You can change the day/night time settings in your options interface and disable it. However, you will not be able to enable for another 24 so you don't gain advantage to the features that only appear in the game at night. Once you have disabled it you will be playing in the ordinary RuneScape daytime.

I will probably add some quotes on the main page and will add more 'suggestions' soon. It depends how far this topic goes :)

I'd like it better if there was an ingame timezone for all worlds. And because of this, add features that only occur at night or such. For example, muggers thieves don't come out utill night. The streets of Varrok crawl with gang members at night, along with tramps and such. Would be an epic update.

w00t <3:

i like the idea ::'

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

I have to say everything looks better at night, so it would make a nice change and spruce things up a bit.

I would say an easier way to have a day/night cycle than having a seperate cycle for each world based on its place, or each persons computer would jsut to keep all the worlds on a 4 hour cycle. 4 hours of daylight 2 hours of night, would mean nobody should be totally unable to play night-time and makes it much more simple.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I would love day/night effects if they made it.

Maybe they could make it base the light off of your computer clock?

That way, if people didnt want it to be dark, they could just change their pc time.

Anyway they do it, if they do it, I would love it. :mrgreen:

I would really like to see day/night time considering we have different sources of light and current lighting effects can make it look fantastic. I think the best idea would be to make day/night time server-side. If so many people want real-time day/night, then it should depend on the server's timezone.

I would be absolutely against player-controlled day/night. Everyone should be in the same game time.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I would really like to see day/night time considering we have different sources of light and current lighting effects can make it look fantastic. I think the best idea would be to make day/night time server-side. If so many people want real-time day/night, then it should depend on the server's timezone.

I would be absolutely against player-controlled day/night. Everyone should be in the same game time.

Agreed. Not only that, it would then be impossible to have NPCs to appear only at night time as they would have to be present for some people and not others, then you'd have to have two versions of the same world, and all that. It's too much trouble.

Keep it servers side, and I would prefer all the worlds to follow the same cycle, but it should be a 20 hour day so people aren't stuck with day or night. You shouldn't be able to choose what time it is, you'd defeat the objective of realism.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Agreed. Not only that, it would then be impossible to have NPCs to appear only at night time as they would have to be present for some people and not others, then you'd have to have two versions of the same world, and all that. It's too much trouble.

Keep it servers side, and I would prefer all the worlds to follow the same cycle, but it should be a 20 hour day so people aren't stuck with day or night. You shouldn't be able to choose what time it is, you'd defeat the objective of realism.

Consider night-time on, say, the Wilderness Agility course... you wouldn't be able to see a thing! Jagex would have to make it optional simply to stop people having to strain their eyes/not be able to make things out.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Consider night-time on, say, the Wilderness Agility course... you wouldn't be able to see a thing! Jagex would have to make it optional simply to stop people having to strain their eyes/not be able to make things out.

Yes, the update would have to be bundled with some light sources which actually emit proper light instead of just increasing the brightness of the screen.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Wasnt there something a while back about "Something big coming over the horizon"

The sun/moon is big, perhaps a reference to rising sun/moon; aka; day and night.

If someone would like to find where they said this, it was in one of the BTSs.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Wasnt there something a while back about "Something big coming over the horizon"

The sun/moon is big, perhaps a reference to rising sun/moon; aka; day and night.

If someone would like to find where they said this, it was in one of the BTSs.

they were aiming on summoning.

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

Speculation is always good :D

Night time/day time would be good but could become annoying. I'm quite sure Jagex are trying to make RS more realistic, this could be one of the changes to do so ;)

Nice find btw, I never noticed the banner changes before :?

actually that would just be more realistic, i mean how stupid you should be to go train agility in an arena full of skeletons in the middle of the night, in deep wilderness.

Train at daytime, skill at night

(or just take a light source, duh (if youre not afraid))

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

Dontdoit.png

Hmm?

Things on there aren't only because they won't be doing them. Some things are on there because they are already doing them and don't want to take up space on that forum. For example look underneath it, they did that one with some changes, but it was on that list.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I can't see the pictures, as the link is broken, but I have done the new event. I personally don't have a problem with the idea, and I can easily see the screen. I was skeptical about it at first, but after experiencing the tainted sky from the event, which is hopefully Night/Day, I don't have a problem with it.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg