BabyPunchers' Guide to Range-Slaying

BabyPunchers

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With dial-up, I'm having some real trouble seeing your dozens of pictures. I really don't think they are all necessary, it's kind of pointless having the same two equipment pictures for sooo many tasks. :x Other than that, this guide has some real potential. After I get 99 defence with slayer, I plan on getting 99 range. I can guarantee I'll be using this guide, as long as you make some much needed updates to it.

I strongly suggest you mention how much a Dragonfire shield can help when you're forced to tank tasks, and you should truly think about getting full range void. It is awesome armour and, in my opinion, better than Armadyl for tasks that have safespots, and/or have you kill NPCs with low range defence.

Sorry for all this text, I'm just really excited to see a Range Slayer Guide. \'

EDIT: I forgot something else: Comparisons of different range weapons and which you recommend for different tasks. Between Crystal bows, Rune c'bows, Magic shortbows, and Knives, it would be a great section that could really benefit this guide and it's audience.

Sir_Ddude.gif

I was thinking of putting the DFS in this guide but for most tanking tasks, it's just a bit overkill. The only place I can think of that it's really needed is cannoning Cave Crawlers. Wow, those things hit hard. Very suprising. But anywhere else it's just not needed. You either don't need a shield and better of using an Unholy Book or something like a Rune Kiteshield would suffice.

As for Void, I do remember seeing a study on the RSOF comparing void and dragonhide. Dragonhide came out with something like 2.3% more expierience than void. Not noticeable, but it's there. Now, because of that, I think Armadyl would be better expierience.

Heh, and yeah, I realise my guide isn't that friendly to Dial-Up tifers. And since I've got other complaints on this, I'll start taking out the extra pictures right now. ::'

And comparisons of Ranged Weapons would be a good idea. I think i'll add that when i get the chance.

Edit:Unneeded pictures taken out. Thanks for helping me make that desicion guys. Should load faster now. :thumbup:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

The studies are wrong - Void gives by far more xp. It's been tested many times, and it always comes up on tops on all Slayer tasks without the defense of Steel dragons. :roll:

And DFS is definetely not an overkill. You get defense, which allows you to use a Combat familiars. In fact, you should use it in basically all tasks without safespots.

Edit: Isn't a BSS better than a DFS while ranging? Plus, you can get a spare bat or so with it...

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

hm.. well it was an early test. I suppose you're probably right.

The DFS is overkill in some cases, such as Greater Demons and the like. It is something I should have put in though.

And, excuse me for this, whats a BSS? o.o I'm not very good with abbriviations. :lol:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Ah, well that was left out purposely. There has to like, what, 12 in existence? :o

Rawr i have to go. Might check before I go to bed tonight. See you all. <3:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Amazing. All I can think of is that [bleep]y Black Vambs are better than normal ones, but other than that, just wow. Nice work!

Blessed spirit shield doesn't give any negative Ranging bonus, but it costs 10m, and the market is literally flooded with them. You can get them for all junk. Actually, junk is worth more than it.

10m? wow. I think I might buy one then. I havn't seen any pictures of drops or anyone walking around with one since it's realease. Are you sure they're as common as you say?

And thanks guys :) Especially you theo. Thanks again for all your help :)

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

In the turoth section, you said "than most" one too many times. Other than that, amazing guide, 10/10.

Fixed. :thumbup: And I think your sig is messed up. :-#

Surely the second best slayer guide on these boards, right after Axe man Jack's

Ha well thank you, but I still think Kent's is a bit better, as mine is only aimed at a smaller audience. ::'

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

BSS are quite common, and yes, they are terrible junk. If you buy one, gl selling it back unless you get an animal mask with it. I was one of the lucky ones that sold it in the GE for about 12m, lol.

You might wanna try things like Verac's/Torag's Helm and Spirit Shield (non-blessed) for tasks you have to tank on. Spirit Shield is about the same as a Rune Kiteshield and has no range negative. Blessed Spirit Shields are good but expensive and you can't sell it back unless you sell it with an animal mask or something.

However, I must say I definitely believe void is better than d'hide and armadyl. At one of my ranging spots, I tested void to be a lot better than d'hide, so much that I'm almost absolutely sure that its better than armadyl as well. D'Hide actually hit less often than Void did, believe it or not. Void not only hit more often, but hit higher. Maybe its cause I'm higher range, though (tested it at 91 range). And it was tested with broad bolts, by the way.

Armadyl has an advantage of more defence and more prayer bonus, though. And it can easily be changed up for tanking as well. For tanking with Void, the only options you really have to change are boots and shield. But when it comes down to it, when you're able to use it efficiently, I'm sure void is the best option.

This is really a great guide, though. It's about time someone made one.

EDIT: You shouldn't need a verac's skirt for dagganoths. I'd say switch the shield for spirit shield if anything, but I've done dagannoths at the lighthouse on a pure before at 10 defence -- the only ones that really can hurt are the meleers.

There are like 3 safespots in the chaos tunnels for gargoyles. I can't take pics and post right now, but I know theres one toward the northeast side (between 2 bushes), 1 somewhere in the southwest, and I believe theres a safespot if you stand between the two mushrooms north of the rope.

It would probably be best to range goraks in GWD -- theres loads of safespots for them there. Or you can kill them while they're fighting :P

And why is theo praying mage against a mithril dragon when ranging.. range pray would be a lot more efficient I'm sure. You've got plenty of mage defence... why not use it?

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

I got 99 range via slayer and this guide is very accurate to what i did on most tasks too. However i think you do bring to many range pots in some of your inventorys. Another point may be to include the 10 % range prayer? It really does speed up tasks and isnt too much of a drain on p pots.

But overall a very nice guide. Slayer is the best way to get range levels :D

And on the void debate , void provides more exp past 90 or so range, apart from on metal drags where armadyl or black d hide completly own it.

s652yx.jpg

I know that Void does not hit mroe accurately for a fact but I do agree on the hits now. ::'

Safespotting at the Choas tunnels is just so complicated that I don't reccomend it since they're agressive for a while. I'll check out the one between the two bushes though. :)

And I'll be the first to admit that my Mithril Dragon and Gorak sections are probably sub-par. I'm not expierienced in either of those. Sorry. :-#

But as for Goraks in the GWD, occasionally you'll lose half the exp because something else was attacking it so I don't reccomend that.

And yeah, my range pots are probably a bit too much. But i went on the premises that 3 pure sets last a task so ~6 range pots would last the same. Better too many than too little. <3:

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

The safespot for waterfiends requires you to melee until they're unnagressive, since this is only ranging, I decided not to put that in.

And I can't think of a safespot for CT nechs, especially one that would block both the nech and the death spawns.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

The safespot for waterfiends requires you to melee until they're unnagressive, since this is only ranging, I decided not to put that in.

And I can't think of a safespot for CT nechs, especially one that would block both the nech and the death spawns.

It's not really required, just faster and you take less damage... like every other non-safespot.

inuyashakent-2.png

It's not really required, just faster and you take less damage... like every other non-safespot.

I was thinking of that. But if you were to range upclose until they'e unnagressive then you would need 2 different sets of gear. Seems like wasted inventory space.

And sure, toast.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

I was thinking of that. But if you were to range upclose until they'e unnagressive then you would need 2 different sets of gear. Seems like wasted inventory space.

And sure, toast.

No you wouldn't. You stock up on Mage def when tanking, and Mage def = Range bonus. Unholy shield = Pray bonus with no mage def.

inuyashakent-2.png