Dragon Dagger V.S. Dragon Claws

hunting310

After testing the pair I got last night with my brother, and watching several vids on YT, there doesn't seem to be a calculation. The third and fourth hits never hit over half the max, but other than that, there's no real pattern.

Also, it's fairly inaccurate. I tested it on some higher defense NPCs and it didn't hit very well. But it utterly rips pures apart.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex said they get the hits(except the first one) by dividing the first hit in half to get your second hit, divide your second hit in half to get your third hit, and divide your third hit in half to get your fourth hit.

Exp.(20-10-5-3) hope this clears up the confusion

And how do I hit 0-0-0-31?

There is no specific pattern that I can discern from my experience with my claws.

Seeing as 31 is your first actual hit that could still be right. Not really sure but that's why I changed what I posted.

Although I still don't believe it's an accurate way of calculating the hits.

30jlfk0.png

Thanks to InsanityV2 for the sig

Well...lets just explain how these work, to hopefully end the discussion. Your total hit cannot exceed twice your highest hit, excluding zeros. That means if you hit three zeros, your fourth hit is unaffected. I'm sick of people saying things like "the max of the fourth is 25% of your max" because its just not true. Theres no set dependence on which attack can do how much damage because I have seen plenty of 0 0 0 30 type of a special. Also, it is completely false that the second time you deal damage, it will always be 50% of your first damage, because this is also false.

Allow me restate exactly what the claw special allows: Your total damage on the special WILL NEVER exceed the damage done by your first non-zero hit. HOWEVER, when you have your first non-zero strike, the game calculates what hit it happened on, and wants to give all remaining hits a chance to strike. If you hit a damage on the first swipe, your second swipe will have a max of 50% of that damage, and your third and fourth swipes will have a max of 25% of that damage. I am unsure at this time why they decided to make it work that way instead of giving 100% 33% 33% 33%. Either they like to work in fourths and halves, or maybe they wanted to give you a chance to do more damage faster, since the four swipes do not all happen simultaneously. Further, if you hit a zero on the first swipe, but hit on your second swipe, your third and fourth swipes each have a max of 50% of that hit. (and of course, if you manage to hit two zeros for the first two swipes, each of the remaining strikes do the normal damage...and also you CAN hit 0 0 0 and then your max 100% damage)

So to visualize it better, here are some possible hits:

40 20 10 10

0 40 20 20

0 0 40 40

0 0 0 40

And here are some impossible ones:

10 20 40 10

10 8 2 0

0 20 20 0

0 0 20 25

So the question being: "Whats the big deal about these claws? If you cant hit more than double your max of a single round, why not use the DDS?"

Well, if you know anything about a DDS, you probably understand that the special is just two hits strung together, which can make it grossly inaccurate at times. So lets say you have the bad luck of hitting two zeros in a row. If using the DDS, this means you spec a 0 0 and have wasted a round of combat. If using D claws...you get two more shots. Its like having a whole new DDS spec without waiting another round of combat. This weapon is basically identical to the DDS in terms of maximum damage potential per second, which is why it makes no sense to use PvM. However, in a PvP setting, the claws are basically just a bad luck reducer. Sure, you wont be hitting any 40 40 40 40 specs on people...your total damage in a single round of combat is basically the same. However you now have a much better chance of getting a high hitting special (though you do have less special attacks)

NOTE: a couple things are still unclear atm. For example, if you hit a 40 on the first swipe, and then a 0 on the second, it is unclear if you get 50% and 50% on your final two hits. I havent been able to figure this out yet because it seems as of now that after you hit a damage, your following hits have a very high sucess rate of doing SOME damage. If anyone has footage of a 40 0 20 20 or a 40 0 0 40 type of a hit, let me know...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well...lets just explain how these work, to hopefully end the discussion. Your total hit cannot exceed twice your highest hit, excluding zeros. That means if you hit three zeros, your fourth hit is unaffected. I'm sick of people saying things like "the max of the fourth is 25% of your max" because its just not true. Theres no set dependence on which attack can do how much damage because I have seen plenty of 0 0 0 30 type of a special. Also, it is completely false that the second time you deal damage, it will always be 50% of your first damage, because this is also false.

Allow me restate exactly what the claw special allows: Your total damage on the special WILL NEVER exceed the damage done by your first non-zero hit. HOWEVER, when you have your first non-zero strike, the game calculates what hit it happened on, and wants to give all remaining hits a chance to strike. If you hit a damage on the first swipe, your second swipe will have a max of 50% of that damage, and your third and fourth swipes will have a max of 25% of that damage. I am unsure at this time why they decided to make it work that way instead of giving 100% 33% 33% 33%. Either they like to work in fourths and halves, or maybe they wanted to give you a chance to do more damage faster, since the four swipes do not all happen simultaneously. Further, if you hit a zero on the first swipe, but hit on your second swipe, your third and fourth swipes each have a max of 50% of that hit. (and of course, if you manage to hit two zeros for the first two swipes, each of the remaining strikes do the normal damage...and also you CAN hit 0 0 0 and then your max 100% damage)

So to visualize it better, here are some possible hits:

40 20 10 10

0 40 20 20

0 0 40 40

0 0 0 40

And here are some impossible ones:

10 20 40 10

10 8 2 0

0 20 20 0

0 0 20 25

So the question being: "Whats the big deal about these claws? If you cant hit more than double your max of a single round, why not use the DDS?"

Well, if you know anything about a DDS, you probably understand that the special is just two hits strung together, which can make it grossly inaccurate at times. So lets say you have the bad luck of hitting two zeros in a row. If using the DDS, this means you spec a 0 0 and have wasted a round of combat. If using D claws...you get two more shots. Its like having a whole new DDS spec without waiting another round of combat. This weapon is basically identical to the DDS in terms of maximum damage potential per second, which is why it makes no sense to use PvM. However, in a PvP setting, the claws are basically just a bad luck reducer. Sure, you wont be hitting any 40 40 40 40 specs on people...your total damage in a single round of combat is basically the same. However you now have a much better chance of getting a high hitting special (though you do have less special attacks)

NOTE: a couple things are still unclear atm. For example, if you hit a 40 on the first swipe, and then a 0 on the second, it is unclear if you get 50% and 50% on your final two hits. I havent been able to figure this out yet because it seems as of now that after you hit a damage, your following hits have a very high sucess rate of doing SOME damage. If anyone has footage of a 40 0 20 20 or a 40 0 0 40 type of a hit, let me know...

This is also what I have assumed to be the case.

There is also on occasion where you will hit 1 0 and that is all. You only get 2 hits, but believe it or not, it makes sense. Myweponsg00d's explanation to how the special works explains why this happens. This is due because on the first hit, you hit a 1. From my experience the 2nd hit can still hit reasonably high, but it of course can never equal or exceed the first hit. Meaning in this case, that it cannot equal or exceed 1, meaning it has to hit 0. Due to the nature of this, the last two hits don't show as it would be pointless to show (25% of 0 or 200% of 0 is still 0). So hitting a 1 for your first damage is actually worse than a 0 :lol: .

Not sure where you got that information from but it can't be right, have been using my friends pair of D claws and hit nothing like that. I've hit three 0's and a 41 (can't remember the order they were in).

My claws ::' .

ydrasil.png

I went through some video clips of a pure PKing with dragon claws. Out of the 11 kills + ROL'd target, only three special attacks did not follow the pattern.

20 - 10 - 5 - 6

11 - 2 - 5 - 6

9 - 9 - 5 - 6

Interestingly, all three ended in "5 - 6". I admit, the second one may be off, since I can't tell if the 2 was from ring of recoil or the actual hit.

The other was a 9 - 9 - 6 - 5.

Anyways, it's safe to say that the formula posted above is wrong. There might be a special calculation, but the second third and fourth hits definitely can surpass the first.

EDIT: I'm going through YT videos now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZocOa28T ... re=related

0:30 has a 32 - 17 - 16

0:36 has a 26 - 13 - 14

0:41 has a 24 - 12 - 7 - 6 and 32 - 16 - 9 - 8

0:49 has a 36 - 18 - 10 - 9

0:53 has a 24 - 13 - 12

So that theory / formula is definitely wrong. However, it's interesting that when the formula is off, it's almost always off by 1. Only two examples from the video clips I have are off by more than 1, and one of them may be incorrect thanks to recoil ring.

@ Soma - The formula is correct, but varies slightly. I spent 2 hours testing them in clan wars, screenshotting hits. My hits were almost always double my max, but often were 1 over or under it. Interestingly enough, there seemed to be a pattern - I have several shots where I hit a certain number (say 36) for my first hit, and my next 3 hits were always the same, with the hits adding up to 1 over twice max. And yes, they own badly - I'll be buying my own pair in a few days. Assuming a max hit of 43 to 45 for the claws, with the average beginning hit at 22, your averaging 88 damage per 2 specs, so fast that when rushed your opponent rarely has time to eat. They work on the same animation type as rune crossbow, pausing and locking you into position during the spec then 'snapping' back to where you should be afterwords. This means that you can rush someone - especially when running, and be as much as 6 squares away while hitting them, giving them virtually no warning. If your average beginning hits for the two specs are 2-3 higher then average, and your spec doesn't miss (It is very accurate; I only specced 1-0 1-0 one time, on a 130 in torags\d fire shield. 1-0 seems to be the 'miss' spec, as it happens more frequently on high level players in good armor.), you will have a 2 hit at drag dagger speed KO. The claws do seem to hit very high frequently; Jagex may be tampering with the hits behind the scenes as they briefly hinted at in the KB.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I went through some video clips of a pure PKing with dragon claws. Out of the 11 kills + ROL'd target, only three special attacks did not follow the pattern.

20 - 10 - 5 - 6

11 - 2 - 5 - 6

9 - 9 - 5 - 6

Interestingly, all three ended in "5 - 6". I admit, the second one may be off, since I can't tell if the 2 was from ring of recoil or the actual hit.

The other was a 9 - 9 - 6 - 5.

Anyways, it's safe to say that the formula posted above is wrong. There might be a special calculation, but the second third and fourth hits definitely can surpass the first.

EDIT: I'm going through YT videos now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZocOa28T ... re=related

0:30 has a 32 - 17 - 16

0:36 has a 26 - 13 - 14

0:41 has a 24 - 12 - 7 - 6 and 32 - 16 - 9 - 8

0:49 has a 36 - 18 - 10 - 9

0:53 has a 24 - 13 - 12

So that theory / formula is definitely wrong. However, it's interesting that when the formula is off, it's almost always off by 1. Only two examples from the video clips I have are off by more than 1, and one of them may be incorrect thanks to recoil ring.

Yes, you are correct that it is not 100% accurate, and the flaw seems to be in the rounding. I have also come to notice that typically, either the 3rd or the 4th hit will be one higher than the other. i.e. I have never seen something along the lines of 20 10 6 6 it would be 20 10 6 5 or 20 10 5 6. I think that there may be a rounding mechanism in work that is designed to eliminate mechanical flaws when dealing between odd and even numbers. It seems that for the 3rd or 4th hit only, there is a possibility of one being rounded up to be one damage higher than what should be allowed. Which begs a couple of strange new possible specs. What about a 30 0 0 31? Numerically this seems possible based on the pattern. Also, it is worth noting that for the second hit (not the second damage, but only for the second SWIPE), it seems to be rounded DOWN. I am basing this on the observation that I haven't ever seen a 24 13 or a 25 13 on the first two SWIPES. The real puzzle is the 1-0 specials that then stop completely. It seems that, hypothetically, upon hitting a 1, your second swipe can have a max of 50% rounded down, which would definitely give you zero. However, it seems that for any other special, if you hit a zero on your second swipe, that damage reduction is skipped and you then have the chance to hit of 100% 0 50% 50%. Based on other maxes, it seems one of these remaining 50% hits should be able to be rounded up and give you another 1...but the spec just stops after two hits. Either there is some type of rounding complexity that I don't understand, or Jagex has designed the 1-0 case to be a specific fail case of the special.

Also this video seems to answer my question that a zero hit is always "skipped" when reducing the possible damage. the 32 0 17 16 confirms this.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

What really bothers me is the 9 - 9 - 6 - 5 special I saw. I may upload it sometime when I have a chance, but that one hit defeats pretty much any theory we have.

It's worth noting that the first and second hits are calculated simultaneously. That is, it doesn't really matter to the game which is first... so 0-30 is, for all intents and purposes, effectively the same as a 30-0.

EDIT: Okay, since the file is an AVI, it's absolutely huge and it would take an hour or so to upload. I could instead process it with windows movie maker, but that tends to make the results look murky, and will still take half an hour or so to convert and upload. So instead I played the video and took a screenshot of the attack.

9965fs9.png

The two 9s appeared simultaneously. Then the 6 and 5 appeared, killing the victim.

Almost immediately after I finished taking this screenshot, my brother (who got a d claws through LS with me at Tormented Demons) hit a 12 - 9 - 4 - 3 at castle wars, which also doesn't fit the pattern we have.

My guess is that Jagex has "patterns" programmed in for whichever attack hit first.

First Two Attacks:

If both hit:

Common: One hits near max, one hits about half max

-- The last two attacks both hit about a quarter of the max.

-- One of the last two attacks hits about max, the other hits zero or one.

Uncommon: Both of them hit near max

-- The last two attacks both hit zero or one.

Rare: Both of them hit about half max

-- The last two attacks both hit about a quarter of the max.

If one hits:

It hits near max.

-- The last two attacks each hit about half

If neither hits, it goes on to the second set of two hits as if the first two hits never occurred.

Dang, I spent 250m+ on a monster with the same spec that blows in comparison to these d claws that cost a few mills.

I no longer think I got the good end of the deal. :lol:

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Dang, I spent 250m+ on a monster with the same spec that blows in comparison to these d claws that cost a few mills.

I no longer think I got the good end of the deal. :lol:

Well it can be used slightly more often, and against things with low defense the difference isn't too great :P

i think dd is better cause of its special attack :)

i think u werent paying attention in special attack class :)

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Dragon Claws, fast owning and can kill lv 138s with the 2 specs.

Not like a dragon dagger can't :P.

Max is 43x2, so 43*4=172, much more than enough. Not to mention it's more accurate, poisonable, and you can wear a defender.

Sure, claws are better for pvp, but they're not ALL that much better.

EDIT: actually calculated that wrong, a single hit can hit 43, so it's actually in the region of ~350.

Ehh wrong, look at the stats d claws vs dds... D Claws win specwise and statwise

this-is-why-im-hot-super-mario-bros-fire-flower-funny-video-game-t-shirt-snorgtees.gif

GT: JRD is AvT

YT: hatethegamer

Youtube has nothing on it atm, but getting HD PVR within a month, so watch this space.

Dragon Claws, fast owning and can kill lv 138s with the 2 specs.

Not like a dragon dagger can't :P.

Max is 43x2, so 43*4=172, much more than enough. Not to mention it's more accurate, poisonable, and you can wear a defender.

Sure, claws are better for pvp, but they're not ALL that much better.

EDIT: actually calculated that wrong, a single hit can hit 43, so it's actually in the region of ~350.

Ehh wrong, look at the stats d claws vs dds... D Claws win specwise and statwise

claws have deadly accuracy even on high armour a dragon daggers accuracy against even ahrims is horrible

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I'm lending my claws out now each day to get rid of my junk, then it'll be as if I bought them for trade price. 8-)

Could I borrow? :D

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

• 1 month later...
a double 50 + with full void RANGED and a god book seems very unlikely. Not saying it's fake, but I'm suspicious...

It's and old glitch that's been fixed, and I'm curious as to why this person keeps posting that video...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

a double 50 + with full void RANGED and a god book seems very unlikely. Not saying it's fake, but I'm suspicious...

It's and old glitch that's been fixed, and I'm curious as to why this person keeps posting that video...

Out of curiosity, what was the glitch?

OT, I'd take D claws over DDS anyday. Who cares about cost when you have a spec THAT epic :P

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

OT, I'd take D claws over DDS anyday. Who cares about cost when you have a spec THAT epic :P

You could equip a rune crossbow with onyx bolts (void boosted your max hit by 10 and your accuracy by a big chunk), then use hotkeys and left clicking to equip a weapon without letting the game's void effect know. You then had +10 added on to every hit, along with a huge accuracy jump. It would be epic with d claws, every one of the 8 hits would be 10 higher for basically guaranteed KOs #-o

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

You could equip a rune crossbow with onyx bolts (void boosted your max hit by 10 and your accuracy by a big chunk), then use hotkeys and left clicking to equip a weapon without letting the game's void effect know. You then had +10 added on to every hit, along with a huge accuracy jump. It would be epic with d claws, every one of the 8 hits would be 10 higher for basically guaranteed KOs #-o

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: .

I'd take the claws over a DDS anytime as well. Now if only I could afford it -.- .

sig-4504.jpg

^ Refresh for a new signature ^

090125180013cc9.png

im confused on how d claws hit

ive seen these hits

32-16-8-4 (sensible hit according to formula)

0-0-0-41 (still sensible as its taken from first strike that damages)

15-0-0-16 wtf!?

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I can't even comment really never had d claws but they do look pretty awesome the spec looks awesome 4 hits, you could max hit on 3 of them and have the target hangin on by a thread but the dds can also have the same effect with its specs used all in one and you get a shield/defender so its close I guess.