Jeb Bush possibly running for senate in 2010?

DragnFly

You're a nasty little bugger, aren't ya?

The notion that not wanting someone in power whose political opinions clash with yours makes you "fascist" is also pretty nasty, is it not?

...but yes, yes I am.

Personally, I'm in support of facism. Why should the people think, when some else can think for them?

:P

I know you've been here longer than me. I just think you're being ridiculously hostile and a bit of a hypocrite (if you've seen many of my posts, you'll know I am, too). Ah well, can't see eye to eye with everyone. Sorry 'bout being such a jerk in my post, that was pretty ridiculous.

Also, I find it interesting that you don't want the respect of fellow forumgoers. I sure do - but, I've been relatively active for a while, and built a little bit of a bond between people. I like having peoples' respect and giving it to others.

Meh. To each his own, eh Collective?

I guess I'll get kinda back on-topic. I don't much know/care about the Senate. Heh. He seems like he'd be competent, at least, even though I don't agree with him on all issues.

Is it bad that when I first saw him I thought of the show "Lil' Bush"'s rendition of him?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Venomai was far too kind.

I am "kind" (if you really want to call it that) for a reason. I respect the views of others in a debate, even if they differ from my own, and I do not want to see them leave on the grounds of childish and pointless flame wars.

Debates are boring without a basic difference in opinion. You might not care to debate, but I do. [in short, if your only intention here is to irritate other members, please GTFO.]

Personally, I'm in support of facism. Why should the people think, when some else can think for them?

I think it really depends on who's doing the thinking. :)

You might not care to debate, but I do. [in short, if your only intention here is to irritate other members, please GTFO.]

False dichotomy. My intention was neither to debate nor simply to irritate people. My intention was to draw attention to the absurdity of Barihawk's post was in a somewhat more direct way than you seem willing to. I don't think what he wrote is worthy of "respect", not least because I don't believe that it's really what he thinks. He knows perfectly well how much of an influence politicians' opinions have on their actions and, quite rightly, their electability. I would hope he's also aware that 'fascism' and 'voting for people who believe as you do' aren't even in the same ball park.

On that note, why don't we teach more abstinence in schools?

Ooh! I know this! I know this! It's because it doesn't work! That's why!

You didn't catch the satire there, did you? Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear.

Also:

God forbid someone who thinks differently than you do should ever be put into power. Let's turn this into a fascist police state and condition everyone to believe the same thing. Wouldn't that be nice. No war, violence, crime. Yeah.

and the rest of the post after it is the dumbest [cabbage] I've ever read. Your argument effectively boils down to "Vote for my preferred candidate or you're a Nazi."

Of course someone's political view points should affect whether or not they're elected to a position of power. That's the entire point of democracy. Are you 'speshul' or something?

Edit: All right, not the *entire* point.

*Sigh*

I was presenting hyperbole. I was expressing the point of view that it is not worth having all the peace and safety if it comes at the cost of differing opinions. Jeb has not harmed anyone with his personal beliefs. I never called anyone Nazi, and I never told anyone to vote for Bush. For one thing, he's not "my candidate." I am simply sticking up for him considering that people are bashing on him purely for the fact that his brother is George Bush.

I think the fact that I teach government and history gives me the right to try to make people think a bit. Which is what I have done with Magekllr. He and I have been having these discussions for years.

. I don't think what he wrote is worthy of "respect", not least because I don't believe that it's really what he thinks. He knows perfectly well how much of an influence politicians' opinions have on their actions and, quite rightly, their electability.

At least you thought for a moment. You are correct. I know that their opinions have influences. But should it? It shows how shallow our political process has become. We do not elect based on results, merely on a "popularity contest" of sorts. In this case, more of the infamous nature of Jeb's brother. If they were not related, this would not even be newsworthy. Nobody would even care, outside a few people in Florida.

Thank you Quoi_Tu. I can always leave it to you to see satire, whether you agree with me or not :P.

I've been here longer than you. Hell, I've been here longer than him. I have no interest in 'debating' him - his post was absolutely ridiculous and I felt like pointing that out. Venomai was far too kind.

My post was intended to be ridiculous. Since you've been here so long you should know my debating style well. I've only been here arguing with people for close to three years now. Just because you've been here "longer" does not mean you have experience participating in these debates. If you really believe that having a join date earlier than ours makes you right, then you are having problems anyways.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

You didn't catch the satire there, did you? Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear.
On that note, why don't we teach more abstinence in schools? Not for religious reasons but for the fact that teenagers screw up sexual relationships? Off topic, but food for thought. I expect a crapstorm because most of you ARE teenagers but I digress.

...no, that wasn't satire. Claim that it was if you like, but know that it warms me to the depths of my soul to see you back down so quickly.

I was presenting hyperbole.
His name was Strom Thurman and he served in the Senate for forty years, only retiring in the last decade. People still voted for him because while he had very controversial political beliefs, he represented his constituency well. He was a good Senator.

Despite what you may think, everyone has a personal set of beliefs. They do not always involve these in everything they do. Most politicians don't. Most Senators do not. If Jeb Bush got elected, you'd forget about him in months.

So what, you were just trolling with that reply then? Ooh, it's that warm feeling again!

Honestly, that was some of the fastest and most unconvincing back-tracking I've ever seen. I'd ask for an encore but you'd have to climb back in to the womb. Spectacular.

I've been here longer than you. Hell, I've been here longer than him. I have no interest in 'debating' him - his post was absolutely ridiculous and I felt like pointing that out. Venomai was far too kind.
If you really believe that having a join date earlier than ours makes you right, then you are having problems anyways.

Helps to cut out what I was responding to, doesn't it?

Nobody is trolling here but you, bud. I for one have not used any personal attacks here. I was responding to magekllr in a way that would get him to open up. You are a third wheel who seems to have some attitude that you are right and everyone else is wrong, and that you have to win. But, you don't. It's not your argument.

EDIT: After reading acquariusman's post below mine. I had meant last night to say (it was 1AM, I was tired) that I am against abstinence only education. I tell my students and will tell my children that if they absolutely must have sex, protect yourselves.

The reason I made my joke there is because kids go out and have sex for the sake of having sex and it usually wrecks their social lives or somewhat, where the punchline that it might have been better for them to be abstinent. Ha ha. Hence the little explanation after I said "Let's do abstinence only!" which seems to have been left out by people quoting.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

If you are just here to point out the "ridiculousness" of Barihawk's post, then that's you flaming him. First of all, bring something worthwhile to the discussion not "Look at how bad his post is! All his points must be invalid because of that!". It's like a smear campaign, no one is going to like you, no one is going to care how long you've been on the forum, everyone is going to think you're immature, regardless of how long you've been on the forums.

Now, I disagree with Jeb's personal opinions, and the fact that he's George W's brother, but if he's proven to be economically sound, I don't see why he shouldn't be on the Senate during an "Economic Crisis". Also, it's called sex education for a reason. Yes, I agree that putting an emphasis on abstinence won't hurt, but present us with all options available for contraceptives and protection. Norplant implants, condoms, the pill, hormone injections, diaphragm, IUD's, and the best protection being abstinence. All of them I've been taught about, but abstinence was always emphasized as the only contraceptive method that guarantees protection. It might not give me the mindset that sex is evil and I shouldn't do it until I'm married, which is an absurd idea anyways, but it will at least keep me aware of the dangers. As long as protection is taught before telling the students not to have sex, I'm fine with it. It's hard to keep teenagers from having sex, it's not like you can strap a chastity belt on them or always watch them.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

I was responding to magekllr in a way that would get him to open up.

In the part I quoted you were in fact blatantly responding to venomai, well after your original "deliberate" hyperbole and still defending it...but ok.

Hence the little explanation after I said "Let's do abstinence only!" which seems to have been left out by people quoting.

I agree, it does indeed appear that everyone else missed your non-existent punchline. Including your best friend forever venomai and quite possibly Lenticular.

[Edited] To sum up: I don't believe for a second that you were using satire on the abstinence topic, and if you were then I most certainly wasn't the only one not to notice. I might, just about, be able to swallow that you were using hyperbole when you mentioned 'fascism', but that really doesn't make your point much better.

no one is going to care how long you've been on the forum, everyone is going to think you're immature, regardless of how long you've been on the forums.

...and I still won't care. Again, I was responding to someone else mentioning how long they've been on the forums. Did you miss that, or is that really the best I've given you to criticize me for? It's nonsense like that that makes me not care what 90% of this forum's users think of me.

On that note, why don't we teach more abstinence in schools?

Someone tell me, how much do they in America?

Not much, to be honest. We always just got the "use a condom" speech and that was years ago.

Untitled.png

Someone tell me, how much do they in America?

In my school last year they taught us every method there was, emphasizing abstinence. They helped get that point across by doing the STD lesson the same day.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream