At what level is a skill considered "high"? Combat effects?

Vulxai

Okay, okay-obviously someone needs to provide the REAL answer. Here it is:

Any combat skill over 90 is high.

Any non-combat skill over 80 is high.

Anyone who doesn't agree is a noob!

Wasn't that simple? What more is there to say? :)

n1407864037_168131_4289.jpg

What the heck is a Defense Noob and why is it a bad thing?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the high level in the skill is the level in which remaining levels of said skill become nothing more than an extra level to add to your total.

Skills such as attack, strength, defense, magic, and ranged don't devalue, seeing as they continue to affect your combat performance, e.g. higher magic raises your ability to resist magic attacks.

Skills such as slayer stop at a certain level, seeing as the highest slayer monster requires a level of 90.

lord_ducky15.png

Less than 10k people have it = high skill.

99 attack, defence, strength, hp, range, mage, cooking, wc, fletch, fishing, firemaking

90 pray

87 crafting

85 smithing

88 mining

83 herblore

80 agility

89 thieving

91 slayer

85 farming

80 runecraft

88 hunter

75 con

80 summon

lalalasig2.png

For me, 90+ is high. For any stat. Only thing is, some skills are harder/more expensive to gte high, and thus mor valued.

But still, even at level 90, I think you have like 20% or so of the experience needed for a 99, so it's just an opinion...

It's actually closer to 40% at level 90, and I agree around 90 is high, but it really is a matter of perspective. If your 99 in Fishing, and someone you know is 90, then it will look low by comparision of yourself. If you think back though you might realize that 90 is high.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

try dividing your total by your combat.

17.2 is the balance number, as its the average value if all your skills are the same be it 99, 70 or 50 and so on.

ie mine is 1816/115= 15.79.

this means i am more combat orientated as 15.8<17.2

anything below 17.2 would suggest a combat orientation

anything above 17.2 would suggest a skilling orientation

have a go and let me know what you think to this, personally i think its a better way of seeing how skilled you are as i personally think a more balanced player is a higher player, as it shows skills in all areas of the game, rather than just skilling, or combat.

Off topic:

YOU!! :shame:

You make me look like I'm combat-oriented... :wall: -.-

Cause 1239/81.975=15,114364... :shock:

I hate being combat-oriented so I'm going to hang myself now... -.-

Bye, Bye

Yours,

Seth

On topic, you oughta be ashamed of considered that everthing below 30 isn't high...

P.S.: No need to call the authorities on me (it doesn't matter that you actually don't know who I am), I'll be fine just like last time I hung myself.^^

Name is Seth161991,

Private is always on!

oversized.jpg[/bads]

80+ is high for a skill... doesnt matter what cmb lvl you are.

It's nice to have high lvl's but they, but with high cmb u mostly offended like noob.. like it happens to me

afroman103ow6.jpg

Natural Chemist: To addicting

http://www.naturalchemist.com/?ref=robkuh1990

guideline for me

70+ is good

80+ is high

90+ is very high

99 is awesome

99+ is daft unless your making cash - i dont get wanting 200m cooking exp - (looks at own hp exp and kicks himself for not doing slayer sooner) :wall:

however as its a guideline not a rule theres latitude :roll:

70 could be considered high for a lower lvl who hasnt been playing long - after all with RS lvls are predominantly related to time spent. so for the original example i would have asked the lvl 3 how long they had been playing and perhaps let that influence my response, anyway i doubt i would have got in an argument over it as they were clearly proud of their achievement and should be encouraged - that said i might have if they were rude, theres always two sides after all, even if the person you are arguing with is clearly wrong :twisted:

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

I'd say that the impressiveness of a level depends on the skill in which it's achieved. 99 cooking is not as impressive as 85 slayer, but 85 slayer is not as impressive as 99 runecrafting.

Tbh a lvl 3 with 85 slayer would be much more impressive to me then a lvl 3 with 99 runecrafting.

Yes, because slayer is usually trained by using combat. That's obviously the exception, so either you're unbelievably thick, or you're just trying to annoy me by arguing something which was implied.

Now that I think of it, shouldn't a level 3's noncombat skills be higher than a level 100's anyway? They haven't spent time getting about 13 million total combat experience, so they would have been skilling in that time.

Most level 3's are new players?

That is why pure skillers are supposed to be cool (and once upon a time they were), because level 3's are NOT supposed to have good non combat skills.

A level 3 who has been playing for the same amount of time that the level 100 has. That was also implied. :wall:

guideline for me

70+ is good

80+ is high

90+ is very high

99 is awesome

99+ is daft unless your making cash - i dont get wanting 200m cooking exp - (looks at own hp exp and kicks himself for not doing slayer sooner) :wall:

I'd say that was pretty accurate :)

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I'd say it's up to the person. I don't care if you or anyone else thinks I have high levels or not. If I'm enjoying the game what does it matter? I'll get these so called 'high' levels later.

As for combat effecting it, I don't really say it does make much of a difference with most skills. There's plenty of places to train most skills without needing any sort of combat.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I would say level 85+ is very high in some skills, such as mining/rc/slayer. But 90+ for most the others.

although 90% of the skill stops at level 70 in most skills, hardly worth training higher unless you enjoy it/ want a skillcape.

Touch Me

man_ov_milk.png

To me, "high" level is defined by how you train it. To me, someone with 85 fletching who cut all the logs themselves has a "higher" level than someone who bought 150k willows and sat in a bank for 99 fletching. Someone with level 70 herblore who got herbs/secondaries themselves has a "higher" level than someone who bought herbs and secondaries and sat in a bank till 99. The same applies to all the other buyable skills. If you buy it I'm not impressed. I feel the same way about cheapened ways of training, like bandit camp, marim dungeon, etc.

A high level to me means 80+. I don't care about combat levels, total levels, whether or not the person cut their own logs, fished their own sharks, or anything else.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

A high level to me means 80+. I don't care about combat levels, total levels, whether or not the person cut their own logs, fished their own sharks, or anything else.

true, you have about 1,5m xp then?

that means you actually play to get those stats so that deserves a big congratulations

though i think lvl 70 skills are nice aswell, 80's are just nicer :D

sigei.png

trechter.png

picture9hn2.png

another reason not to join bsc/esc/fsc

angel2w.gif

I honestly have to say anything above 70 is high. I mean, anything 90+ is really high, like my fishing <><

I'm level 106, and I have some noob levels. But that doesn't mean they need to be high because of my combat.

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

Interesting topic...

In my opinion, you can't say one particular level is high for all skills. For example, level 80 in runecraft takes a much longer time than say level 90+ cooking. So it doesn't really make sense to say that only skills at level [insert whatever level you think is high] or above are high when for certain skills that fall below your expectations for what is high take more time/effort. In other words, each individual skill should have its own point at which it is considered high.

As for combat effects on determining what is "high"...

I would answer yes and no, depending on the skill and combat level. For many noncombat skills, I agree with you that combat has no effect whatsoever on how you go about training it, but look at other some other noncombat skills where having a decent combat level would make it easier. Agility for example, is way slower if you tried to train it as level 3, because of the fact you only have 10 hp and you don't have access to many of the high level agility courses such as ape atoll. Slayer is also a noncombat skill, but combat certainly plays a major role in it. Many quests (shilo village is one example) unlock more efficient areas/techniques for training noncombat skills, and many of these quests have some sort of combat requirement. So for skills like agility and slayer, I would say combat level plays a major role in what you would consider high. As for many other skills, combat level plays only a minor role in determining if its high.