Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skill Capes vs. Quest Skill Cape

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

FatherJack
[ Display Name History ]

FatherJack

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
I think if you find all the minimum levels to complete every quest (for example, X attack, X strength etc...) add the combined xp and compare you'll have a more complete picture.

I think many people are just taking into account the actual quest and not the skill levels to start the quest. So all these "reading a guide isn't as hard as grafting on one particular skill" is unfair, because you need to skill in multiple areas to complete one quest.

As a small example, to start While Guthix Sleeps by pure skill levels you need:

23 Summoning (6,291)

55 Hunter (166,636)

60 Thief (273,742)

65 Defence (273,742)

65 Farming (449,428)

65 Herblore (449,428)

75 Magic (1,210,421)

That's at least 2 million XP, I'm sure adding other higher quest requirements will add up to 13m (isn't that the requirement for 99?) so personally, I would rate the quest cape as a higher achievement than a single skill cape. I could be wrong, though.

ailiries
[ Display Name History ]

ailiries

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
I am personally impressed with the attention span of anyone who acquires a Skill Cape. I suffer from adult ADD and am incapable of grinding for hours on end. With that being said, I still believe that a Quest Cape requires a more well-rounded player. In order to acquire a Quest Cape the player must not only finish the quests, some of which are very difficult and/or try your patience in a unique way. They must also grind to get the required levels to even attempt quests, especially medium to hard quests. And the cherry is you have to continue to work to keep it as new quests are added. So my vote goes to anyone who can obtain, and maintain, a Quest Cape.

zunee_boy
[ Display Name History ]

zunee_boy

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • RSN:Zunee27
  • RSN2:Denim Babie
  • Clan:SoDB - Slayers of Dangerous Beasts
Don't listen to me because I don't have any cape (Obsidian ftw), but I actually think a TRIMMED 99 beats Quest.

I do a majority of my quests with a guide which generally makes it easier, but there have been harder quests, like Fremminik Trials and the one to get to Jatizso without a guide. Quests can really be a challenge, like Monkey Madness with 42 prayer -.-; it took forever to get through without getting k0'd, but I made it through with only 46 jailings and 2 deaths.

I'm working on a Thieving cape right now, and even though it looks like I have 65 I have 73 :P. It's taken a lot of my time and focus and is actually quiet difficult. Getting 99 combats and slayer would take much longer than getting all the quests, seeing as you have to deal with long tasks as well as getting expensive/rare armour to survive. Sure, Use Knife -> Log seems easy, but it still takes time. Farming takes forever as well, so it is quite a struggle.

Quests and Skills are inter-related. You need high skills for quests and you need a lot of quests to get some of the best training spots.

Skill cape(t) > Quest cape > Skill cape
Posted Image
Posted Image

wordsofthelord
[ Display Name History ]

wordsofthelord

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 215 posts
I dont have either style of capes but in my oppinion I think the quest cape is more impressive because you have to train your skills to certain levels to be able to do all the quests. You dont have a choice which skills that is determined by the quest. You might have to train a skill you find totaly boring and never have an intention of training, like summoning and farming for me right now. I have no intention of training them so i will not be able to get quest cape. And to those who say oh look a quest cape he can follow directions, dont forget that you still have to train your skills to a certain level not just follow directions. Most skill capes can be "bought" a quest cape cannot be "bought".
Posted Image

Horatio666
[ Display Name History ]

Horatio666

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Location:Being strangled by my goldfish. Please come help me!
  • RSN:Horatio666
Well, personally I would say that it all depends on hat the person likes but as I have to decide...

I would say quest cape. A skill cape can consist of simply clicking mindlessly (not always the case I know) and once you get 99 that's it.

Whereas with quest cape, not only does it require more than 1 skill (including farming, herblore, slayer, agility*) it also requires to continuous work to keep.

So, for me at least, it's quest cape

NOTE: Farming is a long, side-along skill. Slayer takes a very long time, as does agility and herblore makes big-time loss
Posted Image
"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

Phox1515
[ Display Name History ]

Phox1515

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:DJ Phox
  • Clan:T.D.M.

A skillcape is a 99 in a skill. 13,034,431 experience, while a quest cape is that someone finished every quest. You can measure skill levels, you can't really measure quests as easily (ex. "I have 98 Firemaking", shows you almost have firemaking mastered as a level.

But the "puzzles" are very easy. This is a game designed for those -10 years old. Sure, some might be confusing, but once you "get it " its really easy.

ummm lets think here for a minute mm kay. you need an average of 400-700k exp in 24 skills. at the bare min 400k that's a total of 9.6 mil exp on the high end 16.8 m but for the sake of debate we'll take the low amount... so you need to gain as of right now at least 9.6 mil exp before you can do every quest. then we gotta factor in gathering many items and hours upon hours upon hours of questing.... between 30 min (even the short ones take at least 20 min) and 3 hours. in the 30 min you can gain 20k exp in most skills.... at the min we'll say there's 140 quests right now as i know we're between that and 150... that means a min of 46.6 hours. which is 933.3k exp you could have gained training a 99 at the min of every quest being only 20 min which as we all (at least qp capers know) is not true for all. so now lets look at high ends

3 hour is max for me with and without guides. im gonna be fair and say 1 1/2 hours as a mid range / average. in that time you can get 80k exp. 1.5 hours x 140 quests = 210 hours x 80k exp = 16,800,000 exp so between 933k and 16.8 mil in exp loss from doing all the quests. plus the 9.6m you already had to earn doing the quests.... prob about 20 mil exp total in what you already had to have plus what you could have gained in that amt of time.

with those calculations i think its safe to say a qp cape is much more awesome as it requires more time to get it plus you have to maintain it every month

now as far as the game being made for peopole less than 10 years old thats not true and you know it. for starters you must either have faxed / mailed parentel permision to play if you are under 13 years old and second off andrew himself has said on the forums they make the game as they would enjoy it and they msot certainly are not younger than 10 years old. so check your facts before you try that card again.

Phox1515
[ Display Name History ]

Phox1515

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:DJ Phox
  • Clan:T.D.M.

I have the Answer on All problems :thumbsup:

Don't wear any cape at all :lol:

Be proud and wear the tip.it-cape <3:

wait you just said to do 2 differen things... first not o wear any cape then to wear the tipit cape.... which one?

MyWorld77
[ Display Name History ]

MyWorld77

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts
I have 243 qps and 2 99's at the moment. So luckily, I see both sides of this arguement. Yes, they are the noob cook and fletch capes. I'll admit it. I bought fletch post 90, and just about all of cook. Is that wrong? If I make money doing other skills, or from drops etc, why wouldn't I want to put it toward a skill? Yes, I do believe this "downgrades" certain capes in the awe factor. But I am also just about to level 93 in farm. :) Certain capes will always be ranked differently to various people, but I think we can all agree that Con, Sum, Farm, Slay, pray will usually seem more impressive than cook, fm, fletch, and the melee capes. (PC ftw?) Anyone who has a quest cape gets my kudos for training all of their stats to meet the min requirements, and spending countless hours gathering materials and doing puzzles of the various quests. But to be honest, anyone who has tier level 3 in all the achievement diaries, has my respect over the quest cape and most of the nub capes! Just my opinion of course. :)
99 Fletch/Cook/Farm
{Started- 11/06}

arimu
[ Display Name History ]

arimu

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • RSN:detrumi
I think the big difference is that for the quest cape you have to have a good and balanced personage. Good skills and good combat. For a skill cape u don't have to have trained all skills. For example: if u hate farming, u can easily get a skill cape without farming. But if u want a skill cape, u'll need to have trained all skills, also the ones u hate.

Btw I'm aiming for a quest cape too, but got bored at some time, and there are some really though quests left. Well, I'll do them sometimes...

Posted Image

lagatag
[ Display Name History ]

lagatag

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,557 posts
After While Guthix Sleeps (first quest in years that I didn't meet reqs for, not counting quests based on skills released after slayer when I quit), I'd say the quest cape is more impressive in general

99 in skills like RC or Slayer are still more impressive though imo
Posted Image

seeds222
[ Display Name History ]

seeds222

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 30 posts
if u add up all the exp u need for the highest level in each skill it still doesnt add up to the total exp u need for just 1 99

therefore i think a skill cape i smore impressive

hhankhilll
[ Display Name History ]

hhankhilll

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • RSN:hhank hilll
  • RSN2:wei wu wei
  • Clan:TSG
this is my capes in order quest -> fletch -> mage -> str -> hp -> att

fletch came at 126 cb (lol) and quest at around 110 personally i think the lower lvl u r with quest cape the more impressive it is but all in all its still not very impressive at all. a skill cape on the other hand (besides fletch/cook/fm) is imho pretty impressive and since i got fletch as nooby as it is i havent gone back to quest once

and its not quest "skill" cape as much as i loved it when i got it to when i got fletch cape it is what it is and doesnt amount to a skillcape even if it takes well over 13m xp to get :D
Posted Image
Dk drops: 37 Barrows: 11 Dragon: 33 Visage: 2 Whip: 5 Dark Bow: 1

Posted Image

XS3tHzX
[ Display Name History ]

XS3tHzX

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 32 posts
Personally, I think that it depends on the skill.

On average, a skill cape is harder to get, and thus more respectable, than a Quest Cape. On average. But when you compare a quest cape to a Cooking/Fletching Cape, then the Quest cape is more respectable.

Something like RC or Herblore, a QP Cape can't stand up to that.

So IMO, Skill Cape > Quest Cape
¤Ÿ¤Ÿ 20death04 in Runescape, Semi-Retired Ÿ¤Ÿ¤
100M+ Net Worth - Yes I do own the AGS in my avatar.
Posted Image

Evil Pig20
[ Display Name History ]

Evil Pig20

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
You all seem to say quest cape is too easy, so from your point of view the fletching, cooking and theiving capes should be removed entirely?

Evil Pig20
[ Display Name History ]

Evil Pig20

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
I've done it - added up all the requirments of the quest with the xp and found the total :s

Agility 60 (273,742)

Attack 15 (2,411

Combat 85

Construction 50 (101,333)

Cooking 70 (737,627)

Crafting 66 (496,254)

Defence 65 (449,428)

Farming 65 (449,428)

Firemaking 55 (166,636)

Fishing 62 (333,804)

Fletching 53 (136,594)

Herblore 65 (449,428)

Hunter 55 (166,636)

Magic 75 1,210,421)

Mining 60 (273,742)

Prayer 55 (166,636)

Ranged 60 (273,742)

Runecrafting 50 (101,333)

Slayer 59 (247,886)

Smithing 69 (668,051)

Strength 60 (273,742)

Summoning 23 (6,291)

Theiving 63 (368,599)

Woodcutting 72 (899,257)

Total: 6,815,329

(Give or take a bit, I was tired and this too about 15 minutes :()

So just by getting the requirements your half way to a 99, I think that after doing all the quests plus getting the items you have DEFINATELY earned an achievement cape.

XS3tHzX
[ Display Name History ]

XS3tHzX

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 32 posts
The thing that you're missing with Quest skill requirements is that you aren't considering the difficulty.

Getting 13M in assorted skills for quest requirements is MUCH easier than 13M xp in RC, Agility, or Slayer.
¤Ÿ¤Ÿ 20death04 in Runescape, Semi-Retired Ÿ¤Ÿ¤
100M+ Net Worth - Yes I do own the AGS in my avatar.
Posted Image

Evil Pig20
[ Display Name History ]

Evil Pig20

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts

The thing that you're missing with Quest skill requirements is that you aren't considering the difficulty.

Getting 13M in assorted skills for quest requirements is MUCH easier than 13M xp in RC, Agility, or Slayer.

Nice you say you quoted the 3 slowest skills to level...

You have to take into account that it takes LONGER than many skill capes and therefore is an achievement. Also getting 13m in assorted skills would be harder than grinding at one, as you'd spend time buying new equipment and moving etc.

fastknight20
[ Display Name History ]

fastknight20

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 118 posts
from the requirements posted on 20-21-921-56285814

I find that the total experience needed, including the 85 cmb(put the guy at 65 atk/str/def, 60 rng, 75 magic, 55 pray, 26 sum, 66 hp), is proximately 9.45m, only 2.55m short of a skill cape.

Personally, I believe that the quest cape is better than some, but not all. IMO Rc, slayer, agility and farming, maybe con, would be more of an accomplishment than the quest cape while the others are either easily got by grinding or bought with cash which doesn't really show anything.

JustPokemon
[ Display Name History ]

JustPokemon

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I say Quest Capes are more impressive and fun to get, yet also more expensive and takes longer. The problem with Quest Capes is that you have to do every single quest that comes out to keep your cape, meaning you wont be able to keep it in F2P. The Skill Capes are more boring and cheaper, but its still an Achievement Cape, and it still is impressive. And, you can kee pthe Skill Capes in F2P.

mrdoctorsir
[ Display Name History ]

mrdoctorsir

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 59 posts
i have to say i think quest cape is more impressive

the thing about a skill cape is it is -1- thing with a quest cape it is tons of things and some quests aren't exactly easy to say the least

Maybe some of the much harder skill capes are impressive (as mentioned slayer cb stats and agility) but in general i'd really have to say a quest cape is better

having said that you can't really compare the 2 capes, with all the different levels of skill capes there can be almost no definitive answer can there?

i say quest cape is better than skill capes unless it's slayer or cb stat capes

i know that's not really debating but you can't really debate something like this can you? unless you see a quest cape topping every single skill, or all skill capes topping a quest cape (and i really haven't seen to many people like that)
As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

Posted Image
yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users