Top all time favourite PC games?

Iamdan

What is everyone's favourite pc games that really stand out to them? I need a new game to play.

Here are some of mine:

The secret of monkey island (and the rest of the series is also awesome)

This game is 18 years old and I never get tired of it. Credited to be the first video game to use humor, it is an adventure game full of puzzles. The only thing more kick [wagon] than playing a non linear pirate adventure game filled with puzzles and subtle mature humor, is playing a non linear pirate adventure game filled with puzzles and subtle mature humor while eating a steak and washing it down with a bottle of tabasco sauce, while having your girlfriend change your oil filter.

This game had me hooked from the moment the game opened with you taking to a blind lookout, before looking at a poster saying "Vote governor Marley, when there is only one candidate there is only one choice." It is made by Lucasarts - the same guys that wrote star wars, indiana jones etc.

Deus Ex 1

Dues Ex is the only FPS I know of that you can finish without killing anybody, or taking any damage. Your character is fairly customizable, you can advance skills and make choices in augmentations for yourself. Depending on your style of play, to get into a room you can run in guns blazing, hack a turret to do the work for you, go in from the sewer, bribe somebody for an elevator code for a nearby building and snipe from the top, disable the cameras and sneak around by tranquilizing one person at a time etc etc etc.

KOTOR1+2

It's an rpg where you get to play a jedi. Brilliant game play and storyline, 'nuff said.

Phantasie 3

One of, if not the first non text RPG - is easily better than 98%+ of RPGs today

A few more of my other favourites include AOE2, (expansion) GH2, portal, cod4 and fear

Not sure about favorite but I have some super awesome memories of Starcraft and Thug 2 online. <3:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Ooh, these threads are always fun. I'll talk about my top 3.

Half Life

The best game of all time. Half life is one of the very few games I can say took advantage of the video game medium to it's full extent, creating a truely chaotic world where you didn't know what was going on. You had no idea the military was bad when they came, and the only way you found it out was when the bastards started shooting at you. On a first run through there is a seemingly lack of an apparent storyline other than get the [bleep] out, but after repeated playthroughs (I have played through HL1 at least five times fully) you come to apreciate the subtle things they placed into the game. Valve has known what they were going to do ever since the begining of HL1. They knew what HL2 would be, what EP1 and EP2 would be. The pieces all come together so well it's scary, and the Gman is still the best video game adversary of all time. No other game can create the atmosphere that Half life did, and if you have not played this masterpiece you deserve it to yourself to do so. There is a reason this game is often #1 on many lists.

Dead Space

It feels odd, somehow, placing a game in my top 3 that came out this year but it deserves it. EA did a wonderful job creating this masterpiece of horror. You remember how I said that Half life was one of the few games that took advantage of the medium? Well, Dead space is that other game. It has very minimal cutscenes, the only ones being in situations in which your character has no control himself. The game is a masterpiece, bringing in a new meaning to the way a horror game should be made. Clues are paced throughout the game in a typical fashion, but this is no ordinary game. The atmosphere is top notch and the monster design is creepy. The storyline will keep you guessing until the end, and after all of this it feels good to know that it is the end. No cliffhanger ending [cabbage]. Just a finale that is much needed in video games today.

Oh, and the bosses are the largest monsters I have ever seen in a video game. Truly , truly epic.

Chrono Trigger

This deserves a mention. Chrono Trigger is one of those timeless games that can not age. The storyline, even today, is a unique tale. There is no angsty teen avenging his family from a madman. Instead Chrono Trigger eases you into everything, and the first time you see the main boss of the game your heart will pound. Even over a decade later this game can pull at your heart. The recent re-release for the NDS made me realize how much I still loved this game. The combat is wonderful, the story is wonderful, the music is some of the best out of any game ever made. It's another classic.

And obviously Half life 2 is up there on my list too, but I felt having 2 half lifes was too much.

Thief

Still my favourite series of all time. Playing as Garret and overcoming obstacles by stealth and brains instead of just shooting everything was brilliant. It also has such an immersive world and Garret has a fantastic back story. Even though the 3rd in the series was made by a different company when Looking Glass went kaput, it was still a brilliant game. Some of the best FMV's between levels.

Baldur's Gate/The Witcher/Planescape Torment

I'm a sucker for Dnd and RPG's so I couldn't separate these. The Baldur's Gate series is brilliant, Planescape Torment was equally brilliant.

The Witcher is the newest of the 3 and I believe it is just as good as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. A game where your decisions actually make a difference and where the choices you choose are not just black and white. Do you kill a witch who has been killing people, or do you kill the person who gave you the mission and who is a pedophile? Plus they've released an enhanced version and a similar version is being released for consoles.

System Shock 2

Scary, scary game. Plus SHODAN is one of the best villains around. I suppose you could call it the predecessor for Bioshock with its feel and setting. It fairly old and doesn't look too great these days, so I haven't played it in a while. But it's one of those games that I have to fondest memories about.

I'd agree with Nadril in that Half Life and Chrono Trigger are some of the best games around also, as well as Iamdan with Deus Ex. The PC is really the best platform for games and I'm glad that I'm a player.

Duke. Nukem. 3d.

Ultimate/Final Doom > Duke 3D.

Thats not to say Duke 3D was a bad game, its one of my favourite FPS ever. Because he has BALLS BALLS BALLS OF STEEEEEL.

I truly miss the days when games could be about a nameless badass just killing aliens/demons because they came and decided to [cabbage] all over his planet with no real plot or character development other than bigger guns.

Red Alert 2 (not Yuri's Revenge)

Thirded. I played RA2 for a long time before getting Yuri and honestly what the hell. IN UR BASE TAKIN UR STUFF is annoying.

The secret of monkey island (and the rest of the series is also awesome)

This game is 18 years old and I never get tired of it. Credited to be the first video game to use humor, it is an adventure game full of puzzles. The only thing more kick [wagon] than playing a non linear pirate adventure game filled with puzzles and subtle mature humor, is playing a non linear pirate adventure game filled with puzzles and subtle mature humor while eating a steak and washing it down with a bottle of tabasco sauce, while having your girlfriend change your oil filter.

This game had me hooked from the moment the game opened with you taking to a blind lookout, before looking at a poster saying "Vote governor Marley, when there is only one candidate there is only one choice." It is made by Lucasarts - the same guys that wrote star wars, indiana jones etc.

Agreed so much. If you havent played any of the Monkey Island games, you play like a dairy farmer.

duel.gif

Also, Grim Fandango.

Christ, I miss the 90s.

knkcopy.jpg

StarCraft, or Age of Empires: The Conquerors.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Eh. So many great games to choose from.

In no particular order:

1. Age of Empires (First two + expansions)

Note that I didn't mention the third. It sucks. However, the first two were godly. The first? Well, I love ancient history. Though the graphics are lousy (Decent for their time, if not good), and the gameplay isn't that deep, it's a good game. The second? Possibly the greatest historical strategy game ever.

2. Starcraft

Need I explain? It's sold about 10 million copies for a reason. I think this is where my inner Korean (No, I'm not Korean at all, but I love spicy food and their style of games) comes out.

3. Civilization (IV/Warlords)

What you pay for isn't much. A few scenarios, not that great. But when you delve into the world of mods, you get lost. There are thousands of mods for it, ranging from a quite accurate historical version (RFC) to fantasy (Fall From Heaven). Not to mention creating your own mods is easy.

4. Rome: Total War

Massive battles = Awesome.

5. Orange Box

No, it's not one game. But it's one helluva purchase. (Just saying, "helluva" is apparently a word) I can't really pick one, all great games.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

How did I forget Tetris? Still play it to this day.

And my first real PC game was probably Speedy Eggbert, so it gets a special mention. I doubt anyone here has ever heard of it.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Alright, I'll try to give some non-conventional answers. I could spout off on the glories of Fallout and Commander Keen, but those are way too obvious.

Traffic Department 2192: This was, for me, the first game where I actually paid attention to the story. It was a fairly mundane top-down space shooter, but the story was absolutely brilliant. Each mission was linked to the next by lengthy dialogues that were incredibly well written. What also helps is that the main character has some serious issues with pretty much everybody around her. There were some adult themes (nothing graphic, some text), but they all made sense within the story and it was never just profanity for profanity's sake.

One Must Fall 2097: A 2D fighting game for the PC that featured huge robots in stead of humans. The game played incredibly smoothly and because of 11 robots that were distinctly different from each other it never really seemed to get old. Besides the standard arcade mode that every fighting game has, it also came with a tournament mode that allowed you to fight up various ladders to earn cash to train your pilot and upgrade your robot. You can even unlock special enhancements such as special moves that can be performed in the air or being able to launch multiple projectiles at once by beating hidden opponents. A fully upgraded tournament bot was also much faster than a regular bot, which meant that they had way more options to do combos.

Street Shuffle: A Windows 3.1 puzzle game that was all about... shuffling streets. The premise is just completely random. In the future, streets are built on plates that can rearrange themselves so people will always take the shortest route. However, your taxi has been outfitted to hack this system, allowing you to take longer paths and make more money. This money buys you fuel, repairs (if you don't have a fully formed path by the time you start, you'll crash) and special upgrades such as shocks and snow tires.

^^^I've played and read about a lot of PC games and spent much time in PC game circles, and I can honestly say I've never heard of any of those.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Finally someone else who gets this game.

I've played many of the games mentioned by others (and many of them among my top 10), but this one is easily at the top.

Others that haven't been mentioned: Max Payne 2 (near-perfect in everything it does), and Warcraft III. WC3 is the sort of game that has layers: it's extremely accessible and many played it for a short time in 4v4 team games or a lot of DOTA, but you can only truly appreciate this game in more serious 1v1 and 2v2 matches. That's where this game shines above all other RTS games, including AoE2. The balance, the attention to detail, the variety and the refined features make it much better than similar games, but the heros/RPG elements are really what make this pretty well unmatchable. I can hardly even play traditional economy/military RTS anymore because so many of them seem to encourage turtling and avoidance. They don't encourage engaging foes and taking damage because there's no benefit, and this is particularly noticable when you are on even footing unit wise. Because they discourage confrontation they get in the way of the intense micromanagement which is really what makes this game so amazing to experience. Its in a whole higher class than Starcraft, and people would probably realise that if they set nostalgia aside.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

One Must Fall 2097

oo, I have only played the 3-d big brother that i heard was not as good. Though the dynamic music of omf battlegrounds was sweet.

I am surprised there is no Mechwarrior, Tribes, or diablo love.

For me the Earthsiege series only got to play the last 2. Earthsiege because one failed mission did not loose the war for humanity, you just battled more enemies in later missions. Also if you failed to protect certain bases that had weapon prototypes you never really got to see that weapon.

And starsiege just because the level of customization is scary.

The incredible machine, puzzle game where you are given different 'things' where you then try to get them to work to achieve some sort of goal, like get a ball over a wall using ramps, conveyor belts, motors, generators etc.

Halflife1