The End?

TheDayRsDied

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

http://www.mechscapeworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3932&pid=44587

In June 2008 Iddison said "Runescape has 10 years of good growth" [49]. Henrique was fairly optimistic when asked about RuneScape's future in a September 2008 interview, saying: "If we are to see a boxed version of RuneScape at some time it would just be to gain space on the shelves, and to reach a new market we haven't reached before. Digital distribution is the way to go for us. Regarding the future of RuneScape, we don't know how long RuneScape will live. As far as I can tell it's going to live forever, because every other successful MMO I've played before is still going on and going strong. If you look at Ultima Online, it's still out there. The RuneScape growth trend has been around a 35% increase every year in userbase. We have seen that over and over again. We have not experienced a dip in new users since 2001. As far as I can tell, RuneScape will continue to grow, and grow strongly. We have long plans for RuneScape. So, if you are a RuneScape player, or intending to join the game, you can be sure that it's going to last for a long time" [50].

:roll:

In 2008 Jagex CEO Geoff Iddison stated that RuneScape "will be the main investment focus for Jagex for the next five years".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7090490.stm

Of course, it is a widely known fact that that business leaders never contradict themselves.

Do me a favor and look at the dates in the article. Later on in the year he extends it to 10 years.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt RS will ever stop receiving updates unless Jagex falls as a company. It's Jagex's main income; if they stopped updating the game, they'd leave many players pissed & would end up losing a massive part of their player base.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

I like how no one relizes the "runescape" team, will more than likely not be working on mechscape. It always makes me laugh when people think if jagex is making X quest, than they are not working on nothing else. Companies have teams, jagex most likely has a whole new workforce for mechscape.

Also, mechscape is clearly aimed at a difference userbase, why would jagex want one game to steal from their other game?

Jag cannot pick and choose who plays and does not play an individual game. Fans of Jagex games will likley play other Jagex games, like how Fun Orb almost entirely relies on RS players. Except Mech Scape seems like it is intended to be truly a completely seperate game, which will then, as an mmorpg, be a competitor with RS.

What?

Thanks for not turning this into a flame thread or a debate Theday, I appreciate it. :thumbup: :)

As for Runescape being neglected, this likely won't happen. I have read some interviews with the actual people behind runescape, and they enjoy the game as much as the players themselves. They will continue to update this game as long as the number of people paying for runescape or the number of people joining exceeds the number of people quitting, simply because they enjoy the game, they want it to stay alive until it loses them money. How future games will affect the updates... you can count on them being reduced, unless they have another staff apart from the runescape staff working on future games, and since developing a game is harder than updating it, the runescape team will not lose members, ensuring frequent updates.

As for the grandmaster quest, that was jagex saying the following. "Ok, so you have high levels and you've done all the quests. Good job, now here's something that will challenge you more than anything we've released so far."

I has herd, that lesser demons, MAY or may not, drop tormented demons. \:D/ :roll: :x :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

Due to a typo, I am now stuck with 1k dragon darts and no buyer. Can I has bail out from tip.it plox?

Jag cannot pick and choose who plays and does not play an individual game. Fans of Jagex games will likley play other Jagex games, like how Fun Orb almost entirely relies on RS players. Except Mech Scape seems like it is intended to be truly a completely seperate game, which will then, as an mmorpg, be a competitor with RS.
What?

Essentially, if most current RuneScape players quit to play MechScape instead, RuneScape will die.

I doubt this will happen, I believe he was just making a point

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

* He said in 2007 that it'd be the main investment focus (as in have the most money chucked at it).

* He said in 2008 that it'd be supported _at least_ for another five years (it can still be main investment focus for first 4 of those years... no contradiction).

* He said later in 2008 that it had 10 years of good growth. This means one can assume they will keep it going for at least another 10 years, which does not contradict it being the main investment focus for 5 years from 2007 and *at least* have 5 yeas support from the earlier 2008 statement (no contradictions).

* He does not say that RuneScape will be shut down after 10 years, or that RuneScape will be the main investment focus up until the 10 year point. He does not even specifically say it will not be their main investment focus after 5 years from 2007.

* They intend to continue developing RuneScape for more languages and to enter new markets.

* Jagex did recruit some people from the RuneScape teams to work on MechScape, but a lot of the people were specifically hired to work on MechScape and wouldn't have been hired otherwise (same with FunOrb).

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

http://www.mechscapeworld.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3932&pid=44587

In June 2008 Iddison said "Runescape has 10 years of good growth" [49]. Henrique was fairly optimistic when asked about RuneScape's future in a September 2008 interview, saying: "If we are to see a boxed version of RuneScape at some time it would just be to gain space on the shelves, and to reach a new market we haven't reached before. Digital distribution is the way to go for us. Regarding the future of RuneScape, we don't know how long RuneScape will live. As far as I can tell it's going to live forever, because every other successful MMO I've played before is still going on and going strong. If you look at Ultima Online, it's still out there. The RuneScape growth trend has been around a 35% increase every year in userbase. We have seen that over and over again. We have not experienced a dip in new users since 2001. As far as I can tell, RuneScape will continue to grow, and grow strongly. We have long plans for RuneScape. So, if you are a RuneScape player, or intending to join the game, you can be sure that it's going to last for a long time" [50].

:roll:

Didn't JaGex also say that mobilising armies was coming out 3 months? It's never about what they say now, if everyone on rs goes to mechscape then rs will shut down. It may last for years,it may not.

Foolish, Runescape won't die simply because it was the basis of Jagex's money. The difference is that with the move from RSC to RS2 was that it was expanding on the game, not making a new one.

Jagex will continue to have runescape running(even if there aren't any updates) because there is such a large fanbase now that the players would be apalled if they didn't. They may stop updating, but there will still be Runescape :D

I doubt RS will end. It will only expand.

Consider that Mechscape is in heavy development now, which should be the most labour intensive aspect of it's existence, and Runescape is still getting updated regularly and updated well.

The only thing Jagex need to be wary of is their members. Consider that most P2P players are adults or teens, who appreciate good content. Also consider that people complete things before Jagex releases new things, 99s for instance. This can lead to people getting bored.

IMO, if I were Jagex, alongside the release of Mechscape, I would add another third of the map to Runescape, remove the level cap, tonnes of new quests and monsters.

The reasoning behind this? Well. Nobody likes to miss out of the start of an MMORPG. So all those paying members from RS would want to join up for mechscape.. for atleast a month. But on the other hand, with LOTS of new content added, they won't want to leave runescape for a while to play mechscape.. which is exactly what they would do if they only had a few quests to complete.. mastered a few mini games and got a couple 99s.

[hide=quote from 2009 BTS]

Well, at the end of my first newspost, I just want to thank you all for your continued support through 2008, and I look forward to seeing you all in Gielinor in 2009.

Happy New Year!

Mod Vince

Head of RuneScape

[/hide]

He's new right, so if Runescape was going to end why would they bother?

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

If it does get 'tossed out' I'll go play another game quiet happily. :)

IMO somebody will buy the game and they will continue to update it - what way the buying would take the game - who knows.

:thumbup:

End of the game --- DOES NOT meen end of the world. :|

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

IMO somebody will buy the game and they will continue to update it - what way the buying would take the game - who knows.

I don't see how another company could make more money from RuneScape than Jagex who have the expertise, the brand, the tools and the infrastructure.

ren_tbv450.png

I like how no one relizes the "runescape" team, will more than likely not be working on mechscape. It always makes me laugh when people think if jagex is making X quest, than they are not working on nothing else. Companies have teams, jagex most likely has a whole new workforce for mechscape.

Also, mechscape is clearly aimed at a difference userbase, why would jagex want one game to steal from their other game?

Google the term "target demographic"

Runescape is primarily marketed towards teens between 13 and 18

Mechscape, from what I know, is purported to be target more towards a more mature audience

honestly i think it would be cool to have a game marketed towards adults and i hope they go in that direction with it

i see nothing wrong with a little cursing, drug use, and sex

it adds a level of realism to an otherwise outlandish concept

anyway you also have to consider the different types of nerd

you have your fantasy nerd who's into the runescape world, D&D, lord of the rings, and the like

then your sci-fi nerd who's into mechscape, Star wars, Gundam, or whatever else

i mean really the potential for both games to thrive is huge

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

The gowers have already delagated vincent(dunno his full name) to take control of rs, so up until the point where runescape is making either a loss, or a very pathetic profit, it'll keep on going...jagex will likely hire completely new staff for mechscape.

2Xeo5.png

jagex will likely hire completely new staff for mechscape.

Likely to hire? They already have. As I stated in my article on MechScape they likely have around 40 people working directly on MechScape (around 20 in graphics, 5 in quality assurance, 13 in content development, a website designer and the Head of MechScape). Rarely has a month gone by when they haven't been advertising for some position on the MechScape team. Of course they'll need to get more customer support too.

ren_tbv450.png

They never said that they would close runescape down in 5 years, Just that it is going to be the main project for Jagex. Even if they stop updating it i highly dought it would be dropped instantly. Classic hasnt been updated for years but its still there.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

SNIP

This is something a lot of people have been questioning as it goes against the logic of most people.

I'll try to explain.

Firstly in Business you have Target Markets (A Demographic is something that defines a person, a market is something broader encompassing more than Demographic variables. For example Age is a demographic, Interests falls in Target Market). These target markets are segments of the much larger Marketplace. The marketplace in which Jagex is doing battle is the online gaming community. They have broken their attack into 4 distinct segments. Casual Gamers, Fantasy-Gamers, Science Fiction Gamers, and the Mystery Third MMO they're making.

The traits of each group can be described to a degree of the following:

Casual: Little time, playing in-between something (work, homework), any age

Fantasy-Gamers: Good deal of time (to Quest, raise skills), Enjoys Medieval Lore/legends, Enjoys Magic and Mystical elements

Sci-Fi-Gamers: Good deal of time, Enjoys Futuristic outlook, Looks for Mechanical and Machines

Mystery: It's a mystery

There's a great deal of deviation in each of those (A person can have little time and still enjoy RS, they can be solely playing FunOrb not in-between things). The point I am getting at is that yes there are different segments Jagex is looking at. They are also trying to preempt the Futuristic field. Runescape is known for being "For little kids" and most "Serious" MMO players will scoff at the game. Runescape will never attract that audience and Jagex is not trying to. Instead they are looking to sneak around those who get bored with WoW or Guild Wars and want something fresh and new to play. This "Futuristic" element is a Weakness in most MMO's sides. Most of the popular games are Fantasy based. Jagex has a golden opportunity.

Unfortunately Jagex is not the leader in Futuristic MMOs. Most of you are probably aware of MechQuest. Now this site has leadership in Mech based MMOs but with Jagexs muscle (Marketing Budget and Technical Prowess in Java) they can become the easy winner SO LONG AS people don't associate MechScape with RuneScape (It's very unfortunate about the name. I hope for Jagex's sake it'll change. That's called Line-Extension).

In Summary: Jagex is looking to reach a different target market. There is deviation in the target markets so the extremes do overlap. I'm sure the executives at Jagex took into account for loss in RS for gain in MechScape. The "Mech" style is a Weakness in most MMO's sides. There is no one addressing that target market so they are creating a new category in which they can be a leader. Unfortunately MechQuest has already been established as the leader but Jagex has many resources working for them and will easily trounce them. One caveat is that Jagex should change the name of MechScape as it is too similar to RuneScape. This is called line extension and always leads to loss in the long term (an exception to a degree being Coca-Cola).

For Further Information see:

Differentiate or Die

The New Positioning

I never said I thought they would close it down completely. There is probably very little reason to keep RSC online to entertain the 150-400 players on there. They do anyway. My established concern is that it would no longer be updated. I think that updates are going to be gradually scaled down in the next five years, and eventually stopped.

That might even be a good thing. Then the entire game wont have to be changed every time a nub gets killed or scammed in order to "protect" them. But that is another issue. :wall:

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

if everyone on rs goes to mechscape then rs will shut down. It may last for years,it may not.

I seriously doubt players with cb 130+ and skills 90+ will instantly quit RS just to play Mechscape.

What I expect will happen is an crossover quest hyping up Mechscape & the final quest of the current storyline (Which as a F2P'er I don't have a clue what's it all about) on either launch day of MS or the weeks before, during and after so that players have time to tie-up loose ends, create an account and just say goodbye to those who'll keep on playing RS instead of switching over. Of course they'll be big clan reunion events and such like but I feel it's probably going to feel like the last day of school before those who are going college/university and those that are staying around in town.

Of course after all the switchover and goodbyes, they'll bring in a new storylines and expansion to keep those still paying & playing RS, well, paying & playing it. :lol:

Eventually in the long term, if all goes to Jagex's plans, Mechscape will become the flagship and then the future of keeping RS will be very uncertain. But we're not talking for at least 7-9 years here. By then in all honesty, I hope to be doing better things with my time than playing MMRPG's online ;)

sherman2k.png

That might even be a good thing. Then the entire game wont have to be changed every time a nub gets killed or scammed in order to "protect" them.

You're right, that's totally why they instituted the trading limits. I don't know where I heard of that rumor about "credit card fraud" and "banks refusing to accept credit card payments."

Clearly, those things were all fallacies and they did it to protect the scammed victims.

hzvjpwS.gif

The '5 years' statement was a minimum, worst case scenario. Since the game is experiencing far from a worst case scenario, Jagex won't abandon the game any time soon. They can't right now, it's such a uniquely formatted game that there's probably nobody else who could run it properly.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I can hear the screaming rants already if it did.

if everyone on rs goes to mechscape then rs will shut down. It may last for years,it may not.

I seriously doubt players with cb 130+ and skills 90+ will instantly quit RS just to play Mechscape.

What I expect will happen is an crossover quest hyping up Mechscape & the final quest of the current storyline (Which as a F2P'er I don't have a clue what's it all about) on either launch day of MS or the weeks before, during and after so that players have time to tie-up loose ends, create an account and just say goodbye to those who'll keep on playing RS instead of switching over. Of course they'll be big clan reunion events and such like but I feel it's probably going to feel like the last day of school before those who are going college/university and those that are staying around in town.

Of course after all the switchover and goodbyes, they'll bring in a new storylines and expansion to keep those still paying & playing RS, well, paying & playing it. :lol:

Eventually in the long term, if all goes to Jagex's plans, Mechscape will become the flagship and then the future of keeping RS will be very uncertain. But we're not talking for at least 7-9 years here. By then in all honesty, I hope to be doing better things with my time than playing MMRPG's online ;)

You've got a point, if anything, it would be just those who come by this game occasionally who would quit. The loyal players might actually hop mems between games.

Mems? Interesting..

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

(It's very unfortunate about the name. I hope for Jagex's sake it'll change. That's called Line-Extension).

It could happen, but they have registered *a lot of domains* and trademarks (including a logo) for MechScape, and are still using the name. So it is not just a code name (like Whistler or NextScape). Of course they could always have a last-minute change of heart, but they probably see the -Scape association with RuneScape as an asset not a liability. Thanks for the whole marketing perspective, tho.

ren_tbv450.png