RS Died one year ago today

TheDayRsDied

bored of rs? read.

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/view.ws?guid=diary06

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1006

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1007

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1102

:evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!:

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers." Come on Kid! are you framiliar with the term, "gold farmer?"

You need to take a 3rd grade reading comprehension lesson. This is not a joke. This is not a sarcastic line. This is a serious recommendation. You really need to.

I am going to explain this to you as throughly as I possiably can.

"Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers."

THIS MEANS THAT PKERS DO NOT INHERENTLY RWT. IT MEANS THAT MACROERS USED THE PKING SYSTEM AS ONE OF MANY WAYS TO TRANSFER GOLD TO THEIR CHEATERS. IT, HOWEVER,WAS NOT NECESSARY BECAUSE YOU COULD TRADE ANYWHERE, AT ANY TIME, ALL OF THE GOLD THE CHEATERS WANTED FOR ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING. IT MEANS THAT YOU SHOULD DESIGN THE GAME TO MAKE IT DIFFICULT FOR MACROERS TO DO BUSINESS, AND NOT STOP PKERS AND CALL THEM "UNETHICAL" BECAUSE THEY USED THE FEATURES OF THE GAME TO HAVE FUN.

I am not some kind of baby sitter and I have nothing more to say in this thread. Some good arguments were made here but most of this thread was filled with nothing but pathetic trolling, or arguments made so badly that they could have been confused with it.

I am not a third grade reading teacher, and I am not going to explain statements anymore to idiots like this. Done here.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

"Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers." Come on Kid! are you framiliar with the term, "gold farmer?"

You need to take a 3rd grade reading comprehension lesson. This is not a joke. This is not a sarcastic line. This is a serious recommendation. You really need to.

THIS MEANS THAT PKERS DO NOT INHERENTLY RWT. IT MEANS THAT MACROERS USED THE PKING SYSTEM AS ONE OF MANY WAYS TO TRANSFER GOLD TO THEIR CHEATERS. IT, HOWEVER,WAS NOT NECESSARY BECAUSE YOU COULD TRADE ANYWHERE, AT ANY TIME, ALL OF THE GOLD THE CHEATERS WANTED FOR ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING. IT MEANS THAT YOU SHOULD DESIGN THE GAME TO MAKE IT DIFFICULT FOR MACROERS TO DO BUSINESS, AND NOT STOP PKERS AND CALL THEM "UNETHICAL" BECAUSE THEY USED THE FEATURES OF THE GAME TO HAVE FUN.

I am not some kind of baby sitter and I have nothing more to say in this thread. Some good arguments were made here but most of this thread was filled with nothing but pathetic trolling, or arguments made so badly that they could have been confused with it.

I am not a third grade reading teacher, and I am not going to explain statements anymore to idiots like this. Done here.

Problems: A: learn how to use the quote button?

B: No comment on every other point?

you still sound pretty dumb to me Kid.

EDIT:

Simple anti-macroing software could have handled this issue.

GOLD FARMERS know how to abuse the old pk system too genius. Saying the above only contradicts your most recent post. Learn to read. Learn to write. Learn to have a life. :thumbdown:

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

"Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers." Come on Kid! are you framiliar with the term, "gold farmer?" You need to take a 3rd grade reading comprehension lesson.

I laughed :-w

There is no doubt that there were sweatshops that DIDN'T macro for gold; that being said, I would assume the vast majority did - it's just simpler and faster then having an actual person play. However, eliminating macros would not have solved the RWT problem - the sweat shops would have simply moved on to people. Not that there is any anti-macro system that I'm aware of that isn't overly-invasive.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I remember when first played runescape. I remeber how it used to be.It was just before the Slayer Skill came out. I became a member shortly after that, because I had finished Dragon Slayer and there was no direction to what I was doing anymore. I started getting assignments that required Mage Melee Defense, so I wanted to get Dragon hide. I pushed my range up to 40 in a few hours. Without doing any research, I decided to go kill a few Green Dragons and get the hide to ake the D Hide armor myself, get the crafting exp.

I knew I would have to go to the wilderness. Some guy in the Edgeville bank said he would protect me if I paid him 30k up front and 30k upon getting to the dragons. I wanted the crafting exp, and the pride in making the armor without buying it, so I agreed.

He took my money and led me into the wildy. After a while we ran into a clan. He pm'ed me telling me to run. I Ran, but two dots on my indicator were running toward me. I ran back the other way, back to the guy who I paid, but he didnt help. I tried to punch his buddies and he laughed because he had told me to put all my weapons and armour away back at the bank for "Security- u dont want to die and lose the value". I was surronded and I was killed a few seconds later. They laughed and said "Stupid nub" and "good fight, u tried".

And I laughed too. I didn't cry. I didn't complain about their "Igonrance". I didn't go onto the RS forums and complain. I didn't do any of these things, because unlike many of these whiny brats, I understand that this is just a game. I screwed up and got killed. It was kinda letdown, but it was exciting and fun. And I later fooled a few nub myself. With a clan. Shoot me. Sue me. Say im Ignorant. Say I never learned my "lessons". How about trying to grow up a little too.

You whiners ruined this game. Now everything is "fair". No risks. No faillure. No fun. This game is a breeze now, and the same idiots who complain about It being that way, like Queltar, are the ones who backed all these stupid changes.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO RISK ANYTHING, THEN DONT PLAY THE GAME TO BEGIN WITH. DON'T SCREW IT UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

12/11/07- THE DAY RS WAS REBORN. AND I WILL NEVER FORGET IT..

I fixed the bolded text

Mystik01.gif

Seeing as this thread is still running, I will offer this piece of advice to you RSdiedoneyearago, give up. No one heres gonna agree. If you still fight about it after over a year, you need to get a life...

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

bored of rs? read.

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/view.ws?guid=diary06

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1006

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1007

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1102

:evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!:

TY for links.

Jagex really defines "a load of BS" with this.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I do agree with you, but to be fair, I haven't tried RS since the update. I haven't been a member in about 15 months now and once I logged on TIF on the day "RS died" I felt no urge to play again.

I had four things I really enjoyed in RS.

1) Monster hunting with groups- (I guess it's been fixed, but my old favorites(DK and KQ) have been overtaken by the GWD I was too lazy to learn.

2) RC pk'ing- Call me a noob, jerk, whatever, but I wanted to add the risk to RC'ing and get some free glories. Out of the game now.

3) Edge pk'ing- Just straight up 1v1 rune battles. Pretty much taken out, the new system seems like crap

4) Rc'ing nats- The profit seems to be cut in half and the abyss seems boring without seercul'ing pk'ers.

I haven't given RS a chance because I fear I might get addicted like I was two years ago. But from a veteran's perspective, RS seems to have lost it's fun.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

I'm kinda laughing about your suggestion of macro detection software. It's not as easy as that.

Make a detection sytem, they will make one that dodges it.

Make a better one, they'll make something better.

This went on since the beginning, and Jagex had finally had enough.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

"Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers." Come on Kid! are you framiliar with the term, "gold farmer?" You need to take a 3rd grade reading comprehension lesson.

There is no doubt that there were sweatshops that DIDN'T macro for gold; that being said, I would assume the vast majority did - it's just simpler and faster then having an actual person play. However, eliminating macros would not have solved the RWT problem - the sweat shops would have simply moved on to people. Not that there is any anti-macro system that I'm aware of that isn't overly-invasive.

Gold farmers and macros are two different things. The macro is the program like the autoclicker, and the goldfarmer is the guy who sits in front of the computer doing work that is too complicated for the macro. To contradict you both, neither gold farmers nor macros nor PKers were the underlying problem - it was the large RWT companies.

The_Maddest.png

Gold farmers and macros are two different things. The macro is the program like the autoclicker, and the goldfarmer is the guy who sits in front of the computer doing work that is too complicated for the macro. To contradict you both, neither gold farmers nor macros nor PKers were the underlying problem - it was the large RWT companies.

"Large RWT trade companies"? You mean those sweatshops full of goldfarmers?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Ok here's my view on this:

Jagex HAD to get rid of Macroing. If they didn't, there might not be any RuneScape to speak of AT ALL today. First let's establish that as technology and macros improved, they would eat away more and more at the game. Here's something to think about: what if there was a pking macro? One that was programmed to eat, initiate combos, and do everything perfectly that no human could? Seem farfetched? Well frankly powering cars with corn probably seemed the same a few years back. When cars were first invented, most people thought there was no future in them, that any horse could easily outperform a car, and in short-there was no way for cars to improve to anything better.

Yet look, we have Ethanol oil (maybe not used as widely nowadays, but it exists) and we have cars that can go in the hundreds of miles per hour, with the power of one hundred or more horses. How do you know that the seemingly "simple" macros could not evolve?

Natural selection and survival of the fittest. That's how it is for gold farmers. Only the best programs and programmers make enough money to survive. How do you know that a Pking Macro will not one day be made? How do you know that you won't see Macro Clans going to GWD one day? How do you know you won't be teamed by 5 macro ancients "Double Casting" ancients with perfect timing the next time you set foot in the wild? How do you know you won't get ripped apart by a macro clan of 3 DDS'ers? How do you know that the same person won't have a similar clan IN EVERY SINGLE WORLD? You don't. Impossible as it may seem, PROGRAMMING EVOLVES, and when you put it into perspective, it may not be far off.

So macros will eventually ruin the game if not taken care of. What next?

Mod Hobagoly says, "Deciding to remove unbalanced trade was not an overnight decision we started working on it in 2006." The difficult part was not the removal of unbalanced trade, but the creation of new content to replace what would be lost. Andrew says, "I could have removed unbalanced trade at any time, it's just a few lines of code."

Mod Mark says, "The easy thing would have been to say: 'Right, let's leave the Wilderness as it is, you just can't pick up other players' drops.' Instead of just removing things, we've looked to replace them with something equivalent or, indeed, better."

So if Jagex didn't care at all about you as you imply, why didn't Andrew save himself MONTHS of time by just hitting the backspace button? Maybe because HE DOES CARE? That's why Jagex took the time to think of replacements such as BH, CW, FOG, and now PvP Worlds.

Although, to be fair, I was never a pk'er and never really liked it much. Perhaps I am biased against pk'ing, but my honest opinion is that Macroing had to be dealt with, and pking, unfortunately, had to be an innocent victim of the solution.

"Large RWT trade companies"? You mean those sweatshops full of goldfarmers?

Hmm... they're large, their business is RWT and they're companies. Sounds like Large RWT companies to me.

and pking, unfortunately, had to be an innocent victim of the solution.
And that is right. Jagex killed PKing because there were more (and still are) more skillers than PKers.
The_Maddest.png

it's a game :-s ?

hold on. lemme elaborate on this cause 3 word posts are pointless.

giant EDIT:

[hide=]you're going to rant on how runescape RUINED your life? because i'm getting that impression. i just... i'm speechless. i say it's a game because quite honestly... i mean what if halo 3 (imo it is) the worst halo out of the series, they ruined the plot, the guns were horrible, it's overhyped, and there's a bunch of *internet word here* infesting the online part of the game. well i'd say

9/25/07- THE DAY HALO DIED. AND I WILL NEVER GET OVER IT.

lemme rephrase what i said in the beginning.

it's only a game :x . you're really going to make a big stink about how a game has been ruined because of a couple updates? let me tell you something, if there was only a "few" gamers that died from such a scam that you did and also fell for it would not make ANY sense what so ever if jagex listened to only a minority of players instead of the majority.

i'd like to say that pre-grand exchange the vast majority of players that played for a year prior, have probably been scammed. yeah they got over it, and i think/hope you did too at the time you fell for one. but lets be honest here, they got over it because they have the common sense to say "hey, i just lost a really important peice to my enjoyment too this game, but oh well! it's only a game and i have plenty of time to get all of my things back!" what i'm seeing from you, is that you demand upon selfish thoughts that the old runescape was "better" and that your experiences applied to every one. well i'm sorry to be the bringer of bad news but your experiences were quite trivial. the old rs as applied to the current one, was full of people who took advantage of you at every moment. they took FULL advantage of the limitless trade. you could buy a guys hard earned dragon chain body (which at the time was very expensive) for 10k if your fingers were quick enough. now tell me- is it fair if i spent countless hours perhaps days at the kalphite queen only too see some one go and take the one item i have to prove for it too take it from me unfairly? let me answer that rhetorical question- NO. if runescape was as it was it'd be dead a year ago.

jagex will listen to the majority of players. if the majority of players will maturely say "scamming is a very big problem in runescape, please fix it" then jagex will do it. they [jagex] are not puppets. they are people trying to make their buissiness [game] be enjoyable to every one. and if you can only make it enjoyable too 80% of the people that play rs, then so be it.[/hide]

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

Hmm... they're large, their business is RWT and they're companies. Sounds like Large RWT companies to me.

Yup, also known as sweatshops

it's a game :-s ?

* RuneScape is a Java-based MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) operated by Jagex Ltd.

DeviledEgg24.png

Anyone up for a reading comprehension lesson?

I am aware of the differences between Macroers and Goldfarmers. It looks like Compfreak didn't even quote it correctly, he is mixing in the comments of two different users (me and the other moron)

Me: Without macros, there is no RWT. Macros were the problem, not Pkers.

Him:Come on Kid! are you framiliar with the term, "gold farmer"?

Me: You need to take a 3rd grade reading comprehension lesson.

And then, in the following post I made the point that Pking was only one of the many ways of transfering gold exc. They should not change the game in a way that negatively effects playing.

Practically every other MMORPG online has open trades for a reason: Players prefer them.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

They should not change the game in a way that negatively effects playing.

Practically every other MMORPG online has open trades for a reason: Players prefer them.

Yet I'm sure that every player would prefer that the game still be here. It might have affected your gameplay, but you can't deny that RWT was a major problem in RS.

Take Blizzard for example - they've sued RWT companies before, but it's not gotten them anywhere. Players might have an open trade system, but being able to buy achievements devalue playing the game for any length of time.

Would you rather go back to the old RS with it lasting all of an additional nine months after December 2007, or would you rather still play it today? Or even if you prefer, you can simply leave the game community if you're that disgusted with the decisions that Jagex has made.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Nice effort on the part of Jagex, but they did absolutely nothing to solve this RWT "problem." You can still easily use BH to transfer and bots are now better then ever.

Far fewer bots now, it's several orders of magnitude better. BH is very, very risk - I've seen many attempted RWTs brought to a sudden end by any of the half dozen teams cruising around BH.

DeviledEgg24.png

RS is definitely not dead, as I am still playing. The "risk free" things can be good and bad, and will not satisfy everyone (definitely didn't satisfy you) but RS will keep changing like everything else in the world. If you really hate it that much, quit RS, like many others. Not saying that's bad, because you can always find something else to do, but people will still join RS and it will probably not die for a long time. Maybe never.