'tis the season for a new mouse (what-to-buy thread)

Roberthree

OK, I just got back from my first Saradomin GWD solo! Yay! Didn't die at all. [/brag]

Normally I love my mouse

9043530909.jpg

It makes alching, potion making, and the like super comfortable and easy. Unfortunately it kills my hand when I use it at sara GWD (I could have gotten several kills. I had to teleport after 2 kills because my thumb died on me) or anywhere I have to move back and forth across my entire screen repeatedly. So, seeing as how its the holidays and I'm about to get handed 45 gift cards that I'll trade to people for slightly less cash I think I'm going to buy a new mouse. Nothing wireless, and something that doesn't stick. I'm a cheap bastard so if you can keep it at around the same price as I paid for this one ($20-30) that'd be grrrreat!

You really don't want a wireless one, I hate mine with a passion. Laser mice are good, although maybe out of your budget I think.

That depends on the wireless mouse. All of the cheap (under $50) wireless mice suck. The expensive ones from Logitech like the Revolution and the G7 are really good, they should be for the $60-$70 price tag. I have the G7 amazing mouse but I wish it had more buttons like the G5 which has a forward button.

To the OP, do you play any games, besides Runescape with this mouse? Like fps games?

goldenblade995.png

Why don't you want a wireless mouse? As blade said, most of the cheap ones are terrible, but the higher end wireless mice are really excellent. I have owned a Logitech MX Revolution Mouse for a little over a year now (I picked it up on black Friday last year for 40$) and it has served me flawlessly. There is no noticeable lag at all, even when playing games and it is much, much more comfortable and looks much better then any of the mice in the Logitech gaming series. While on Newegg it is a bit overpriced, shop around and you should be able to find a good deal on one within your price range.

I don't trust wireless mice. When I click, I want it to click. When I press a key on my keyboard, I want a character to appear. It hasn't been so with me and wireless keyboards so far. Call me behind the times, but I'd even rather have ps/2 than USB.

C2b6gs7.png

If your right handed, go for Logitech MX518/G5/G7 as they are more ergonomically designed than Razer's symmetrical mice. All mice come with software that can adjust sensitivity with gaming mice able to adjust it on the fly.

eggzs.png

razer_deathadder_1.jpg

5 buttons (including scroll), 1800 dpi and a software that comes with it that you can use to customize your sensitivity.

Razer deathadder, should be about 40-45? worth it if you ask me.

My Razer Diamondback lasted about 6 months of heavy use (WoW lol). I wouldn't recommend them unless their quality has improved, which it very well might have.

razer_deathadder_1.jpg

5 buttons (including scroll), 1800 dpi and a software that comes with it that you can use to customize your sensitivity.

My Razer Diamondback lasted about 6 months of heavy use (WoW lol). I wouldn't recommend them unless their quality has improved, which it very well might have.

Hm, interesting.

A friend has a Razer (dunno which model) for her mac, which she's used a couple of years... And she plays UT, D2 etc... Haven't heard of a breakdown.

Anyways, i have a Saitek... Good options for the low price (tho my model isn't produced anymore).

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

razer_deathadder_1.jpg

Hm, interesting.

A friend has a Razer (dunno which model) for her mac, which she's used a couple of years... And she plays UT, D2 etc... Haven't heard of a breakdown.

Anyways, i have a Saitek... Good options for the low price (tho my model isn't produced anymore).

I quite possibly just had one with a defect.

And I also recommend Saitek, never had any issues with their products. Had one of their keyboards till a glass of water trashed it(it was probably ~3 glass of water it had taken) :wall:

Haha, I'm a cheap bastard too. If you are like me as you say, then just shop around. My mouse is a microsoft mouse I got on sale for $12 and it served me over the past few months flawlessly even if it's a microsoft. Bought it after my Hp wireless that came with my computer's buttons wore out. Had served me flawlessly for a few years.

I got that G5 mouse on my desktop system, but I barely ever play games anymore so it gets little use, maybe once a month.

The weight cartridge system is more or less a gimmick; I don't notice any difference while using 4.5 grams or more of weight, or none at all. It's very accurate though, if you like strategy and FPS games that require fast reflex, it's perfect. It definitely beats all the cheap stock mice I used years ago.

On laptop I use a generic Microsoft wireless laser mouse with around 1000dpi. Can't say from experience wireless is unreliable, and 1 AA battery lasts even up to half a year if you don't click around crazy. Wired has it's perks though, like lower latency, and no need to recharge or buy new batteries.

I got that G5 mouse on my desktop system, but I barely ever play games anymore so it gets little use, maybe once a month.

The weight cartridge system is more or less a gimmick; I don't notice any difference while using 4.5 grams or more of weight, or none at all. It's very accurate though, if you like strategy and FPS games that require fast reflex, it's perfect. It definitely beats all the cheap stock mice I used years ago.

On laptop I use a generic Microsoft wireless laser mouse with around 1000dpi. Can't say from experience wireless is unreliable, and 1 AA battery lasts even up to half a year if you don't click around crazy. Wired has it's perks though, like lower latency, and no need to recharge or buy new batteries.

I will say i do notice the mouse is heavier and i have the heaviest ones in. I don't game anymore due to new internet i do use my mouse all the time though and it is hold in strong. i will say i think the weights ar some what a gimmick too.

Roberthree, if you wish to have something that is "simple, but very useful", none of the above are such a great idea. Instead, I would suggest the Logitech LX3 Optical Mouse as your "weapon of choice"...

Link :arrow: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/149&cl=us,en

BTW, I'm using an LX5 Cordless Optical Mouse here, which my Dad chose...

Link :arrow: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/150&cl=us,en

I can say that as long as I remain in-range, and don't mis-position the wired receiver, it works like an awesome hell-buster... I can, on a really good day, get like 300 frags-per-hour with this mouse on "Stick Arena: Ballistick", although I'd think that would be extendable to stuff like Unreal Tournament, CS:S, Rasterwerks.com's "Phosphor FPS Beta" and/or Quake 3/4/Wars... Makes great for causing people to feel my wrath... :twisted:

~D. V. "Best weapons are never fancy, just really functional..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)