Range Haters United!

Danno385

Well this is not much of a rant but I thought people (like me) would like a place to post about our hates of the range skill, rangers, or anything within the TIF rules.

I for one hate ranging. I hate that people with bows are fast. I mean does it make sence? I have a Battleaxe so all I have to do is lift it and then hit the dang thing! Rangers have to get the arrow in place, pull back, aim and fire. This does not apply to magic because in magic all you have to do is aim and do the magical thought thing.

Also I hate many rangers. Not all rangers some are nice people. But I hate the ones that think they can take 2 monsters at the same time going back and forth with each arrow. I have this experince like many at the moss giants on crandor. I think there should be a 10 second wait until you can switch monsters unless another one is atacking you.

EDIT: this was once the home to false information. Please disregard it.

The last thing I don't like is training range. It is absolutly no fun at all. Standing behind bars or across a stream hitting 1-4 for 40 levels is not my idea of fun. At under level 20 magic you can already hit 8+ and with melee atleast you see your max hit go up slowly but surly!

So Please. Don't post if you are going to critasize this post because thats not this is for. I don't want people atacking people with other opinions. Start another post for that.

What I do want from you is if you hate range blow off some steam about it! Say you hate ranging or rangers or whatever you hate about the skill! I do not want this to be set up into a campaign to get rid of the skill or a reform of it. I just want to see what people do not like about the skill!

So have fun and remember mods will delete your post or ban you or lock this topic so stay within forum rules!

EDIT:I sorta like range now. Started mageing and its not that awsome. Still hate range compared to mage or melee. Lol this topic is so messed up.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, everyone's got their own style of playing. I for one don't mind rangers too much. However, there are a couple of things they do that tick me off (at least a little...)

1. They seem to have priority when attacking monsters. Like, if a mage, a meleer, and a ranger all click on the same monster at the same time, the ranger will get it first. At least that's what it seems like.

2. They hide behind rocks so bigger monsters can't attack them, then attack two or three monsters at a time, not allowing others to get a chance to slay their own monster. (Monster hogging is so unpolite :shame: )

3. Considering that they have to get an arrow out, nock it, pull back, aim, and fire, they have insanely fast hit speed.

Other that, I guess I really don't care. But number two is what really makes me mad. What, one monster not good enough for you? You have to steal other people's kill (and therefore time) too? Whatever happened to being considerate and sharing? :x

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

Well this is not much of a rant but I thought people (like me) would like a place to post about our hates of the range skill, rangers, or anything within the TIF rules.
Fair enough.

I for one hate ranging. I hate that people with bows are fast. I mean does it make sence? I have a Battleaxe so all I have to do is lift it and then hit the dang thing! Rangers have to get the arrow in place, pull back, aim and fire. This does not apply to magic because in magic all you have to do is aim and do the magical thought thing.

Fair point - in real life, a bow takes a fair bit of time to prepare and shoot. Throwing knives can be fast, though. Then again, how many people do you know in real life that can cast magic spells?

Also I hate many rangers. Not all rangers some are nice people. But I hate the ones that think they can take 2 monsters at the same time going back and forth with each arrow. I have this experince like many at the moss giants on crandor. I think there should be a 10 second wait until you can switch monsters unless another one is atacking you.

I hate many meleers too. Taking 2 monsters is annoying, I agree. The 10 second wait shouldn't be in place though; it's kind of a 'deal with it' thing.

Another thing I do not like is the intelegance level of some rangers. They buy the nice range armour and then hide behind rocks. What!?!?!?!? Why buy it? It does not increase your range atack and it does not decrease it. Realy it is just more of a risk because if by some off chance you die you will have lost more items. Hey rangers guess what? Don't buy it! Or if you are a cooler ranger with a defence level where it and go fight the monster like a man!

Here's where your rant starts breaking down. Range armor does increase your range attack bonus - and why bother standing out where you can get hit if you don't need to? It's the same sort of illogical thinking against farcasting, complete with the usual retort of 'fight like a man'

The last thing I don't like is training range. It is absolutly no fun at all. Standing behind bars or across a stream hitting 1-4 for 40 levels is not my idea of fun. At under level 20 magic you can already hit 8+ and with melee atleast you see your max hit go up slowly but surly!

Melee and range have similar max hits with common training weapons, at least in the lower levels. And your max hit goes up slowly but 'surly' with range too? :shock:

So Please. Don't post if you are going to critasize this post because thats not this is for. I don't want people atacking people with other opinions. Start another post for that.

Actually, that is what this is for. Just as you are welcome to post detailing your dislike of range, I can post about why I think you are wrong.

What I do want from you is if you hate range blow off some steam about it! Say you hate ranging or rangers or whatever you hate about the skill! I do not want this to be set up into a campaign to get rid of the skill or a reform of it. I just want to see what people do not like about the skill!

That's not a thread, that's a cult. People are free to post their opinions, even if they differ from yours.

So have fun and remember mods will delete your post or ban you or lock this topic so stay within forum rules!

No worries there.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

1. They seem to have priority when attacking monsters. Like, if a mage, a meleer, and a ranger all click on the same monster at the same time, the ranger will get it first. At least that's what it seems like.

Not a chance; it's whoever's signal for 'attack' gets to the game's server first. That has to do with factors like internet speed and network latency; the ranger\magers do have an advantage in that they won't have to dance around with the monster should they be incorrectly positioned.

2. They hide behind rocks so bigger monsters can't attack them, then attack two or three monsters at a time, not allowing others to get a chance to slay their own monster. (Monster hogging is so unpolite :shame: )

Very true, but not to many rangers do that - and magers can do it as well. Just hope they lag as their monsters are just over half HP, so you can steal and get the drops. I don't see this happening too much, though - not as many people use safespots since accumulators came out.

3. Considering that they have to get an arrow out, nock it, pull back, aim, and fire, they have insanely fast hit speed.

Realism coming into play, good point - crossbows in RL can't be used one handed, but they are slower. Thrown axes and throwing knives are at least a bit realistic. Of course, who can fit 2.2 billion arrows in their backpack? (Or cannonballs, for that matter).

Other that, I guess I really don't care. But number two is what really makes me mad. What, one monster not good enough for you? You have to steal other people's kill (and therefore time) too? Whatever happened to being considerate and sharing? :x
They both went down the toilet several minutes after deviousMUD came out. Like it or not, blame it on skillcapes if you want, but runescape is a competition game - i.e., the goal most of the time is to be better then another player in one way or another.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Then again, how many people do you know in real life that can cast magic spells?

This actually made me laugh. I guess if range can be unrealistic... why not?

Taking 2 monsters is annoying, I agree. The 10 second wait shouldn't be in place though; it's kind of a 'deal with it' thing.

Eh, I don't agree here so much. Everyone should be limited to one monster at a time. If you're melee-ing, you can only have one monster (provided it's not a multicombat zone). Really the only thing that prevents it from happening is the fact that monsters cannot attack back if you're behind a rock or whatever. So because rangers (and mage, for that matter) have "safe spots", they get to attack as many as they want while melee lags behind? That doesn't seem fair. I think the answer is easier than a ten second wait, though: just don't allow people to attack more than one monster at a time.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

They can be annoying and ill mannered, but that's the way that they like to play. Not much you can do about it, though I completely understand the point you are trying to put across.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Eh, I don't agree here so much. Everyone should be limited to one monster at a time. If you're melee-ing, you can only have one monster (provided it's not a multicombat zone). Really the only thing that prevents it from happening is the fact that monsters cannot attack back if you're behind a rock or whatever. So because rangers (and mage, for that matter) have "safe spots", they get to attack as many as they want while melee lags behind? That doesn't seem fair. I think the answer is easier than a ten second wait, though: just don't allow people to attack more than one monster at a time.

How would they do that? If you can only attack one monster at once, there goes multi combat ancients and a cannon. Then you can't switch to another monster when one is redbarred while powertraining. It really makes no sense - but those safespoters have to run out to retrieve arrows and drops sooner or later; it balances out.

They can be annoying and ill mannered, but that's the way that they like to play. Not much you can do about it, though I completely understand the point you are trying to put across.

Are you trying to sterotype rangers for 'stealing two monsters', which very few of us do by now? The same thing could be said about mages and faracsting; an annoying advantage due to the game programing, but one that is simply used to make up for the shortcomings of a class. That doesn't mean that rangers are annoying or ill mannered any more then farcasting does for mages. It's simply an advantage that they (and magers) share.

DeviledEgg24.png

I've never had a problem with either three combat styles, be that if I'm the guy or others are. I compete for monsters, if there aren't any available on that world then I hop. If I don't want to compete, I do something else and come back during less popular playing times. Besides, now you have nearly empty PvP monster hunting spots to use. Now worries. :D

Ewsentinel.png

KoAClan.org for adults

Taking 2 monsters is annoying, I agree. The 10 second wait shouldn't be in place though; it's kind of a 'deal with it' thing.

Actually, I think that we need less Jagex interference, not more. I feel that imposing further restrictions on the game does it a disservice and does not improve the game.

Ewsentinel.png

KoAClan.org for adults

One thing you have to understand is my opinion is based on what I see, and if you look at my sig, I'm pure f2p. As in, I have never been a member. Therefore, I don't know about cannons and multicombat ancients. I'm just saying for f2p, it's very annoying and I can't think of a good reason to keep it the way it is. For members it might be different.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

One thing you have to understand is my opinion is based on what I see, and if you look at my sig, I'm pure f2p. As in, I have never been a member. Therefore, I don't know about cannons and multicombat ancients. I'm just saying for f2p, it's very annoying and I can't think of a good reason to keep it the way it is. For members it might be different.

I can see how that would limit your perspective - range and magic are very very limited in FTP. Still, I think it's a good thing - range and mage could certainly use it in FTP :|

DeviledEgg24.png

These are some good points. I will edit my post though because I though that range armour was like melee armour and was only good for defence...

Ah, I wasn't going on a rampage because I thought you might be referring to melee armor, which is a stupid thing for a safespotting ranger to wear :P

Feel free to respond to my points, though; I'd love to get a good argument going.

DeviledEgg24.png

Not a chance; it's whoever's signal for 'attack' gets to the game's server first. That has to do with factors like internet speed and network latency; the ranger\magers do have an advantage in that they won't have to dance around with the monster should they be incorrectly positioned.

Not entirely true. It's a combination of clicking speed, Internet speed, weapon speed.

Take this example:

We have two identical computers with the same Internet connection in the same house (Provided that this was allowed by Jagex of course) and both have bots running RS with precise timing to click on a monster spawn at the exact same time. One bot is using a battle axe whereas the other is using a shortbow on rapid. The archer will always win. Using the weapon speeds given in the RS KB, the same could be said of pretty much any two weapons.

To bring this example to the extreme, would it make sense if a guy with a barrelchest anchor beat another guy with knives just because his Internet was slightly faster?

Feel free to respond to my points, though; I'd love to get a good argument going.

You want an argument? Okay - your ideas stink and you have no idea what ur talking about!

What? Oh, sorry, misread that... by argument, I thought you meant "flame war"... :oops: Just kidding about the above, just so you know.

To what the poster above me said, I always thought that was true. I have a pretty decent and fast internet connection, but when I go to kill hill giants, rangers always beat me to the punch.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Not entirely true. It's a combination of clicking speed, Internet speed, weapon speed.

Take this example:

We have two identical computers with the same Internet connection in the same house (Provided that this was allowed by Jagex of course) and both have bots running RS with precise timing to click on a monster spawn at the exact same time. One bot is using a battle axe whereas the other is using a shortbow on rapid. The archer will always win. Using the weapon speeds given in the RS KB, the same could be said of pretty much any two weapons.

To bring this example to the extreme, would it make sense if a guy with a barrelchest anchor beat another guy with knives just because his Internet was slightly faster?

Wrong. As soon as the signal hits the server for 'attack', and if the meleer is in position, whoever gets there first wins. What matters is when the 'attack' signal gets there, not when the weapon animation finishes - the speeds in the KB only indicate how long of a delay there is between attacks. The only reason a ranger might seem to unfairly 'win' is if his bow has a long animation, so his arrow does not hit the monster for a short time after he has attacked; he still clicked first.

DeviledEgg24.png

I'll take compfreak's as my baseline.Due to laziness my comments are in red.

Fair enough.

Can't dispute this.=D

Fair point - in real life, a bow takes a fair bit of time to prepare and shoot. Throwing knives can be fast, though. Then again, how many people do you know in real life that can cast magic spells?

In real life,considering the design of the weapons,most weapons would be two-handers...

I hate many meleers too. Taking 2 monsters is annoying, I agree. The 10 second wait shouldn't be in place though; it's kind of a 'deal with it' thing.

Meh I hate many people.Can't dispute this though.

Another thing I do not like is the intelegance level of some rangers. They buy the nice range armour and then hide behind rocks. What!?!?!?!? Why buy it? It does not increase your range atack and it does not decrease it. Realy it is just more of a risk because if by some off chance you die you will have lost more items. Hey rangers guess what? Don't buy it! Or if you are a cooler ranger with a defence level where it and go fight the monster like a man!

Here's where your rant starts breaking down. Range armor does increase your range attack bonus - and why bother standing out where you can get hit if you don't need to? It's the same sort of illogical thinking against farcasting, complete with the usual retort of 'fight like a man'

True,true.Fight like a man so you can die? :roll:

Melee and range have similar max hits with common training weapons, at least in the lower levels. And your max hit goes up slowly but 'surly' with range too? :shock:

At medium levels too I notice I take the same time to kill a monster.When I was noobier and used a Rune Scimitar I took the same time as I do now with an MSB.Same levels,just different reqs.

Actually, that is what this is for. Just as you are welcome to post detailing your dislike of range, I can post about why I think you are wrong.

That's not a thread, that's a cult. People are free to post their opinions, even if they differ from yours.

:D

No worries there.

They delete posts!? -.- They don't ban unnesemasarily either.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Out of curiosity, compfreak, are you a ranger? Because you sure seem to want to defend them... :D

Like I said before, I've got an pretty fast internet. Can you think of a good reason why rangers always get the monster before me? (other than they are faster clickers... it should be about 50/50, if accurate) And by always, I mean about 90% of the time, at least.

Unless my internet is a lot slower than I thought...

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Out of curiosity, compfreak, are you a ranger? Because you sure seem to want to defend them... :D

Like I said before, I've got an pretty fast internet. Can you think of a good reason why rangers always get the monster before me? (other than they are faster clickers... it should be about 50/50, if accurate) And by always, I mean about 90% of the time, at least.

Unless my internet is a lot slower than I thought...

Stats in sig. I'm fairly balanced. (almost) 92 summoning, 99 magic, 95 range, (almost) 97 attack\98 strength\97 defence.

I don't really favor one combat class over another; I use all of them to my advantage, especially in clan wars. However, I disagree with the 'points' in this post - and have stated my opinions and reasons as such. And 'pretty fast internet' is relative - what's your ping latency? A good connection should be in the 50 millisecond range or lower; far lower then the average human reaction time. Therefore it mostly comes down to clicking speed, plus the fact that meleers have to be exactly positioned so that they don't have to dance or run to hit the monster. If you really want to complain about this, you should be complaining about magers, who can 1 click high level monsters.

DeviledEgg24.png

Not complaining, just curious. And as far as "ping latency" goes...

I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

Hey, my biggest complaint is the multi-monster thing, which does seem to be on the decline.

I might be a little more for rangers if my ranging was higher... I've been playing for five years and it's only twelve. hehe

This was a good argument, with rational points. Tip.It is the only place you can find those.

This is Mage Xy, signing off. ;)

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Wrong. As soon as the signal hits the server for 'attack', and if the meleer is in position, whoever gets there first wins. What matters is when the 'attack' signal gets there, not when the weapon animation finishes - the speeds in the KB only indicate how long of a delay there is between attacks. The only reason a ranger might seem to unfairly 'win' is if his bow has a long animation, so his arrow does not hit the monster for a short time after he has attacked; he still clicked first.

Ok. So let's take it from a melee stand point. Would it make sense if the bots were on the same square and the barrelchest anchor would beat a dagger?

The only reason a ranger might seem to unfairly 'win' is if his bow has a long animation, so his arrow does not hit the monster for a short time after he has attacked; he still clicked first.

I can see what you're trying to argue here, but don't see the relevance. There have been cases where a meleer and ranger are standing 1 square away from a monster spawn, but the ranger's animation starts first. I never brought up the arrow travel time. There has to be more to the whole Internet latency argument.

Not complaining, just curious. And as far as "ping latency" goes...

I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

Ping latency, the time it takes for your computer to communicate with a specific server on the internet. Measured in milliseconds, or 1/1,000th of a second. 50 milliseconds is .05 seconds - far faster then the average human reaction, which is anywhere from .25-.75 - hence internet connection speed is of less importance then reaction speed.

Hey, my biggest complaint is the multi-monster thing, which does seem to be on the decline.

I've almost never experienced it, besides one time when I was getting annoyed by a meleer, so I hid behind the nearest fence and stole 3 yaks at once with bronze knives. Bad deal for me, though - I either had to waste money on knives or waste time running around to pick them up. I just did that until he hopped, then went back to normal killing. I call it one of the perks of range training.

I might be a little more for rangers if my ranging was higher... I've been playing for five years and it's only twelve. hehe

Yeah... Training it might help give perspective.

This was a good argument, with rational points. Tip.It is the only place you can find those.

It was a decent argument, but Tip.it is far from being the only place. Zybez is OK, as is the RSOF if you can filter out the 'one post and leave' type posters. Tip.it used to be more valid points, less personal attacks\opinions a few years ago, as we've grown we've lost some of that :|

This is Mage Xy, signing off. ;)

That's it? No final argument? :P

DeviledEgg24.png

Ok. So let's take it from a melee stand point. Would it make sense if the bots were on the same square and the barrelchest anchor would beat a dagger?
Yes, it would. As soon as your animation starts, you have that monster.

I can see what you're trying to argue here, but don't see the relevance. There have been cases where a meleer and ranger are standing 1 square away from a monster spawn, but the ranger's animation starts first. I never brought up the arrow travel time. There has to be more to the whole Internet latency argument.
That's my entire point. The kill is decided before anyone hits or any animations start. If the meleer wins, he beings to go through his whole 'anchor attack' animation. If the ranger wins, he begins his 'pull out the arrow and notch the bow' animation. If a meleer with an anchor gets the 'attack' signal into the server first, he will beat someone with a dd++ - even though it may take a second or longer for him to hit after the animation, and the person with the dagger may click attack in that time. There isn't more to the 'internet latency'; whoever clicks first gets that monster, as long as they can hit them from where they are standing. The 'illusion' of a ranger getting the monster after you hit is due to latency in your connection watching the ranger, the distance the ranger's arrow has to travel (although the timed hit is still the same), and the time it takes for the 'notch the bow and shoot' animation. Jagex has programed in animations as an afterthought; it's the same way with an AGS, you might miss the whole 'jump and dance' animation if you are hit just after you start it - but your hit will still register. Same goes for healing with a non-combat summon scroll while in combat - you might time it so that you jump up with the scroll animation so that only the hit on the opponent registers, and not your animation - but the hit will still register. The game is programed based on timings and hits; animations are simply layered on top of that.

*Reads thread title*

I might kill you.

Far be it from me to be a 'wannabe mod' (although, technically, I am), but could you please keep on topic and leave personal opinions out of this?

DeviledEgg24.png