Creating new life in old places... But how/where?

NuckingFuts

Ever consider that they're empty for a reason? Jagex doesn't want every town to be filled with people, it ruins the interaction in larger towns and disrupts their function.

Remember, you can't have large cities without small ones.

Who said I stated to build a large city in that empty space? I said a *minigame*

He didn't quote you either, so don't comment on things not related to what you said.

Does the wildy need a new minigame though? There are allready a bunch of them there.

priest_wiz.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of a few..

Barbarian Village Strongholds of Security and Player Safety are very popular for training in F2P, and Player Safety has the only F2P monsters with any "good" drops

Entrana

Rimmington

Most of Morytania

Priffindas or however you spell it

Seers Village, kind of meh Flax is a good money source for low-mid level members, and this place is awesome for woodcutting (every single type of tree except the special ones, like arctic pine are found here)

Yanille

Castle Wars

all I can think of for now.

:thumbup:

I can think of a few..

Barbarian Village Strongholds of Security and Player Safety are very popular for training in F2P, and Player Safety has the only F2P monsters with any "good" drops

Entrana

Rimmington

Most of Morytania

Priffindas or however you spell it

Seers Village, kind of meh Flax is a good money source for low-mid level members, and this place is awesome for woodcutting (every single type of tree except the special ones, like arctic pine are found here)

Yanille

Castle Wars

all I can think of for now.

Entrana has the Law Altar and is the place to be if you want to start glasblowing. Still almost nobody does that, so it might need a new addition.

Rimmington has an excellent yew wc spot, especially after Rocking Out.

I agree on Morytania. The only decent places to go are the Barrows, Port Phasymatis, Slayer Tower and canafis and the underground tunnels, wich are only a small part of that big place.

Prifddinas doesn't excist yet, so doesn't belong in this topic.

Yanille has the closest House portal to bank and the Magic Guild (closest Essence mine to bank) and Castle Wars is still popular. So I see no real need in that one.

priest_wiz.png

-Rimmington

-Ardougne

-Relekka

-Mort'ton

-Canifis

-Port Phasmateys

-Gu'tanoth

-Yanille

-Edgeville

-Ice Mountain

-Port Khazard

-Burthorpe

-Mage Arena. Could use an update to make it popular again.

-Rat Pits

-Nardah

-Sophanem

-Al Kharid

-Dig Site

-Seer's Village

-Camelot

-Monastery

-Elf Lands. Pretty cool area, but not very much activity.

A) Update Lletya

B) Update Arandar Pass

C) Open up Prindiffas

-Draynor Village and Draynor Manor. No real use here.

-Entrana. Pain to access.

A) Make a less strict ban on items, or even abolish item bans.

B) Update the Scenery

C) Expand more with Entrana quests and/or expand the island with new content.

-Crandor Island. No use except for ranging greater demons.

-Karamja

-Port Sarim

-Lumbridge. I know it has had some updates. But there's not much to the town.

-Castle Wars. Could use some new rewards. Hell, revamp the entire rewards interface. Lanthus could do with a change, too!

-Troll Stronghold and Ice Path. No real use aside for quests and access to GWD.

-Port Phasmateys. It has an interesting story, but the city doesn't really account for it. Expand more on it. Add new content.

-Keldagrim. I personally love this city, but I haven't found any use for it. It needs some content.

Those are about it. There are a lot of low-populated areas that need a graphics makeover or new content.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

One word: Keldagrim.

That city has so much potential but the lack of transport and quests to get there cripple it.

As said very early on, the simpl'est way to breath life into any location is a simple teleport spell. I can almost guarentee you that without teleports, edgeville, seers, most of varrock and the west side of falador would be deserted.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

M.E. Mini Exchanges. Scattered across the map in old centers of trade or in larger towns, these would allow players to buy and sell via the G.E. without going to Varrock. Put one in Pollinivich, Ardougne, Canifis, and Brimhaven. Voila! Suddenly, people have readily available banking and are no longer required to tele back to Varrock is something was forgotten.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Ever consider that they're empty for a reason? Jagex doesn't want every town to be filled with people, it ruins the interaction in larger towns and disrupts their function.

Remember, you can't have large cities without small ones.

Who said I stated to build a large city in that empty space? I said a *minigame*

He didn't quote you either, so don't comment on things not related to what you said.

Does the wildy need a new minigame though? There are allready a bunch of them there.

Why does New York City have so many options and attractions in it? Because it's filled with people and has tourist traffic year round. Now, if you build some other major attraction nearby, less people will go to New York. If there's less people, then the mass demand goes down and affects everything else.

It's a ripple effect that affects the entire game. Ever notice that the larger cities like Varrock are more empty right after a new quest or area is unlocked?

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

There are many 'dead' places around RuneScape which aren't used by anyone, because there are better cities to do things or simply because of their inaccessibility. But one things what has been bugging me for years is that everything in RuneScape is so freaking cramped! For example Edgeville and Barbarian Village are almost one town, with the Stronghold of player Safety in between them. I think it would be a good idea to program (or whatever they do) some more space between settlements in Gielenor. It would help create the feeling of really travelling the woods and barren lands between cities, instead of barging through someone's backyard to get to the next town, which should be 'miles away'.

Exactly! I think it's rather boring almost everything can be reached within a minute. If the distances were multiplied by ten, there could also be a reason to introduce horses and carts, as well as more carting companies like Karamja's service from brimahven to Shilo Village (hajedy's (sp?) and ...?).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

M.E. Mini Exchanges. Scattered across the map in old centers of trade or in larger towns, these would allow players to buy and sell via the G.E. without going to Varrock. Put one in Pollinivich, Ardougne, Canifis, and Brimhaven. Voila! Suddenly, people have readily available banking and are no longer required to tele back to Varrock is something was forgotten.

This.

Just a little measure such as only allowing buying or selling (randomized, some towns in the west buy and others sell and vice-versa) will at least breathe some life into the smaller areas.

I think part of the problem too is simply teleports.

There are plenty of regions on the map that have potential, but the problem is RS's current travel methods. ALL of the basic spell book spells are in a small squeezed location around the center of the map. The only way to get far away on the edges of the map is by numerous quests, and even then, traveling is quite difficult (such as switching to lunar or ancients for teleports)

I think a few of the jewelry should be re-done to expand the locations we can easily travel.

Examples I have are below

Ring of Dueling 8:

Castle Wars

Clan Wars

Al Kharid Duel Arena

Bounty Hunter

Games Necklace 8:

Burthrope Games Room

Barbaian Outpost

Stealing Creation

Trouble Brewing (After Cabin Fever)

Amulet of Training 6: (Sapphire & Spun Willow Root)

Blast Furnace

Tears of Guthix

Temple Building (After Shades of Mort'ton)

Amulet of Diversions 6: (Ruby & Spun Willow Root)

Circus Location

Phoenix Lair

Observatory

Larry

Amulet of Fire 4: (Onyx & Spun Magic Root)

Recharged at Fight Caves for 2k tokuul. (1k with karajima gloves)

Fight Caves

Fight Pits

This not only helps reach far out locations, but gives uses for items like tree roots, which helps farming/crafting all in one.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Grapple shortcut from Al Kharid to the Abandoned mines. This speeds to travel to everything in the eastern side of the map, and might make it more lively.

gapple.png

That's an awsome idea.

I'd love to see them implementing it ::'

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

Grapples were the worst idea Jagex could of come up with. Please, add a small agility jump or a bridge that needs agility. Anything other than wasting inventory space for a shortcut.

I never use grapples because they are so inconvenient vs. their usefulness.

Yes, I believe that it would be better. But the main idea is getting an agility shortcut there, which would be :thumbup:!

I agree with this idea, it has good potential! It's always a pain in the arse for me to get to southern Morytania, either for a Quest or whatever. No teleports, boatroutes, nothing! And I don't even Barrow, so it must really stink for the ones who do. This provides a quick and easy way to reach the parts of Morytania below Mort Myre, exactly what it needs to liven up.

But one thing! The whole quest structure of Morytania is created so that the player discovers Morytania bit by bit, beginning with Canifis and Fenkenstrain's Castle, via Mort Myre, to Mort'ton and Burgh de Rott. So this agility shortcut has to have a quest req, otherwise people will do the Nature Spirit quest without having to enter Mort Myre at all, or they'll be able to bank at Burgh de Rott before they can enter the whole of Morytania! I'm thinking In Aid of the Myreque as the req.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

[hide=thoughts on this]i'll give jagex the benefit of the doubt i guess; that they'll not overpower some areas or just make things easier for people that are a. too lazy to do a quest b. intentionally ignorant or just ignorant of what is available in these areas already.

many players come from f2p after playing several months on f2p and are used to those areas and so use them. some players do a quest to gain access to an area then continue on to the next quest without exploring or remembering what is available in those areas. some players do what everyone else does to train; i remember when i was brand new to the game i didnt know what i was doing at all and i would click on an area where i saw a lot of white dots just because there was a reason so many white dots were in one place and i wanted to know why.

i personally like uncrowded areas. so i have mixed feelings about some of this but i actually dont think people will change their habits too much NO MATTER WHAT jagex does so...

a big thing that changed camping was the addition of slayer. that changed how many people trained. i would like to see them expand the map actually. every spot doesnt need to be a popular spot or the next fastest way to train or gather something. many people do not make use of the current spots that are very good, so for those that do already, they're better players than those that dont; and i dont like the idea of enticing worse players by making things easier so they are "attracted" to an area.

there are some things that could do with an update but i hope they dont go overboard by making things too easy. i think people are downplaying the other half of the updates. jagex stated in bts 2009 they are making half the updates upgrades and the other half regular updates/new content. and having said that, they've already stated they had planned to make larger updates more common previously, so i have to believe there are several larger updates already being worked on and will most likely all be released in 2009.[/hide]

i would like to see them expand the map actually. i find a use for most areas; but for those areas that have absolutely no use maybe mountain daughter area after the quest... the white lands area after the quest... castle draken? elf kingdom? i guess its in the works? someday... rat pits are sadly a failure. all minigames could use a look at just to freshen things up. meaning possibly better prizes. pet rock and pet fish what were they thinking especially about the pet fish. though i have to admit it is exciting to think they'll be adding new content to the current map and existing areas. i hope things stay balanced though. but i like the idea of reworking and adding new content to old areas etc.

i'd like to see more bank space. ability to unset and make sets from bank tellers. the ability to make more types of sets and a solution for uri clues/bankspace among the updates of convienence.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

I think part of the problem too is simply teleports.

There are plenty of regions on the map that have potential, but the problem is RS's current travel methods. ALL of the basic spell book spells are in a small squeezed location around the center of the map. The only way to get far away on the edges of the map is by numerous quests, and even then, traveling is quite difficult (such as switching to lunar or ancients for teleports)

I think a few of the jewelry should be re-done to expand the locations we can easily travel.

I think this is a great idea! I just have a couple issues with this.

Examples I have are below

Ring of Dueling 8:

Castle Wars

Clan Wars

Al Kharid Duel Arena

Bounty Hunter

Games Necklace 8:

Burthrope Games Room

Barbaian Outpost

Stealing Creation

Trouble Brewing (After Cabin Fever)

Both of those are great, although if you were to create a necklace teleport to Trouble Brewing you'd have to consider what would become of the rum that currently teleports you there. Of course it could be removed from the game completely.

Amulet of Training 6: (Sapphire & Spun Willow Root)

Blast Furnace

Tears of Guthix

Temple Building (After Shades of Mort'ton)

Why not add these teleports to the Necklace of Binding and change its name. We could say that each 100 rune crafted with it uses up 1 charge, as does one teleport.

Amulet of Diversions 6: (Ruby & Spun Willow Root)

Circus Location

Phoenix Lair

Observatory

Larry

Also a good idea, but once again why not add it to an existing piece of jewelry, the Digsite Pendant. Honestly, 5 charges and all you can do is go to the digsite? Crazy! You could add these teleports to that and rename it. The only problem, then, is that the Digsite isn't exactly a Diversion or anything so it wouldn't "fit in" with the other teleports. Also, why teleport to the observatory?

Amulet of Fire 4: (Onyx & Spun Magic Root)

Recharged at Fight Caves for 2k tokuul. (1k with karajima gloves)

Fight Caves

Fight Pits

Firstly, I believe these should be added to the amulet of fury. It could be like the glory amulet, but recharged somehow in Tzharr, but preferably NOT with tokull. Also, the Fight Caves and the Fight Pits are both extremely close together. It seems a bit wasteful to have both.

Also, why teleport to the observatory?

Because of the telescope, my dear friend. With it you can see any meteorite falling towards our planet ;)

P.S. See my signature? See what it says? Good :twisted:

sighistorian.jpg

The overpass on that mountain to Tirawnn needs to be more appealing (Boat>Overpass)

There is also some apple mush place below the Grand Tree

The Training Grounds north of Ardougne. I seriously never knew it exsisted till 3 weeks ago and I've been a member for 12 months!

North of the Overpass. There is nothing there and its pretty much a place where you dont want/need to go.

Tower of Life. Never been there and those satchels were a mystory untill I found out they exsisted by mistake.

The ENTIRE P2P DESERT. I seriously forget that this place exsists sometimes. This is a place I wouldnt go to and pretty much advoid because of its non-inportance in my RS life.

South of Clan Wars. Also didnt know that there was even anything there for a while. Needs to be more attractive.

Thats pretty much all I can think about. Maybe Jagex wants to draw people into unexplored or unpopulated areas?

dozens of rangers all the time training there at the ogres

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Because of the telescope, my dear friend. With it you can see any meteorite falling towards our planet ;)

Hmm I wasn't aware that you could use that telescope to search for meteorites. Is there any benefit to using that telescope instead of the telescope in your player owned house? Does it give more precise readings?

Hmm I wasn't aware that you could use that telescope to search for meteorites. Is there any benefit to using that telescope instead of the telescope in your player owned house? Does it give more precise readings?

Hmm odd, I did some research, and found that I can no longer trust the Runescape Wiki for a 100% (or something close to that). The Observatory can't be used to see shooting stars, rather there is a scoreboard there listing the last five stars and the ones who found them. I rectified the fault.

sighistorian.jpg

Hmmm ... Crandor maybe ? AFAIK it was deserted because of the dragon ... most of us managed to slay ... now when the dragon is not under the island ... they could repopulate it :)

Nice idea! :thumbup:

sighistorian.jpg

...........maybe they could bring new life to the wildy......

BRING The WILDY BACK IN 09!!!!!!!!

No.

----

Well, I didn't know this thread was going to get so many responses. XD

I like the idea that they put new life into areas which has a history for being empty. The whole re-civilisation thing seems a neat concept.

I also agree with many of you who stated they should add a few more teleports around the the place, or at least patch up the few rubbish mini-games scattered around Runescape, Good mini-games always seem to draw in a large audience.

Thanks all for the input, made for a nice read :)

Hmmm ... Crandor maybe ? AFAIK it was deserted because of the dragon ... most of us managed to slay ... now when the dragon is not under the island ... they could repopulate it :)

Nice idea! :thumbup:

Crandor usually has a load of people on it fighting mosses in f2p.... also as a high lvl miner the the random addy rocks are v good :thumbup:

vivimancer.png