Runescape being of use in real life.

Way way long ago (5 years) I had a question asking about what Steel was made of, and I answered Iron and Coal =).

It's also helped me in little things such as different types of trees, different fishes and many many economical things such as saving money and not overspending.

Stellactic.gif

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape helping in real life is like a myth. You'd all like to believe that its true, but remains that you'd probably learn more in 3 hours of watching the food network than you would in a lifetime of RS. :P

And steel is not made out of coal and iron @__@ It's made out of 98% iron and 2% carbon or less. The RS recipe for steel is messed up.

2480+ total

Runescape helping in real life is like a myth. You'd all like to believe that its true, but remains that you'd probably learn more in 3 hours of watching the food network than you would in a lifetime of RS. :P

And steel is not made out of coal and iron @__@ It's made out of 98% iron and 2% carbon or less. The RS recipe for steel is messed up.

Would you infact watch the food network for 3 hours than play runescape?

d6e4cdbc5e.png

You could do both...

To the poster of "*cough* and for rune you need 8 coal *cough*".... LOL!

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

Actually, yes XD

2480+ total

Well...Runescape taught me how to punch cows j/k

Seriously though it taught me back when I was in school about smelting tin and copper to make bronze, about various armor types and the advantages of them. (I actually got a trivia question right at a state tournament because of RS. The question was what metallic armor rangers frequently wore in times of war to cover their torso.) As well, it has boosted my creativity in terms of getting some hard tasks accomplished by looking at my assets (or bank on RS) and figuring out how I can use what I have to get whatever needs to be done.

Oh, and because of RS I knew what a Christmas cracker was (before reading the Harry Potter books) and got another trivia tournament question right due to it.

captain_poet.png

I think that RuneScape has taught me some useful facts, but it also made me worse at typing correctly. Being from Sweden, I have to type some words spelled incorrectly on purpose just because the original words get blocked by the filter. Some examples are "[bleep]" (end), "bra" (good) and "fick" (got). I have to type "slouth", "b4r4" and "fhick" instead. I often find myself saying the incorrectly spelled versions on Im applications where there are no filters whatsoever.

Also, when i Started playing RS, you were unable to type å, ä and ö. But after the engine update (just before POHs came), JaGEx changed this, and I'm so thankful they did. I don't want to think about what would happen otherwise.

Got fire cape at the 17th of June 2006

Abyssal whip drops: 6

Maybe going off the subject a tad here.

But a boy in America played WoW, and he was attacked by a giant bear, he mimiced the move 'Faint Death' (or something, pretended to die) the bear thought he was dead and walked away. Said that the game saved his life, what do ya know.

kawtsanimesignature.png

emot-siren.gifWarning: Nerd Alertemot-siren.gif

Steel is created by combining iron ore, coke, and limestone. Coke comes from coking coals, that is crushed and washed, then carbonised in coking ovens to remove byproducts.

The ingrediants are then fed into a blast furnace, where the coke burns producing carbon monoxide, removing the oxygen from the iron and turning it into pure liquid. The iron is then removed and taken to another furnace where it is infused with 99% pure oxygen, more limestone, and steel scrap. This oxidises the impurities and leaves you with almost pure liquid steel.

emot-eng101.png

Maybe going off the subject a tad here.

But a boy in America played WoW, and he was attacked by a giant bear, he mimiced the move 'Faint Death' (or something, pretended to die) the bear thought he was dead and walked away. Said that the game saved his life, what do ya know.

Also; Grand Theft Auto helped save a life. A family was driving in their vehicle when they got into an accident, flipping the vehicle with the family inside. The preteen daughter, who was a fan of Grand Theft Auto, recognized that cars can explode when flipped, and was able to get her family safetly out of the vehicle.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I found back when I was at school that RS interfered with my school work in a big way.

However, with RL personal relationships I think it's helped me no end. I've played with my cousin for almost 8 years - before we started playing we were like most normal siblings of around the same age and fought like cat and dog. After a few months of having a shared interest we became best friends and it's stayed that way since.

For the people who made fun out of the guy who said that RS taught him alot about the US economy, I suggest you take a look at how your government (or the priv company that is the Fed) create your money and then tell me how Jagex/RS is any different. :)

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

I'm actually a proper researcher (research biologist).

What I learned from Runescape is to cope with the daily grind of doing research. Lots and lots of repetitive work without an immediate reward. In fact you could do a project for a year or more and never see the proper result. Ever since I started playing runescape I started to deal better with this aspect of doing research.

I actually noticed that I am nowadays better at this boring work than my colleagues.

Of course there is the little conundrum whether I would have learned to deal with the repetition without runescape? Or is it that I actually like the repetition of runescape because that's what I do on a daily basis at work anyway?

I will never know.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Of course there is the little conundrum whether I would have learned to deal with the repetition without runescape? Or is it that I actually like the repetition of runescape because that's what I do on a daily basis at work anyway?

I will never know.

I often wonder what I would be like as a person if I hadn't learned the same skills from RS. Am I 'me' because of RS or inspite of RS? :o

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

I have learnt to type and spell better english. I have learnt how you cook some things. I have learnt a lot about smithing/mining. I have learnt how to merchant.

I have learnt lots about a lot of different things from RS actually which will, have and is useful for me IRL.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

actually, i have been using many shortcuts in typing while playing rs (e.g.- "u", "r", "nvm"), and i ended up doing that while writing essays. one of my friends copied a storyline from one of the quests and turned it into an essay, handed it in and got an F because apparently our teacher played runescape and remembers that storyline.....

one time it has helped me was in understanding how global warming could possibly affect the entire world on a large scale (Perils of Ice Mountain).

ooo another time was when i was stuck on a poem idea, i wrote a poem about the storyline of the last halloween event. (since it wasnt a poem OF the 07 halloween event, but ABOUT the 07 hween event, it not plagiarism, but just in case, i wrote in teeny tiny letters Jagex Ltd.*so the teacher wouldn't notice*)

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png

RuneScape helped me in alot IQ tests (ETC. what's used in glass) because of RS i am now 20(Don't know correct) IQ points more than i should be \'

not to be like a :ugeek: jerk or a smart @$$, but there is actually no such thing as an official "IQ Test"(that will tell you your REAL IQ) that would contain that question because first off, your intelligence quotient is not what you know, but the capacity you have to learn. So, a "perfect/official" IQ Test should contain no words, trivial questions, compare and contrast objections, differences, etc.

99.9% of the IQ Tests you see on the internet or teen/videogame/non-sciency-geeky-nerdy magazines will be biased in many many ways. Have you heard the term "You are Left(or right) brained"? well there is a science behind this figure of speech. your left brain contains your logical thinking, you analyze things, and you look at parts of a whole instead of the entire picture. your left brain is sorta the opposite-very technical, or "random", u combine information "synthesize" them, and you look at something as whole. So if you try to ask a question such as which does not belong, and u have 4 different pictures, well a right brained person can choose a different answer than a left brained person, and one will be wrong because the person who created the test would intend the answer to be something else.

usually you take an "official" government IQ Test when you are in Kindergarten or 1st grade, and you probably will not take another one in your entire life. This is because its very unlikely to have your IQ change more than 20 pts unless you get a sever brain damage or you are scientifically intelligently enhanced with "brain steroids" or something.

IQ-how much you can learn. Based on given pictures and information, using prior knowledge, how can u interpret it to decide or come to a conclusion of what it is the purpose of what you are trying to understand. Knowing what is used in glass would probably be in a science or trivia test, but would not be in an IQ Test because unless everyone in the world somehow gained this knowledge right when they where born, then not many people would know the answer unless they read a book. You can get straight F's on your report card, yet still have a higher IQ then someone with straight A's.

..........*ahem*, cough cough, -Thank you for reading and listening to my lecture, have a nice day- =P =D> :thumbsup: :lol: :thumbup:

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png

Beethovens29 is totally correct. You don't increase your capacity for knowledge by having more. The only things that you can truly put on an IQ test would be logic and math, which isn't even truly IQ, but we need to test on something, eh?

I shudder to imagine a true test score being boosted, especially that much, because of what we've learned on RuneScape. Most of the community actually lowers your IQ.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

Well, my maths were already very good when I started playing RS.

What I learned mostly from RS whas English. I'm from the Netherlands, and when I started playing RS years ago, I didn't knew a single :-# word of English. Also my typing is a lot faster nowadays.

Oh, and I scored higher with Economy because all that stuff like inflation in RS and such :thumbsup:

Detrumi.png

Detrumi.png