Twilight.

saif

Wow. So I got dragged to go see this tonight. Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. In the very end I thought the movie was going to essentially start over again with the chick so I cuddled up to my gf and told her I was going to sleep and to wake me up when it was over. Thank god it ended because I just didn't want to be there any longer. Terrible.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked like a disgusting teenchickflick, not going to see.

Let the Right One In is a good Swedish independent film with similar plot schemes-vampire love, etc. I saw that and it was pretty good.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

I can't wait for some Twilight fangirl to come in here and try to start pulling apart all our posts.

Should I show this board to my friend who is completely obsessed with Twilight?

I think I shall... I'll also send her that review from previous page to see what she says.

I'll forward a message from her too. :P

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I dislike all vampire movies.

Never seen Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Blood for Dracula, Countess Dracula, Nosferatu (both original and remake), Vampyr or the Vampire Lovers? Did I forget Todd Browning's Dracula? And the Fearless Vampire Killers. There are so many good vampire movies. I bet you haven't seen them all!

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Now we're getting a tad off-topic, but all I have to say is that I like Tolkien better for that fact that he created such an in-depth world than for his writing. (I admit, I was bored at some points too)

I can't wait for some Twilight fangirl to come in here and try to start pulling apart all our posts.

he certainly wasn't a bad writer, rather too ambitious for his own good with lots and lots of filler.

Well, i think we've discussed twilight as deeply as we could, so we can only diverge from the topic. :D

I agree with Adio here.

N0M, just wondering, what are some fantasy books that you like?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAMMIT.

I had a really big post typed up in response to kalphiteman and somehow I managed to open my favorites and click a link when trying to capitalize a damn letter.

To paraphrase:

Adult books: Wheel of Time, has its problems especially later on but still fun to read.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, outstanding, one of the best series of books I've ever read. Note: very mature at times.

LOTR: I have problems reading it sometimes as the prose can get dense, but Tolkein was an Oxford English professor and some of it is really beautiful. That's not what he's noted for anyway, he invented the typical fantasy elves and dwarves and was the first to create an incredibly in-depth and engaging fantasy world.

Star Wars EU: Not all of the books are great works of prose, but it's Star Wars ::'

YA: The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, it's a shame they aren't more widely read.

Harry Potter of course. As a side note I loathe Twilight being hailed as "the nest Harry Potter!" Please. Rowling is a good writer, Meyer isn't.

Pendragon, Bobby's voice is just appealing overall and the themes are fresh and un-typical.

I enjoy Artemis Fowl still, even though it's a bit juvenile for me now and I heard the last one kinda sucked.

That's all I can think of for now, and this post was typed in great haste due to the fact that it's the second time (I'm still pissed about that) so sorry for any lack of quality lol.

p2gq.jpg

^Yeah,I know.I haven't bothered picking up Time Paradox because I doubt its worth the money to buy it straight away.Or a few months after.

But I don't see the great of HP after...book 4.5-7 are not even "hard" to read,its mainly day-to-day type instead of action,and while it could be great for some,I dislike a book's mid portion (between her beginning and climax) to be stale.Thusly,I like the DragonLance chronicles,simply because each chapter focuses on a different character,so even if one character goes stale,the other two are still nice and fresh.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I saw it without reading the book (Currently doing that now) and I have to say that it was a decent film. There wasn't much of a plot, but I guess there isn't much of one in the first book of the series either. I'd say that 90% of the people in the theater were girls, whereas the 10% of males either accompanied their girlfriends, or were parents of the aforementioned girls. There were some humorous parts in the film, but overall it was meant to be a chick flick as some of you put it.

And for reference, I'm a guy, and I went to see it alone.

Because we're hijacking this topic as no one likes Twilight:

Of course Tolkien wasn't a bad writer. I mean, apparently I'm the opposite of N0M - I was bothered by the fact that he stuck so many random poems/songs into the books. And yea, he had a rather unique writing style, but maybe that was what was "in" during his time, like how books about vampires and girls are popular now. But I'm agree on the fact that he created an incredible universe, with numerous languages (Which are more than just a few words, Sindarin has complicated grammar rules and there's a huge vocabulary list somewhere) and races.

Never read Sword of Truth, N0M? I thought you would have. I don't know how they compare to most of the books on your list, but I've heard they're quite similar to Wheel of Time.

As for Harry Potter, the first four were classic. There's a reason I tried reading them all in the same day when I was in fourth grade. The last three were not as great, but still good. Except for the end of Deathly Hallows. No. Just no.

I'll keep this slightly on topic...If people want vampire stories, Stephen King tops Twilight, no doubt about it. But oh wait - His vampires aren't sexy.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

^Yeah,I know.I haven't bothered picking up Time Paradox because I doubt its worth the money to buy it straight away.Or a few months after.

But I don't see the great of HP after...book 4.5-7 are not even "hard" to read,its mainly day-to-day type instead of action,and while it could be great for some,I dislike a book's mid portion (between her beginning and climax) to be stale.Thusly,I like the DragonLance chronicles,simply because each chapter focuses on a different character,so even if one character goes stale,the other two are still nice and fresh.

The day-to-day activities in HP are what set the mood, especially in the last four books. Goblet of Fire, everyone hates Harry and us being shown through his day brings that point home - then when everyone loves him after the First Task the expectations are raised and we see that too. Order of the Phoenix, everyone thinks Harry is a lying nutcase and once again we are shown it through his day-to-day experiences. Although I think the whole angst thing was a bit overdone and got a bit annoying after a while. Half-Blood Prince, he is vindicated and a hero again, but Voldemort is out in the open and my personal favorite of the series shows us the atmosphere of fear and uncertainty, but at the same time life goes on. And Harry isn't even at Hogwarts in the last book so there are no depictions of school life.

Opposed to Twilight, which also has a school setting. First of all, why the hell is a 100-year-old vampire attending high school? Meyer's fantasy: 1 Actual plot: 0. The only purpose of the high school setting is to show how "mature" Bella is in comparison with all her sadly negligible friends and act as the gateway for the EPIC ROMANCE. To drive this point home, we see exactly one class: Biology, in which Bella meets Edward. And that's it for the rest of the book and indeed the series. What?

DragonLance is just a D&D-type stock fantasy that's fun to read but not the stuff of greatness.

Never read Sword of Truth, N0M? I thought you would have. I don't know how they compare to most of the books on your list, but I've heard they're quite similar to Wheel of Time.

Thought about reading them, but I've heard from other literary enthusiasts like me that they're really bad. I did read an excerpt. It was about a chicken that was evil incarnate. Wtf is all I can say. I'll pass.

Here is a link to a blog that really puts the books in perspective, and all I can say is wow: http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

I'll try to find the evil chicken excerpt, it is quite entertaining in a "how the [bleep] did this [cabbage] get published" kind of way.

EDIT: Here: http://news.ansible.co.uk/a233supp.html

p2gq.jpg

Hm, interesting.

All I can say is that they are rather graphic, both with sex and violence.

And extremely long. There's a good length that Tolkien and Rowling hit...Not too short (So there can be a good plot), but not too long (So it doesn't drag on and on...So long that you don't remember what happened earlier on).

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

So much for the actual Twilight discussion (Thank God :pray:)

I thought the latest Artemis Fowl book (Time Paradox) was a little weird. It brought time-traveling back into the mix from Lost Colony, but it seemed different.

[hide=SPOILER ALERT]And then there was the random twist with Artemis thinking he gave his mother the disease, and Opal being all obsessed over the lemur, and *rambling*[/hide]

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?p=53

Better than the others posted, that's for sure. And with pictures!

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Never seen Dracula: Prince of Darkness, Blood for Dracula, Countess Dracula, Nosferatu (both original and remake), Vampyr or the Vampire Lovers? Did I forget Todd Browning's Dracula? And the Fearless Vampire Killers. There are so many good vampire movies. I bet you haven't seen them all!

I've seen the original Nosferatu, didn't like it. I'm just not a fan of vampires at all.

tFtfA.jpg

Thankfully, the Twilight series is over.

Not really. There's still a book that's coming out by Stephenie Meyer.

It's Twilight, but from Edward's perspective. :thumbdown:

The manuscript was leaked a while back and the work on it has been postponed/halted. It probably will be released, but just in a couple years.

And although I like the series, I have to say that the movie does look pretty [cabbage]ty. The characters aren't well casted, the effects are third rate, and it completely changes key scenes in the book. I think they just wanted to make as much money as possible from the Twilight franchise before the fangirls even thought about moving on, so they quickly threw together a movie. Honestly, I think it was kind of pathetic because I like Twilight and movies, but I don't think I'll ever see this one.

Let's just hope they do the same with Twilight as they did with Eragon.

Bury it in a [bleep]ing hole and hope nobody finds it in 10 years.

Seriously, girls. Is Twilight so good? I read the first book. It was a pile of steaming horny-girl fantasy crap. No plot, no symbolism, no legitimate allusions or literary techniques commonly found in widely acknowledged 'classical' literature like Catcher in the Rye, or, hell, let's dumb it down, 'The Cat in the Hat' had more moral principle than that pseud-vampire douchebag Edmund or whatever-the-[bleep] his name was.

If you want to get something out of literature, read something that people say has timeless value as oppose to this shallow, over-beaten excuse for an English novel.

Calvin.jpg

[hide=Post by N0M]AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAMMIT.

I had a really big post typed up in response to kalphiteman and somehow I managed to open my favorites and click a link when trying to capitalize a damn letter.

To paraphrase:

Adult books: Wheel of Time, has its problems especially later on but still fun to read.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, outstanding, one of the best series of books I've ever read. Note: very mature at times.

LOTR: I have problems reading it sometimes as the prose can get dense, but Tolkein was an Oxford English professor and some of it is really beautiful. That's not what he's noted for anyway, he invented the typical fantasy elves and dwarves and was the first to create an incredibly in-depth and engaging fantasy world.

Star Wars EU: Not all of the books are great works of prose, but it's Star Wars ::'

YA: The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, it's a shame they aren't more widely read.

Harry Potter of course. As a side note I loathe Twilight being hailed as "the nest Harry Potter!" Please. Rowling is a good writer, Meyer isn't.

Pendragon, Bobby's voice is just appealing overall and the themes are fresh and un-typical.

I enjoy Artemis Fowl still, even though it's a bit juvenile for me now and I heard the last one kinda sucked.

That's all I can think of for now, and this post was typed in great haste due to the fact that it's the second time (I'm still pissed about that) so sorry for any lack of quality lol.[/hide]

Note to self:

Pick up the remaining Pendragon, WoT, Bartimaeus Trilogy, and maybe even the new Fowl book.

The only things I haven't read that are up there are LOTR, and Fire and Ice. I read the Hobbit when I was 8, tried to read the trilogy, but got too bored within the first couple of pages. Maybe I'll try to read the trilogy again, winter holidays are coming up...

Also, I am glad to hear of someone else who even heard of Bartimaeus, and that Pendragon is a good series ,I've always wondered whether it was childish to read them :?. Anyways I read the first Bartimaeus book, and loved the whole system of summoning and all the different beings that one could control.

Now, for Twilight, I worked up the courage to actually read it, and I loved it. Well, love might be the wrong word, unless you say that a drug addict loves his drugs. However, like any drug, it kills you, and as a book, it is horrible. To read it very casually and not have to think about it, go ahead. Yet if you have to consider the book a serious piece of work, have fun trying to convince yourself that. I remember I found a review about it, and I thought it picked apart the book pretty well.

[hide=Here it is actually]http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?p=53

'Ah, hyperbole. Where would Twilight be without you? Just take a look at some of these quotes:

Stephenie Meyer, a Mormon housewife turned novelist, is the new queen of fantasy. [1]

Meyer has, like one of her vampires, turned into something rare and more than merely human: a literary phenomenon. [1]

Im not usually a vampire book reader, but I havent read a book in a long time that had as much sexual tension and creepy terror throughout as Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. [2]

Wow, Twilight must be awesome! The media never inflates steaming piles of [cabbage] into idols, right? All it does is report the truth, and the truth is that Twilight is the bestest, most famous book ever! If you are nodding your head in agreement, please have your sarcasm meter checked. It is broken.'[/hide]

On the movie, I refuse to watch it, just as I refused to watch Eragon. Only certain books make good movies. Those certain books are often very good books (See the Bourne series; LOTR). Mediocre (That is being nice is some cases) do not make mediocre movies. They make horrible ones.

EDIT:

Lenin, i didnt c wat u did thar

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I've seen the original Nosferatu, didn't like it. I'm just not a fan of vampires at all.

Then you wouldn't like one of my old teachers. He has 600+ vampire movies. And that's a conservative estimate. I think it's more like 700+.

On topic: I'm actually quite intrigued by the popularity of these books/movie. I'm probably going to read them over Christmas break, no matter how horrible some people consider them to be. I love books, I'm pretty sure I'll find these ones to be decent.

Flyingjj.png

My friend says:

"What a nubby forum. XD Except, i'm not going to argue.. Apart from the fact that you guys obviously have far too much time on your hands to be trashing and finding dirt on a bestseller book. XP Go get a new hobbie or something, eh? Also, it's far better to have fan girls for Twilight than say, Justin Timberlake. Admit it. "

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

EDIT:

Lenin, i didnt c wat u did thar

Is vry ez to c. Evn NOM c wat I did thar.

My English teacher loves this series. She described last class how she and her twisted friends would hold book parties, with raffles and such, and before reading a new addition have contests to see who could make the most accurate predictions. I would think that, as an English teacher, she would appreciate the horrid style, lack of characterization, etc. But somehow, this is not true.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

My friend says:

"What a nubby forum. XD Except, i'm not going to argue.. Apart from the fact that you guys obviously have far too much time on your hands to be trashing and finding dirt on a bestseller book. XP Go get a new hobbie or something, eh? Also, it's far better to have fan girls for Twilight than say, Justin Timberlake. Admit it. "

No, Justin Timberlake is an idol because of his good looks (right?) so its a plausible reason for girls to be attracted to him. Twilight is a book that is 9/10 descriptions of the love nella and edward have, while he is an overprotective and abusive boyfriend. This is OT. All we do is eat glass, criticize stuff, and sleep. We have too much time on our hands, yet you seem to have all the time in the world to read 4 books, each 400~ pages, with barely any plot or literary ability put in to it. It isn't a bestseller book because of the thought and time that was put into it, I'll tell you that.

(Note that I was talking/arguing with Wongtong's friend)

A little more off-topic, I want to read the new Artemis Fowl book, but I might have read it already. After the eternity code I know I read like 2 other books but I don't know the names or what chronological order they are in.

That was a pretty typical fan response, albeit more civil. "It's a bestseller, stop trashing it because being such a bestseller obviously means that SM > You and you have no life for criticizing it."

And no, Twilight fangirls are far worse than Timberlake fangirls, if those even exist anymore.

p2gq.jpg

Fads die and come back, NOM. Britney Spears is back on the music scene (unfortunately. Seriously, that chick went shaved-her-head crazy. Haven't we done enough?) But, still, Justin Timberlake fangirls were better than these Twilight monstrosities. At least you can outmaneuver a Justin Timberlake fangirl and they'll end up giving you a slack jawed stare, leaving you with the feeling of self-satisfaction and victory. These Twilight fangirls will never admit that they're wrong, no matter how illogical, stupid, and undecipherable their arguments may be.

*Claps hands together.*

At any rate, I did read the first Artemis Fowl. It was well enough, though I've never had enough interest to pursue the series. Though, there's been a bit of a literary drought for me lately, I might go pick them up. Would you guys recommend it?

Calvin.jpg