What do YOU want in BioShock 2?

Juhnie

This thread originally started as speculation over an article, but it shall from now on be used for all kinds of discussion regarding BioShock 2.

Link to the official BioShock 2 site: http://www.bioshock2game.com/en/

Contains the most up-to-date news and articles!

Some information that is currently available on the game. :^_^:

[hide=Information about the game]

Source: Here

BioShock 2 is a first-person shooter video game, developed by 2K Marin as the sequel to the critically-acclaimed BioShock. It was originally due for release on October 30, 2009 internationally and on November 3, 2009 in North America, simultaneously on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows platforms, but it was announced on July 13th, 2009 that the game is to be delayed until the first half of 2010.

Bioshock_2_boxart.jpg

Gameplay

The player will take the role of the first Big Daddy, a prototype for the Daddies seen in the original game. The character possesses superior speed and intelligence to other Big Daddies, as well as free will. As such, the player will be able to use the Big Daddy's drill and rivet gun as weapons, though the drill will overheat if used continuously. The rivet gun will have several types of ammo, similar to the first game. Alternatively, in contrast to other Big Daddies, the player may also use plasmids, while "upgrade trees" will provide unique ways to upgrade them. A new feature added is the ability to dual-wield plasmids and weapons at the same time. Further Big Daddy abilities found in the first game, such as performing a shoulder dash, will also be an option. The player will also be able to step outside Rapture into the ocean due to the diving suit they wear. Here the player can explore the ocean floor, recover from fights, marvel at the city from the outside and even pick up the special sea slugs at the ocean floor to gain more ADAM. These sea slugs create ADAM, the genetic material for the production of Plasmids. The Big Sister also appears to be a very serious threat to the player. When a certain number of Big Daddies are killed she will attack. Unlike the Big Daddies, she is lightning quick and arguably more powerful, able to extract ADAM from her enemies through a harvesting needle, straight into her bloodstream, which fuels "telekinetic abilities beyond anything previously thought possible".

As a "rogue" Big Daddy, players will attempt to capture the Little Sisters from other Big Daddies who roam Rapture. Once a Little Sister is caught, the player will again have the option of choosing the fate of the Little Sisters. Harvesting remains a possibility in order to gain more ADAM, but rather than rescuing the Little Sister, players will instead be allowed to adopt them. With this option, Little Sisters will ride around with the player's Big Daddy, and will look for ADAM to harvest from corpses; in a manner similar to the proving grounds area of the first game, the player will then need to ensure that splicers will not harm the Little Sister as the harvesting process takes place. The Splicers will not damage the Little Sister, but will delay the process of gathering the ADAM. This will prolong the time it takes for the little sister to gather ADAM, allowing more splicers to attack the player and the little sister. Rescuing, while not initially an option for the player, will become available at some point in the game. Additionally the Little Sisters will also warn the player when the Big Sister is approaching. When the Big Sister is coming, there will be a countdown which gives the player an opportunity to set traps, buy items at a vending machine or place proximity mines. A sign that the Big Sister is approaching is when the Little Sister says in a singsong voice "Mr. B, Mr. B, Big Sister doesn't want you playing with me . . ."

Other returning features from the first game include the ability for the player to regenerate through the use of Vita-Chambers, and audio diaries. In addition to the single-player story, multiplayer will be a feature in BioShock 2, but this will not take the form of co-operative play.

It has also been confirmed from the latest gameplay trailer that Gene Banks will return and that previous areas of Rapture still exist, such as the Kashmir Restaurant where the player started out the first game, complete with the iconic statue of Atlas.

Plot

Set ten years after the events of BioShock, a number of towns around the world have been reporting kidnappings of young girls, with witnesses reporting the attackers as both extremely fast and thin, with red lights often reported as either being worn by the attacker or spotted nearby in the sea. This single attacker is in fact the Big Sister, one of the Little Sisters from the first entry in the series, who has mechanized herself in a similar fashion to the Big Daddies and has become the ruler of the underwater city of Rapture. Under her control, the city has reached an equilibrium in which she "actively maintains the city's infrastructure, and viciously hunts anyone down who disrupts the balance of power"; Tenenbaum, discoverer of ADAM and original creator of the Little Sisters, also states that the Big Sister has begun kidnapping girls to turn them "into creatures like her". Tenenbaum also states that she is a Golem character, hinting that her actions could be being manipulated by a different force.

Development

Initially, media reports suggested that the subtitle, "Sea of Dreams", would accompany the second entry in the series. However, this subtitle was supposedly dropped, before 2K withdrew the statement, stating that the "Sea of Dreams" subtitle would still be part of the full title. However, a later statement from 2K spokesman Charlie Sinhaseni clarified that the "Sea of Dreams" title was for the trailer, and not for the game itself. The first anything for Bioshock 2 came in the form of a Teaser Trailer that was available for viewing in the PS3 port of the first Bioshock. The first major details on the gameplay and plot of the game were revealed in the April 2009 issue of Game Informer magazine,[15] around the same time that the "viral" site "There's Something in the Sea" was revealed. This site documents a man's investigation into the disappearances of girls from coastline areas around the Atlantic, along with a mysterious red light that accompanies each kidnapping. On April 9, 2009 on the [bleep]e TV show GameTrailers TV with Geoff Keighley the first Bioshock 2 gameplay video was shown featuring the Big Sister. This demo showed many features including the ability to walk under water.

On May 8, 2009, it was confirmed that Digital Extremes would be producing the multiplayer component of the game. In the multiplayer portion, players are put in a separate story where civil war has broken out in Rapture prior to the events of the first game. In the multiplayer mode the player acts as plasmid test subject for a company called Sinclair Solutions. As the player progresses through the multiplayer maps like Mercury Suites and Kashmir Restaurant they will either have the ability to hack security bots or search for the Big Daddy suit.

[/hide]

[hide=Information on multiplayer]

And some info on multiplayer

BioShock 2 multiplayer is going to be much more than a tacked-on mode, with 2K Games tapping Digital Extremes to deliver a substantial experience that adds to the lore and fiction of the universe.

2K Games has tapped Unreal contributor Digital Extremes to create a multiplayer mode for BioShock 2 that is every bit as rich and detailed as the single player. Players take on the role of a plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions during the fall of Rapture, allowing them to experience yet another aspect of the underwater empire's history as they progress through the multiplayer experience. Iconic locations like the Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites are being reworked from the ground up in order to facilitate a fast-paced multiplayer experience.

Speaking of experience, players will gain experience as they play through the multiplayer portions of the game, earning them access to new plasmids and tonics. With hundreds of different combinations available, players will be able to develop their own particular play style, which should lead to some very interesting battles.

"The fans asked for a multiplayer experience and we answered," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "With Digital Extremes delivering a multiplayer experience for BioShock 2 that features all of the things that make BioShock unique, we're holding ourselves to a high standard so that we can deliver the depth and variety that fans of the BioShock universe demand."

It really sounds like 2K and Digital Extremes are working hard to ensure that the multiplayer in BioShock 2 is every bit as deep and enjoyable as the single player will be.

<!-- m -->http://kotaku.com/5245711/bioshock-2-mu ... he-fiction<!-- m -->

[/hide]

[hide=Even more multiplayer information]

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211627/bioshock-2-impressions?tag=topslot;title;3
Perhaps one of the most anticipated games coming out this year, BioShock 2 is on display at E3 2009, and though it's not here in any playable form, we did get to see a trailer of the single-player mode in action and, surprisingly, a good chunk of the multiplayer. First, the single-player mode in BioShock 2 takes place 10 years after the events that transpired in the original game, which means that Rapture has fallen into a state of decay as the ocean continues to reclaim it and its inhabitants. The focus of the single-player mode, in terms of its lead character, was to change it from the perspective of an outsider to that of a resident of Rapture, and in particular someone who plays an important role in the overall framework of the city.

That new lead character is the original Big Daddy--the very first to don the massive diving suit in the city of Rapture. But he's different from the single-purpose drones that roam around in the original game. He has regained his free will, which also happens to make him faster and more agile than other Big Daddies. Additionally, he can use a variety of weapons, ranging from the massive Big Daddy drill and a rivet gun to all-new plasmids, which have been tweaked to make them even more effective in combat. But more importantly, the original Big Daddy can make one decision that the others cannot: He can choose to protect the Little Sisters and continue to let them harvest Adam from fallen splicers or he can harvest them and take their Adam.

After we viewed a brief trailer of BioShock's lead character in action (which you can view above), representatives from Digital Extremes took to the front of the room to give a deeper look at the multiplayer component in BioShock 2. Unlike the single-player campaign, BioShock 2's multiplayer component takes place a year before the original game, during the civil war that initiated the downfall of Rapture and Andrew Ryan's underwater utopia. What's interesting is that there are actually two very different methods for jumping into a multiplayer game. There's a standard menu option and then there's Jacob Morris' (the lead character in multiplayer and a welder who may have even helped build Rapture) apartment, which is a visual representation of all of the multiplayer options and information presented in spectacular Art Deco Rapture style. You even have your own bathysphere to launch you into a multiplayer match.

The apartment, or safe house, is also where you can build loadouts for Jacob before joining a match. You can mix certain types of weapons with certain plasmids, so that you can immediately access those combinations without having to go back into a menu. (You can also select from your list of loadouts after dying in a match.) And if you're wondering how a lowly welder gets access to weapons and plasmids, a group named Sinclair Solutions provides you with them because they have a vested interest in the outcome of Rapture's civil war (you might remember that there was a bar in the original BioShock called Sinclair Spirits). But Sinclair's involvement doesn't end there. At the end of every match, the company will assess your performance and potentially promote your ranking, which essentially grants you access to more weapons and more plasmids. It's similar to what was done in Modern Warfare, only dressed in the BioShock universe, and should make it easier to create matches for players of similar skill.

This particular demo was of the Free for Fall mode, and it supports up to 10 players like the other multiplayer modes. The map is the Kashmir Restaurant, an area from the original game. Digital Extremes points out that because the game takes place just one year before the original, it makes sense to use some of the same areas, but they've been reimagined to make them more balanced for multiplayer. During the early minutes of the match, we find out that plasmids also have two different types of attacks: a quick fire and a charge fire. Obviously, the quick fire lets you shoot more quickly, but it's less powerful. Conversely, a charge attack is much more powerful and extends its damage, but it also leaves you open to attack from other players because it takes a few seconds to charge. Of course, either kind of attack still costs Eve, which is why you visit can the Circus of Value vending machines scattered about each map. Digital Extremes doesn't want to break the flow of the action, so all you have to do is walk up to it and get your Eve replenished. Similarly, the hacking of turrets (which is especially useful in multiplayer because they can help wrack up some kills) is also vastly easier than it was in BioShock. All you have to do is walk up to the turret, hack it, wait a few seconds for a gauge to fill, and it's yours.

But though you may be busy hacking some turrets, another player might be searching for something else: the diving suit for the Big Daddy. Yes, it's possible to play as the Big Daddy in BioShock 2 multiplayer by finding the diving suit in the map, but he doesn't quite function the same way as the Big Daddy in the single-player game. These are the slow, plodding sort, but what they lack in speed, they make up for in brute strength and endurance, and they're incredibly difficult to take down if you're on your own. On the flip side of that, if you become the Big Daddy then chances are that you'll also be the new focal point of the match as other players come to take you down, and you won't have plasmid powers to help you, either.

The action in the multiplayer mode looks pretty hectic, and when the Big Daddy shows up, it just gets crazy. But what really strikes us most about BioShock 2's multiplayer mode, at this point, is just how much effort Digital Extremes and 2K have put into making it an interesting part of the BioShock universe, and the fact that it's just not a multiplayer version of the single-player game. There's an entire narrative designed around the multiplayer, explaining why all of these people are fighting and how you have access to weapons and plasmids. It makes us interested to see other facets of the multiplayer, including the other modes, Survival of the Fittest and a team-based match called Civil War. BioShock 2 is scheduled for release in November, but check back for more coverage on the game in the near future.

Contains some information about the multiplayer. It sounds pretty cool. The rush to become the Big Daddy will be fun, and trying to take it down will be a challenge.

[/hide]

Link to a Multiplayer trailer video: Click here. thanks, Kcdragon8116!

Link to the BioShock Wiki page: http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock_2

TIME revisits Rapture 10 years later - Bioshock 2 Preview Article! http://nerdworld.blogs.time.com/2009/11/04/rapture-10-years-later-lev-and-i-freak-out-over-bioshock-2/#more-2737

Interview with BioShock 2's designers: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/bioshock2/news.html?sid=6242265&mode=previews

Nine-minute walkthrough trailer from YouTube:

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click here.

One of the Multiplayer styles - Capture the Sister

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click

Siren Alley Trailer - contains Single-Player Weaponry and enemies

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click here.

Feel free to post links/videos regarding BioShock 2 if they contain some new material. :^_^:

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A game that's worth £40.

Heh, I'd love to see that too.. However, I'm quite positive that the game will go up to 60-70. :( At least for two weeks after the launch.

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

MORE HUMANS.

God, I cried (on the inside) when I realized you have no real human allies.

Or maybe you do...I didn't finish it completely, need to do it again. Plus I rushed so much from fear...

I [bleep]ing loved the art and stuff, though. Maybe now they could try seventies or eighties.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I literally screamed on the first chapter,

the one when you are getting some stuff from a desk.

You turn around and there is a doctor splicer staring at you directly, fun thing is that it won't move unless you move.

(Was fun to shoot him on the crotch)

:mrgreen:

grown little sisters.

big daddies.

Return to Rapture

Alot of stuff that i can't be bothered to write.

More plasmids.

Actually effective plasmids (only 2-3 plasmids were used on Bioshock)

Bioshock 1 was incredible beyond words. Let's just hope they don't run out of ideas and turn it into a shoot em' up game.

They won't.

I don't want them to reuse their ideas, though. I don't want Rapture. I want to let the story be in my head.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I just don't know how they're going to continue it. The entire reason the game was interesting was the main protagonist, not the idea of rapture. Without him I just don't see what the game would do.

Can't say I'm looking forward to a second one.

Bioshock 1 was incredible beyond words. Let's just hope they don't run out of ideas and turn it into a shoot em' up game.

They won't.

I don't want them to reuse their ideas, though. I don't want Rapture. I want to let the story be in my head.

I want to return to Rapture, the entire atmosphere of Bioshock is based under water with no way out.

Trapped.

Desperate.

Something like that, it helped the atmosphere and to set the overall tone of the game.

MORE HUMANS.

God, I cried (on the inside) when I realized you have no real human allies.

Or maybe you do...I didn't finish it completely, need to do it again. Plus I rushed so much from fear...

I [bleep] loved the art and stuff, though. Maybe now they could try seventies or eighties.

Yeah. It seemed that every single human being in Rapture was stupid enough to splice themselves until they went mad. -.-

And yes, the art, the music, the old atmosphere, it made this game so unique! :thumbsup:

grown little sisters.

big daddies.

Return to Rapture

Alot of stuff that i can't be bothered to write.

More plasmids.

Actually effective plasmids (only 2-3 plasmids were used on Bioshock)

Yes, the game must be based on Rapture, because of it's uniqueness. The whole feeling of being isolated from outer world into a town that once was beautiful and peaceful is one of the two main things that keep me attracted to the first game :thumbsup:

More plasmids, yes. I found use to most plasmids, but some of them just.. Really, who uses Cyclone Trap anymore when I can use Sonic Boom or other lots better plasmids? I also didn't have much use for Target Dummy.

Also, an interesting part on the article said that they are thinking about the possibility of bein' able to harvest ADAM out of innocent people of Rapture.. :o Interesting..

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

I just don't know how they're going to continue it. The entire reason the game was interesting was the main protagonist, not the idea of rapture. Without him I just don't see what the game would do.

Can't say I'm looking forward to a second one.

Another good reason .. Its the way it ended and started.

As long as the first weapon you get is the wrench, I could care less about the rest of features.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

:lol: Yeah, I must agree with you, if they'll remove the Wrench, the whole game will be ruined ;) It's the best weapon in the whole game! :thumbsup:

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

I don't see how they could make a related sequel. There aren't too many people who are rich/determined enough to build a utopia underwater, are there?

Though more useful plasmids, inventions and possibilities with them would be nice. Half of the current ones, I was thinking, "What the hell could I use this for?", and not in a good way.

I just remembered that there was supposed to be a teleportation plasmid in Bioshock, but they removed it fir some reason. It would be awesome if they put it in bioshock 2, just imagine teleporting behind a splicer with the wrench out and then yell suprise as you kill it.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

I don't see how they could make a related sequel. There aren't too many people who are rich/determined enough to build a utopia underwater, are there?

It's a dystopic future. There's ALWAYS someone.

And more Rpg elements with real time hacking would be nice...

Instead of just jumping up, hitting the button at just the right second so you just hang there, hacking away suspended in mid air, while your enemies wait patiently for you to finish.

I like stir fry

Protoguy.png

protoguy.png

more weapons, hardly any in the first one -.-

So, you need more than a Shotgun, grenade launcer, pistol, crossbow, chemical thrower, and wrench, most of which have multiple ammotypes.

wailord.png

more weapons, hardly any in the first one -.-

So, you need more than a Shotgun, grenade launcer, pistol, crossbow, chemical thrower, and wrench, most of which have multiple ammotypes.

You forgot the Machine Gun. ::'

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png