The Animal Mask Crash

totalpwnage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this crash is really surprising, just yesterday people were buying masks for 10m-20m if you had junk, Me having luckily bought a Penguin and Sheep mask off of GE a week ago I was really happy that if I ever get that much junk, I could get a lot of free cash, but now that masks don't even sell for min.. well.. :wall:

First top hats, dragon full helm, animal masks, what is next 3rd age?

Kuja_Cocoa.png

You really think acidy did that? Or even less probably, his chat? They failed buying out super strength potions - they're not going to be able to buy out masks.

I've seen people trading orange boaters for top hats on the RSOF (they were offering the tops). I don't understand this stuff. And this was during the recent price bump for top hats.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Supply got too big and they were no longer viable for junk trading and RWTing.

Eventually, spririt shields and 3rd age will too.

They should have added 3rd age along with spirit shields to PVP drops like the DFH.

Anything in short supply with decent demand in the game is being abused horriblely.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

They should have added 3rd age along with spirit shields to PVP drops like the DFH.

Anything in short supply with decent demand in the game is being abused horriblely.

DFH drop in PvP is confirmed as a bug.

DFH drop in PvP is confirmed as a bug.

It was a miscommunication. :-#

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

My guess is that the mass hysteria associated with having a mask finally died down, so it's resetting to its "natural" price. Don't think that those items will stay high forever - the best comparison to this is God armor.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

just so you know this is nothing compared to the proce of party hats dropping every single day for the past month. i bought mine for 207,500,000 which was the same it was about a year ago when i quit and now its worth 152m-154m which is alot more of a crash if you ask me.

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

Ok, here is my 3 cents worth of thoughts. ( im f2p btw so dont blame me if i say something wrongly )

I feel that the cause of this thing is due to 2 deadly sins of human beings, FEAR and GREED.

When the mask came out, everyone thought that 'hey, its a rare item maybe i can make some money out of it!'. In this case, the intial excitement together with the desire to be one of the first few to get these mask drives up the demand for it. As a result, the prices of the masks shot up greatly and were being used by merchants to junk trade. The prices did not stop rising due to the GREED of the people who felt that they could still get a profit out of it. Eventually, the price rose so much that the demand for it drop drastically. The animal mask was like an big ticking time bomb. It could explode any moment and all that was required was a starter. This starter is called FEAR. All human beings, by nature, love money and the thought of losing a part of their hard earned money scared the hell out of them. When they saw the sudden drop in price and their inability to sell it even at a low price, the thought of losing money in something so useless was unbearable. Panic ensured and this FEAR for the loss of money spread like wildfire and eventually, the entire demand for the animal mask was wiped out in a matter of hours.

To conclude, i feel that to become in a successful merchant/money maker, you have to learn to CONTROL your emotions. Never let them get a hold of you and control you. Dont be greedy, just set a target price to sell or amount to earn and then sell it without regrets. Then, prepare and catch the next wave, do not hold on to whatever that you are doing, hoping to earn more and later regreting about you bad decision. The best merchants/ investors out there are those who control their emotions very well, never letting it control them. Let this be a lesson to be learned for all who have lost money. This lesson can also be applied in real life.

In short, when prices are going up, it is driven by Greed and when they crash, it is driven by Fear.

For all those people who are still struggling to sell their mask or w/e, let me wish you GL ! :thumbsup:

v7hblz.jpg

#3325 to 99 Smithing #4332 to 99 Herblore

Ok, here is my 3 cents worth of thoughts. ( im f2p btw so dont blame me if i say something wrongly )

I feel that the cause of this thing is due to 2 deadly sins of human beings, FEAR and GREED.

When the mask came out, everyone thought that 'hey, its a rare item maybe i can make some money out of it!'. In this case, the intial excitement together with the desire to be one of the first few to get these mask drives up the demand for it. As a result, the prices of the masks shot up greatly and were being used by merchants to junk trade. The prices did not stop rising due to the GREED of the people who felt that they could still get a profit out of it. Eventually, the price rose so much that the demand for it drop drastically. The animal mask was like an big ticking time bomb. It could explode any moment and all that was required was a starter. This starter is called FEAR. All human beings, by nature, love money and the thought of losing a part of their hard earned money scared the hell out of them. When they saw the sudden drop in price and their inability to sell it even at a low price, the thought of losing money in something so useless was unbearable. Panic ensured and this FEAR for the loss of money spread like wildfire and eventually, the entire demand for the animal mask was wiped out in a matter of hours.

To conclude, i feel that to become in a successful merchant/money maker, you have to learn to CONTROL your emotions. Never let them get a hold of you and control you. Dont be greedy, just set a target price to sell or amount to earn and then sell it without regrets. Then, prepare and catch the next wave, do not hold on to whatever that you are doing, hoping to earn more and later regreting about you bad decision. The best merchants/ investors out there are those who control their emotions very well, never letting it control them. Let this be a lesson to be learned for all who have lost money. This lesson can also be applied in real life.

In short, when prices are going up, it is driven by Greed and when they crash, it is driven by Fear.

For all those people who are still struggling to sell their mask or w/e, let me wish you GL ! :thumbsup:

good story (this is also the reason why people with autism are very good inverstors).. Just 1 minor problem: masks weren't high from initial start: it took about 2-3 months before masks started to rise in price! (That's the thing I don't understand about masks: why suddenly it starte to rise).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[hide=salad170 quote]

Thanks A C I D Y for that
[/hide]

A C I D Y had no impact on this I'm pretty sure of it. Masks were rare to find in the GE and I highly doubt they purposely stocked up on masks for many many months and dumped it. They're probably too busy doing other items right now, tbh.

[hide=trembake quote]

[/hide]

3rd age and spirit shields being dropped in PVP?! Dude, hell no. That would be a KILLER to the economy. Regular spirit shields -- maybe. Elysian, Divine, etcetera... god, no. But I NEVER saw masks used for RWT -- I don't even see how its possible.

[hide=Triquos quote]

I think this is a good thing. Too many people have taken advantage of the trade limit and made these invisible price tags on items such as the animal masks, and now that they're falling I think either a new one will pop up (rares maybe?), or the 3rd age will start suffering and coming back down to their original prices

And I hope for everyone's sake it's the 2nd option

[/hide]

If 3rd age falls, you realize party hats will become insanely dead, right? That''s the most likely result. Partyhats will be near impossible to sell. They already are hard -- you need to get an early sell offer in or get 3rd age.

[hide=kudos6969 quote]

just so you know this is nothing compared to the proce of party hats dropping every single day for the past month. i bought mine for 207,500,000 which was the same it was about a year ago when i quit and now its worth 152m-154m which is alot more of a crash if you ask me.

[/hide]

Party hats crashed a long time ago -- Jagex just fixed the GE so that the prices would update even if only one is bought. Thats why they're dropping. But they've been used as junk for a long time.

[hide=pulli23 and eyetouch quote]

good story (this is also the reason why people with autism are very good inverstors).. Just 1 minor problem: masks weren't high from initial start: it took about 2-3 months before masks started to rise in price! (That's the thing I don't understand about masks: why suddenly it starte to rise).

[/hide]

It is a good story and a very good explanation. Masks weren't high from the start? Hmm... thought they were after about a week because they were rare. People with autism being good investors... :-k That's explains someone I know o.o

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

[hide=]

I think this is a good thing. Too many people have taken advantage of the trade limit and made these invisible price tags on items such as the animal masks, and now that they're falling I think either a new one will pop up (rares maybe?), or the 3rd age will start suffering and coming back down to their original prices

And I hope for everyone's sake it's the 2nd option

If 3rd age falls, you realize party hats will become insanely dead, right? That''s the most likely result. Partyhats will be near impossible to sell. They already are hard -- you need to get an early sell offer in or get 3rd age.
[/hide]

Party hats already are dead :roll: sure there are people still buying them, but they're not exactly selling for profit.

My point is if animal masks become dead and unwanted (which could be possible) the only other items that I can think of that people would start to put invisible price tags on would be rares (h'ween masks, p hats etc.) and that would drive the rare market back up, making people want to swap their 3rd age for p hats etc. and make the rs market somewhat how it used to be.

2vuhgcn.png

^I was wondering what would the next item to be sold for ridiculous prices be. I guess that makes sense... But it's quite risky. Buying some Santas now, and selling during Christmas time would already be quite a large profit, but if you're lucky and things turn out to be like you thought they would, then it'll be even larger.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

And soon the partyhats will sky-rocket again :thumbup:

I bought my first Phat for 94,6 millions today \'

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

Treasure Trail items are poison to your wallet, Treasure Trail clues are poison to your time.

Now I'm convinced.