Joe Satriani accuses Coldplay of plagerism

buloo

Rock guitarist Joe Satriani has sued British band Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed on Thursday in Los Angeles federal court, claims the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."

The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement.

Coldplay, whose soaring atmospheric tunes are often compared to those of Irish rock band U2, received seven Grammy nominations on Wednesday, second only to rapper Lil Wayne.

Among its mentions were nominations in the key record and song of the year categories for "Viva La Vida," which comes from the band's chart-topping album "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends."

The song is credited to the band's four members, singer Chris Martin; bass player Guy Berryman; guitarist Johnny Buckland; and drummer Will Champion. The title was inspired by a painting by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.

The Satriani track comes from his album "Is There Love In Space?" Further comment from Satriani's attorney, or reaction from Coldplay's management was not immediately available.

Source: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/gen ... arism.html

Here is a comparison I found on Youtube:

1ofFw9DKu_I

What do you think? I think Satriani has a really good case and even if he isn't found in favour he just gained some brilliant exposure across the more mainstream music as it seems to be making news on most, if not all stations over here.

I hope he wins, shame on Coldplay. I was starting to really loose interest in the band and now it is turning more and more into a dislike of them... Hopefully Satriani comes back to Australia soon, I'd love to see him again :D

buloo

Reminds me of the whole Dani California/Last Dance with Mary Jane thing.

I think we'd be naive to assume that no musician ever draws from another, and yes, perhaps it could even be a coincidence. There are quite a lot of songs, surely two are going to sound vastly similar after a while? But that also seems rather naive. It could only really have been two things:

1. Plagiarism, or

2. Chris (or another band member) heard the song before, it got stuck in his mind in the way that songs often do, and was dragged back up a few years later as a seemingly original melody. I mean, it is possible that this is an honest mistake. Like, say, deja vu. Our minds are very odd things.

With all this said, Joe's guitar work there is just plain offensive to listen to. The synth-ey orchestral sound is a far better way to approach that melody. :-#

With all this said, Joe's guitar work there is just plain offensive to listen to. The synth-ey orchestral sound is a far better way to approach that melody. :-#

That's entirely beside the point, the point being, they should have given credit where due.

Also, it's a matter of opinion, I personally find Coldplay's music quite boring.

Edit: I just listened to the Coldplay song. Not a very subtle case of plagiarism, is it? Let the payment of royalties ensue ^^

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

I think we'd be naive to assume that no musician ever draws from another, and yes, perhaps it could even be a coincidence. There are quite a lot of songs, surely two are going to sound vastly similar after a while? But that also seems rather naive.

That's totally irrelevant. If you copy someone else's original work, it doesn't matter whether it's a speech, artwork, or music. You have to give royalties and credit.

Then, I hate most of Coldplay's works anyway. Most unoriginal band ever.

Maybe instead of massive suing, they should combine on an album. That combination [bleep]ing rocked.

Anyways, I'd like to think it was an honest mistake, but there's never any knowing. Joe will likely win.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I think they're fairly similar, though this:

2. Chris (or another band member) heard the song before, it got stuck in his mind in the way that songs often do, and was dragged back up a few years later as a seemingly original melody. I mean, it is possible that this is an honest mistake. Like, say, deja vu. Our minds are very odd things.

Is a more likely scenario than straight plagiarism.

That said, I know almost nothing about Coldplay, and am a fan of Satriani.

Except Tom Petty didn't sue, because there is almost zero chance it was intentional and they aren't nearly as similar as this. This is pretty blatant.

Reminds me of All Summer Long by Kid Rock. Apparently he has Skynyrd's permission, because that song is so ripped from Sweet Home Alabama and a bit of Werewolves of London he'd lose in court instantly.

Also always thought that the intro to Sublime's What I Got sounds way too much like Lady Madonna by the Beatles. And the intro to Santeria sounds like the intro to Under the Bridge by RHCP.

p2gq.jpg

Saw this on msnbc.com today while procrastinating in computer science class. I think Satriani has a pretty good case. I sent this to my mom (I big Coldplay fan) and she even said that they sound exactly the same.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

Lol @ Coldplay. Busted. :lol:

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Reminds me of All Summer Long by Kid Rock. Apparently he has Skynyrd's permission, because that song is so ripped from Sweet Home Alabama and a bit of Werewolves of London he'd lose in court instantly.

All Summer Long samples Lynyrd Skynryd which is legal as it involves Kid Rock paying them for the privilege (even though his song is horrible).

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Except Tom Petty didn't sue, because there is almost zero chance it was intentional and they aren't nearly as similar as this. This is pretty blatant.

Yeah, but Tom Petty just kicks [wagon] period.

Very true.

Also always thought that the intro to Sublime's What I Got sounds way too much like Lady Madonna by the Beatles. And the intro to Santeria sounds like the intro to Under the Bridge by RHCP.

I'm about 96% sure that...

1) They've credited the Beatles for part of What I got.

2) Under the Bridge was recorded after Santeria. Although this one I'm a little bit less sure of.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

It is ranked among the 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time by Rolling Stone at #83. The song is noted for carrying a melody almost identical to that heard on The Beatles' "Lady Madonna", while the song itself is an adaptation of the track "Loving" by Half-Pint.

And Lenticular, Santeria was recorded after.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Well, he'd have a much better case if there was a significant resemblance between the lyrics, but I didn't hear any of his, so...

There doesn't need to be any resemblance lyrically, if you lift or sample any part of songs instrumentation deliberately without the permission of the rights owner (who is usually the original author) then it is illegal. It doesn't matter if you steal a whole verse or a drum beat, a guitar riff or the whole song - it will still be illegal without having permission.

For example The Verve were successfully sued by The Rolling Stones for using a minor violin part in one of their songs.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Lazily subjective statement.

Yeah I know. Anyone would think musical preference is subjective.

For example The Verve were successfully sued by The Rolling Stones for using a minor violin part in one of their songs.

Bittersweet Symphony, if I'm not mistaken. They received no royalties for that song even though it's their most famous by far, and it's more popular than the original piece it was used in.

Bittersweet Symphony, if I'm not mistaken. They received no royalties for that song even though it's their most famous by far, and it's more popular than the original piece it was used in.

Yeah, it was Bittersweet Symphony, I couldn't remember the Rolling Stones song that it sampled, it turns out that it was an obscure orchestral recording of The Last Time (which is itself a pretty decent song).

wild_bunch.gif

Lazily subjective statement.

Yeah I know. Anyone would think musical preference is subjective.

And yet you made the statement like it was fact. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

People usually state their opinions like that, unless they put the obvious "IMO" or something in front. It should be pretty obvious as to what's opinion and what's fact. Music preference is the easiest to determine of all, because it's all just opinion.

As for the topic, I can definitely hear a similarity there, so I think Satriani might have a case. I'm no expert on any legal precedents, though.