A question for fellow athiests

Lionheart_0

Ok all this evolutionary and homosexual discusion has brought me to something. What if god did exist (i still denie his existance till its proven)? What would you do?

I know i would belive (cause it would be stupid not too) but i wouldnt worship, im still my own person.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too. It would be like praying to Bush.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd ask to be annihalated, I dont want to live forever worshiping a being that not only lets so much pain and hatred run rampant in the world but causes it too. It would be like praying to Bush.
without pain how would u know joy? life would truely be just nothing but empty space, like u believe when u die, ironic in a way

without pain how would u know joy? life would truely be just nothing but empty space, like u believe when u die, ironic in a way
Thats a cop out answer. You dont need pain to have joy. How is it fair for people to live lavish life styles in their $10m mansions while other people starve to death slow and painfully? I live my life now helping others enjoy their own lives because I know that after life theres is nothing, we must all do our best to make it as good as we can because its our only chance.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If I was absolutely positive that this god existed, I would simply look to the sky, say "jerk", and continue living like I always have.

EDIT: But no, I'm not agnostic. Just answering a hypothetical question.

Ok all this evolutionary and homosexual discusion has brought me to something. What if god did exist (i still denie his existance till its proven)? What would you do?

I know i would belive (cause it would be stupid not too) but i wouldnt worship, im still my own person.

Then you're agnostic, not atheist. :) An atheist is certain there is no God(s). An agnostic doesn't know for sure or waits for proof, while being open-minded enough to realize someone can come out with proof one day.

Mercifull, agree totally with your second post. I wouldn't ask to be annihilated though.

if there is a god, then when you die you would relise if you're right or wrong

if the isnt, then you will never relise if your right or wrong

its just one of the ways life plays with us

It depends what the God wanted.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

I'll just wait and see. Guessing ruins the fun. I'm enjoying this bit in the middle called life and it's now or never, I mean, I aint gonna live forever. You could say I just wanna live while I'm alive..

After all, it's my life.

Thats a cop out answer. You dont need pain to have joy. How is it fair for people to live lavish life styles in their $10m mansions while other people starve to death slow and painfully? I live my life now helping others enjoy their own lives because I know that after life theres is nothing, we must all do our best to make it as good as we can because its our only chance.
well, its in the bible "its easier to pass a rich mn through the eye of a needle than heavens gates" that i believe "gods favorites have a hard time" 1 of my tattoos, as far as ur personal beliefs i respect them and understand them. as far as aethism though, i just cant wrap my head around the thought that without something devine the earth all the planets, galaxys whatever was just there, im sorry but with creation i just can understand how something is just there. it actually makes less since than if a happy meal created the entire universe. both views leave questions unanswered, i like apples u like oranges, whos right? ill tell u someday or if ur right well who the hell cares then? i just believe the thing that makes the most sense TO ME.

i just hope no matter the answer we both find it before it becomes evident

if fighting terrorism is letting pain and hatred run free....

It's no wonder you're no longer a Tech_Head :lol:

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

Then you're agnostic, not atheist. :) An atheist is certain there is no God(s). .

No. An Atheist believes there is no god, just like a Christian believes there is a god. Being certain requires proof, and none of us have proof at this time. Agnostic means you feel that you have no idea either way, you can still be an Atheist without being dead sure about the nonexistance of a supernatural being.

As for what I would think...

It depends on which god I guess. In general I'd be pretty pissed off. If god was anything like the Christian faiths describe him, that'd be pretty terrible, I guess I'd consider him humanitys biggest enemy so far.

I do not however think for a second that there is any supernatural being.

It is the American way. Oh Crap!? Where's Bin Laden?!

And also, his opinionated view on religion and life has nothing to do with his skills in computer and I.C.T. Matt standing down on his own accord also means nothing to you I take it.

So basically, shut up you smeghead.

It is the American way. Oh Crap!? Where's Bin Laden?!

And also, his opinionated view on religion and life has nothing to do with his skills in computer and I.C.T. Matt standing down on his own accord also means nothing to you I take it.

So basically, shut up you smeghead.

Merrcciiifulll, I want you to liiiikeeeee meeeee!!!

Thats what I get from your posts anyways.

Merrcciiifulll, I want you to liiiikeeeee meeeee!!!

Thats what I get from your posts anyways.

Ah just because I'm not so pally to you as I am to him doesn't mean I'm like Blair the lapdog ;)

I'm just not a fan of ignorant posting like Knight's (God I know that's hypocritical) so I stuck up for him

Well, if God existed (i.e. Christian God in particular) then I'd worship them, yes; the idea of that god is that it's one whose followers worship them... and that all people should be followers. Of course, I don't believe God exists, so it's a moot point, and you won't find me doing any worshipping.

I'm not strictly an atheist--for all I know, a god could exist, and just isn't talking to me--but that(^^^)'s what I'd do. As I say, I don't think there is a god... but if there is and the Christians in this world are right--including about how some of them act--then I wouldn't worship him, as I don't like they way he does things.

So, to clarify that a bit: idealistically, yes--that god would be worth worshipping; realistically, no--I don't see any reason to worship whatever god is (if there is one) in control right now.

I wouldn't believe that the only way to get to heaven (paradise) whatever you want to call it, would be through worshipping that god. I'd probably just go on enjoying my life. You can't enjoy life if you're always wondering what's at the end.

3898000bYVcx.png

Then you're agnostic, not atheist. :) An atheist is certain there is no God(s). An agnostic doesn't know for sure or waits for proof, while being open-minded enough to realize someone can come out with proof one day.

Mercifull, agree totally with your second post. I wouldn't ask to be annihilated though.

Ya pyro was right. It dosent mean im an agnostic. I Firmly belive in no god, but then again i know that the big bang theory is just a theory. But im also saying, no matter what happens, im me, and i dont care about any higher beeing

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

As for what I would think...

It depends on which god I guess. In general I'd be pretty pissed off. If god was anything like the Christian faiths describe him, that'd be pretty terrible, I guess I'd consider him humanitys biggest enemy so far.

Sir, might I ask how you think the Christian faith describes God and what your problems with that God are? If the God I worship is as horrible as you say, then perhaps I should reconsider my religion.

As for the actual topic, I'm not an atheist, so I really don't have any comment on the matter.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Sir, might I ask how you think the Christian faith describes God and what your problems with that God are? If the God I worship is as horrible as you say, then perhaps I should reconsider my religion.

I'm not saying what's right/wrong/justified or anything here. But I think what Pyro is getting at is God's bad side. On one hand, creator of all and great. On the other, causes a mass flood and wipes out 99% of the Earth. I'm not a Christian so I don't know what the actual story or meaning is so don't hate me for saying that >.<, just might be what Pyro's on about.

That's a pretty broad topic, which isn't really interesting enough to type a lot about. The short version of it is that using eternal torment as a punnishment for a different opinion isn't my idea of divine wisdom. Then there's the whole free will concept, which doesn't explain why God felt he had the right to kill everything that lives on Earth (excluding the visitors of a certain boat we all know of) because they were of another opinion (The opinion of refusing to worship and/or believe at all).

The reason it's not a very interesting topic is fairly simple. There's no way I can ever convince you that the God you believe in is evil, and there's no way you can convince me that he isn't. Odds are you've heard just as many anti-Christian arguments as I've heard pro-Christian arguments, and I think that's enough. In the end it is simply a matter of interpretation, belief, and opinion. Mine is that God does not have the rights the Christian faith believes he has.

That's a pretty broad topic, which isn't really interesting enough to type a lot about. The short version of it is that using eternal torment as a punnishment for a different opinion isn't my idea of divine wisdom. Then there's the whole free will concept, which doesn't explain why God felt he had the right to kill everything that lives on Earth (excluding the visitors of a certain boat we all know of) because they were of another opinion (The opinion of refusing to worship and/or believe at all).

The reason it's not a very interesting topic is fairly simple. There's no way I can ever convince you that the God you believe in is evil, and there's no way you can convince me that he isn't. Odds are you've heard just as many anti-Christian arguments as I've heard pro-Christian arguments, and I think that's enough. In the end it is simply a matter of interpretation, belief, and opinion. Mine is that God does not have the rights the Christian faith believes he has.

Ok, thanks for explaining that. I disagree with it, but I respect it. However, there is one issue you brought up that I'd like to comment on, that of eternal punishment.

According to the Bible, God is the source of all good things, which includes pleasure. Hell is simply eternity separated from God, and, in my opinion, the whole "fire and brimstone" thing is a metaphor for something much worse - choosing to deny yourself Pleasure Himself. So it's not that God punishes people eternally for a different opinion, it's just that when you refuse to submit to and worship God, you deprive yourself of the source of all joy, which leaves you with only misery. Maybe it seems a little more fair when you think about it that way.

Sorry for going so off topic.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Surely the whole point is that IF! God exists (IF!) then he DOES have a right to kill everyone, and there IS a reason for it, which IS beyond your comprehension. I'm not saying that's true (did you spot the IF!s?) but if God is real, then he can do what he likes, and it's damn well certain to be the right thing; he's perfect, after all.

You know I don't believe in god... I just think that, if he did exist, there'd be no question of whether or not what he did was just. If you started beleiving in god, you'd probably see that he had a reason for everything--he's GOD, for god's sake.

Again: it's a moot point; there is suffering in the world, whether or not god exists. If he doesn't, then the suffering is there because it just is. If he does, it's there because.... he has a reason--which, as I said, would probably be too complex to understand, him being god, and all.

Edit: if I've gone too off topic, then please, powers that be, delete what I've written.