RS Died one year ago today

TheDayRsDied

You clearly missed the point and purpose of the updates ENTIRELY.

Jag decided though that they could kill two birds with one stone-stop losers like you from jamming their message centers with "OMG I gawt PK3d its s0 m34n im g0nn4 kill u" and halt RWT.

That's the most idiotic thing I've heard in a long long time. Why would a company take away a large portion of their consumer base just because they were annoyed by hoards of numbnutters? (which by the way still exist, so that's completely wrong.)

And let's not forget this classic:

This wildy change was not aimed at stopping RWT. It was a marketing decison to throw their old faithful under the bus and addict 5 year olds to an online game in an unhealthy way.

Does that make any sense to anyone? They were attracting plenty of 5 year olds before, no question about it. So what you're saying is that Jagex LOVES to piss people off AND loose money. YEAH.

the December 10th updates, I would always see 175,000+ people on at this time. Now I'm lucky to see 130,000. Jagex was doing something right back then, which isn't happening now.

-Proves my point, they lost money/views. Now tell me. Why would they do that intentionally? Fun?

There's nothing wrong about missing what was changed, but your complaint and argument holds no water. You accuse people of passing macro/RWT/business rumors and telling them to shove off because they have little to no proof, but you are doing the same, but with baseless assumptions.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the December 10th updates, I would always see 175,000+ people on at this time. Now I'm lucky to see 130,000. Jagex was doing something right back then, which isn't happening now.

Statistics speak otherwise. Remember this is compared to other page views, which is constantly rising.

Page views do not equal players. Some people would now go to the site to view that G.E. database, or the Knowledge Base. Perhaps people view the page just to see if there are any updates that would interest them. For example in July. That was when the graphics update happened. Tons of players were looking forward to that, and many probably logged on to check it out. Runescape isn't holding the players in with its updates anymore.

Before the December 10th updates, I would always see 175,000+ people on at this time. Now I'm lucky to see 130,000. Jagex was doing something right back then, which isn't happening now.

Statistics speak otherwise. Remember this is compared to other page views, which is constantly rising.

Page views do not equal players. Some people would now go to the site to view that G.E. database, or the Knowledge Base. Perhaps people view the page just to see if there are any updates that would interest them. For example in July. That was when the graphics update happened. Tons of players were looking forward to that, and many probably logged on to check it out. Runescape isn't holding the players in with its updates anymore.

Which is why so many people cared to keep checking all those pages, and why they all payed close attention to the updates until then.

Which is why so many people cared to keep checking all those pages, and why they all payed close attention to the updates until then.

They didn't necessarily pay attention to the updates because they cared about the game, but because they hoped it would go back to the norm. None of the updates now are holding most people's attention for more than the week they are released. They're all attempts to fill the void of the one thing that made Runescape great and unique. And only the people that are playing currently would bother checking the G.E. database or the Knowledge Base.

I see where ur going with this. Jagex did wat they did because of the community. I didnt whine. sure i got pissed at myself for a bit but i didnt whine about it. things happen and its just a game. I remember getting lured into wildy countless times. I just loved that excitement.

Then the cheaters and those RWT cheaters just ruined it for everyone. i mean jagex had to limit our freedoms after that.

They didn't necessarily pay attention to the updates because they cared about the game, but because they hoped it would go back to the norm. None of the updates now are holding most people's attention for more than the week they are released. They're all attempts to fill the void of the one thing that made Runescape great and unique. And only the people that are playing currently would bother checking the G.E. database or the Knowledge Base.

are you kidding me? the updates in this last year have been far more meaningful and impact the game much more than updates before.

Summoning, WGS, Smoking Kills, Minigames out the wazoo for this year.... Not to mention the dozen or so fixes they do every 2 weeks. Small, but they changed alot imo.

Honestly I can't even think of a pre-dec. 10th update that affected me.

*Points out that at one time I saw a mod ban over 100 bots at the willows at Draynor on one world, and he said that the world wasn't that bad* About 120 worlds at the time i believe, 140k players on. 100*120= 12,000 =D> That's less than 130,000 people. Yeah, your point = dead.

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

Yea bro i love getting scammed too. I handed out all my gps to lurers but then the trade update ruined my fun >:-( Now i've got 20m burning a hole in my pocket DAMN YOU JAGEX

You dont even get it. That was part of the game. There was RISK involved. You HAD to go to the wildy. Now, it is effortless to make millions of dollars with maybe a week of RC. The Revs are just not the same.

There IS Risk in the Game Still: KBD, KQ, CE, Corp' Beast, Tormented Demons, God Wars, NEW PLAYER KILLING SERVERS. you cant honestly say theres no Risk when there is a risk in multiple places. Jagex are STILL humans, they CANNOT forfill all of our wishes but they are trying to improve the game as best as possible. if your unhappy, Quit and watch the game develop and join back when YOU personally enjoy it again.

Popoto.~<3

Im glad to see that some people have some interest in risk around here, some pvp. If you play runescape because you think its a real good time to click a mouse on the same spot again and again for 15 hours at a time, then good for you.

Response to Deviled Egg's Alexa Graph:

Very clever how you cut the pre update graph off at the peak time of the year, the summer. If you compare them as far as year-to year growth is concerned(that allows for the natural fluxuations at different times of the year) there is little to compare. In november 07 it looks like it was slightly higher. Also, do you really think that one day in early July, all of the sudden the number of players doubled in one day? There is some credit that needs to be given to the points brought up by Dream Reaper. In december 07' was definately higher, but that can be attributed to high school christmas breaks, and we are only 12 days into this december. And maybe because of the outrage over the ruining of this game.

I remember those riots. I thought that it was hopeless, and they were randomly banning people who dared disagree with Mod Paul The Great, so I didn't join in.

And Dream Reaper that is a great sig! Do you know where I can get it?

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Im glad to see that some people have some interest in risk around here, some pvp. If you play runescape because you think its a real good time to click a mouse on the same spot again and again for 15 hours at a time, then good for you.

Very clever how you cut the pre update graph off at the peak time of the year, the summer. If you compare them as far as year-to year growth is concerned(that allows for the natural fluxuations at different times of the year) there is little to compare. In november 07 it looks like it was slightly higher. Also, do you really think that one day in early July, all of the sudden the number of players doubled in one day? There is some credit that needs to be given to the points brought up by Dream Reaper. In december 07' was definately higher, but that can be attributed to high school christmas breaks, and we are only 12 days into this december. And maybe because of the outrage over the ruining of this game.

I remember those riots. I thought that it was hopeless, and they were randomly banning people who dared disagree with Mod Paul The Great, so I didn't join in.

It has less to do with the cleverness and more to do with that being where the limit is for the free version. It's also interesting that 'runescape' was the 5th most popular search term on Yahoo.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Considering that ANYTHING in rs is clicking for "10 hours a day", you really have no comparison.

[hide="Read if you say]I assume that you will say: Pking is better than skilling because it also requires skill.

Let's look at that statement and its relevant terms:

Pking uses much energy over long periods of time. This is due to an adrenaline rush caused by the risk aspect (forming the fight or flight response). Essentially, you are participating in high stress activity by player killing.

Skilling does not use much adrenaline because you are not risking anything by stringing bows. Stringing bows or whatever skill the player is training is usually very monotonous and the occasional random event (~once per three hours) to divert his attention is actually looked forward to.

Better: yes, we must define this term for clarification. Better means "superior". What are your criteria for being "better"? Well, you seemed to have answered that: "more skill".

Skill: What is your criteria of skill? Is it a person who clicks less is the better/more skilled player? If that is the case, then the person who doesn't play Runescape at all is the better player. Then, maybe it is the one who gains the most with the fewest amount of clicks? Well, then we must assess "most".

Most: I assume that the "most value" is the "best payoff". Well, if that is the case, then I dare say that skillers make more money than pkers. Note: "skillers" includes those who normal/slayer monster hunt as well as preform non-combat skills because they both give little if no adrenaline rush like pking. Why do you think that most bots and rwt were skillers? Monster hunting would be under the radar more and thus less "restarts".

If you say that "most value" is the "most fun", then that is purely opinionated and changes with every person. Opinions cannot be disproved and therefore cannot be used in a logical argument.

Therefore, the theoretical response "Pking is better than skilling because it requires more skill" is either false or unable to be argued[/hide]

And really, what are you trying to say? Jagex is trying to take out risk? Jagex is trying to run itself into the ground?

Considering that pvp worlds are MORE dangerous than the wild (since it includes wild levels AND normal 5 + 10% of level), Jagex must be trying to increase risk, or do you say that the pvp worlds were unintentional?

If Jagex were trying to run itself into the ground, then they would have done so already by firing all of its employees, or do you think that Jagex is too stupid to realize this?

Are you trying to say that Jagex is making the game worse? Then why not let the bots run rampant? They ruin the enjoyment of legitimate players and therefore make the game worse, or do you believe that causing malice upon new players is actually beneficial to the game as a whole?

There are many flaws in your arguments.

If you are trying to say that runescape is dead, what do you mean by that? The game community is dead? You can look at activity charts to see that that statement is not true. That the previous community is dead? That is actually true. Of course, then that also means that the community ten months, six months, one month, two weeks, and yesterday are also dead.

If I have addressed none of your arguments and points, then please clarify.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

are you kidding me? the updates in this last year have been far more meaningful and impact the game much more than updates before.

Summoning, WGS, Smoking Kills, Minigames out the wazoo for this year.... Not to mention the dozen or so fixes they do every 2 weeks. Small, but they changed alot imo.

Honestly I can't even think of a pre-dec. 10th update that affected me.

That's your opinion.

*Points out that at one time I saw a mod ban over 100 bots at the willows at Draynor on one world, and he said that the world wasn't that bad* About 120 worlds at the time i believe, 140k players on. 100*120= 12,000 =D> That's less than 130,000 people. Yeah, your point = dead.

120 worlds. 100 bots per worlds. 12,000 bots. 175,000-12,000=163,000. And don't forget that there are still bots/goldfarmers now. They might not be as apparent as the willow cutting bots, but there are still quite a few. Many people will use auto-alchers and the like, and you'll never notice it because you don't see them.

Yea bro i love getting scammed too. I handed out all my gps to lurers but then the trade update ruined my fun >:-( Now i've got 20m burning a hole in my pocket DAMN YOU JAGEX

You dont even get it. That was part of the game. There was RISK involved. You HAD to go to the wildy. Now, it is effortless to make millions of dollars with maybe a week of RC. The Revs are just not the same.

There IS Risk in the Game Still: KBD, KQ, CE, Corp' Beast, Tormented Demons, God Wars, NEW PLAYER KILLING SERVERS. you cant honestly say theres no Risk when there is a risk in multiple places. Jagex are STILL humans, they CANNOT forfill all of our wishes but they are trying to improve the game as best as possible. if your unhappy, Quit and watch the game develop and join back when YOU personally enjoy it again.

The fact is, there are no intelligent, persistent players to lure you and to pk you in any world where you step foot in the wilderness. Player-killing has been shoved aside to specific worlds and places, therefore making it hardly dangerous.

[img=http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/1470/thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png]

Considering that ANYTHING in rs is clicking for "10 hours a day", you really have no comparison.

[hide="Read if you say]I assume that you will say: Pking is better than skilling because it also requires skill.

Let's look at that statement and its relevant terms:

Pking uses much energy over long periods of time. This is due to an adrenaline rush caused by the risk aspect (forming the fight or flight response). Essentially, you are participating in high stress activity by player killing.

Skilling does not use much adrenaline because you are not risking anything by stringing bows. Stringing bows or whatever skill the player is training is usually very monotonous and the occasional random event (~once per three hours) to divert his attention is actually looked forward to.

Better: yes, we must define this term for clarification. Better means "superior". What are your criteria for being "better"? Well, you seemed to have answered that: "more skill".

Skill: What is your criteria of skill? Is it a person who clicks less is the better/more skilled player? If that is the case, then the person who doesn't play Runescape at all is the better player. Then, maybe it is the one who gains the most with the fewest amount of clicks? Well, then we must assess "most".

Most: I assume that the "most value" is the "best payoff". Well, if that is the case, then I dare say that skillers make more money than pkers. Note: "skillers" includes those who normal/slayer monster hunt as well as preform non-combat skills because they both give little if no adrenaline rush like pking. Why do you think that most bots and rwt were skillers? Monster hunting would be under the radar more and thus less "restarts".

If you say that "most value" is the "most fun", then that is purely opinionated and changes with every person. Opinions cannot be disproved and therefore cannot be used in a logical argument.

Therefore, the theoretical response "Pking is better than skilling because it requires more skill" is either false or unable to be argued[/hide]

Skilling only requires to to click something once every 20 seconds or so. That does not take much effort or skill. Monster hunting is stupidly easy. Put on prayer and you're untouchable. Please, go Pk yourself. Then tell me it doesn't take skill. I'm sure that any old player can pull of perfect attack style switches and stop their opponent from reaching the safe zone. You're right. It takes no skill at all :roll: .

And really, what are you trying to say? Jagex is trying to take out risk? Jagex is trying to run itself into the ground?

Considering that pvp worlds are MORE dangerous than the wild You must fully realize the dangers before you even set foot in a PvP world. There is no danger there. You're absolutely prepared. I don't believe that anyone is stupid enough to get lured into a PvP world and killed when they weren't there for pking. (since it includes wild levels AND normal 5 + 10% of level), Jagex must be trying to increase risk, or do you say that the pvp worlds were unintentional?

If Jagex were trying to run itself into the ground, then they would have done so already by firing all of its employees, or do you think that Jagex is too stupid to realize this?

Are you trying to say that Jagex is making the game worse? Then why not let the bots run rampant? They ruin the enjoyment of legitimate players and therefore make the game worse, or do you believe that causing malice upon new players is actually beneficial to the game as a whole? He's not saying that Runescape literally died. He's saying the enjoyment he got out of it died.

There are many flaws in your arguments.

If you are trying to say that runescape is dead, what do you mean by that? The game community is dead? You can look at activity charts to see that that statement is not true. That the previous community is dead? That is actually true. Of course, then that also means that the community ten months, six months, one month, two weeks, and yesterday are also dead. The community if full of pretentious bigots. I'd consider that to be worse than dead.

If I have addressed none of your arguments and points, then please clarify.

Skilling only requires to to click something once every 20 seconds or so. That does not take much effort or skill. Monster hunting is stupidly easy. Put on prayer and you're untouchable. Please, go Pk yourself. Then tell me it doesn't take skill. I'm sure that any old player can pull of perfect attack style switches and stop their opponent from reaching the safe zone. You're right. It takes no skill at all :roll: .

There needs to be a certain criteria for "skill" for the argument to get anywhere.

Since you response didn't make sense with the criteria I suggested, my assumption of that criteria must be wrong.

Alright, then what is skill? You haven't given a definition, only an example: clicking X amount of times in a set of places to cause your opponent to die.

Alright, I think I can work out a good criteria form that statement.

~Skill is being more powerful than your opponent~, well I can measure power by saying I am more powerful than you because I have 99 attack you have 50 (examples). That doesn't make sense, therefore my criteria must be wrong or 99 ISN'T more powerful than 50 attack.

Here is my next suggestion:

~Skill is the ability to outwit your opponent and or defeat them~

If I manage to kill my opponent, even if it was partly due to luck, that means that luck is also a skill. If I am losing and manage to escape, then am I more skilled than my opponent? I believe so. The most skilled player killers can be found on the hiscores of bh and FoG, the latter heavily based on strategy.

The criteria checks out so far.

Monster hunting requires little skill, only knowledge of the monsters' attacks and weaknesses. Skilling requires no skill because it has no opponent. (I could argue that "goals" are opponents, but then we'd be getting nowhere).

Ok, so using the criteria: "Skill is the ability to outwit your opponent and or defeat them", means that the statement "Pking is better than skilling because it requires skill" is now true.

But now the statements "People revere those with skill" and "People revere those with high levels" come into play. "All A is B; All A is C; therefore All B is C" That syllogism is correct, yet it isn't correct in the real world. Why? Therefore, my criteria must be wrong if it doesn't make sense.

I'm stumped. Care to offer a suggestion to what skill is or is it too ambiguous or broad?

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

*checks RS main page* "There are currently 126646 people playing!"

Nope from what I see, RS is alive and well. As for those people saying "Oh! but hey! it used to say 200,000 people are playing a year ago!" I'd like to point out 100,000 of them are bald, level 3s, wearing their khaki shirts and green pants, slaving over yew logs or flax fields making my goal of 99 woodcutting a pain in the (bleep). From what I see, besides a few items in the GE (3a items, phats, D claws) are off in prices, RS has become so much better.

120dgl.jpg

*checks RS main page* "There are currently 126646 people playing!"

Nope from what I see, RS is alive and well. As for those people saying "Oh! but hey! it used to say 200,000 people are playing a year ago!" I'd like to point out 100,000 of them are bald, level 3s, wearing their khaki shirts and green pants, slaving over yew logs or flax fields making my goal of 99 woodcutting a pain in the (bleep). From what I see, besides a few items in the GE (3a items, phats, D claws) are off in prices, RS has become so much better.

Yup, because there were 100,000 autoers/goldfarms then, and none now. Player to player interaction is much more important than any prices. The G.E. should be used to trade small, otherwise hard to get materials, not anything and everything.

I'm stumped. Care to offer a suggestion to what skill is or is it too ambiguous or broad?

I would define skill as doing something that takes a great deal of effort, repeatability, and complexity. Tying your shoe for example, is repeatable, and might seem complex when you don't understand how to do it. When you learn something relatively difficult, those you associate with might find that it takes skill to do. However, when you move up in life, those arduous tasks turn into routine behavior. It's all relative, I guess. If you can do something someone else can only dream of doing, you are skilled in their eyes. But you think that it is a pretty easy task, you don't see it as skill, but rather as routine. Meh, I'm confused too #-o .

Yup, because there were 100,000 autoers/goldfarms then, and none now. Player to player interaction is much more important than any prices. The G.E. should be used to trade small, otherwise hard to get materials, not anything and everything.

Closer to 30,000 then, 2,000 now. Obviously made up numbers, like everything else on here, but probably pretty close. Player to player interaction isn't more important then prices. Why should the GE only be used for small items? Let me put it like this: I'm in varrock bank, wanting to buy an ahrim's robetop for PKing. I can:

#1, walk up to the GE and buy it for a little under market price in a few seconds

#2, hop to world 2, wander around trying to find someone to sell, finally find someone, haggle about a price for a while, and finally get it in 10 minutes or so

It's exactly the same for the seller. The GE is the best update since RS2, even better then the graphics update (which ranks as #2. Anyone who's ever had a 1920X1200 17" laptop screen and tried to play 640-480 low detail knows the pain of squinting at the screen to read the words "armadyl godsword".)

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

It had to be done, and there's no going back.

Shut up already, I'm going to sleep...

Just so tired and sick of this crap...

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Closer to 30,000 then, 2,000 now. Obviously made up numbers, like everything else on here, but probably pretty close. Player to player interaction isn't more important then prices. Why should the GE only be used for small items? Let me put it like this: I'm in varrock bank, wanting to buy an ahrim's robetop for PKing. I can:

#1, walk up to the GE and buy it for a little under market price in a few seconds

#2, hop to world 2, wander around trying to find someone to sell, finally find someone, haggle about a price for a while, and finally get it in 10 minutes or so

It's exactly the same for the seller. The GE is the best update since RS2, even better then the graphics update (which ranks as #2. Anyone who's ever had a 1920X1200 17" laptop screen and tried to play 640-480 low detail knows the pain of squinting at the screen to read the words "armadyl godsword".)

I would personally rather spend the 10 minutes to buy it from player than use the G.E., but since everyone uses the G.E. for dumping every item they get; I'm pretty much forced to waste an hour of my time, or just buy it off the G.E. Bleh, opinions...

I would personally rather spend the 10 minutes to buy it from player than use the G.E., but since everyone uses the G.E. for dumping every item they get; I'm pretty much forced to waste an hour of my time, or just buy it off the G.E. Bleh, opinions...

That's not opinions. It boils down to this:

Spend 5 seconds and hit 'buy' on the GE

Spend 10 minutes world hopping, dealing with lag and annoying people who trade without offering what you want, trying to find the price you want (if you can even find a seller), and keeping from being scammed (pre-GE).

It's the exact same thing for the seller. There isn't a single advantage to player-to-player trading.

DeviledEgg24.png

Spend 10 minutes world hopping, dealing with lag and annoying people who trade without offering what you want, trying to find the price you want (if you can even find a seller), and keeping from being scammed (pre-GE).

I enjoyed this. Especially when I could set my own price.

I'm afraid you were in the minority. I never enjoyed trying to sell a few hundred nats when I was 80k away from that DFS; I could spend a half hour, and sell for a much lower then normal price, just to find someone who sold them. And you couldn't set your own price; GE didn't cause the price limits, RWT did. There would be exactly the same limits.

DeviledEgg24.png

You choose.

Playing the game and fighting in bounty hunter etc with easily made money at uncrowded spots

Or having korean goldfarmers killing dragons on every world, cutting yews.

How about being piled in the middle of the wild, but this time wearing really expensive stuff?

And you said yourself you got over it when you lost 60k.

Yeah.

Then you said people ruined this game.

1. Dont say "its only a game" then complain and say "you killed runescape!"

2. You got scammed.

I'm kinda sure you would've still rathered 60k

Plus, now jagex has got ridden of bots and all, and prices are what they should be.

I dont need a siggy no moar.