Firemaking, not a newb 99

AgentEarl

i don't even see 138s with firemaking capes. what you're saying is completely invalid. if people are making fun of you for wearing that cape, then they're jealous noobs that have no patience to get any 99s past cooking and fletching. seriously, try telling them to get 99 firemaking. they'll likely say nothing.

Maybe you dont see them because 99 firemaking has no benefits? Or maybe just because theres better capes lol.

I dont make fun of any skill cape, i just dont acknowledge a few, firemaking being one of them because it has no benefits and is pretty easy to achieve and is cheap as well.

If I train it burning maples I could make the money to buy it in 1-2 days. From there its just a whole lot of repetitive clicking.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every skill requires some amount of attention and costs. How much it's worth is all down to the individual. So what if people think it's a newbie skill? I say just walk away from their insults and be happy for your achievement. To be honest, the only reason why I see people putting certain skills down is because of how they're promoted in the game. Some skills we just take for granted like ranging. Where do the arrows come from? Fletching (and NPCs), but we don't really think about it, even while we're buying the arrows in mass amounts. What about food? Do you want to make all those anchovy pizzas or cook swordfish all the day long? Probably not. But others have and got 99 cooking to help supply those items for everyone, including those that are saying that it's a stupid skill. :roll:

Firemaking is being taken for granted because of the massive changes in the game over the years. The game initially didn't have that many stoves around so firemaking was needed to let players cook food more conveniently. Now of course we have places like the Al Kharid kebab store stove or the Edgeville stove that are so close to the bank that firemaking really isn't needed. So while the skill may seem useless now, it was very useful back then. Jagex did make an attempt to make firemaking a bit more useful with the lanterns and the beacons, but unfortunately the skill is still being overlooked and taken for granted. Unless you can think of more brilliant ideas to make firemaking more useful and more amazing that what its intended purpose is for, then I really don't think you can call this a worthless skill.

So think about it. What are those skills there for? If you don't run around needing those things, then yes you may think it's a worthless skill. But others who do may reap the rewards from their hard work.

newb 99 = oxymoron. if you have 99 firemaking, or any 99 for that matter, you are not a newb. Noob, maybe. But not because you are wearing a fm, cooking, or fletching cape.

If you think they are easy 99's, firstly, you better have that skill at 99. You should at least have one skill at 99 before you can even talk about 99s being nooby. 13m xp is a lot of xp. It still requires work, and money to get the xp.

If you don't think the 99 in that skill is worthy, don't wear the cape, don't even buy it. If you don't have these "newby" skill at 99, what are you?

35b9enp.jpg

It's annoying, but still very cheap and fast. That combination makes it called a "newb" 99.

Hunter is faster and you gain profit with it. Shouldn't that be more "newb" then?

Magic logs= 99 fm in 4 or 5 days, its a buyable noob skill.

theres no way a noob could buy that many magic logs

agent_earl.png

agent_earl.png

ANAHEIM DUCKS

How do people know they didn't do the skill for fun? If you think fun is clicking the same place over and over again without having to think at all then they would be playing this game http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml

Practically every skill is "clicking the same place over and over again." Welcome to Runescape.

You don't need to have a brain to click on your tinderbox and the second slot of your inventory, and then the third, and then the fourth, etc. And true, it isn't hard to go click on a fishing spot every time it moves but at least you have to be consciously aware of what you are doing and not just doing the same motion over and over again.

And really. At least cooking has a use if you want to cook your own sharks without burning them, but thats stupid because you could just sell your raws and then buy cooked ones already. So actually I was wrong, fletching, FM, and cooking are all pretty stupid 99's.

So what's the use of herblore? Or slayer? What about smithing, fishing, woodcutting, construction, farming, and runecrafting? All supposedly "respectable" skillcapes, yet none of them have any practical reasons for getting 99. Firemaking gets the inferno adze at 92. What does farming get? The last thing you can plant is torstol, which is useless for planting, and spirit trees, which you can plant at level 83...not even a quarter of the way to 99. Herblore loses money on every potion except super weapon poison, and even then it's only because the ingredients are untradable...it's always cheaper to sell the ingredients and just buy the potion than to make it yourself. I could go on, but I hope you see that "uselessness" is not a measure of "n00biness."

Smithing is respectable because of what it used to be. Plus you can make money using blast furnace and mith arrows or w/e. Fishing can be done for money. Woodcutting can be done for money. Construction has the "I have a better house than you" factor to it. Farming can be done for money. Runecrafting... done for money. Herblore used to be able to net you money. I really don't think many people go for 99 herblore now a days and if you farm your own herbs which is not a big time commitment then you could theoretically break even.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I don't deny fm takes some time and concentration. maybe not as much as cooking or fletch, but who honestly enjoys burning cash? why not use that time wisely and get close to 99 in a different skill u enjoy? u get 99 fm for a shiny cape. and usually it's untrimmed, which says even more about the person wearing it. I'm getting 99 mining. fm is nowhere close to as difficult as mining, since u can't buy the materials needed to achieve 99. all u get is a

rune pick. and lots of rocks to click on. and it gets respect because u cant buy it and it is slow as hell. if u are sick of people putting down ur fm cape, take it off, stash it somewhere in your bank, get a respectable 99 (probably in a skill uve always wanted 99 in) and wear the cape I've always wanted proudly, not a cape that u think u deserve respect for just because u have a cape and they don't. if someone goes to me and says "where's ur fm/fletch/cook cape?" I laugh because I can easily get 99 in any of those 3 skills, and I don't because they're worthless, and I'm getting 99 in a skill I enjoy.

the only time I respect 99 fm is if that player has 99s in skills such as herb, slayer, prayer, mining, smith, and rc and they choose to wear the fm cape over those. that person is truly dedicated to fm, and that's the only time it deserves so much as an iota of respect.

i never said i dont want to wear my cape, i love it and im proud of it

agent_earl.png

agent_earl.png

ANAHEIM DUCKS

You don't need to have a brain to click on your tinderbox and the second slot of your inventory, and then the third, and then the fourth, etc. And true, it isn't hard to go click on a fishing spot every time it moves but at least you have to be consciously aware of what you are doing and not just doing the same motion over and over again.

Firemaking takes more skill to train effectively than a lot of other skills. Ever hear of backwards firemaking? It takes some practice to get the hang of, but it speeds up your experience significantly if you never need to run to and from the bank. If clicking from tinderbox to log is mindless, then the skill is no more mindless than strength, construction, fishing, mining, herblore, hunter, woodcutting, runecrafting, or pretty much any other skill. Like I said, welcome to Runescape.

Smithing is respectable because of what it used to be. Plus you can make money using blast furnace and mith arrows or w/e.
The money you make is pathetically slow. You can make faster money with no skills at all. And mith bolts don't even need level 70, let alone level 99.
Fishing can be done for money. Woodcutting can be done for money.
Both of those are crap for profit. They top out at the same speed as pure essence mining' date=' which only requires 41 mining. You can make better cash buying bananas from the Catherby charter ship than you can cutting magic logs at 99 wc or catching sharks at 99 fishing. A player with 99 fishing can't make money any faster than a player with 70 fishing, or for that matter, 1 fishing.
Construction has the "I have a better house than you" factor to it.
The furniture you make at 99 is functionally identical to the firniture you make at 80. So your throne is made of magic stones instead of teak, who cares? It's still only for show.
Farming can be done for money.
That's just as easy to do at level 32 as it is at level 99. There's no benefit to training all the way to a skillcape.
Runecrafting... done for money.
Do you craft airs for money? Because if you don't' date=' then 91 runecrafting is going to be functionally identical to 99.
Herblore used to be able to net you money. I really don't think many people go for 99 herblore now a days and if you farm your own herbs which is not a big time commitment then you could theoretically break even.
Even if you could make a profit off herblore, which you can't, the highest potion is level 85 for Zamorak Mix (which nobody uses). After that, there's no benefit to further herblore experience.

You're only fooling yourself here... :shame:

Unless you can think of more brilliant ideas to make firemaking more useful and more amazing that what its intended purpose is for

Flaming weapons! \'

I don't know why everybody in RuneScape is interested in every other single person except themselves. If somebody wants a "buyable" 99, why the hell should anybody care? Just be happy for them instead of putting them down. :thumbup:

Yay, a smart bloke.

Note: Nothing in this game is ' hard work', it's clicking + alot of time.

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

Well I'm currently slowly working on 99 firemaking because:

A. I want the inferno adze (Even though it's only a level 92 requirement)

B. I want to trim my strength cape finally...

I want a skill that isn't that easy like cooking, and takes some effort. I actually enjoy firemaking for some freakish reason :wall:

100111011101.png

5417.png

I don't understand why people assume you want "respect" whenever you go for a level 99 skill. I trained my firemaking skill to level 99 because I think the emote is kinda cool. It's no more nooby than trying to get a santa/p hat/whatever because you like how they look. And the fact that the cape has decent stats is a bonus. (Especially when it's trimmed now)

If you dislike fishing but see it as the best money maker for you and so do fishing until you can buy an AGS, are you a noob?

Skill capes look good, people want them. Yes, people may work for a 99 and not enjoy the grinding, are they really noobs because of it?

Zerker_jane.png

IMO, why do you care what other people say? Just go along with it. You won't die.

And, I feel that if you don't enjoy the skill and just get it for the cape, you don't deserve any form of respect for the cape. I don't care whether if it is a Runecrafting cape or a farming cape, after all, it's a game. It's all about having fun isn't it?

Am I the only one who thinks FM is fun?

Nope, i liked training fm too. ::'

I have 99 cook, and I mainly got it for the profit, which was about 5M. :lol:

And i'm pretty sure other people got 99 cook for that reason too. ::'

Roe.png

It's a cool looking cape and does require a lot of effort but its cheap and fast and thus IS "nooby".

*points to sig*

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't find FM incredibly fun, it has no variety in training and like a lot of other skills it gets repetitive. If someone wants to click mindlessly for hours on end then they shouldn't be playing the game, but people should understand that there are people that do enjoy training it and we shouldn't put a damper on their achievement just because we can't see the fun in that skill. I see people get 99 RuneCrafting, and I think "why?". Obviously they enjoy training and receiving the cash rewards it brings, I shouldn't put them down just because I hate the skill.

It's not about how hard the skill is or whatever. It's about the attitude.

Firemaking is one of the most boring and useless skills. If you have 99 firemaking as your only 99, it shows you just wanted a skill cape really badly and went for a quick and cheap one (yet very boring and, and therefore, you *could* consider it hard). People hate you cause you just went for a cape, not for the enjoyment of the skill.

Nowhere did I say I considered my 99 ranged or magic to be harder than 99 magic. I just said they are way more useful. And while you just grinded your way from lvl 70-99, I got my lvls up to lvl 90 + without any grinding. (else, I'd be 99 already 3 years ago). That's why I think you are a newb, and I'm not. Might be shortsighted, but hey, how cant you be in an online game.

Am I the only one who thinks FM is fun?

I liked fm too. Especially making fires on the paths of other people. ::'

And really. At least cooking has a use if you want to cook your own sharks without burning them, but thats stupid because you could just sell your raws and then buy cooked ones already. So actually I was wrong, fletching, FM, and cooking are all pretty stupid 99's.

So what's the use of herblore? Or slayer? What about smithing, fishing, woodcutting, construction, farming, and runecrafting? All supposedly "respectable" skillcapes, yet none of them have any practical reasons for getting 99. Firemaking gets the inferno adze at 92. What does farming get? The last thing you can plant is torstol, which is useless for planting, and spirit trees, which you can plant at level 83...not even a quarter of the way to 99. Herblore loses money on every potion except super weapon poison, and even then it's only because the ingredients are untradable...it's always cheaper to sell the ingredients and just buy the potion than to make it yourself. I could go on, but I hope you see that "uselessness" is not a measure of "n00biness."

He has a point there. The only skills that are worth training to 99 are extraction skills (wc, mining, etc.), smithing, cooking and cons, for these have uses on lvl 99.

priest_wiz.png

Seriously, ignore them!

I made a thread about this subject a while ago, and as usual, opinions rammed throught it, and although Firemaking is faster then many other skills, it's still a hard achievement, and deserves it's due respect.

Now many will come up and say "You can buy the materials, so you can buy the skill" - Sure, you can buy the materials, but you cant buy the time processing them, wich will add up.

Other might say: "Skills like prayer or smithing or herblore or[any other of those highly EXPENSIVE skills] are better then FM/cooking/ fletching" - This is a clicking game, everything is the same, the only thing that changes is the time spent on the skill.

Another opinion is: "Many people have it" - So what? Many, many, many more people have 99 in combat skills, specially in strenght, althought these skils aren't considered as "n00by" as the classic threesome.

"All you have to do is click all the way" - If you go throught that argument, then think of skills like woodcutting and fishing: click and afk for a while. And to generalise, this game is ALL about clicking, sometimes more, sometimes less, but clicking is what makes this game work

"It doesnt bring any useful rewards" - Well, firemaking brings you the adze at lv 92, Do you want to say to me what does Herblore/Agility/Mining/Prayer/Smithing brings at lv 92 that you will REALLY use? Even if you say smithing brings you rune smithing, ou will get your rune set back faster by kiling green dragons, GWD bosses and Runecrafting, wich is one of the few skills i respect above others. Also, skills such as Mining and agility ARE EXACTLY LIKE Firemaking, but cheaper, as you dont spend nearly as much as you spend in Firemaking, it's all clicking in the same spot over and over again, and bring less rewards, as rune mining isn't as profitable as it as before, and agility is pretty much useless past 99, while firemaking gives you the Inferno Adze, so why getting 99 in those skills if it isn't either for the cape or for enjoying the skill (hopefully the last one). The only difference is that agility and Mining take both a little more time then Firemaking.

And to the record, only do skills you truly enjoy, i did some Defence training until i decided to get 99 Firemaking, and although defence is my favourite combat skill, it was Boring! Firemaking turned out to be a surprise! Sitting in edgeville, talking to other TIFers, to friends, having spare time to do everything you want is just better then sitting in a desertic training spot, killing monsters and afk'ing.

Peace

Seriously, ignore them!

I made a thread about this subject a while ago, and as usual, opinions rammed throught it, and although Firemaking is faster then many other skills, it's still a hard achievement, and deserves it's due respect.

Now many will come up and say "You can buy the materials, so you can buy the skill" - Sure, you can buy the materials, but you cant buy the time processing them, wich will add up.

Other might say: "Skills like prayer or smithing or herblore or[any other of those highly EXPENSIVE skills] are better then FM/cooking/ fletching" - This is a clicking game, everything is the same, the only thing that changes is the time spent on the skill.

Another opinion is: "Many people have it" - So what? Many, many, many more people have 99 in combat skills, specially in strenght, althought these skils aren't considered as "n00by" as the classic threesome.

"All you have to do is click all the way" - If you go throught that argument, then think of skills like woodcutting and fishing: click and afk for a while. And to generalise, this game is ALL about clicking, sometimes more, sometimes less, but clicking is what makes this game work

"It doesnt bring any useful rewards" - Well, firemaking brings you the adze at lv 92, Do you want to say to me what does Herblore/Agility/Mining/Prayer/Smithing brings at lv 92 that you will REALLY use? Even if you say smithing brings you rune smithing, ou will get your rune set back faster by kiling green dragons, GWD bosses and Runecrafting, wich is one of the few skills i respect above others. Also, skills such as Mining and agility ARE EXACTLY LIKE Firemaking, but cheaper, as you dont spend nearly as much as you spend in Firemaking, it's all clicking in the same spot over and over again, and bring less rewards, as rune mining isn't as profitable as it as before, and agility is pretty much useless past 99, while firemaking gives you the Inferno Adze, so why getting 99 in those skills if it isn't either for the cape or for enjoying the skill (hopefully the last one). The only difference is that agility and Mining take both a little more time then Firemaking.

And to the record, only do skills you truly enjoy, i did some Defence training until i decided to get 99 Firemaking, and although defence is my favourite combat skill, it was Boring! Firemaking turned out to be a surprise! Sitting in edgeville, talking to other TIFers, to friends, having spare time to do everything you want is just better then sitting in a desertic training spot, killing monsters and afk'ing.

Peace

Rune mining is more profitable than ever... Lol.

And explain to me how you can have spare time, talk, hang out with friends while firemaking. You cant. If you are, then you arent firemaking.

[hide=Quotes]

Seriously, ignore them!

Peace

And explain to me how you can have spare time, talk, hang out with friends while firemaking. You cant. If you are, then you arent firemaking.

[/hide]

Rune mining used to be more profitable, although now its kinda returning to it's former glory. And sheer competition for spots has made it ineficcient.

And, i don't like grinding skills, specially when going for higher lvs, it just makes the skill plain boring, and thus, unenjoyable. Therefore, i choose to sometimes interrupt my training and answer to friends that are online or to participate in Forsakenmage's Clan Chat, and talk to other firemakers or TIFers then spending those hours, loosing friends in game and not socializing IRL. Grinding just makes this game not worth it. I would rather turn off my PC and go spend sometime with my friends then grinding a skill.

And i think you have the same atitude judging by your previous posts. ;)

[hide=Quotes]
Seriously, ignore them!

Peace

[/hide]

Rune mining used to be more profitable, although now its kinda returning to it's former glory. And sheer competition for spots has made it ineficcient.

And, i don't like grinding skills, specially when going for higher lvs, it just makes the skill plain boring, and thus, unenjoyable. Therefore, i choose to sometimes interrupt my training and answer to friends that are online or to participate in Forsakenmage's Clan Chat, and talk to other firemakers or TIFers then spending those hours, loosing friends in game and not socializing IRL. Grinding just makes this game not worth it. I would rather turn off my PC and go spend sometime with my friends then grinding a skill.

Dont know about the competition on spot, havent done it in a while. But people are claiming they are making over 1M an hour with rune mining...

Anyway, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that this applies to every skill. You can hang out while training defence too etc. Just, the *actual* firemaking is uber boring. There's no way around that.

And yes, I dont like grinding skills either. However, I'm not very social on rs either. I like browsing forums in the mean time. Also, explain me how you socialize IRL while playing runescape?

[hide=Quotes]
Seriously, ignore them!

Peace

[/hide]

And, i don't like grinding skills, specially when going for higher lvs, it just makes the skill plain boring, and thus, unenjoyable. Therefore, i choose to sometimes interrupt my training and answer to friends that are online or to participate in Forsakenmage's Clan Chat, and talk to other firemakers or TIFers then spending those hours, loosing friends in game and not socializing IRL. Grinding just makes this game not worth it. I would rather turn off my PC and go spend sometime with my friends then grinding a skill.And i think you have the same atitude judging by your previous posts. ;)

Dont know about the competition on spot, havent done it in a while. But people are claiming they are making over 1M an hour with rune mining...

Anyway, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out that this applies to every skill. You can hang out while training defence too etc. Just, the *actual* firemaking is uber boring. There's no way around that.

And yes, I dont like grinding skills either. However, I'm not very social on rs either. I like browsing forums in the mean time. Also, explain me how you socialize IRL while playing runescape?

No, he said he would rather be out socialsing then grinding out a skill..

WHY DO PEOPLE CARE, what somebody else that they will never meet think of them, or what they are doing. :wall:

Nobody ever will answer that question. #-o

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

[hide=more quotes]

[hide=Quotes]
Seriously, ignore them!

Peace

[/hide]

[hide=Even more quotes]Rune mining used to be more profitable, although now its kinda returning to it's former glory. And sheer competition for spots has made it ineficcient.

[/hide]

Well, socializing Irl canbe done with Windows Live Messenger and/or a webcam, although meeting are definatly better :thumbsup:

Also, with that many people advertising rune mining, i guess it will be overcrowded soon 8-)