RS Died one year ago today

TheDayRsDied

Before the December 10th updates, I would always see 175,000+ people on at this time. Now I'm lucky to see 130,000. Jagex was doing something right back then, which isn't happening now.

before a large part of the players consisted of:

amateur bots

sweatshop bots

10account-in-a-row-if-sth-goes-wrong bots

gold miners who were not playing, rather working (humans)

Well, yes, there were pkers. But they are replaced by the new community.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*checks RS main page* "There are currently 126646 people playing!"

Nope from what I see, RS is alive and well. As for those people saying "Oh! but hey! it used to say 200,000 people are playing a year ago!" I'd like to point out 100,000 of them are bald, level 3s, wearing their khaki shirts and green pants, slaving over yew logs or flax fields making my goal of 99 woodcutting a pain in the (bleep). From what I see, besides a few items in the GE (3a items, phats, D claws) are off in prices, RS has become so much better.

Yup, because there were 100,000 autoers/goldfarms then, and none now. Player to player interaction is much more important than any prices. The G.E. should be used to trade small, otherwise hard to get materials, not anything and everything.

I'm stumped. Care to offer a suggestion to what skill is or is it too ambiguous or broad?

I would define skill as doing something that takes a great deal of effort, repeatability, and complexity. Tying your shoe for example, is repeatable, and might seem complex when you don't understand how to do it. When you learn something relatively difficult, those you associate with might find that it takes skill to do. However, when you move up in life, those arduous tasks turn into routine behavior. It's all relative, I guess. If you can do something someone else can only dream of doing, you are skilled in their eyes. But you think that it is a pretty easy task, you don't see it as skill, but rather as routine. Meh, I'm confused too #-o .

I do admit that the G.E. has lowered some prices because it makes it so much more easy to trade. I'm sure that before the interstate was built, prices were very non-uniform because some places would have a high concentration of X product, but others have not so high concentration of X product. You can't really say that the G.E. is "good" or "bad" since it is merely a tool. It is what people do with the G.E. that can be labeled as such (but getting into that would be getting off topic ;) )

Alright, so skill is basically a growing standard; it is basically experience. Now, that can both mean physical, measurable experience like rs skills, and it can mean immeasurable experience like how long the player has been exposed to the game or to certain aspects of the game.

A has more experience in a than B has in a.

B has more experience in b than A has in b.

Both are true statements.

Since A can apply to pking and B to skilling, essentially we have determined that pking takes a different kind of skill than skilling, but both do require skill. Because the two kinds of skill are just that, two kinds, it is impossible to compare them because "more", "better", and the like are adejctives of degree.

Now that we have found that pking and skilling are equal in terms of skill, back OT

The official number of quit accounts really is 60,000 within January and then after would be minute or the "normal" rate of quitting. I'm going to say that the average player owns ~4.8 (slightly random decimal ftw) accounts. Since there have been 13 million accounts created, that means there have been ~2,700,000 players since 2001. Let's assume that there are 288,000 gold farming accounts (4.8 * 60,000). And because the quitting farmers were only half (those who had just started and that there were actual twice as many because half of them were downsized or replaced by another half), there were 576,000 accounts committed to gold farming.

Now, let's assume that 1/3 of the total population of the community has quit.

Through the following calculations, there are 1,725,000 players

13,000,000 - 576,000 = 12,424,000 -> A

A / 3 = 4,141.333 -> B

B * 2 = 8,282,666.666 -> C

C / 4.8 = 1,725,555.555

Even if there is only ~1/15 of those players on at any given time, 1.725 million players is far from dead.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

The average number of accounts owned by a single player isn't 5, it's far less then that. I've made a grand total of 3 accounts, one of which I haven't been on in over 3 years, and the other I haven't been on in almost 2. Most of my friends (~400 of them) own 1 account; a few of them own 2. The average is more like 1.5.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Oh for God's sake, RS is one of the most alive MMOs out there.

Before, the structure of the game was destroying itself, as RWTing and bots spread like cancer. Now, the structure is stable, albeit with a few easily solvable problems, like GE price inaccuracies.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The average number of accounts owned by a single player isn't 5, it's far less then that. I've made a grand total of 3 accounts, one of which I haven't been on in over 3 years, and the other I haven't been on in almost 2. Most of my friends (~400 of them) own 1 account; a few of them own 2. The average is more like 1.5.

considering that Jagex has said that there are 2 million players, 4.8 sounds good to me. Remember that it's not just ACTIVE accounts; the 13 mill would obviously include all lvl 3 accounts made out of boredom, locked, and banned accounts.

considering that Jagex has said that there are 2 million players, 4.8 sounds good to me. Remember that it's not just ACTIVE accounts; the 13 mill would obviously include all lvl 3 accounts made out of boredom, locked, and banned accounts.

Where did jagex say 2 million players? There are 130 million accounts, as of a couple of months ago when RSHD came out (one of the RS website adverts), so that's 65 accounts per player. Something's wrong here.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Where did jagex say 2 million players? There are 130 million accounts, as of a couple of months ago when RSHD came out (one of the RS website adverts), so that's 65 accounts per player. Something's wrong here.

My bad, you're right. I thought it said 13 million, not 130 million. But even if you said that it's 1.5, I would be skepticle since that means over 40 million players ever. It's probably somewhere between 2.4-3.2 accounts per player, but now we're getting off-topic aren't we? :oops:

My bad, you're right. I thought it said 13 million, not 130 million. But even if you said that it's 1.5, I would be skepticlehttp://forum.tip.it/posting.ph ... p=6288467# since that means over 40 million players ever. It's probably somewhere between 2.4-3.2 accounts per player, but now we're getting off-topic aren't we? :oops:

What's wrong with 40 million players? It was 5th highest rank in Yahoo searches for this year. That's huge.

Bottom line: It doesn't appear to be dying.

DeviledEgg24.png

from my point of view, RS would have died if jagex imposed those trade restrictions, took away dueling and wildy if not for the fact that they replaced them with other fantastic stuff such as PvP worlds, stealing creation, bh, cw etc.

there are certainly some draw backs from the trade restrictions such as people including myself having to spend hours collecting junk in order to sell d claws without getting ourselves ripped off by the ge. also it is incredibly weird to have the game value an item such as blue partyhat at 300+ million and 10 gp at the same time...so i do agree that some aspects of this game can do with improvements. however overall jagex has been doing a relatively good job to update the game as frequently as possible and it is the novelty which keeps people interested and attracts new people into the game so no, this game is not going to die anytime soon in the near future.

that said the number of people playing has indeed seem to drop....i remember that it was quite common to see 200+k people playing during the peak hours but i have yet to see that figure for quite a while now...

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

My bad, you're right. I thought it said 13 million, not 130 million. But even if you said that it's 1.5, I would be skepticlehttp://forum.tip.it/posting.ph ... p=6288467# since that means over 40 million players ever. It's probably somewhere between 2.4-3.2 accounts per player, but now we're getting off-topic aren't we? :oops:

What's wrong with 40 million players? It was 5th highest rank in Yahoo searches for this year. That's huge.

Bottom line: It doesn't appear to be dying.

This entire debate is just guessed numbers anyway.

"this d000d said to me that back then RS had 5 players, and now it haz 40 billion."

blah blah blah. I have no intentin of buying Alexa jusat to prove a point.

Here is how I guess it happened:

I have been looking on the RSC boards, and there could have been Autoing programs as early as March 2001(RS came out in January 2001), according to the Old-timers.

Over the years, more and more customers complained to Jagex about the Auto situation. Jagex responded with its typical stonewalling. They plugged their ears, closed their eyes, and pretended that nothing was happening. During this time, autoing became bigger every day.

Eventually, something bad happened to someone. Jagex made the wrong person mad. And they were given an ultimatum. This probably happened in the spring of 2007, becasue that is the first time they ever started to do anything about out the situation(other than give stern warnings on the talk page).

They had years and years to take the necessary steps to stop autoing. They could have done randoms earlier, they could have introduced more p mods, they could have done all kinds of things. Instead they waited around untill the situation was completely out of control, and the only practical option was to eliminate trading and PKing. This was not a "Noble decision".

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

You are basically saying that a business of only two years of age should have known that autoing would evolve into a big problem.

Obviously autoing is something to be stopped NOW

How the heck was Jagex supposed to know that autoing would spell the end of runescape? I'd like to see anyone encounter a problem that few had encountered and make the best decision on the FIRST TIME.

They could have this, that, whatever...

Yes Jagex made some bad or not-so-good decisions because of naivete and ignorance, but that doesn't mean that they didn't try their hardest on what they DID know. From the average player's perspective, autoing was annoying bot hogging your space. What Jagex told us is that Rwt is coupled with credit fraud and costs Jagex millions of dollars.

Here's an analogy:

I want you to bake a cake without an instruction book. Let's say you try your best but fail. I insult you for it and say you are the worst cake baker because you couldn't bake a cake.

WELL DUH YOU COULDN'T. There was no instruction manual for you to follow, no helpful advice, I didn't even tell you what ingredients to use. I actually like the wildnerness updates; I can go into the wild without getting pjed or koed by thirty barragers. But for the other people, would you rather have no runescape from Jagex going bankrupt? Or play runescape with some pvp? Again, they didn't make the best decisions all along, but we're all human. They basically dodged a mating net set by Rwt. Should we berate them for letting themselves almost get into the net (note: almost) or should we praise them for dodging the bullet?

Yeah RS is truly dead, I can't log in...

please help me!

It's all a matter of opinion, I like this game better now that there's less bots, no more RC pkers and no one getting supremely rich in matter of seconds 4 specing in the duel arena.

That's my opinion and no one's gonna make me change it.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Yeah RS is truly dead, I can't log in...

please help me!

It's all a matter of opinion, I like this game better now that there's less bots, no more RC pkers and no one getting supremely rich in matter of seconds 4 specing in the duel arena.

That's my opinion and no one's gonna make me change it.

That's only half right. If "dead" means "I don't find fun in runescape anymore", that's opinionated. But if it means "runescape is not popular" (which is what OP is saying) then that is able to be proven.

This entire debate is just guessed numbers anyway.

"this d000d said to me that back then RS had 5 players, and now it haz 40 billion."

blah blah blah. I have no intentin of buying Alexa jusat to prove a point.

Oh puh-lease

Here's our arguments:

You: I remember 2 years ago RS had more people playing on average!

Me: Alexa traffic rank has been climbing...

I don't think that it's 'guessed numbers', except for YOUR argument. No need to buy Alexa to prove it, they conveniently offer a website with which you can view data.

DeviledEgg24.png

the thread title alone just attracted all my rage towards it.

shut up. runescape is very much alive. i prefer "runescape" to "autoscape"

you have to understand that jagex had two choices.

1.take away unbalanced tradeand PvP and add new updates to replace them.

2.give everyone 4 months of rs and shut the whole thing down.

which would you rather have.

actually, it dosn't matter anyways, as Jagex is a BUSINESS that was formed to earn MONEY.

2Xeo5.png

12/11/07- THE DAY RS DIED. AND I WILL NEVER GET OVER IT.

OHNOES RS DIED. D:

I wonder what you'll be like when something slightly more depressing happens to you eg your first girlfriend dumps you.

Get over Runescape being changed, and/or play another game. D:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

So, Jagex changed certain aspects of Runescape, you didn't like it... and now suddenly RS has died.

Fail.

At least it's better than ranting about being banned for breaking a rule.

I would also like to retract my ranking as Jagex Loving Fanboy Fascist Communist Ignorant Grammar Nazi Jagex-[wagon]-kissing Skillerwho clearly just got owned by a Pure and therefore hate pvp. I was brushing my teeth this morning, and the tooth-brush-scum fell onto my computer keyboard, and downloaded an autoer. I got banned, needless to say. JAGEX WHAT THE HELL? HAVE YOU NO SYMPATHY YOU NAZI LOSER JERK FACE POOPOO HEADS?!?!?!?!

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I lol'd.

Let me introduce all those who think RS has died to a brilliant game.Its called IRL.I play on the Singaporean server,but meh.Its great,the only things that suck are the crappy spawn time,and the long tutorial.Its hard to level up too,I hear few people cross level 90.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]