Games -> Movies?

Skully

I just watched Enemy at the Gates last week. I don't know if anyone here has seen that movie and played Call of Duty 1 recently, but the first few Russian missions in COD1 and the first 15 minutes of that movie are exactly the same. Clearly COD copied it (having come out after), but had it been the other way around it would be a wonderfully faithful adaptation. :).

That said, games should be moving towards their own storytelling style that links it to the gameplay, and some of the best examples of storytelling in games already do that (mostly RPG's). I think there could be some pretty good action movies made out of the best linear shooters/action games, however I doubt we will be seeing genuinely amazing movie adaptations in of any sort of dramatic movie any time soon. The maturity and quality of most (not all) games is just still not very high.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I would pay big to see a Half life movie, but something in the pit of my gut tells me that it would not be as successful as it's game counterpart.

While it could be cool I would have to say no. The reason why Half Life is such an amazing game and such an amazing act of story telling is due to the fact that it is all happening to YOU. (Well, gordon.. but in video games you take the persona of that person. And since gordon doesn't talk it makes it even easier to add your own input.) If Half Life were to be made a movie it really wouldn't work out. We wouldn't get all those creepy moments with the Gman just looking at you from a window and then walking off. You wouldn't get the same kind of response.

Plus, the first Half Life can be a confusing game. Much like LOST it does not tell you what is going on, and a lot of times the player is up in the air on what is really going on outside of black mesa. In fact, that's really a major story telling aspect of the game. In Half life less about the story is really more.

So I don't think it would work. I don't even think I could see a gordon freeman who talks. For the most part the only thing holywood would be able to do is make it into some sort of half assed action flick, and at worse they would try and inject their own story which would be guesswork at best. You just can't do it.

Mass Effect would be an awesome movie. I was just thinking Deus Ex would be a good movie too. Both of these would have the same problem F3 has though, there are multiple endings. We are going to see how it is resolved for ME though when ME2 comes out, since you can use your ME1 character.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'd enjoy CoD4 as a movie, I think, if it was done correctly. I goddamn loved the characters in it.

I've always found I enjoyed the characters that don't speak the most, for some reason. I think Nadril explained it pretty well, though, so I have no clue how they'd do Soap. :(

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I'd enjoy CoD4 as a movie, I think, if it was done correctly. I goddamn loved the characters in it.

I've always found I enjoyed the characters that don't speak the most, for some reason. I think Nadril explained it pretty well, though, so I have no clue how they'd do Soap. :(

There are thousands of Call of Duty movies out already. It's modern warfare, a subject covered by every entertainment.

Even stripping.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

In my opinion, the main problem with video game movies is that producers never really take them very seriously so they assign some second rate director to them, this means the film ends up being a mere shadow of what it could have been, but fans still flock to cinemas to see it, so the producers still get money.

Games based on movies aren't always bad, I enjoyed the lord of the rings games for the PS2, but generally, games based off the movies but not directly related to the actual plot are better, for example Battle for Middle Earth and Star Wars Battlefront.

This can work the other way too, if a movie is based on a game but is not confined to the game's storyline it could be quite a good film, for example I would definitely watch a film set in the Halo universe, even if it didn't follow Master Chief, perhaps it could show the adventures of another Spartan, or, because I think it could actually be pretty funny, if the right person was chosen to direct, a Crash Bandicoot film.

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

I read that they're making The Sims into a movie. It's a good game, but, idk...

Although, with a good director, writer, and producer, they could make a decent L4D, GTA, or Halo film.

Or maybe PONG - The Movie

The Sim... Doesn't even have a story!!! It's just normal people living their lives! Are they expecting people to watch people live their lives?!? (Even though that's what you're doing in the game...)

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Although, with a good director, writer, and producer, they could make a decent L4D, GTA, or Halo film.

The Sim... Doesn't even have a story!!! It's just normal people living their lives! Are they expecting people to watch people live their lives?!? (Even though that's what you're doing in the game...)

Actually, The Sims does have a storyline. (Well, The Sims 2, at least.)

I believe the term you'd be looking for is Desperate Housewives: The Movie.

Or Days of Our Lives.

Or All Our Children.

I doubt anybody is making that. Most pointless thing. Ever. A circle has more points.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Actually, The Sims does have a storyline. (Well, The Sims 2, at least.)

really i never knoticed a store when i played sims 2.

but 99% of the time movies and games should stay their separate ways. still i would love a final fantasty movie from the main series.

bedce0cd19.png

the Hitman movie was pretty good

Surely you jest.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]