Great Orb Project - Jagex's Biggest Fail

magician_xy

I really hate to make a rant. As a matter of fact, this is my first rant - ever. But this is just something I cannot get over: The Great Orb Project minigame is THE WORST GAME EVER. The controls suck, it's got tons of bugs, and any and every lvl 50 runecrafting noob is allowed to play.

I'll start with my first point: Controls. I normally don't mind playing any game, even boring ones, but if the controls stink, I get exponentially angrier the longer I play. When I try to attract an orb, I have to make sure it's on a perfectly straight path, otherwise it will get stuck. And repelling? If I stand directly behind it, it will move off to the side. Controls that hard to understand and manipulate need to be adjusted.

Second point: the bugs. I've lost rounds to the other team because randomly, for whatever reason, my team will be unable to move the orbs at all, for a whole round. I've been left out a round because suddenly my feet stick to the floor like glue, and I can't advance to the next altar. I've even had the experience where we were collecting the most orbs, but the tally was not being marked for us. I mean, come on. How long has this game been out? And they still don't have things fixed? #-o

And now my final point: The noobs who play. No, I'm not talking about those people who have never played before and are not familiar with the controls, though those are somewhat annoying too (if they're on my team :roll:). I'm talking about those pathetic people who waltz through the game, doing absolutely nothing. They will literally stand at the edge of the field and wait until they get rune ess, then craft them. In addition to the rc experience, they also get any tokens we happen to win. And then they get to do it all again! Wow, free exp, free rewards, no effort? Sign me up! -.-

Again, if it weren't for the majorly obvious flaws in this game, I wouldn't be posting. But there are nowhere near as many bugs and glitches in other minigames as far as I can tell - why should GOP be the one that's filled with stupid problems?

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

Im sorry, but I have to disagree with you here.

Sure, the controls are buggy and there are fools who contributed absolutely nothing to the game, but that aspect isn't limited merely to GoP. However, GoP gives non members an incentive to Runecraft, something which was;

a) Utterly avoided before [most of F2P fitted into this category]

B) Trained to 44 in F2P and then the account holder immediately acquired members and went off to craft Natures.

c) Was trained only by the hardcore total level and skill purists.

In all the above the cases, it was painfully slow - with no Glories, Abyss, Pouchs, Weight Reducing items or decent monetary incentive to aid you in leveling it. GoP introduced remedied that to a certain extent, granting access to attractive Skilling gear, Pseudo Teletabs and much, much faster training.

I do appreciate your point about having slacking 'good-fer-nuthin' team mates who merely hinder your mini game experience, but that doesn't make Grand Orb Project a 'biggest fail' by any stretch of the imagination.

I still think I'm right.

I will admit, GOP does give very good incentive to raise RC. As a matter of fact, I myself would not have raised my runecrafting to 50 had GOP not existed. But just because it "gives motivation" does not mean that the game has to be horribly executed.

As a metaphorical example: If a student wants to get a good grade in a class (play GOP), he has to study for the test (level up Runecrafting). However, that kid can study for three days straight; if the test is poorly written, questions are worded vaguely, instructions are not clear (flaws in GOP) the student is not going to get a good grade.

Therefore, my reasoning stands that the test, or GOP, needs to be fixed, rather than saying, "Oh, well, the students wanted a good grade, so they studied for the test. It's really the studying that counts."

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

GOP amuses me. I don't think it's stupid and a waste of time, but I do think it needs some fixing. The bugs are really annoying and people who weight the teams (one team with high rcers and the rest of people get stuck on the other team to lose horribly) is pretty darn annoying. So I do think it needs some serious patching and tweaking. The bugs need to be fixed and I think the way teams are put together should really be looked at. I don't know how they'd alter it to fix people loading teams with high level rcers, but something should be put into place.

Seraphyna.png

Seraphyna.png

Wall of text below! -hides-

I'll start with my first point: Controls. I normally don't mind playing any game, even boring ones, but if the controls stink, I get exponentially angrier the longer I play. When I try to attract an orb, I have to make sure it's on a perfectly straight path, otherwise it will get stuck. And repelling? If I stand directly behind it, it will move off to the side. Controls that hard to understand and manipulate need to be adjusted.

The controls are just fine. There are tricks to it you just haven't found out yet. Like there are two ways to pull an orb free that is stuck behind a pillar. And possessing rc robes minus the hat will boost the response of the orbs even by the slightest bit.

Second point: the bugs. I've lost rounds to the other team because randomly, for whatever reason, my team will be unable to move the orbs at all, for a whole round. I've been left out a round because suddenly my feet stick to the floor like glue, and I can't advance to the next altar. I've even had the experience where we were collecting the most orbs, but the tally was not being marked for us. I mean, come on. How long has this game been out? And they still don't have things fixed?

I can only envision the entire team piling one orb as to why it won't move. If the orb doesn't move, reposition yourself or go find your own. Basic rule is one person one orb unless its a setup/bucket brigade. It's either the piling problem or the invisible wall glitch stopping the orb. About the tally not being marked for you - that's called the mind glitch. Whoever wins air, wins mind.

Yes, Jagex has got to fix these bugs.

And now my final point: The noobs who play. No, I'm not talking about those people who have never played before and are not familiar with the controls, though those are somewhat annoying too (if they're on my team ). I'm talking about those pathetic people who waltz through the game, doing absolutely nothing. They will literally stand at the edge of the field and wait until they get rune ess, then craft them. In addition to the rc experience, they also get any tokens we happen to win. And then they get to do it all again! Wow, free exp, free rewards, no effort? Sign me up!

If you're on the winning team and you suddenly find people slacking on mind, they're aware of the glitch. Leave them be. But otherwise, I agree. These are the ones who tend to shout, "go yellow/green" and tell others to work harder while they just laze around and type. The least they can do is defend. :wall:

I'm fortunate to have a dedicated GOP team so I don't often deal with random people. <3: If you're sick of being with bad teammates all the time, try to find the good ones and ask to play with them.

As a metaphorical example: If a student wants to get a good grade in a class (play GOP), he has to study for the test (level up Runecrafting). However, that kid can study for three days straight; if the test is poorly written, questions are worded vaguely, instructions are not clear (flaws in GOP) the student is not going to get a good grade.

Um, no. This metaphor doesn't work, because leveling up runecraft is a boooring grind until 50, and from there it's just a grind. You don't learn anything about GOP while gaining those 50 levels.

The problem with GOP is it throws you straight into the minigame without an extensive tutorial. Newbies don't become good players instantly or grasp all the nuances at once. You gain experience as you play along - timing on how to block an orb, the right spot to repel an orb in, and so on. Honestly, I like it that way. I'd rather not have a mass spoonfeed of GOP.

PS - If you played in 61, you probably saw my clanmates. I'm Pinata Sabre.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

• 3 months later...
"I'll start with my first point: Controls. I normally don't mind playing any game, even boring ones, but if the controls stink, I get exponentially angrier the longer I play. When I try to attract an orb, I have to make sure it's on a perfectly straight path, otherwise it will get stuck. And repelling? If I stand directly behind it, it will move off to the side. Controls that hard to understand and manipulate need to be adjusted.

You don't need a "perfectly straight path". There are angles, and positions where orbs can be pulled in easily.

Second point: the bugs. I've lost rounds to the other team because randomly, for whatever reason, my team will be unable to move the orbs at all, for a whole round. I've been left out a round because suddenly my feet stick to the floor like glue, and I can't advance to the next altar. I've even had the experience where we were collecting the most orbs, but the tally was not being marked for us. I mean, come on. How long has this game been out? And they still don't have things fixed? #-o

Reasons why it won't move : invisible barrier glitch, or piling& hugging. Two people pulling an orb in opposite directions, hm, I sure wonder why it doesn't move right. :roll: If your feet is stuck to the ground, go another direction. I've never met the glitch where orbs attracted to the altar aren't tallied, and I've played a while- you sure about that?

And now my final point: The noobs who play. No, I'm not talking about those people who have never played before and are not familiar with the controls, though those are somewhat annoying too (if they're on my team :roll:). I'm talking about those pathetic people who waltz through the game, doing absolutely nothing. They will literally stand at the edge of the field and wait until they get rune ess, then craft them. In addition to the rc experience, they also get any tokens we happen to win. And then they get to do it all again! Wow, free exp, free rewards, no effort? Sign me up! -.-

I don't care about people who just stand there and do nothing. I'm often with a team, and frankly, it's better for us to do all the work, rather than those idiots pulling orbs into ridiculous angles, repelling from altar, or whatevers. :wall: And for other people, especially at mind altar, it's due to the mind glitch. win air = win mind. I personally perfer to slack than do work on mind altar. :-# If they trouble you, then play with friends/teams.

Again, if it weren't for the majorly obvious flaws in this game, I wouldn't be posting. But there are nowhere near as many bugs and glitches in other minigames as far as I can tell - why should GOP be the one that's filled with stupid problems?

Bugs and Glitches are annoying, yes. But make use of them. Pull opponent orbs behind invisible glitched walls, barrier it, and watch them scream <3: , win air and slack on mind so you can talk to friends, etc. :lol:

Suak.png

runes.jpg

Money-2.jpg

I have barely played this minigame, but I also totally hate it. The thing I hate about it is the entire premise of wrangling those orbs into the center.

It's nowhere near as entertaining as FoG, and that's because it doesn't involve combat. Imagine you're drawing an orb in, when an opponent puts up a barrier in front of you. Instead of destroying the barrier, what if you could destroy that opponent with a barrage of arrows? Personally I think that would be a huge improvement.

31509signature.gif

Controls: I have no problem with these, I can handle most situations myself (thanks to Pinata <3: ), though to a less experienced player the controls might be painful.

Bugs: BLAAAARRGGGGHHH!

Yes, they are very annoying. The worst part is that this game has been here for a long time (6 months, at least?) and not a single thing has been fixed. Except blocking portals with barriers and some kind of team balancing system. RAGE

Leeches = freeloaders = piles of poo: I'm just happy if fruitcakes do this rather than pull orbs off course, repel our orbs, block our orbs... *shudder* but yeah, it's annoying when you think that he/she(/it?) could be replaced by another player who knows what (s)he's doing.

This thing keeps happening in some minigames. *cough* Soul Wars! *cough* Jagex has done something to prevent freeloading, though (maging/fletching while freeloading has been removed from all(?) minigames).

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still being discussed. It kinda dropped to the second page a few months ago, and now here it is again. Well, if it continues with good discussion, I'm all for it!

I still think GoP could be fixed up a ton. And with Jagex's promise to make this and "update year", I am fairly certain that they will look into this minigame to improve it. If you take a look at my sig (<3:) you'll see I've already gotten the runecrafting top, and since making that sig I've got the hat too. But I think I'll be taking the advice of some the above posters and quitting for now. I really can't stand how horribly made that game is, and until Jagex fixes it, I'll be boycotting it.

Which, if anything they say is true, shouldn't be too long. :^o -.-

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still being discussed. It kinda dropped to the second page a few months ago, and now here it is again. Well, if it continues with good discussion, I'm all for it!

I still think GoP could be fixed up a ton. And with Jagex's promise to make this and "update year", I am fairly certain that they will look into this minigame to improve it. If you take a look at my sig (<3:) you'll see I've already gotten the runecrafting top, and since making that sig I've got the hat too. But I think I'll be taking the advice of some the above posters and quitting for now. I really can't stand how horribly made that game is, and until Jagex fixes it, I'll be boycotting it.

Which, if anything they say is true, shouldn't be too long. :^o -.-

There are only about 335k accounts that are (currently) allowed to play GOP. Usually the stuff jagex fixes are the things that affect MANY people... like if there was a bug with BH - it could affect EVERYONE. These bugs in GOP aren't able to affect everyone because not everyone has access to it.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• 2 weeks later...

Well the bugs really need to be fixed, it is inexcusable that some of the most easy to fix glitches still exist in the game. I have been waiting months for these glitches to get fixed but they just dont. It is a neglected minigame which is quite a shame because it has quite a popular following.

As far as the noobs that just stand there and do nothing I prefer them over the people who try and help but only make things worse. :lol:

I am also fine with the controls, I think they take a while to get used to but you have to spend a long time at the place to get good at it. It is one of the few aspects of the game which actually takes into account the person's skill rather than their stats. And if any of you are wondering, I have seen no visible difference while wearing runecrafting robes or having a higher runecrafting level. A common misconception is that the person with the higher runecrafting level or sometimes even the combat level is the better player but I can tell you, this is just not true. Stacking does occur but it occurs in just about all the minigames.

I just tried it, and it is a very poor minigame. It's very frustrating, and the controls are counter-intuitive. Getting an omni-staff is going to be a real pain.

EDIT: The biggest flaw in the game is that there is no process of mid-game re-introduction which would balance the teams if players quit during the game, like what you get in Castlewars or Soul Wars. Often people quit the game because of this, so once someone quits it's a vicious circle.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

"I'll start with my first point: Controls. I normally don't mind playing any game, even boring ones, but if the controls stink, I get exponentially angrier the longer I play. When I try to attract an orb, I have to make sure it's on a perfectly straight path, otherwise it will get stuck. And repelling? If I stand directly behind it, it will move off to the side. Controls that hard to understand and manipulate need to be adjusted.

You don't need a "perfectly straight path". There are angles, and positions where orbs can be pulled in easily.

Reasons why it won't move : invisible barrier glitch, or piling& hugging. Two people pulling an orb in opposite directions, hm, I sure wonder why it doesn't move right. :roll: If your feet is stuck to the ground, go another direction. I've never met the glitch where orbs attracted to the altar aren't tallied, and I've played a while- you sure about that?

I don't care about people who just stand there and do nothing. I'm often with a team, and frankly, it's better for us to do all the work, rather than those idiots pulling orbs into ridiculous angles, repelling from altar, or whatevers. :wall: And for other people, especially at mind altar, it's due to the mind glitch. win air = win mind. I personally perfer to slack than do work on mind altar. :-# If they trouble you, then play with friends/teams.

Bugs and Glitches are annoying, yes. But make use of them. Pull opponent orbs behind invisible glitched walls, barrier it, and watch them scream <3: , win air and slack on mind so you can talk to friends, etc. :lol:

R u really qwedloki100? i see u alot. u really good. plz play with me sometimes?

R u really qwedloki100? i see u alot. u really good. plz play with me sometimes?

Lol..? :wall: If you're on the same color, then you'll be playing with me, if not, then you're not. And yes, qwedloki100 is my character =.= :wall:

Suak.png

runes.jpg

Money-2.jpg

And if any of you are wondering, I have seen no visible difference while wearing runecrafting robes or having a higher runecrafting level.

Higher Runecrafting level means higher speed, stronger barriers, and easier to remove barriers. Runecrafting robes gives you a small boost on runecrafting level (only in game).

Suak.png

runes.jpg

Money-2.jpg