The Gaza Strip

magekillr

JERUSALEM The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees said Friday it has halted all aid shipments into the Gaza Strip due to interference by the ruling Hamas militant group.

The U.N. Relief and Works agency said it made the decision after Hamas personnel intercepted an aid shipment for the second time this week.

In a statement, UNRWA said 10 truckloads of flour and rice that had been delivered into Gaza on Thursday were taken away by trucks affiliated with the Hamas-run Ministry of Social Affairs. Earlier this week, Hamas police took thousands of blankets and food parcels meant for needy residents.

UNRWA said the suspension would remain in effect until the aid is returned and the agency receives credible assurances from the Hamas government that such thefts will end. There was no immediate reaction from Hamas.

UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said the agency would continue to distribute aid from its existing supplies in Gaza, but that stocks were running low.

"There is enough aid for days, not weeks," he said. Complicating the situation, he said the agency has not been able to import plastic bags used for food distribution, and that existing supplies will run out early next week.

In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum called UNRWA's decision "unjustified."

The story goes on here.

So now that Hamas won't be getting any more UN aid to distribute, how much longer do you think the Gaza Palestinians will keep them in their position in government? Many of you made the argument that Hamas was popular because of their "good works" - now that they have no foreign aid to distribute I would expect things to shake up a bit.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I saw that. It definitely will shake things up in the Palestinians' heads, but unfortunately for them, many of the IDF attacks have already turned the people against Israel the state, and Hamas' popularity will probably remain the same/go up. The attacks were more of a gain for Hamas' popularity than Hamas blocking shipments of aid. I'm sure they'll spread false lying propaganda to their people that Israel's checkpoints were the cause for delay, or something.

Fatah, you need to end your corruption, and you need to do it now.