science and runescape

dragon246665

Im pretty sure mithril is a real metal.

Mithril is not a real metal. As far as I know the first use of mithril (first mention in literature) is J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series. In Lord of the Rings, mithril is a silvery metal, harder than tempered steel but much lighter. It looks much the same as silver, but never tarnishes. It was said to be about as workable as copper (which you would think is a contradiction, but I belived this refers to mithril in a state before the dwarves turn it into the metal mithril).

Adamant comes from teh greek word adamas (untameable). If you look up teh meaning you get this (or some varriation):

adjective

1. utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urgings, etc.

2. too hard to cut, break, or pierce.

noun

3. any impenetrably or unyieldingly hard substance.

4. a legendary stone of impenetrable hardness, formerly sometimes identified with the diamond.

To be adamant about something means you are sure of yourself, unyeilding in your opionion, and stubborn. Easily described as 'stead fast'. Something (as opposed to someone) that is adamant would be the noun meaning, essentialy very hard (note that hard and strong not not synonomus. A dimond may be the hardest substance on earth, yet dimond is shattered easily enough).

Again. MITHRIL IS NOT A REAL METAL!

According to wikipedia: (yes I know it can be wrong, but for casual things like this it tends to be okay)

Mithril is a fictional metal from J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth fantasy writings. It is silvery and stronger than steel but much lighter in weight. The author first wrote of it in The Lord of the Rings, and it was retrospectively mentioned[1] in the second, revised edition of The Hobbit in 1966. In the first 1937 edition, the mail shirt given to Bilbo was described as being made of "silvered steel".[1]

In The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien writes that mithril was found only in Khazad-dûm (Moria) in Middle-earth, where it was mined by the Dwarves. However, in Unfinished Tales he writes that it was also found in Númenor.

In essence what he ^ said.

how many runescapers does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the lightbulb and the rest to complain about how the first one was better

There are lots of bad people in the world, but they're like slinkies; you can have so much fun pushing them down two flights of stairs...

Arigorn_380.png

My previous acount, 'WeirdAl_fan' was unable to be recovered after the crash...

in school this week we started learing about light and the electromagnetic spactrum, what does this have to do with runescape? well...

at castle wars ever notice how, when looking directly at them, the portals from left to right are red green blue. Red is the lowest factor on the visible spectrum with longer wave lengths. green has slightly shorter wavelengths and is right smack dab in the middle of the spectrum and lastly blue, it isn't the absolute highest of the spectrum but its only competitor is purple but all in all higher then green and red.

theres not much to discuse here, just thought I might point it out

Do keep in mind that when the colors are in order it looks naturally harmonious, ignoring the gods and the symbolic location of the portals they'd still probably be placed in this order because it would just look right to the developer.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

look at my post I already did. (and so did randox ((maybe)) I dunno)

how many runescapers does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the lightbulb and the rest to complain about how the first one was better

There are lots of bad people in the world, but they're like slinkies; you can have so much fun pushing them down two flights of stairs...

Arigorn_380.png

My previous acount, 'WeirdAl_fan' was unable to be recovered after the crash...

I may be wrong but I always thought it was real, ive heard in History class once or twice that some guy or some group used mithril weapons, or atleast i thought i did.

Imagoogleit.

maybe in ancient history, such as myths and legends

Mithril is not real

it is silver tempered to be resistant to magic, in most fictional references, although sometimes just silver tempered to be stronger and possess magical properties ::'

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

actually an article I read said that a metal with similar attributes of J.R.R's fictional metal had been created in a lab. The problem, it contained too high amounts of uranium to ever be utilised in modern society and the pricetag of this strange slightly above standard strength metal, roughly 900 dollars a pound more then the value of all its materials put together

Rejected.jpg

Right, well unless it's called mithril, it's still not a real metal.

Right, well unless it's called mithril, it's still not a real metal.

There could have been a metal called mithril that was renamed in later centuries... Or it could have all been used up. After all they might have heard a theory that 'mithril' used to exist but doesn't anymore. It's like the big bang theory or the theory of evolution. You can say it all you like, you have no way to test it. Just leaving you to wonder.

There is no known metal or alloy with the properties generaly attributed to mithril. About the closent thing I can think of off the top of my head is Titanium. Titanium is as stong as many steel alloys, about 50-60% hevier than aluminum (I don't rember, I think it's 60 though), but over twoce as stong as aluminum. Titanium is silver in colour and extremly resistant to corrosion (including salt water and chlorine). Titanium is often alloyed with the metals alluminum, vanadium, and molybdenum, all of which are also silvery metals (all being metalic) and so produce silvery alloys. These are charecteristics of mithril as well. A final charecteristic of mithril is being easily shapped. Titanium shares this property too. In an oxygen free enviroment titanium is incredbly ductile (I don't know the exact method, I only know that oxygen free enviroment is needed, I suspect it is heating the metal in oxygen free enviroment that makes it ductile). Lightweight, incredibly strong, ductile, silver in colour, does not tarnish. All charecteristics of J.R.R. Tolkiens mithril. All charecteristics of Titanium. Titanium is also highly heat resistant and oddly a poor conductor of heat and electricity (this could arguably be magic resistance). I would say that mithril may not exist, but it is probably a representation of the element Titanium or another mettalic mettale with similar properties (though I think in this case Titanium is it).

Mithril = Titanium?

There is no known metal or alloy with the properties generaly attributed to mithril. About the closent thing I can think of off the top of my head is Titanium. Titanium is as stong as many steel alloys, about 50-60% hevier than aluminum (I don't rember, I think it's 60 though), but over twoce as stong as aluminum. Titanium is silver in colour and extremly resistant to corrosion (including salt water and chlorine). Titanium is often alloyed with the metals alluminum, vanadium, and molybdenum, all of which are also silvery metals (all being metalic) and so produce silvery alloys. These are charecteristics of mithril as well. A final charecteristic of mithril is being easily shapped. Titanium shares this property too. In an oxygen free enviroment titanium is incredbly ductile (I don't know the exact method, I only know that oxygen free enviroment is needed, I suspect it is heating the metal in oxygen free enviroment that makes it ductile). Lightweight, incredibly strong, ductile, silver in colour, does not tarnish. All charecteristics of J.R.R. Tolkiens mithril. All charecteristics of Titanium. Titanium is also highly heat resistant and oddly a poor conductor of heat and electricity (this could arguably be magic resistance). I would say that mithril may not exist, but it is probably a representation of the element Titanium or another mettalic mettale with similar properties (though I think in this case Titanium is it).

Mithril = Titanium?

Man I'm laughing right now at the amount of people who think mithril is real :lol:

But this sounds plausible.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

I honestly just think that it is a coincidence (You spell it like that :P?), but you never know with Jagex, do you? Perhaps they all are proffesors in physics, really?

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

both mithril and adamant are "stolen" from lord of the rings ;)

Yes, adamant aswell.. if you've been reading the book thouroughly (sp?) you'd know that king Elessars crown is made of mithril AND adamant and I believe that's the only time the word adamant is ever mentioned in the book ;)

tipitsignature134jg0.jpg