Gender equality

Howlin0001

The gender question has come up quite a bit for me in the last few days/weeks and would like your opinion on it.

In this time and age woman try to get equal rights as men, strive for the same amount of pay and type of jobs as there male counter parts and vice versa in some cases.

Also in day to day lifestyles, like treating them the same as the lads.

My question is how do you feel about that?

Like a woman doing some jobs that up till recently was entirely/mainly male dominated and a man doing a woman's job that was until recently entirely/mainly female dominated.

Also in the day to day lives, if you saw one of your friends being put down for being girl (e.g drinking full pints) would you tell that person to lay off or what and say if a girl wanted to fight you/ you hit them back (and you were male) what would you do?

Me I'm all ok and for the gender equality but sure it would take some getting use to and might be a little hesitant at first but I see no problem for there being gender equality. The only thing that I would be a little iffy on would be the hitting the girl. I know we should be equal but I think I still wouldn't like to fight a girl and if they were being put down I probley would try help them.

howlin1eeveesig.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is gender equality nowadays, which kind of eliminates the purpose of new feminists.

But I hate the feminists or even "femi-nazis" who say "If women were in control of the world, there would be no disagreement, war or anything between races and countries!"

Because that, is total bollocks.

However, to your 2nd question, if I saw one of my friends being put down for being a girl, then i would completely defend her, just like I would defend any of my friends for being put down for any reason. \'

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Men and women should be treated equal, but not the same. Men and women are different and I think that fact is sometimes overlooked. Note that I'm not claiming either to be better than the other, but our construction jobs will probably always be dominated by men. There are also studies somewhere pointing to innate psychological differences between men and women (I'll go see what I can pull up).

All I know is that I despise feminists.

Seriously, if you want equality give us some masculinists >_>. I think I had to make that word up. That's how annoying that is.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Men and women should be treated equal, but not the same.

That's a good way of putting it.

I mean, there are differences when it comes to religion, race, and gender but it doesn't make anybody any more or less "human" than the next person. The problem is that different people draw the line at different places. How equal can you say things really are when the man pays for the lady's dinner, holds doors open for her, etc.?

Seriously, if you want equality give us some masculinists >_>.

I think those are called rednecks.

I don't believe in turning a blind eye to the world's problems because the inherit structure of human society means there will be inequality of some sort, somewhere, always. All it takes for evil to win is for the good people to say nothing. It's very idealist, but it has a practical meaning. If you don't have feminists fighting for equal gender rights, men continue to dominate. It needs a juxtaposition.

So yeah, I'm for equal rights. I'm not into thinking that certain jobs were meant for different genders (nursing for women, banking for guys...). What I'm into is believing certain character traits are meant for certain jobs, and that there tends to be a correlation between gender and traits. It's perfectly possible that a caring male can work as a nurse, and perform that role just as well as a female, and vice versa for a male-dominated occupation.

I suppose you could call it "traitism" as opposed to feminism.

As for the questions:

Yes I'll stick up for girls and I have done.

I tend to avoid all conflict, but if I'm hit, I will hit back in defence. Male or female, but I'd probably take more care over where I'm hitting them.

Never really noticed any women discrimination, must be because I'm a guy :|

And if a person gets let down because their gender, sue, nuff said.

Thats just plain wrong that someone would do such a thing.

Quick question tho.

Anyone ever see a female Garbage Pickup person? :D

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Men and women should be treated equal, but not the same. Men and women are different and I think that fact is sometimes overlooked. Note that I'm not claiming either to be better than the other, but our construction jobs will probably always be dominated by men. There are also studies somewhere pointing to innate psychological differences between men and women (I'll go see what I can pull up).

The problem with that is it isn't always true. If you were to blindly treat someone a certain way off of the assumption that they are more dominant/stronger or if they are more submissive/weaker, then you set yourself up for offending that person or just putting them in a very awkward situation that need not to have happened in the first place. That's how today's society works: off the assumption that all males and all females act a certain way, which is complete bullcrap. However, if you just treat everyone the same and do not stereotype anyone, society should be a hell of a lot more equal in regards to gender. Basically what I got from your statement was: A woman wants to become a construction worker. The man that is in charge of hiring looks at her strangely and says "Ma'am, I do not think that this is the right job for you... How about you look into being a stay-at-home mom and work in the kitchen?"

The truth is, everyone is different. No one is the same just because of what may or may not be hanging between their legs.

I've considered the thought of a multiple-person, unisex bathroom idea. Instead of building several different bathrooms for both sexes, just build fewer bathrooms and make them all unisex. It would cut down on building costs and free up some space, not to mention that most public male restrooms are generally more neglected than female restrooms. Especially at public schools, it is very common to enter a male restroom and notice that half of the toilet stalls are missing doors, urine puddles the floors, and everything else is in disrepair. If you walk into a female restroom, everything seems to be attended to more and the stalls are in good repair. Also with the unisex bathrooms idea, all stalls will be more carefully sound-proofed and closed off to prevent any embarrassment. The only difference is that women and men will stand side-by-side and wash their hands in the sink and dry their hands and exit.

With the dressing room idea, there will no longer be a dressing stall for men on one side of the store and one for women on the other, they will both be joined and the stalls will still be individual and the doors will not have gaps, as to prevent embarrassment/discomfort/fear of being watched, which exists in most changing rooms nowadays. Also, it is common that you will be yelled at if you go anywhere near a changing room and you're the "wrong" gender. I think it's very ridiculous that they do this.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Men and women should be treated equal, but not the same.

That's a good way of putting it.

I mean, there are differences when it comes to religion, race, and gender but it doesn't make anybody any more or less "human" than the next person. The problem is that different people draw the line at different places. How equal can you say things really are when the man pays for the lady's dinner, holds doors open for her, etc.?

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this thinking. I've gotten in several arguments with my friends because they want equal treatment for women, but only when it's in their favor. They want the same pay and equal consideration for promotions as men, but they still think men should always pay for dinner. Being equal isn't all lollipops and rainbows, it'll come with a lot of [cabbage], too. Women shouldn't automatically gain custody of children in divorces, they should be able to be drafted, "battered-woman syndrome" should be thrown out, etc.

While I'd love to see it, it's still a male dominant society. I don't think it's going to change rapidly now, although it is much better now than years past. It's just been male dominant in most cultures for thousands of years.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

The problem with that is it isn't always true. If you were to blindly treat someone a certain way off of the assumption that they are more dominant/stronger or if they are more submissive/weaker, then you set yourself up for offending that person or just putting them in a very awkward situation that need not to have happened in the first place. That's how today's society works: off the assumption that all males and all females act a certain way, which is complete bullcrap. However, if you just treat everyone the same and do not stereotype anyone, society should be a hell of a lot more equal in regards to gender. Basically what I got from your statement was: A woman wants to become a construction worker. The man that is in charge of hiring looks at her strangely and says "Ma'am, I do not think that this is the right job for you... How about you look into being a stay-at-home mom and work in the kitchen?"

I'm not saying anyone should stereotype. I'm just stating that there are differences. As for the contrusction worker example, contruction is a male dominated job because men are naturally stronger than women. Does this mean all women can't become a construction worker? Of course not. I'm a man and I couldn't be a construction worker because I'm not quite strong enough. One of the reasons stay-at-home moms came about was because unless the family was wealthy there were a lot of chores to be done around the house not to mention kids to take care of. That in itself was a full time job. Now that there are less chores to do around a house and kids can be dropped off at day care, the mom can have time to work at a job (although the US marriage tax system isn't set-up for that).

The truth is, everyone is different. No one is the same just because of what may or may not be hanging between their legs.

I've considered the thought of a multiple-person, unisex bathroom idea. Instead of building several different bathrooms for both sexes, just build fewer bathrooms and make them all unisex. It would cut down on building costs and free up some space, not to mention that most public male restrooms are generally more neglected than female restrooms. Especially at public schools, it is very common to enter a male restroom and notice that half of the toilet stalls are missing doors, urine puddles the floors, and everything else is in disrepair. If you walk into a female restroom, everything seems to be attended to more and the stalls are in good repair. Also with the unisex bathrooms idea, all stalls will be more carefully sound-proofed and closed off to prevent any embarrassment. The only difference is that women and men will stand side-by-side and wash their hands in the sink and dry their hands and exit.

With the dressing room idea, there will no longer be a dressing stall for men on one side of the store and one for women on the other, they will both be joined and the stalls will still be individual and the doors will not have gaps, as to prevent embarrassment/discomfort/fear of being watched, which exists in most changing rooms nowadays. Also, it is common that you will be yelled at if you go anywhere near a changing room and you're the "wrong" gender. I think it's very ridiculous that they do this.

Everyone is different, but within categories. People can be grouped together fairly easily. Outside of public schools, female restrooms are usually dirtier because they use toilet paper almost everytime and it inevitably gets on the ground. Trust me, I'm glad I never had to clean any of the women's restrooms at the movie theater I worked at.

Seriously, if you want equality give us some masculinists >_>. I think I had to make that word up. That's how annoying that is.

Damn, then you despise me.

A feminist is not a lesbian woman with hair growing all over her that is like Heman. The meaning of a feminist is someone (not necessarily a woman) striving for equality among men and women.

Quite honestly, I think gender equality is something most overlooked in terms of people being "equal". Race and sexual equality issues are always in your face, but gender inequality is often overlooked, as seen in this thread with many thinking that the playing field is indeed equal.

Men make more to the dollar than women, this is a known fact. This is not just some statistic that is drawn across the board, obviously jobs are controlled for this.

The biggest problem is, women don't know they're making less than their male counterparts. We need more legislation to combat this discrimination against women.

I also notice that many people use the word "bitc3h" very freely, and even at women. It's pretty disgusting.

[hide=]

Damn, then you despise me.

A feminist is not a lesbian woman with hair growing all over her that is like Heman. The meaning of a feminist is someone (not necessarily a woman) striving for equality among men and women.

Quite honestly, I think gender equality is something most overlooked in terms of people being "equal". Race and sexual equality issues are always in your face, but gender inequality is often overlooked, as seen in this thread with many thinking that the playing field is indeed equal.

Men make more to the dollar than women, this is a known fact. This is not just some statistic that is drawn across the board, obviously jobs are controlled for this.

The biggest problem is, women don't know they're making less than their male counterparts. We need more legislation to combat this discrimination against women.

I also notice that many people use the word "bitc3h" very freely, and even at women. It's pretty disgusting.

[/hide]

We definitely don't need more legislation. The legislation the the democrats brought up gave trial lawyers wet dreams for months. All people need to do is realize it is happening and recognize it. Come to thin of it...

On average, women working in Obama's Senate office were paid at least $6,000 below the average man working for the Illinois senator. That's according to data calculated from the Report of the Secretary of the Senate, which covered the six-month period ending Sept. 30, 2007. Of the five people in Obama's Senate office who were paid $100,000 or more on an annual basis, only one -- Obama's administrative manager -- was a woman.

The average pay for the 33 men on Obama's staff (who earned more than $23,000, the lowest annual salary paid for non-intern employees) was $59,207. The average pay for the 31 women on Obama's staff who earned more than $23,000 per year was $48,729.91. (The average pay for all 36 male employees on Obama's staff was $55,962; and the average pay for all 31 female employees was $48,729. The report indicated that Obama had only one paid intern during the period, who was a male.)

McCain, an Arizona senator, employed a total of 69 people during the reporting period ending in the fall of 2007, but 23 of them were interns. Of his non-intern employees, 30 were women and 16 were men. After excluding interns, the average pay for the 30 women on McCain's staff was $59,104.51. The 16 non-intern males in McCain's office, by comparison, were paid an average of $56,628.83.

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

That statistic is full of holes, and you know it.

But IBD cites Carrie Lukas, the vice president for policy and economics at the Independent Women's Forum, as saying the Labor Department statistics quoted by Obama do not "...take into account factors such as years of experience, hours worked, education, service interruptions for marriage and child rearing." In other words, just using pure dollar amounts doesn't provide an accurate assessment.

I don't mind gender equality, if a woman can do a job just as well go for it, were just holding the world back if they could do certain jobs better but we aren't allowing them to do it.

What i do hate though are feminists, something about them just hacks me up.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm all for gender equality, so long as it's actually equality.

It's interesting that this thread sprung up around the same time as the reverse-racism thread, because in many ways women are like black people (go with me here...). I say that in the respect that sexist attitudes towards men are as inconsequential as racist attitudes towards whites. But if you're a white male and you denigrate either women or blacks, you might as well kiss your [wagon] goodbye. I suppose it's a consequence of white males having all the power in society for so long; we're not seen as a persecuted group, so somehow it's ok to denigrate us (when it's actually not, if we're talking about equality).

We do have equality, but some Women like to push things

to far by making stupid demands such a "Maternity leave".

Personally I would avoid employing a woman of child bearing age.

Why employ a female staff member who might get pregnant, who you then have to

give 14 weeks of paid leave to when you can employ a male who can't get pregnant.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to employ women. That's largely due to the women's

activist groups who like to push things too far.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I dearly wish Nancy Grace would just die in the most unpleasant way imagineable. Her feminist attitudes are just too much for me to stand watching her show. Watch her show a few times, not only will you learn her ideals as to women and children (every case she discusses is about a missing wife or daughter. And she's always stressing "remember, this is a HOUSE WIFE we're dealing with. Please comment on my site." As if you should work any harder to find a missing woman than a man) but you'll also see how she treats different guest speakers. She's always cutting off male guests when they disagree, and although she does it occasionally to women its not as often or as brutal. I really hate her guts.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

We do have equality, but some Women like to push things

to far by making stupid demands such a "Maternity leave".

Personally I would avoid employing a woman of child bearing age.

Why employ a female staff member who might get pregnant, who you then have to

give 14 weeks of paid leave to when you can employ a male who can't get pregnant.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to employ women. That's largely due to the women's

activist groups who like to push things too far.

You wouldn't be able to hire women aged ~15-50 then. After 50 people start retiring, so you don't want to hire them either. Looks like you'd just have to surround yourself with men.