Twilight.

saif

Books rocked for the most part. I laugh at the half of New Moon where she keeps trying to kill herself, my friend cried. :XD: Movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although the only person they casted right was the guy who played Jacob. Robert whatshisface (Edward) also made a really crappy Cedric in HPGoF... Yeah.

Artemis Fowl books in chronological order:

Artemis Fowl; The Arctic Incident; The Eternity Code; The Opal Deception; The Last Colony; The Time Paradox.

I maintain that The Last Colony is the best, The Time Paradox is okay but weird like another poster said.

Getting onto Eragon/Inheritance Triliogy; Brisingr sucked compared to Eldest, Eragon sucks compared to Eldest, and I hate him for making us wait for another freaking book. Also the people who made the movie suck, they made it look like Star Wars.

Also The Chronicles of Narnia aren't bad; chucking that into with LoTR and HP...

Also they're running the Half-Blood Prince trailer with Twilight, looks pretty great. Hermione already gets to hit Harry in the preview. :D

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting onto Eragon/Inheritance Triliogy; Brisingr sucked compared to Eldest, Eragon sucks compared to Eldest, and I hate him for making us wait for another freaking book. Also the people who made the movie suck, they made it look like Star Wars.

Eldest was the worst book by miles. Eragon was the best. Haven't read Brisingr but most people place it between the other two somewhere, Eragon being the better and Eldest the worse. So an improvement over Eldest but not quite reaching the simple level he was at before he went horizontal with a thesarus and had bajillion-ets. And started throwing in bad philosophy through his mouthpieces, nudist hippy vegan elves who inexplicably wear leather. And threw in the BIGGEST deus ex machina I've ever had the misfortune to read, the Bload-Oath Ceremony. Dear God.

It already looked like Star Wars without the movie. Which did suck unbelievably.

The fifth Artemis Fowl is called The LOst Colony, by the way. That might confuse anyone looking for it ;)

This is my new favorite thread XD

p2gq.jpg

Firstly, I highly recommend the Bartimaeus trilogy to anyone is into fantasy books... I saw it mentioned above. The way the characters change is what I found the most interesting, and that's not something I would normally point out lol.

Anyway. I read the Twilight books. A friend of mine (a girl) told (forced) me to. Other than the fact that they are very clearly for girls, they were fairly decent books.

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?p=53

Better than the others posted, that's for sure. And with pictures!

I liked this quote from the article:

And of course Edward and his family are veggie vamps, or vampires who never drink human blood. Meaning Bella will never have to struggle with the idea of Edward feeding on her for sustenance, or if she refuses, feeding on another human in her place. For craps sake, if youre going to shun the aspects that define vampirism and our fascination with it, why bother calling the creatures vampires at all? Take away their weakness to light and you take away the most powerful symbolism of vampires being damned creatures. Take away their need to feed on human blood and you take away the creepy part of their nature that makes their physical beauty seem like such a perversion. Without this, what are we left with? Uber-Sues.

Well, I haven't read or seen it yet, but I can't say that I'm dying to see it.

I forgot to mention the Bartimaeus triliogy, really good too. The Darren Shan vampire books aren't bad, I don't like them much though... Other good books... The Wizard of Earthsea trilogy is really great, I've read the first one and am starting the second one. I dunno if this is a little 'kidish' but Crispin-The Cross of Lead by Avi and the other one which I can't remember are both really great books; set in medieval England, quite awesome... Which brings me to Tamora Pierce, she's written some great books; Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen are awesome, also the Lioness quartet and Protector of the Small quartet. Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series is pretty good as well.

The reason why most teenage girls like Twilight is because it's easy to understand and overly descriptive of the droll type of stereotypical "love" that the average high school girl dreams of. (sorry ladies, it had to be said)

^Well, since we've chucked in Artemis Fowl, I figured I'd go with Alex Rider. They're still pretty good books even if you're older than his target audience.

^Well, since we've chucked in Artemis Fowl, I figured I'd go with Alex Rider. They're still pretty good books even if you're older than his target audience.

Eh, I think that Artemis Fowl is still considerably more mature than Alex Rider is.

Eh, I think that Artemis Fowl is still considerably more mature than Alex Rider is.

Well, yer, that's cos' Artemis is an evil genius. Or was. I didn't like the last one very much. Also, Alex Rider series are very good, too.

We'll sneak out while they sleep

And sail off in the night.

We'll come clean and start over the rest of our lives.

When we're gone, we'll stay gone.

Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not too late,

We have the rest of our lives.

My friend says:

"What a nubby forum. XD Except, i'm not going to argue.. Apart from the fact that you guys obviously have far too much time on your hands to be trashing and finding dirt on a bestseller book. XP Go get a new hobbie or something, eh? Also, it's far better to have fan girls for Twilight than say, Justin Timberlake. Admit it. "

No, Justin Timberlake is an idol because of his good looks (right?) so its a plausible reason for girls to be attracted to him. Twilight is a book that is 9/10 descriptions of the love bella and edward have, while he is an overprotective and abusive boyfriend. This is OT. All we do is eat glass, criticize stuff, and sleep. We have too much time on our hands, yet you seem to have all the time in the world to read 4 books, each 400~ pages, with barely any plot or literary ability put in to it. It isn't a bestseller book because of the thought and time that was put into it, I'll tell you that.

(Note that I was talking/arguing with Wongtong's friend)

A little more off-topic, I want to read the new Artemis Fowl book, but I might have read it already. After the eternity code I know I read like 2 other books but I don't know the names or what chronological order they are in.

This is Wongtong's friend. Argue time. :D

Ewuh, Justin isn't good looking. Plus, he can't sing for crap - sounds like a total girl. He isn't an 'Abusive' boyfriend, at all. He's over protective, yes, but his girlfriend is being followed around by a savage vampire desperately wanting to kill her, and most of the time she could probably injure herself, so duh. Course he's gonna be protective, he wants her to survive. That so bad?

It is most definitely a bestseller book, actually. And yes, i do have time to read them. Because they DO have plots. But of course you wouldn't know that because you obviously haven't read them, so therefore you have no idea whatsoever you're really talking about.

It's not too late,

Thankfully, the Twilight series is over.

Not really. There's still a book that's coming out by Stephenie Meyer.

It's Twilight, but from Edward's perspective. :thumbdown:

Horny teen chicks just want in the dude vampires pants

and guys who read it, probably just the same.

That sounds about right.

-Points to my friends-

Wanna fight, Beckehnub? -_-

It's not too late,

That was a pretty typical fan response, albeit more civil. "It's a bestseller, stop trashing it because being such a bestseller obviously means that SM > You and you have no life for criticizing it."

And no, Twilight fangirls are far worse than Timberlake fangirls, if those even exist anymore.

Well, i'm a pretty typical kid. Nah, i can't agree there. Justin's much worse. And yes, they do exist. *shudders.*

It's not too late,

Fads die and come back, NOM. Britney Spears is back on the music scene (unfortunately. Seriously, that chick went shaved-her-head crazy. Haven't we done enough?) But, still, Justin Timberlake fangirls were better than these Twilight monstrosities. At least you can outmaneuver a Justin Timberlake fangirl and they'll end up giving you a slack jawed stare, leaving you with the feeling of self-satisfaction and victory. These Twilight fangirls will never admit that they're wrong, no matter how illogical, stupid, and undecipherable their arguments may be.

*Claps hands together.*

At any rate, I did read the first Artemis Fowl. It was well enough, though I've never had enough interest to pursue the series. Though, there's been a bit of a literary drought for me lately, I might go pick them up. Would you guys recommend it?

If you can bear a Twilight fan recommending books.. XP Yes, i do recommend reading Artemis Fowl series, they're very good. (From a non fan girl perspective)

It's not too late,

Ah, lotza posts.

Btw, Artemis series go; 'Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, The Eternity Code, The Opal Deception, The Lost Colony, The Time Paradox.'

It's not too late,

This is Wongtong's friend. Argue time. :D

Ewuh, Justin isn't good looking. Plus, he can't sing for crap - sounds like a total girl. He isn't an 'Abusive' boyfriend, at all. He's over protective, yes, but his girlfriend is being followed around by a savage vampire desperately wanting to kill her, and most of the time she could probably injure herself, so duh. Course he's gonna be protective, he wants her to survive. That so bad?

It is most definitely a bestseller book, actually. And yes, i do have time to read them. Because they DO have plots. But of course you wouldn't know that because you obviously haven't read them, so therefore you have no idea whatsoever you're really talking about.

Let me point you to this quote, or rather, wave it in front of your face with large epilepsy-inducing letters:

Actually there are many things wrong with Edward despite the descriptions of his ultimate perfection. Im reminded of medication advertisments that extol their amazing products and then list off noxious side effects in a speedy, reluctant whisper. Try Edward Cullen today and feel the sparkle return in your life. Relax and never make a decision again; hell think for you. Never worry about being gangraped in a dark street; Edward Cullen can whisk you away in style!

*tinkling piano music*

Studies have shown side effects may include nauseaspousalabusebloodlossmanicdepressivethoughtsanentiref*ckingwolfpackonyourassandbruisingaftersex. If Edward Cullen disappears, go to Italy or call us at the number on your screen. Enjoy life. Enjoy Edward Cullen.

And can you honestly say that "I like to watch you sleep" is not an extremely creepy thing to say, much less do? And then there's the bruising after sex bit. No, that's not abusive AT ALL.

No one disputed that it's a bestseller. As a matter of fact, Twilight was the first book to knock Deathly Hallows off the #1 bestseller spot. But it's not a bestseller on literary merit, not one bit. Which is the scary part.

Arguments can't simply be thrown out because the person making them hasn't read the book. Faulty logic, there. Even more faulty is the assumption that he hasn't read the book just because he disagrees with you and so is OBVIOUSLY wrong. As a matter of fact, the literary merit of these books is pretty much undisputable. From a critical standpoint, they're bad. Really bad.

p2gq.jpg

Twilight just had several very pointed flaws that made it unfaithful. If I wrote a book with dwarves that sung to trees and could live forever, those aren't dwarves, those are other things. Same thing. These things aren't vampires, they're just...really hot dudes that drink blood instead of eating what normal people do. Throw in super-powers, and you pretty much get a sanguiphilic (Yay, custom Latin!) Superman.

What a bore.

P.S. Nom Anor is right. Edward is just reeally creepy.

'I like to watch you sleep. I've been doing it for two months.'

#-o Worst thing to tell a girl EVER.

Calvin.jpg

if you want more mature from horowitz you can read the power of 5 series. They are pretty damn awesome.

also go go read garth nix's stuff. Its all awesome.

Tk5SF.png