The Gaza Strip

magekillr

Do you know how many people in Israel died in the days following the renunciation of the cease fire? Was it anywhere near 320, 30 of whom children, as is the current UN estimate?

What cease fire? Check out this graph. It's an estimate of the number of rockets fired into Israel since 2002. Keep in mind that Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005.

Qasam.png

Look at that. The number of rocket attacks have actually INCREASED since Israel withdrew. Care to estimate how many casualties those caused (We won't even factor in suicide bombings, which caused about 480 civilian deaths between 1995 and 2005). Furthermore, it's not Israel's fault that Hamas only has access to primitive rocket and mortar technology. If Hamas had better, they'd sure as hell use it. And if they used them, there'd be far more civilian casualities.

And I see you ignored me other point, so I'll try it again: The U.S. and Europe have suffered much less in the way of terrorist attacks than Israel, but have used force much, much, much greater than that of Israel. Of course, you don't hear anything in the way of a public outcry regarding a violation of human rights. Yet Israel, who is constantly subjected to suicide bombers and rockets being fired on their cities week after week, month after month is expected to NOT defend itself? That's BS. I can guarantee that if Hamas were to fire a rocket at, say, London or New York nearly every day for a month there'd be a quick retaliation. No country would stand for what Israel goes through. Those countries which criticize Israel are hypocrites to the nth degree.

Hamas should not have launched those rockets. There are peaceful ways to a solution. I cannot possibly see any way the scale of the Israeli response is justified.

There can be no peace when the other side has specifically stated that their only goal is to see you dead. Seriously. Do you not realize just how many concessions Israel has made in order to broker in peace only to have the deals be shot down by either Arafat, Hamas or any of the other Arab nations? Obviously not.

Point being?

Just what I said.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure innocence died for many Palestinians and Israelis in that general area in the past forty or fifty years. A situation that likely has happened thus far:

Mohammed has been told by all the men in his family how terrible the Jews are. Terribly ridiculous stories that may or may not have happened. Mohammed believes them. He follows his friends and leaders and family into hating all Jews and intending to exterminate them from the planet. He goes with his friends to shoot a mortar at a nearby Jewish village. It fires, and a whole family is killed. However, the Palestinians all run the instant it is fired - except for Mohammed. He can see the house, and saw people die. He vows never again to take up arms, and joins peaceful Muslim groups hoping for, well, peace. However, one day, he sees soldiers fighting. He runs out to encourage everyone to stop, but is shot - who knows who killed him, though. Most terrorists believe the Israelis did it, Israelis believe it to be the terrible terrorists. Nobody really knows, but Mohammed, a peace worker, becomes another symbol of war. This is a scenario that is quite likely.

Vlad's an Israeli Jew . His parents fled from Germany to Russia, and than to the supposed golden land of Israel. He heard of all the wars and fighting. His parents tell him of the horrors they'd experienced and saw others experience. Some of these are exaggerated. Vlad comes of age and takes up his rifle willingly. He goes on a patrol with his dearest friends, when a misfired terrorist rocket hits an Arab town near the border. He and his friends run in to help, and are welcomed, but then several angry Palestinean men show up and kill as many people as they can see. Vlad returns fire as he was trained to do, and accidentally hits a small boy, along with maybe twelve other people. He decides it is time for peace. He is in the Gaza Strip when he is killed by an explosions of some sort. Another martyr that was not so willing.

Fiction? Yes. Likely? Very. People can be very empathetic in the right situations. Unfortunately, people can be terrible to each other just as easily.

Hope you guys understand I'm trying to show how there are two sides of the story.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

That's because they put their military bases in the middle of a city and they probably don't even have bomb shelters. We have rooms built to withstand rockets in every house. The civilians just can't protect themselves.

Ah, this old chestnut.

Could it be that Hamas was forced to put military bases in the middle of cities because its been given a stupidly small amount of land to work with for the amount of people it has? The Gaza strip is the largest refugee camp in the world, yet you expect Hamas to make a decent country out of it?

Even the UN hasn't blamed Hamas for having military bases in the middle of cities. Far from it, it actually condemned Israel for using excessive force in a small area in the knowledge civilian casualties would be a result.

Last I checked, hospitals and schools make pretty damn useless military bases too, yet they're being targeted. Strange.

Look at that. The number of rocket attacks have actually INCREASED since Israel withdrew. Care to estimate how many casualties those caused (We won't even factor in suicide bombings, which caused about 480 civilian deaths between 1995 and 2005).

480 deaths in ten years : 320 deaths in three days?

And I see you ignored me other point, so I'll try it again: The U.S. and Europe have suffered much less in the way of terrorist attacks than Israel, but have used force much, much, much greater than that of Israel.

Your argument would work if I actually supported our actions in either Afghanistan or Iraq. You appear to have fallen for the newly christened "All people from a country think the same as its government" fallacy.

There can be no peace when the other side has specifically stated that their only goal is to see you dead.

...And the other side has claimed a divine right to your holy land. Be honest here, they're both belligerents, it's just one acts the sweet maiden to the West whilst portraying the other as the untamed beast.

Do you not realize just how many concessions Israel has made in order to broker in peace only to have the deals be shot down by either Arafat, Hamas or any of the other Arab nations?

Do you realise how unjust its history has been since WWII, thanks to Europe and the US?

Your argument is tantamount to saying "Oh look how much company X gave away to its competitors" when it owned a monopoly in the first place.

That's because they put their military bases in the middle of a city and they probably don't even have bomb shelters. We have rooms built to withstand rockets in every house. The civilians just can't protect themselves.

Ah, this old chestnut.

Could it be that Hamas was forced to put military bases in the middle of cities because its been given a stupidly small amount of land to work with for the amount of people it has? The Gaza strip is the largest refugee camp in the world, yet you expect Hamas to make a decent country out of it?

Even the UN hasn't blamed Hamas for having military bases in the middle of cities. Far from it, it actually condemned Israel for using excessive force in a small area in the knowledge civilian casualties would be a result.

Last I checked, hospitals and schools make pretty damn useless military bases too, yet they're being targeted. Strange.

The Gaza strip may not be big, but it's big enough to not put military placements in the main cities. Hamas have been asked by countries such as Egypt and Lebanon, stop firing rockets, and they've ignored the advice. Hospitals and schools aren't targetted. If it has rockets in, then it is no longer a hospital or school, it's a military and strategic point.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Ah, this old chestnut.

No, it's a tactic. They do it because it puts Israel in the proverbial pickle. Israel can either do nothing and let Hamas continue to attack them or Israel can retaliate against Hamas, thus allowing Hamas to play the "Israel is bombing innocent civilians!" card. Quite honestly, it's not Israel's job to worry about whether or not the terrorists are hiding among civilians. If the citizens of Gaza won't police themselves and kick Hamas out, then why should Israel do nothing and let Hamas continue to shell Israeli cities? They shouldn't.

...And, seriously, Gaza isn't as "small" as you're making it out to be. I'd be willing to bet you've never been to Gaza or Israel or anywhere near the Middle East. I have and can effectively say you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Even the UN hasn't blamed Hamas for having military bases in the middle of cities.

Who cares about what the U.N. thinks? No one, outside of the U.S. and Japan, really does anything when it comes to keeping the peace. Most of the members-- ESPECIALLY the European member nations-- Are, as far as I'm concerned, hypocritical pansies. They do NOTHING to try to prevent Hamas from constantly launching rockets and mortars onto Israeli cities or stopping the influx of suicide bombers who blow themselves up on buses and in malls in Israel, yet are the first to complain when Israel closes down their borders or launches a counterstrike. Of course, God forbid if some terrorist regime in another country were to do half the things to them they do in Israel. They wouldn't act any differently than Israel.

Far from it, it actually condemned Israel for using excessive force in a small area in the knowledge civilian casualties would be a result.

*See above*

Gaza is it's own territory. Why should Israel concern themselves with the safety of the populace of Gaza when the populace refuses to police themselves?

What do you mean they're useless? I guess that's why the terrorists are using them, huh? Because they're useless.

480 deaths in ten years : 320 deaths in three days?

So we're comparing numbers? Okay then. In those 3,000+ rocket attacks, how many people do you think have died? I'll assure you it's more than "320".

Your argument would work if I actually supported our actions in either Afghanistan or Iraq. You appear to have fallen for the newly christened "All people from a country think the same as its government" fallacy.

Of course, that wasn't the point at all, but rather to show the complete hypocrisy in the numerous world governments denouncing Israel's actions.

...And the other side has claimed a divine right to your holy land. Be honest here, they're both belligerents, it's just one acts the sweet maiden to the West whilst portraying the other as the untamed beast.

What, exactly, has Israel done? The answer: Nothing.

Do you realise how unjust its history has been since WWII, thanks to Europe and the US?

Unjust? What the hell...? So, in that case, I guess Australia will be giving the land back to the aborigines; the South Africans will be giving the land back to the Zulus; the Americans will be giving the land back to the native Americans (Texas will go to Mexico); etc. Right? Right???

Your argument is tantamount to saying "Oh look how much company X gave away to its competitors" when it owned a monopoly in the first place.

???

Could it be that it really wouldn't matter where they put their bases if they'd stop stupidly firing rockets into Israel? Outgoing rockets attract incoming military attention.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Could it be that it really wouldn't matter where they put their bases if they'd stop stupidly firing rockets into Israel? Outgoing rockets attract incoming military attention.

...and the blockade of aid, food and medical supplies causes rockets. If you sign an agreement and then don't abide by it as Israel has by not ending the blockade then why should Hamas abide by their side of the agreement? It is hypocritical.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

well what can i say

isreal is occupeing palestine

thus palestinians have the right to fight isreal and firing rockets

isreal do not have the right too attack civilian targets or make blockades so medical supplies and food cant get into gaza.....

v49y88.png

...and the blockade of aid, food and medical supplies causes rockets. If you sign an agreement and then don't abide by it as Israel has by not ending the blockade then why should Hamas abide by their side of the agreement? It is hypocritical.

No... the Palestinians have to man up and accept responsibility for what their elected government is doing. Hamas is the clear aggressor here.

Funny... Egypt's border with Gaza was closed at the time as well. Yet Hamas has not been firing rockets across that border.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) is calling for a United Nations investigation into Israels attacks on Gaza, criticizing Israel for a disproportionate response to Hamas rocket attacks.

The criticism stands in stark contrast to the statements of other Democrats, who have offered near-unanimous support for Israel amid the latest violence in the Middle East.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and other Democrats have blamed Hamas for the violence, which has left more than 300 people in Gaza dead. One person in Israel has been killed by a Hamas rocket.

Kucinich likened the Israeli attacks on Gaza to its war with Hezbollah in southern Lebanon in 2006. In both cases, he said, civilian populations were attacked and countless innocents were killed or injured.

All this was, and is, disproportionate, indiscriminate mass violence in violation of international law, Kucinich said in a statement. Israel is not exempt from international law and must be held accountable.

Pelosi and other Democrats have refrained from criticizing Israels government, which has responded to the Hamas attacks with a rocket assault on Gaza.

Peace between Israelis and Palestinians cannot result from daily barrages of rocket and mortar fire from Hamas-controlled Gaza, Pelosi said in a statement posted on the Speakers website on Monday.

Hamas and its supporters must understand that Gaza cannot and will not be allowed to be a sanctuary for attacks on Israel.

Reid said he strongly supported Israels right to defend its citizens from the Hamas rocket attacks and to restore its security. He also blamed Hamas for any humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip.

Hamass failure to stop these attacks only exacerbates the humanitarian situation for the residents of Gaza and undermines efforts to attain peace and security in the region.

In March, the House voted 404-1 for a resolution condemning Hamas and other Palestinian groups for rocket attacks on Israel. It also condemned the use of Palestinians as human shields. Hamas has been criticized repeatedly for shooting rockets into Israel from civilian areas in Gaza, which leads to the deaths of civilians when Israel counterattacks.

The only member of Congress to vote against the resolution was Rep. Ron Paul (Texas), a Republican candidate for president in 2008. Four Democrats, Reps. Jim Moran (Va.), Neil Abercrombie (Hawaii), Michael Capuano (Mass.) and Jim McDermott (Wash.), voted present. Kucinich was not present for the vote.

Kucinich said the perpetrators of attacks against Israel should be brought to justice, but that Israel cannot create a war against an entire people in order to attempt to bring to justice the few who are responsible.

Pelosi said the U.S. must continue to do everything it can to promote peace in the region and a negotiated settlement between Israelis and Palestinians. She said humanitarian needs of all innocent civilians must be addressed, but added that when Israel is attacked, the United States must continue to stand strongly with its friend and democratic ally.

Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said Israel had a duty to defend itself in response to the attacks. The loss of innocent life is a terrible tragedy, and the blame for that tragedy lies with Hamas.

Similarly, Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) laid blame with Hamas.

Hamas is abusing the people of Gaza by using their homes as a base for terror operations, he said. The world should no longer tolerate a terrorist government in the Gaza Strip.

President-elect Obama has yet to weigh in on the violence, although top adviser David Axelrod on Sunday noted statements Obama made over the summer that respected Israels right to defend itself.

Kucinich said in his statement that he had sent a letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon requesting an independent inquiry. He said the attacks on civilians represented collective punishment, which he said was a violation of Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention.

God, I just love Kucinich so much. Although I will say I never supported his run for President because he's kind of the black sheep of the Democratic party, and would thusly follow in Jimmy Carter's shoes. If only he had the same charisma and ability to inspire like Obama...he'd be like my perfect Presidential candidate.

Although, he's not going to get anywhere. Let's just take a look at the vetoes that the US has laid out throughout the years, allowing Israel and the US to be above international law:

http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa03.html

well what can i say

isreal do not have the right too attack civilian targets or make blockades so medical supplies and food cant get into gaza.....

What.

So, a very cut-back (are they even still there?) occupation means the Palestinians can shoot all the rockets they want, at any target...

But the Israelis cannot? Plus, are you serious about the blockades?

Sure, it's a disproportionate attack, and sure, it will never have the hoped effect (basically telling hateful Muslim terrorists "[bleep] OFF"), but the Hamas certainly aren't making the lives of their people any better.

I side with the civilians on both sides. Just stop the [cabbage] - abusing religion for power is ridiculous.

well what can i say

What.

So, a very cut-back (are they even still there?) occupation means the Palestinians can shoot all the rockets they want, at any target...

But the Israelis cannot? Plus, are you serious about the blockades?

Sure, it's a disproportionate attack, and sure, it will never have the hoped effect (basically telling hateful Muslim terrorists "[bleep] OFF"), but the Hamas certainly aren't making the lives of their people any better.

I side with the civilians on both sides. Just stop the [cabbage] - abusing religion for power is ridiculous.

im not the best on laws and stuff but yes hamas have the full right to shoot rockets all occupied people have the right to resist and its nto terrorism according to the geneve convention

the isrealis can probs shot at military targets like hamas but isrealis are breaking alot og geneve convention rules and disproportionate attacks is in a un rule or the geneve too

i dislike hamas alot they are ruining it for the palestininans but just couse they do doesent mean they dont have the same rights like the rest

the funny part is just how much isreal liked hamas before 70's 80's i belived it was couse they were being a pain in the [wagon] for PLO :wall: now isreal got complete riligous nutcases to deal with

v49y88.png

Well, see, every time Israel open it's borders to allow said things, someone thinks it'd be fun to blow themselves up while on a bus or in a mall.

...And Egypt also has a blockade against Gaza, but has only recently started allowing limited passage to and fro the country. But you don't see Hamas firing rockets at them, do you?

^Edit: Crap. Someone mentioned that before me :'(

im not the best on laws and stuff but yes hamas have the full right to shoot rockets all occupied people have the right to resist and its nto terrorism according to the geneve convention

the isrealis can probs shot at military targets like hamas but isrealis are breaking alot og geneve convention rules and disproportionate attacks is in a un rule or the geneve too

i dislike hamas alot they are ruining it for the palestininans but just couse they do doesent mean they dont have the same rights like the rest

the funny part is just how much isreal liked hamas before 70's 80's i belived it was couse they were being a pain in the [wagon] for PLO :wall: now isreal got complete riligous nutcases to deal with

I guess those are good points, but you have to remember Hamas doesn't have military targets. They do operate in a small area, and I say they're a terrorist organization, and fighting such an organization is like trying to beat dust, or insects. It just won't work. They operate in largely civilian areas, and have huge support thanks to disproportionate attacks.

I can't comment on the Geneva convention, though - I know next to nothing about those points.

I guess those are good points, but you have to remember Hamas doesn't have military targets. They do operate in a small area, and I say they're a terrorist organization, and fighting such an organization is like trying to beat dust, or insects. It just won't work. They operate in largely civilian areas, and have huge support thanks to disproportionate attacks.

I can't comment on the Geneva convention, though - I know next to nothing about those points.

theyre most support is from fatah being curropt PFLP lost alot of funding and prestige when soviet fell and then hamas came and started doing alot of sharity that is mostley why hamas is big

and yes that is kidna the point of underground movements they are underground couse they cant compete with military targets just like the undergrounds in europe agianst nazi germany was

the germans called em terrorists but few regard them as it now

v49y88.png

Hamas was legitly elected into office by a landslide victory in 2006 by the palestinian people. You practically just called the people of palestine, who are mostly ordinary children, women and men, terrorists

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00372.html

RAMALLAH, West Bank, Jan. 26 -- The radical Islamic movement Hamas won a large majority in the new Palestinian parliament, according to official election results announced Thursday, trouncing the governing Fatah party in a contest that could dramatically reshape the Palestinians' relations with Israel and the rest of the world.

In Wednesday's voting, Hamas claimed 76 of the 132 parliamentary seats, giving the party at war with Israel the right to form the next cabinet under the Palestinian Authority's president, Mahmoud Abbas, the leader of Fatah.

[hide=]

[/hide]

Well, see, every time Israel open it's borders to allow said things, someone thinks it'd be fun to blow themselves up while on a bus or in a mall.

...And Egypt also has a blockade against Gaza, but has only recently started allowing limited passage to and fro the country. But you don't see Hamas firing rockets at them, do you?

Your first point is irrelevant, Israel signed the agreement voluntarily and then went back on it. If you don't want to follow the terms then why sign the agreement in the first place? If you make an agreement and then don't follow through with your side of the deal it is absolutely unreasonable to expect the other side to follow through with their side of the deal regardless.

Why would Hamas target Egypt? Egypt didn't break agreements to end the blockage (as they never made one) and Egypt hasn't occupied Palestinian land. On top of that, Egypt's blockade is only in place due to the deal they made with Israel over Israel's disengagement from the Philadelphi route in 2005.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Hamas was legitly elected into office by a landslide victory in 2006 by the palestinian people. You practically just called the people of palestine, who are mostly ordinary children, women and men, terrorists

Since when do you follow the logic that an election = everyone agreeing with the government's actions?

well what can i say

No, "Palestine" was British territory, given to the Israelis to become Israel.

As it was British land they could do what they want with it, and when it was granted to the Israelis (Given) it becomes Israeli owned land.

Therefore they arent occupying the land, they're owning it.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)