99 fletch>99 str (str is really overrated)

shooterbob7

combat stats simply are not fast to train. If you do slayer the most xp per hour you will get is around 70k an hour. Firemaking or fletching you can easily get 200k xp per hour. It may be expensive but its very possible. So it takes more time to get 99 combat skill. Also 99 in one combat skill does not mean you have 85 slayer as someone posted earlier. I have 99 attack and 97 strength and only have 83 slayer. It is very possible to have one 99 combat stat and have 85 slayer but it does not automatically mean it is so.

fencejummper.png

fencejummper.png

Attack Cape

Quest Cape

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think a 99 can be judged simply by which skill it was achieved in. 99 strength achieved along with a reasonably high slayer level is obviously more impressive than the same level achieved by AFKing at the bandits. Similarly, 99 fletching done by buying the materials then selling the bows isn't as impressive as fletching logs you cut yourself, and stringing the bows with flax you picked and spun yourself.

Of course, in the first case you'd have to take into account the player's slayer level, and in the second, her woodcutting and crafting levels. A skillcape only shows that a player has a level 99. It doesn't show how the 99 was achieved.

Because of pures. What people don't seem to understand is that outside of PvP, the combat level difference between you and your opponent doesn't matter.

It's not pures asking 'str lvl'.

It's newbies to the game, and those that are deciding if they should hop, or not at a crowded spot. If I have 90strength, and I see a level 60 there, I'm definitely going to try and take the spot from them without hopping, however if they look similar to my combat, I'm going to ask and get info instead of just hopping, or charging in and looking like an idiot when they have 99 strength and some of the best strength boosting gear.

Another thing, combat, or melee is the most common thing in the game. Everyone basically does it, and asking for strength levels is something that is fairly common when you're meleeing, or training a skill. Also, when you're out skilling and such, the most familiar skill people know is strength, thus they are going to start with 'str lvl' to start a conversation.

Another thing is cooking/fletching is far too easy to level, while strength takes a lot longer and is a bit more 'difficult'.

Actually, I shall tell you what's far to easy to level, it's Construction. Yet no one flames about a Con cape. And I know some of you will say "but you had to get the money for it", but the thing is with cooking/fletch and fm the person still needed to get the money. 2-3m may mean nothing to alot of people (myself included) but to alot of people, 2m is great.

All I'm trying to say is, that to get a 99 you still need to work for it, nomatter which 99 it is.

(someones going to contradict everything i just said, I can feel it)

cb3w5.png

Cb3w5.png

actually there is a reason why 99 str is more common:

99 str: anybody can train it, both f2p and p2p. more people train str since warriors outnumber skillers.

99 fletch: only members can train it.

99 cook: f2p have no access to the immortal fire of rouge's den.

99 fm: f2p have no access to teak/mahogany/mage logs. most f2p are relatively poorer than members and cannot afford yews to burn.

anyway, people who are laughed at for having cook/fletch cape are usually high levels(100+) who have the untrimmed version of it since many expect them to have at least 2 common skill capes or 1 neutral/rare/useful skill cape at that level.

as many people mentioned, 99 str>99 fletch/cook in terms of usefulness. 99 fletch is useful only up to 95(d darts) and 99 cook is useful up to 95(no burnt sharks with cook gauntlet). as for str, your max hit increases with every level and hitting high is like some sort of acheivement which others can see.

as for me, str is my first skill cape as i wanted to be a barrows pure. after realising the importance of attack, i train it up to 99 too and now im a dfs pure(still working on hp) with str xp in the top 10k of hiscores and i enjoy training str more than any other skills including attack(i just hate to be a whip slave).

magax_king.png

I don't have 99 str... and I won't for a while. It'll be the last combat skill I get to 99.

I especially hate pures, for my own reasons.

as for me, str is my first skill cape as i wanted to be a barrows pure. after realising the importance of attack, i train it up to 99 too and now im a dfs pure(still working on hp) with str xp in the top 10k of hiscores and i enjoy training str more than any other skills including attack(i just hate to be a whip slave).

You people make up so many excuses for training defence. What's next? You're going to be a 'defence cape pure'?

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I find it funny how people care and actually comment on what other players are wearing. Ok, you think someone looks like a noob/fool/skillcape noob fool(use what ever fits you), but still - why care commenting. If I use armor or clothing I like, why would I care what this random flamer tells me?

Care about what you wear on your character, and I'm sure others will care about theirs.

actually there is a reason why 99 str is more common:

99 str: anybody can train it, both f2p and p2p. more people train str since warriors outnumber skillers.

99 fletch: only members can train it.

99 cook: f2p have no access to the immortal fire of rouge's den.

99 fm: f2p have no access to teak/mahogany/mage logs. most f2p are relatively poorer than members and cannot afford yews to burn.

anyway, people who are laughed at for having cook/fletch cape are usually high levels(100+) who have the untrimmed version of it since many expect them to have at least 2 common skill capes or 1 neutral/rare/useful skill cape at that level.

as many people mentioned, 99 str>99 fletch/cook in terms of usefulness. 99 fletch is useful only up to 95(d darts) and 99 cook is useful up to 95(no burnt sharks with cook gauntlet). as for str, your max hit increases with every level and hitting high is like some sort of acheivement which others can see.

So its all about showing off? Runescape should be about teamwork and strategy, not showing how high you can hit. Whats the difference betweem 99 str and 98 str? I'm pretty sure you would hit the same.

shooterbob7.png

In my time in ftp, its always the same levels asking the same questions, "wats ur str lvl?" what you dont realize is that in ftp, the general age is very low, and all the kids really care about are how high you can hit, you go with a rune scimmy and hit an 18, people go ballistic..... people see that and then have more of a drive to train their strength level, and the cycle continues....No little kid enjoys training skills other than maybe woodcutting, they dont have any understanding that RS is not all about being able to kill the guy you are training beside, they are always trying to be better than the guy beside them.

Every skill is useful in some way. Every 99 is worth a great deal of respect. Deal with it. -.-

Also not every fletcher buys their materials. I'm proud to say I woodcut every single log that I use and craft every single bow string that I use. (Not that I'm even near 99 yet but it's one of my goals). There's going to be people who find an easy way to 99 for every skill either by buying or afk-ing or whatever. People shouldn't let assumptions like 'Fletch cape... omg you so just bought that! You just want a skill cape.' get in the way of the fact that a 99 is still an achievement. It might not seem like it to those with high levels already, but for those of us who don't have levels even near the 90's, it's something massive.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

jealousy of fm or fletching? lmfao

Both. Well, depends on what the flamer doesn't have.

Except for the fact that 98% of the people with fletching or fm or cooking capes got that cape because they wanted an "achievement". People train combat for a number of reasons, but there's absolutely NO point behind a FM cape or a fletching cape.

Honestly, what sort of loser would waste hundreds of hours fletching willows and yews just so they can wear a cape and hope for somebody to say "omg nice cape dudee!"? It's useless, it wastes time money, and it's nothing more than a lame attention grab.

And you know what's funny? When someone finally gets their precious fletching cape, then discover to their shock that in reality NOBODY looks up to their "achievement", guess what they do?

Yup, time to forum their tears.

I really don't know how people can call you a noob for having a 99 cape. Having a 99 is an acheivement in itself, I bought 99 Firemaking once but as you can see from my Firemaking level, I gave up pretty quickly. Just because it's a buyable 99 (only around 4m I think, probably less now,) people think that there's no time spent doing it. It is admittedly fast xp, but it still takes long enough to make it an acheivement. There is no such thing as the wrong 99, and when people say that they mean: the one I want/have is _____.

I've been playing for a long time and have a highish total level, but I don't even have a 99 cape, yet I have friends with lower total levels than me, even lower total xp, but with 3 or 4 99s.

For me a useful 99 is one that you can use, so cooking and fletching perhaps, (fletching up to level 95 at least,) but Firemaking is just a skill for the point of a skill, noone really uses fires... at all. We used to use them ages ago to cook on when we were level 3, but by the time we were level 4 we all knew that ranges were better anyway. It's an acheivement to have got the level, but really it's an acheivement for the sake of having an acheivement.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Finally. A topic which says that strenght is overrated. One of the truest thing I have ever seen on here to be honest, and then I have been around for quite some time. I can just give you one of these:

:thumbsup:

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I compared strength to firemaking. Not cooking or woodcutting. I put strength (and attack and defense...) at about equal to woodcutting and below cooking. Simply because of xp rates. If they have 85+ slayer along with it (A 99 stat will get you 85 slayer) then I automatically put it with firemaking hunter and other clicking skills.

You compared them to all the skills "around".

combat skills are the most afk-able skills around.

they are the most afk-able skills around. Are they the easiest? not in my opinion.

Well, so is cooking!

Strength has its profits, especially when you're that high level to PK effectively with it. But PKing is jsut for joy, therefore, 99 strength is for fun.

99 fletch is for xp/money.

Thats the way I see it.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

jealousy of fm or fletching? lmfao

Both. Well, depends on what the flamer doesn't have.

Except for the fact that 98% of the people with fletching or fm or cooking capes got that cape because they wanted an "achievement". People train combat for a number of reasons, but there's absolutely NO point behind a FM cape or a fletching cape.

Honestly, what sort of loser would waste hundreds of hours fletching willows and yews just so they can wear a cape and hope for somebody to say "omg nice cape dudee!"? It's useless, it wastes time money, and it's nothing more than a lame attention grab.

And you know what's funny? When someone finally gets their precious fletching cape, then discover to their shock that in reality NOBODY looks up to their "achievement", guess what they do?

LOL!

/cosign.

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

I didn't get 99 fletching so people would say nice achievement,in fact I knew people would call it nooby. I got it becuase i like fletching and it was the only 99 I could get. And btw how can fletching be a waste of money when I made about 2m off 99?

99 fletching achieved 09/04/08 99 defence achieved 08/31/09 99 smithing achieved 07/25/10
99 attack achieved 03/11/10 99 constitution achieved 05/14/11
99 strength achieved 06/01/11 99 cooking achieved 01/17/12
99 woodcutting achieved 05/10/12 99 firemaking achieved 05/10/12

because strength can not be power trained to the extent of cooking fletching or firemaking. It takes quite a while to get the cape in comparison to the other 3 mentioned. So yea it is more common but that is because people want to be able to hit higher, not just have a cape.

Well then. I assume you consider thieving to be less worthy of respect than fletching. It's much faster to train. :geek:

I really don't know how people can call you a noob for having a 99 cape. Having a 99 is an acheivement in itself, I bought 99 Firemaking once but as you can see from my Firemaking level, I gave up pretty quickly. Just because it's a buyable 99 (only around 4m I think, probably less now,) people think that there's no time spent doing it. It is admittedly fast xp, but it still takes long enough to make it an acheivement. There is no such thing as the wrong 99, and when people say that they mean: the one I want/have is _____.

I've been playing for a long time and have a highish total level, but I don't even have a 99 cape, yet I have friends with lower total levels than me, even lower total xp, but with 3 or 4 99s.

For me a useful 99 is one that you can use, so cooking and fletching perhaps, (fletching up to level 95 at least,) but Firemaking is just a skill for the point of a skill, noone really uses fires... at all. We used to use them ages ago to cook on when we were level 3, but by the time we were level 4 we all knew that ranges were better anyway. It's an acheivement to have got the level, but really it's an acheivement for the sake of having an acheivement.

So why get 99 strength when it's almost functionally identical to 96 strength? You're getting millions of experience to maybe increase your max hit by 1? Is that really so useful? Clearly the primary motivation for going all the way to 13m exp is the skillcape. :ugeek:

You can't buy strength.

You can't "buy" any skill. All you can do is buy the materials. I don't know if you're under the impression that there's this magical genie somewhere who will sell you a construction skillcape if you give him 100m, but there isn't. You still need to spend some very long hours building things. As tintin113 has just testified, buying 85k logs is not the same as getting 99 firemaking. Would you say runecrafting is a "buyable" skill, because you buy all the pure essence? That'd be funny, since it trains slower than agility, which I don't think anyone would say is "buyable." Or is it? You buy super energy potions, after all. Hey, for strength, don't you have to buy a weapon? That sara sword costs more than all the logs for 99 firemaking. And can't you buy super sets for faster training? Can't you buy prayer potions to constantly use piety for faster experience? So isn't strength a buyable skill too? I hope you see how ridiculous your statement is. :roll:

You all can argue the merits of one skill over another (although to each his/her own, in my opinion).

I would just like to point out that the original poster used the hiscores as a proxy to compare fletching vs. strength. Only one of those skills is p2p, which makes the comparison completely worthless.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

All skillcapes are overrated. If you train a skill jsut for a cape then imo your an idiot. You can buy something with equal stats for around 2-400k. You can get a beter stat-wise cape within 3 hours, and you can get better looking capes by doing quests and looking around more.

Now if your training it to get 99 and the cape is a by-product its a different matter, the cape comes as an extra on a 99 skill, not the other way around people.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

tbh, another reason why i hate str is because of pures. i like every other pure beside str. the main reason why i hate str pures is because they act like their on top of the world and brag about their str levels more than any other pure and irl i know there some wanna-be punk that lives in the suburbs.

shooterbob7.png

You all can argue the merits of one skill over another (although to each his/her own, in my opinion).

I would just like to point out that the original poster used the hiscores as a proxy to compare fletching vs. strength. Only one of those skills is p2p, which makes the comparison completely worthless.

the % of players who will obtain 99 str in f2p will be very low. But, your words cant be denied.

tbh, another reason why i hate str is because of pures. i like every other pure beside str. the main reason why i hate str pures is because they act like their on top of the world and brag about their str levels more than any other pure and irl i know there some wanna-be punk that lives in the suburbs.

Idiotic.

Zerker_jane.png